NBA returning to Seattle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Outfield

Reaction score
Windhorst made a typo. Relocation vote is still this week...

Brian Windhorst ‏@WindhorstESPN 4m
Sorry, typo in last tweet. I forgot we were already in next week. NBA owners expected to vote on Kings relocation THIS week, Wednesday.

The Outfield

Reaction score
This tells me he didn't really hear anything except that the recommendation didn't change... which isn't a huge deal. If the recommendation changes, they might have to wait another week and maybe they don't want to do that.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Read an article that stated that Hansen/Balmer dealing with Maloofs without his input has Stern bothered. KJ has included Stern in every move Sacramento has made.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Chris Daniels was just on with Softy. Said that Hansen and co. and Sac group will both give one last presentation to the BOG on Wednesday before the relocation vote.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
The Outfield":2o7vgifd said:
This tells me he didn't really hear anything except that the recommendation didn't change... which isn't a huge deal. If the recommendation changes, they might have to wait another week and maybe they don't want to do that.
According to Chris Daniels the recommendation didn't change because there was never going to be a vote. This meeting was just to get the committee up to speed on the recent bid change by Hansen. Nothing more.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2b1opgms said:
The Outfield":2b1opgms said:
According to Chris Daniels the recommendation didn't change because there was never going to be a vote. This meeting was just to get the committee up to speed on the recent bid change by Hansen. Nothing more.

Exactly. Easy to say "they didn't change their mind on relocation" when that wasn't the discussion. Just as accurate (and equally pointless) to say, "they didn't change their mind about peeing on an electric fence being bad for your health".

vedthree

Reaction score
Nothing that happens this week is going to sway my opinion - good or bad. I'm pretty sure it will be one of the following: the NBA will delay the BoG vote, or the full BoG will vote "No" on the relocation. (and the media will go nuts about it, another round of sky-is-falling, etc)

But nothing matters until the full BoG votes on the sale. They'll try and put it off as long as possible, and in the meantime make hollow threats to H/B/N about keeping them in Sacto - but they're just screaming because Seattle has them by the balls. The only out the NBA has is if H/B/N voluntarily withdraws their purchase offer, and that obviously ain't happening without an expansion team to buy him off. This week is just the NBA getting in it's last round of pointless chest-pounding.

1. If the Sale's approved, the Kings' are immediately on the way here. None of the prior relocation votes matter, because Sacramento then longer has an arena plan (it was contingent on their owner group putting in $250M
2. If the Sale's rejected, then the real fireworks begin - because that's when both the Maloofs' & H/B/N can file their Anti-Trust cases. And then the true genius of the back-up offer comes into play. Maloofs still own them and are now flush with cash to operate a lame-duck franchise for 1-2 seasons, and Sacto's arena deal still evaporates. Then H/B/N just sit back and let the Maloofs do the dirtywork of Bennetting the team out of Sacto next season. (not to mention Hansen has ROFR as minority owner if the NBA is stupid enough to try and keep the local ownership group in play)

That's the Ace H/B/N slammed on the table - "Swallow your medicine, take a PR hit you can quickly recover from and give us the Kings now ... or sit through 1-2 years of Sacto getting the same scorched-earth treatment Seattle got while it also hits your bottom line in revenue sharing & TV negotiations - your choice."

Laloosh

Reaction score
Love what you're selling vedthree. I'm just wondering why we haven't heard more legal experts making the statement that H/B/N have more firm legal footing. Most of the reports that I see (from neutral parties) claim that he "might" have "some" grounds for a case but that chances are not good for success.

Hans has been quick to reassure us that legally, H/B/N are more than solid but this doesn't explain why we're not hearing similar things from other sources.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":16quk2po said:
Love what you're selling vedthree. I'm just wondering why we haven't heard more legal experts making the statement that H/B/N have more firm legal footing. Most of the reports that I see (from neutral parties) claim that he "might" have "some" grounds for a case but that chances are not good for success.

Hans has been quick to reassure us that legally, H/B/N are more than solid but this doesn't explain why we're not hearing similar things from other sources.

David Aldridge did a piece were he cited an anonymous memo from a legal expert that said HBN have grounds for a Anti Trust Lawsuit. It's for real.

