New Offensive Coordinator Idea

kobebryant

Reaction score
I love that Russ has had one OC and one playbook for his entire career. That continuity is so important.

Andrew Luck has had a handful, Andy Dalton is getting another new one.

I feel like Russ and Bevell are in a very nice rhythm and primed to come out the gates on fire in September.

SirTed

Reaction score
I'm not the biggest Bevell fan in the world.

Multiple times in his tenure, I've felt like it was time for him to be let go. Of course, at a later date (say, after a good game) I have reconsidered.

I'd be fine if they replaced him, but seriously -

You guys understand that the concept of "Always Compete" in terms of coaches getting replaced like players is utterly ridiculous, right? Just like with an offensive line, continuity for a coaching staff is MUCH more important than some concept of "innovation" as a coordinator. Without a doubt, some coaches are better than others - but the list of truly difference making coordinators (both good and bad) is pretty small, IMO, and most of those guys have jobs. Most of the pack is fairly similar in the effect they have on their team.

Again, I'm not saying he shouldn't be replaced, but this team would be a complete wreck if we changed out coaches every season. You just can't do that. I do think Pete is loyal, but I also think he's doing what he thinks is best for the organization, not his pals, Bevell, Cable or Richard.

dogorama

Reaction score
McGruff":1al8xthd said:
dogorama":1al8xthd said:
When reporter called his buddies around the NFL RE:TOP OC's this is what he got. On arguablly the top team we do NOT have a Top 10 - OC: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ordinators

6 mon the old article. Would be interesting to see what people say now that the SB is almost a year in the rear view mirror and after Bevell was under the headset for one of the most remarkable in season turnarounds in recent history.

I'm not saying he's the best. But even if he's middle of the pqck, it's going to be hard to upgrade.

There were so many people who wondered why he didn't switch to that "new" offense two years ago. Those of us who watched RW week-to-week certainly knew he was capable but Bevell kept plodding along.

dogorama

Reaction score
BTW, do you know why we have slow starts? It's because Bevell has to wait for the D coaches to tell him what they're doing, how they are disguising the defensive alignments, and most of all how we are giving away our plays with our offensive alignment. How many times did you hear the announcers say "they always run out of this formation, "or this spread alignment looks like a pass but I have never seen them pass out of it." If the announcers know that I am pretty gawd damned sure the opposing defense does!

stang233

Reaction score
A better solution to OC would be Sark. A drunk Sark could call a better game than a prepared Bevell anyday.

Mojambo

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1zneoygk said:
If Pete is always expecting players to compete for their jobs I wonder if he's doing the same with his staff? I'd like to think so but with so little turnover it seams he's not.

We should be looking at all ways to improve.

#4 Offense in the league. If someone is going to outcompete him they're going to have to compete damn hard.

firebee

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind seeing us bring in Mike Sherman as OC. He inherited a wreck in Miami and put together a decent offense for the Texans when they didn't really have much to work with... Think they had Schaub and a sorry line at the time. Bevell coached under him for Green Bay for his first 3 years in the NFL, so I'm thinking they probably use a lot of the same terminology. I also like that Sherman runs more of a pro-style offense vs. Bevell's spread offense. I really think Bevell's time here has expired.

Seymour

Reaction score
Fade":c6nzfhnj said:
Pete Carroll undermines his entire philosophy of always compete when it only applies to the players, and not the coaches. Bevell is here until Pete Carroll isn't. They may as well be a package deal.

Exactly! Someone gets it. Always compete unless you are a coach. Cable is an even better example of that. One of the worst Olines in pass protection every year as Oline coach even going back to the Raiders. Cable has been key in picking our "talent" in draft choices. So lets let him start all over and build another failure giving him even more of our valuable top 3 draft picks to blow on failures and experiments.

Vancanhawksfan

Reaction score
I get so tired of listening to fans who negatively rail on players on coaches all the time, and Bevell has been a never ending target for this Seahawks team.

The Seahawks finished 2015 tied for 4th in points scored, 4th in total yards per game, 3rd in rushing yards per game, has developed an incredible young quarterback in Russell Wilson, and he improved the team on most major statistics from last year where we were one play away from a Super Bowl, which was also a big improvement from 2013 where we won a Super Bowl.

