New PAT rules Confirmed

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
This is gonna be stupid if you score a TD to go ahead by 1 just to have your failed/blocked attempt run back for 2 and then you have to kick off to the other team down by 1 again. I don't like it. It's not gonna ruin my night or anything but I don't like it.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":3v0g0j0g said:
This is gonna be stupid if you score a TD to go ahead by 1 just to have your failed/blocked attempt run back for 2 and then you have to kick off to the other team down by 1 again. I don't like it. It's not gonna ruin my night or anything but I don't like it.

What if it's the Seahawks that score the go ahead 2 point return?

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
kidhawk":3v4aruf0 said:
Zebulon Dak":3v4aruf0 said:

Best rule change ever.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
I say we eliminate kickoffs, PATs & downs. Put the ball on the 50 and let teams take turns taking shots at the end zone.

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
So stupid, but when the NFL makes a rule change it usually is. The Competition Committee is terrible for the game. Wish it was disbanded after they put kickoffs back where it belongs.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":3aa0ln8s said:
kidhawk":3aa0ln8s said:
Zebulon Dak":3aa0ln8s said:

Best rule change ever.

:th2thumbs:

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":3p0oem8b said:
I say we eliminate kickoffs, PATs & downs. Put the ball on the 50 and let teams take turns taking shots at the end zone.

Only if they add judges to factor in difficulty, grace and execution to figure out how many points each td is worth, otherwise that's just a silly suggestion.

For example, if you score on Richard Sherman rather then on tharold Simon, that's worth an extra 3 points. If you break more than 4 tackles on the way to the end zone thats worth 2.5 points but if you do a crotch grab and embarrass the league 1.5 points could be taken away.

Bill leavy just retired from officiating, maybe he could be hired as TD impressiveness judge.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
JSeahawks":2q7rdn0m said:
Zebulon Dak":2q7rdn0m said:

Only if they add judges to factor in difficulty, grace and execution to figure out how many points each td is worth, otherwise that's just a silly suggestion.

For example, if you score on Richard Sherman rather then on tharold Simon, that's worth an extra 3 points. If you break more than 4 tackles on the way to the end zone thats worth 2.5 points but if you do a crotch grab and embarrass the league 1.5 points could be taken away.

Bill leavy just retired from officiating, maybe he could be hired as TD impressiveness judge.

Crotch grabs should be encouraged. Other than that I'm on board.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Dumb rule. I like it better when you could fake the extra point, and get the two pints. Not sure what that's got to do with football but it sure sounds good. Who's on board? :thirishdrinkers:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":nv58wxhn said:
fenderbender123":nv58wxhn said:
Why would they call it a TD one way and not the other? Oh well...it's not really important.

They aren't. A 2 point conversion isn't a touchdown.
So, hmm, on a 2 point conversion attempt, a defender could theoretically take ball and run it 98 (or whatever Yards) back the other way for only the 2 points that the Offense was trying for ?

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
scutterhawk":3al7d5aq said:
Seahawks1983":3al7d5aq said:
fenderbender123":3al7d5aq said:
Why would they call it a TD one way and not the other? Oh well...it's not really important.

They aren't. A 2 point conversion isn't a touchdown.
So, hmm, on a 2 point conversion attempt, a defender could theoretically take ball and run it 98 (or whatever Yards) back the other way for only the 2 points that the Offense was trying for ?

Exactly.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
I think the defense should have to run it all the way back down to the 15 yard line and then set up and kick a quick FG. If they're tackled before that happens, no points for anybody. If that results in a tie then coaches from each team pick 1 player as champion and they fight to the death. Or something like that.

two dog

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1xhfhxnk said:
Zebulon Dak":1xhfhxnk said:

If you are going to allow more points based on degree of difficulty or artistic impression,
shouldn't players be allowed to select their own variation of uniform. Or maybe designer
threads to influence the judges. You know, like ice skating.

mikeak

Reaction score
I expect the ESPN stat to include some failed kicks that turned into 2-ot conversions and also some fake extra points that turned into 2pts

In other words (and yes without data behind my logical reasoning) the numbers are probably close to dead even

Good red-zone teams will benefit and bad Redzone teams (I can think of one...) willbe hurt

kearly

Reaction score
The extra point has always been one of the weirdest rituals in sports. It's not really a football play, and on the rare occasion that a missed PAT decides a game, it leaves fans with a sense of disappointment or even anger. A neutral fan would always prefer to see a game come down to overtime than on a random miss after a TD. The saving grace of the extra point is that it was nearly automatic and might only decide one game a year. But even still, it was a waste of time and probably should have been eliminated.

Now, according to the NFL's own math, the extra point will be roughly ten times more likely to miss. Not every extra point miss will impact the outcome of a game, but still, the odds that anyone's favorite sports team could be involved in a game decided by a non-football play just went up by a substantial amount. For all the things in football that could be fixed, I don't think anyone was clamoring for more missed extra points.

One other downside of this change is that it makes the fake-PAT essentially a thing of the past. Since it would now be snapped from the 15, not the 2. It would also basically eliminate those cutesy but very fun pre-snap formations that Chip Kelly likes to run before attempting option-PATs.

I did like that PATS can now turn into defensive scores. It will help make PATs feel slightly more like a real football play, and will make 2 point conversions a bit more exciting. It would have been nice if they had moved the 2-point conversion up a bit, but ultimately teams that go for two usually do it out desperation, not as a luxury, so incentivizing the two pointer is unlikely to move the needle much. Most NFL head coaches are notoriously risk averse.

I think the automatic 7 point TD with the option to gamble for two, or the status quo, would both be much better than this. Cutting down on the number of viewers who leave a minute early for the commercial break probably had more to do with this decision than pursuing the betterment of the game. I know this was technically decided by the competition committee, but to me this has the feel of Roger Goodell getting something he wanted.

Though I dislike this change from a football purist perspective since it more frequently allows PATs to decide games, the convenient truth is that this change probably helps the Seahawks. Steven Hauschka is one of the best short distance kickers in the league. This could prove to be a competitive advantage for our team.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
ivotuk":3vfnk0dk said:
Dumb rule. I like it better when you could fake the extra point, and get the two pints. Not sure what that's got to do with football but it sure sounds good. Who's on board? :thirishdrinkers:

I am in..... :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :stirthepot: