NFL Schedule Bitching...

chris98251

Reaction score
pehawk":53f8v771 said:
Anyone know which team faces the most opponents coming off bye (bi)? I can't find it anywhere. I'll take my answer off the air.

XOXO

Chris Weinke

Starting in Week Seven, the Eagles play three straight opponents who are coming off bye weeks. That means those teams get extra rest, extra preparation time and often come out with improved focus and/or desperation.

Every NFL team also picks up at least one short week during the season, but all schedules aren't created equal. There are two teams that have four different short weeks this season, including the Texans and Jets. Take Gang Green's schedule. After debuting on Sunday of Week 1, they travel to Buffalo for a Thursday night game on four days' rest. They face the Ravens on a Sunday, six days after a Monday night encounter with the Cardinals, then have back-to-back six-day weeks later in the year. That's about as rough of a schedule as it gets.

On the flip side of all this, the team that gets to enjoy long weeks most often this year? That's the defending NFC champion, Carolina.

Not sure if that's what you were looking for but what was able to find, took a few different search's.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Thanks Doc and Chris. That's close...usually one team faces 4+ teams off bye weeks. My guess would be this year it's the Eagles.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Bitching....ok I shall play. I hate the fact that the New orleans game is on Halloween. I wanted a more relaxed atmosphere for the game. Not all crazy crap.....Second....I hate the fact that Tampa game is on Thangsgiving weekend. I wanted it to be easier to go down there and see my friends. It is gonna be chaotic as it always is during both those timeframes. With my luck, The airplanes will make it there on time. Like last time landing in Columbus and Dallas....yarite. Not even going on to the other games....those 2 are enuff..... :stirthepot:

P.S. I see that we play SF in our house at the end of the year....so the field in SC can be as muddy or messy as they need it for the College games. So yea....bitching about the college games too. he he he :stirthepot:

Scottemojo

Reaction score
By now Raider fans simply expect to grab their ankles at schedule release time.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
32 teams playing 256 games with tons of formal requirements baked into the scheduling system, and then a highly flexible litany of trivial little morsels that fans are hunting out to try to find unfairness in the process.

The schedule is done algorithmically (read: by a computer) and then only gets touched by human hands once the best match is found in order to get marquee matchups in the right places and to smooth out any quirks (read: they try to eliminate as much of the litany of nonsense that fans complain about as they can).

That there are conspiracies in the scedule is just dumb, and one of the many, many ways that fans try to convince themselves that their team is better than its performance, or has surpassed insurmountable odds in winning more games than it loses.

IIRC it's in Barnwell's column (or a previous one) in which he shows that when a team's bye is scheduled is just another data point of fair/unfair fan "wisdom" that is total hokum. It doesn't matter.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
While there's no way to prove it, I think short weeks and extra rest for their opponent really hurt the Hawks defense last year. The Hawks defense is built on simplicity, ie our athletes are better than yours. The opposing offense mostly knows how they'll be played by Seattle defenders, they just got beat them. If the opponent has an advantage of fresher legs, welp, you start to see them beat their defender.

None of that is a conspiracy. But, it definitely hurts teams like Seattle.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
pehawk":2ls9t9ch said:
While there's no way to prove it, I think short weeks and extra rest for their opponent really hurt the Hawks defense last year. The Hawks defense is built on simplicity, ie our athletes are better than yours. The opposing offense mostly knows how they'll be played by Seattle defenders, they just got beat them. If the opponent has an advantage of fresher legs, welp, you start to see them beat their defender.

None of that is a conspiracy. But, it definitely hurts teams like Seattle.

There's about 11 minutes of live play in a typical NFL game. "Fresh legs" on short weeks is a complete and total non-issue.

The issue is decreased time for game planning and installation. The shorter weeks lead to unexciting matchups because both teams are forced to rely more heavily on the vanilla components of their playbook (i.e. not installing as many new wrinkles for that week in specific preparation for the specific opponent) than they would with the extra 3 days of prep time.

Given the Seahawks' defensive reliance on simplicity (i.e. -- they play straight up and aren't installing complex blitz packages and tweaking their pattern-matching from week-to-week in the secondary) the shorter week helps defensive teams that play their style and hurts teams that don't (e.g. the Cardinals, who are installing new exotic blitzes and coverage schemes all the time).

253hawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1p4w52on said:
The schedule is done algorithmically (read: by a computer) and then only gets touched by human hands once the best match is found in order to get marquee matchups in the right places and to smooth out any quirks (read: they try to eliminate as much of the litany of nonsense that fans complain about as they can).

255 computers going through trillions of schedule possibilities.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
253hawk":16yu21qy said:
Popeyejones":16yu21qy said:

255 computers going through trillions of schedule possibilities.

If only we were technologically advanced enough to put qualifiers in algorithms, such as "no more than three short weeks for any team" or "no more than three pre-noon games for any team." Otherwise at some point Skynet is gonna say "Look, Browns, you just have to come to terms with getting back-to-back-to-back division home games in London this year."

RedAlice

Reaction score
I have no real complaints about the schedule this season for one reason: the Rams have not one single game scheduled to be played in St. Louis. That trumps all this year.