I get that fans don't always agree with his play calls - but he's competing against the best in the sport and he's not always going to win on each play. The offense has continually improved every year and during a stretch in the last half of this season the offense broached some historically high levels...what more do you want?

dogorama

Reaction score
Vancanhawksfan":29wsup79 said:
I get so tired of listening to fans who negatively rail on players on coaches all the time, and Bevell has been a never ending target for this Seahawks team.

The Seahawks finished 2015 tied for 4th in points scored, 4th in total yards per game, 3rd in rushing yards per game, has developed an incredible young quarterback in Russell Wilson, and he improved the team on most major statistics from last year where we were one play away from a Super Bowl, which was also a big improvement from 2013 where we won a Super Bowl.

I get that fans don't always agree with his play calls - but he's competing against the best in the sport and he's not always going to win on each play. The offense has continually improved every year and during a stretch in the last half of this season the offense broached some historically high levels...what more do you want?

First of all he didn't develop Russell Wilson, he is an OC, not QB coach. Besides, RW was a good pocket passer at Wisconsin before he ever played a down in the NFL.The Seahawks finished high because Bevell was forced to change, not because he wanted to. Often times it's not because he calls are bad but that they are so predictable. Then when you have so many slow starts that points to a pattern, a bad pattern. We would be going to our 4th SB with a quality OC.

Vancanhawksfan

Reaction score
dogorama":2snu4cg9 said:
First of all he didn't develop Russell Wilson, he is an OC, not QB coach. Besides, RW was a good pocket passer at Wisconsin before he ever played a down in the NFL.The Seahawks finished high because Bevell was forced to change, not because he wanted to. Often times it's not because he calls are bad but that they are so predictable. Then when you have so many slow starts that points to a pattern, a bad pattern. We would be going to our 4th SB with a quality OC.

Someone needs to share with me these revisionist crystal balls some of you fans own that tells you what would have happened if certain changes were made.

I don't remember Bevell being on the field when Stewart went on his 59 yard run in the 1st quarter leading to Carolina's 1st TD, nor remember him missing those blocks that lead to Carolina's lineman getting a piece of Wilson and forcing him to throw two bad INTS.

In the 1st half the Seahawks had 2 stalled drives - both highlighted by bad pass protection leading to sacks on 2nd down thus leaving them at 3rd and 18 and 3rd and 19 respectively...do you pin that on Bevell? Because I don't. The Hawks had one 5 play 30 yd hurry up offense drive over the final one minute of the 1st half leading to a missed field goal by Hauschka that I thought he called pretty well. And the Hawks had one 12 play 66 yard drive that ended on downs rather than a field goal attempt from the 18 yard line which, in hindsight, a FG chip shot should probably have been taken. So I'd suggest that they were down 31-0 by the half due to other people failing their responsibilities, coaching and play calling rather than by his play calling.

Because in the second half Bevell's offense scored 24 points and on the last Seahawks possession could have been throwing on 4th down from the Carolina 18 yard line for a comeback tie of the ages if a field goal attempt was taken/made in the first half.

The last half of the season the Hawks offense was performing out of their minds. You'd have to be in denial if you can't give him any credit for that. And sorry but if you don't think the OC has a hand in developing a QB then you're clueless.

dogorama

Reaction score
Vancanhawksfan":1kvoxrgz said:
dogorama":1kvoxrgz said:

Someone needs to share with me these revisionist crystal balls some of you fans own that tells you what would have happened if certain changes were made.

I don't remember Bevell being on the field when Stewart went on his 59 yard run in the 1st quarter leading to Carolina's 1st TD, nor remember him missing those blocks that lead to Carolina's lineman getting a piece of Wilson and forcing him to throw two bad INTS.

In the 1st half the Seahawks had 2 stalled drives - both highlighted by bad pass protection leading to sacks on 2nd down thus leaving them at 3rd and 18 and 3rd and 19 respectively...do you pin that on Bevell? Because I don't. The Hawks had one 5 play 30 yd hurry up offense drive over the final one minute of the 1st half leading to a missed field goal by Hauschka that I thought he called pretty well. And the Hawks had one 12 play 66 yard drive that ended on downs rather than a field goal attempt from the 18 yard line which, in hindsight, a FG chip shot should probably have been taken. So I'd suggest that they were down 31-0 by the half due to other people failing their responsibilities, coaching and play calling rather than by his play calling.