Sac

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":1mfddalh said:
David Aldridge did a piece were he cited an anonymous memo from a legal expert that said HBN have grounds for a Anti Trust Lawsuit. It's for real.

Some guy wrote something citing an anonymous source stating that one group has grounds for legal action against another.

Now that DOES sound legit.

Laloosh

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":cxzsryap said:
E.C. Laloosh":cxzsryap said:

Have a link?

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":2bghviuj said:
TheRealDTM":2bghviuj said:

Some guy wrote something citing an anonymous source stating that one group has grounds for legal action against another.

Some guy? :34853_doh:

Laloosh

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":3hac64gu said:
TheRealDTM":3hac64gu said:

SacHawk, please... just... don't. :poundhead:

Laloosh

Reaction score
Found it...

A memo I have obtained details a potential framework for legal action, citing the Sherman Act's prohibition against group boycotts. In this instance, the (unauthored) memo argues, the league would be vulnerable to a lawsuit by the Hansen group based on the Haywood case won by Spencer Haywood against the league in 1971. That case allowed Haywood to sign a contract to play in the NBA despite not having graduated from college, the existing rule at the time for eligibility. Haywood successfully argued that financial hardship necessitated him coming into the league immediately.
The memo's author argues that Hansen could successfully sue the NBA because if owners vote to reject the sale of the team to him, they would be engaging in a similar group boycott that the Supreme Court ruled was illegal in the Haywood case.
http://www.nba.com/2013/news/features/d ... index.html

Sac

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":2ooo8hdw said:
SacHawk2.0":2ooo8hdw said:
TheRealDTM":2ooo8hdw said:

SacHawk, please... just... don't. :poundhead:

What? :grin:

vedthree

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":1ibf81he said:

Good point & question. Personally, I think it's a combination of factors:

1.) Lots of the "sports law" experts on TV and doing the radio-circuit interviews have close ties to the Leagues and/or are employed by a Network with vested interests in protecting the Leagues. Not exactly the best source for unbiased info (for example, I think it was McCann on 710am right after the relocation committee vote was asked to give his "advice" for future strategy and it sounded exactly like a bullet-point list of the NBA's talking points .... "back off, play nice, wait and make a play for another team, yadda, yadda ... )
2.) Just because some one is an expert in sports & entertainment law doesn't mean they're an expert in anti-trust law. Completely different fields and rules of play. A good lawyer can spend his entire career working with the NBA - contracts, marketing deals, agency, administering the rules under the CBA, etc, and never once deal with an Anti-Trust issue. So it could simply be beyond their realm of knowledge and expertise.
3.) Anti-Trust law is complex & boring. It doesn't make for good TV & radio. Hell, even on news & business stations like CNBC where you think they would be talking about it as it relates to the business world, it often gets overlooked or bad analysis. So not surprising that the local sportswriter (who get most of their talking points fed to them by PR people anyways) isn't going to be getting into in-depth.
4.) Finally, Anti-Trust cases (going nuclear) against Pro Sports are so rare. Even though they are often successful. The simple fact is the Leagues usually do whatever it takes to resolve the situation through negotiation & arbitration before it ever advances that far in Court ... so experts may simply still be assuming the NBA will find a way to talk itself out of it before it gets that far. (business as usual)

irocdave

Reaction score
Man you get two totally differing opinions between Seattle forums and Sacto forums. There view is that H/B are raiding their city and the only decission to be made by the NBA is if Sacto is a viable NBA city.
I hate that we are stealing another team, especially from a city I lived in for 10 years. But...I love seeing Stearn squirm knowing this will stain his last year in office. He deserves whats coming, arrogant, chronyism enabling MF'r. Make no mistake, this latest round of upping the anty is coming from Ballmer and intended to force the NBA to either commit to giving Seattle an expansion team or delivering the Kings to Seattle. Sucks it has to be this way, consider that the very same thing could have happened to the Seahawks. The NFL slapped MR Behring http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Behring for being a crappy owner and trying to move the team. Imagine if Ken B pulled a Maloof with our Seahawks? Havent seen anyone offer this view before. There are alot of similarities.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I personally don't give a damn what happened between the Maloofs and that creeper they have for a mayor.

Status
Not open for further replies.