I'm surprised they don't have a single prime time game at home, but I understand that USC scheduling affected much of that, plus Rams haven't earned prime time yet. If the Rams actually play well and become a contender (it could happen, it could not happen) - they can possible flex up for some end of season division games. That would have to be earned.

As to topics here -

Rams have zero games against an opponent coming off a bye week.

Rams have four 10am starts, and a fifth whatever you call the 6:30am London start.

Rams have only two short weeks (I think) - both are prior to playing the Hawks. Week 1 the late MNF game on the road @SF, then next week host Hawks on a short week. Then, play @Hawks on a TNF for a short week. Only ones I saw on the schedule.

Overall, no real complaints. Except, sucks we have so many holiday games this year - but, that is all teams.

eta: sucks you all got Halloween weekend in NO. That's why the flights and hotels are so expensive, and that will be crazy town that weekend regardless of the football game. Rams got Thanksgiving weekend, so I'm not going either. Was looking forward to that as a road game.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
RedAlice":2kubbuto said:
I have no real complaints about the schedule this season for one reason: the Rams have not one single game scheduled to be played in St. Louis. That trumps all this year.

I'm surprised they don't have a single prime time game at home, but I understand that USC scheduling affected much of that, plus Rams haven't earned prime time yet. If the Rams actually play well and become a contender (it could happen, it could not happen) - they can possible flex up for some end of season division games. That would have to be earned.

As to topics here -

Rams have four 10am starts, and a fifth whatever you call the 6:30am London start.

Rams have only two short weeks (I think) - both are prior to playing the Hawks. Week 1 the late MNF game on the road @SF, then next week host Hawks on a short week. Then, play @Hawks on a TNF for a short week. Only ones I saw on the schedule.

Overall, no real complaints. Except, sucks we have so many holiday games this year - but, that is all teams.

eta: sucks you all got Halloween weekend in NO. That's why the flights and hotels are so expensive, and that will be crazy town that weekend regardless of the football game. Rams got Thanksgiving weekend, so I'm not going either. Was looking forward to that as a road game.

I wonder if we should contact Goodytwoshoes Goodell and request a special leaving St Louis game so the fans out there dont feel stiffed. Yanno as a gesture of good will and stuff. :stirthepot: :twisted: :twisted: :thirishdrinkers:

RedAlice

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":1gnyx40k said:
RedAlice":1gnyx40k said:

As to topics here -

I wonder if we should contact Goodytwoshoes Goodell and request a special leaving St Louis game so the fans out there dont feel stiffed. Yanno as a gesture of good will and stuff. :stirthepot: :twisted: :twisted: :thirishdrinkers:

Our beloved Isaac Bruce thinks the same....he's doing a good one for St. Louis. And he's right. As opposed to St. Louis fans and their total rejection of the LA years, I think all LA fans agree that Rams are Rams no matter where they played. StL is a "part" of the Rams history.

There will be a final game in StL for the fans to appreciate their GSOT. Very cool of him to do this.

---

Isaac Bruce organizes 'Legends of the Dome' game

Isaac Bruce wants to run out of the tunnel one last time, on to the field at the Dome at America's Center. And he wants to say "thank you" to Rams fans in St. Louis.

He's bringing along a few friends as well, including Kurt Warner, Orlando Pace, Mike Jones, Aeneas Williams, Dick Vermeil, and Mike Martz.

In a unique event billed as Legends of the Dome, Bruce is rounding up a few dozen former "St. Louis" Rams for a flag football game Saturday, July 23. All proceeds will go to charities in the St. Louis area via the Isaac Bruce Foundation.

"Just thinking about it, it sounded and felt like a good idea," Bruce told the Post-Dispatch. "And I wanted to give the other guys the opportunity to do the same.

"You know, for 21 years that's the place where we called home. So I wanted to make sure that we were able to say goodbye the right way. Give the St. Louis fans an opportunity to see what they were a part of and say goodbye. And it all worked out. So it's gonna be fun."

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... witterfeed

ctrcat

Reaction score
rideaducati":2f84s2i0 said:
drdiags":2f84s2i0 said:
Barnwell did a decent job identifying some of the scheduling quirks. Maybe the question about byes is in there?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/schedulereleasex160415/winners-losers-2016-nfl-schedule

Wow... Carolina has SEVEN games in which they will have at least 8 days of rest going into the game.

Is there any evidence it matters? Last year they played the Packers on a short week and the Cowboys on the road on Thursday. Most thought that those would be tough spots, even before Benjamin went down and Charles Johnson was hurt/out. Even in the NFCCG, the Cardinals had an extra day.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":is3d33r8 said:
If only we were technologically advanced enough to put qualifiers in algorithms, such as "no more than three short weeks for any team" or "no more than three pre-noon games for any team." Otherwise at some point Skynet is gonna say "Look, Browns, you just have to come to terms with getting back-to-back-to-back division home games in London this year."

I hope that was :sarcasm_on: , because optimization software that can do that very thing is available everywhere. I was using one put out by Fair Isaac (the 'FICO' people) last year in my Power System Economics class in grad school at UW. Just give it the basic algorithm(s), input the constraints, and hit 'go'.