Because in the second half Bevell's offense scored 24 points and on the last Seahawks possession could have been throwing on 4th down from the Carolina 18 yard line for a comeback tie of the ages if a field goal attempt was taken/made in the first half.

The last half of the season the Hawks offense was performing out of their minds. You'd have to be in denial if you can't give him any credit for that. And sorry but if you don't think the OC has a hand in developing a QB then you're clueless.

Extrapolating one game to justify his tenure is ridiculous. And, trying to make it sound like it's just me or just a few of us is also lame. I posted an article where a sport's writer wrote an article about how those in the know rated the top OC's. Bevell was conspicuously absent. I'm not talking about mine or your's obviously lay opinions but real professionals. In fact, in the last three years two of our DC's have been hired away to be NFL head coaches, has anyone tried to hire Bevell??? And don't mention BYU because they never inquired, that was just a rumor.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Vancanhawksfan":3s49v61n said:

I realize it's trendy to point fingers at scapegoat/mob mentality.

But sometimes it's got a point. A lot of Ruskell critics were hatched before the 2009 draft ever arrived. I remember quite a few people being ready to jettison the guy before Aaron Curry was ever drafted. (Anyone remember Puntilaphille?)

And I remember the contrarian pushback, calling the Ruskell criticism "mob mentality" and saying we should wait a while. John Morgan over at Fieldgulls reacted so strongly to the premature pitchforks and torches that he became a flat-out Ruskell apologist for most of the year.

Turns out the mob was right. They had little idea of WHY they were right, but they weren't wrong.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Vancanhawksfan":1vdftgc1 said:

Well said.

This thread is an absolute classic case. One person refusing to give Bevell any credit for the development of Wilson (I mean, he's only the offensive coordinator -- and people like Adam Gase & Hue Jackson didn't just get hired for a track record of helping develop QB's as an OC...). Another refusing to accept the annual rise in statistics across the board. Another suggesting Pete Carroll is undermining his philosophy by not letting the coaches compete (LOL -- people know more about Carroll's philosophy than the man who won this team its first Super Bowl).

Anyone but Bevell. That's the mentality. Everything bad that happens -- blame Bevell. Anything good -- anyone but Bevell.

Classic scapegoat nonsense.

dogorama

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2i1pu1vi said:
Vancanhawksfan":2i1pu1vi said:

Well said.

This thread is an absolute classic case. One person refusing to give Bevell any credit for the development of Wilson (I mean, he's only the offensive coordinator -- and people like Adam Gase & Hue Jackson didn't just get hired for a track record of helping develop QB's as an OC...). Another refusing to accept the annual rise in statistics across the board. Another suggesting Pete Carroll is undermining his philosophy by not letting the coaches compete (LOL -- people know more about Carroll's philosophy than the man who won this team its first Super Bowl).

Anyone but Bevell. That's the mentality. Everything bad that happens -- blame Bevell. Anything good -- anyone but Bevell.

Classic scapegoat nonsense.

Except for one thing, there are professionals around the league that don't regard him as a good OC. I get how our opinions don't matter much but how about theirs? We could have won 13-14 games this year without him going into a protect mode with a lead. He started some as early as the 3rd qtr!

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
dogorama":21zu7tbu said:
Except for one thing, there are professionals around the league that don't regard him as a good OC. I get how our opinions don't matter much but how about theirs? We could have won 13-14 games this year without him going into a protect mode with a lead. He started some as early as the 3rd qtr!

Have you spoken to these professionals then?

And quite frankly -- who cares what the rest of the league thinks anyway? Do you trust them more than Pete Carroll?

That's the absurd nature of this argument.

And your final sentence is a classic example of the 'Blame Bevell... Anyone but Bevell' mindset I was talking about. Thank you for providing me with a perfect illustration of it.

dogorama

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":23jyjaii said:
dogorama":23jyjaii said:

Have you spoken to these professionals then?

And quite frankly -- who cares what the rest of the league thinks anyway? Do you trust them more than Pete Carroll?

That's the absurd nature of this argument.

And your final sentence is a classic example of the 'Blame Bevell... Anyone but Bevell' mindset I was talking about. Thank you for providing me with a perfect illustration of it.

You're absolutely right, next time you think you have a serious physical ailment don't consult a professional because who cares what a professional thinks?