NFL stalling on Browner to keep him out of playoffs/SB?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
You know how screwed the NFL would be in the next round of CBA negotiations if they got caught doing something like this?

No way.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
If they suspended him for 9-12 months he'd miss the playoffs anyway, the timing really doesn't have anything to do with it.

These appeals take time and Browner's got a great case.

OP
OP
CrimsonWazzu

CrimsonWazzu

Reaction score
kidhawk":2wtfp1sc said:
CrimsonWazzu":2wtfp1sc said:
When the info came out that Browner had a legitimate grounds for appeal, both on the issue of him being in Canada, and then the test-handling stuff, I think it became apparent that a year-long suspension would be off the table. So it begs to question why the league is taking so long to make a decision when all of this came to light 3-4 weeks ago and this "violation" has been ongoing for several months.

The only thing that makes sense is that they are using his injury situation to get maximum playing time missed. He's not on the IR, so he could very well be serving his suspension right now despite being held out, but then the only punishment would be his lost paychecks which he's going to lose in any case of being suspended. It would seem the devious stalling here would lead me to believe that a decision will come down after the game this weekend to suspend him for 4 games, taking him out for the rest of the year.

If that's the case, is there any further appeal that could take place?

I also wonder if it's a stretch to think that they are holding Browner out until a decision comes down, because of the chance he will miss the playoffs; so the need to get Lane and Maxwell all the reps they can handle would be paramount here.

Thoughts?

I don't think they are holding out Browner. Players can play while appealing a suspension. He is still on the roster and as such, the team can play them if they so choose. If it came down that the league was telling the team to hold him out while he was healthy, it would just add fuel the the already high possibility that this thing goes to court.

Honestly, I think right now the NFL is at a crossroads. They can't just say no suspension after their own network screwed the pooch on the story and word got out about a year long suspension, and Browner is sitting there with a lawsuit in his pocket if they don't take away the suspension entirely. I think the NFL wants a 4 game suspension to save face but Browner's camp isn't budging.

I understand all that. I'm not implying the league is trying to dictate to the team that they should hold Browner out. They would never do this. That would just create even more of a risk to the league for litigation by the Browner camp.

I do wonder if the situation with the timing of his injuries and the possibility that he could be banned during the playoffs, if the team is using his injury as a mask for them implementing their backup plan in case the suspension is upheld and he is out for the rest of the year. It would seem to be a very smart move by the team to hold him out to get the backups their reps now to prepare them for the playoffs, and allows them to use the injury as their excuse for keeping him sidelined. The team must have some level of concern that they won't have BB for the playoffs, yet they don't have to show their hand.

It's an interesting chess match going on right now.

With regards to the "vast conspiracy" thing, I don't get why people are so readily dismissive when someone gets the sense that the league could possibly begrudge certain teams and players of that team. It's not paranoia that leads me to have a small gut feeling that Sherman's ownage of the league on this same issue last year still resonates.

HansGruber

Reaction score
They're definitely NOT stalling to keep him out of the playoffs. If anything, they're stalling to allow him to actually be in the playoffs or Superbowl. The suspension does not take effect until resolution of the appeal, so he would technically be able to play right now if he was not injured.

A few weeks ago, John Clayton said on ESPN that the NFL is dragging its feet specifically to allow BB to play this season out. They don't want to impact a playoff team and have arbitration blow up in their face. That would be bad for the league legally.

Basis4day

Reaction score
CrimsonWazzu":dki6vb00 said:
kidhawk":dki6vb00 said:
CrimsonWazzu":dki6vb00 said:
When the info came out that Browner had a legitimate grounds for appeal, both on the issue of him being in Canada, and then the test-handling stuff, I think it became apparent that a year-long suspension would be off the table. So it begs to question why the league is taking so long to make a decision when all of this came to light 3-4 weeks ago and this "violation" has been ongoing for several months.

The only thing that makes sense is that they are using his injury situation to get maximum playing time missed. He's not on the IR, so he could very well be serving his suspension right now despite being held out, but then the only punishment would be his lost paychecks which he's going to lose in any case of being suspended. It would seem the devious stalling here would lead me to believe that a decision will come down after the game this weekend to suspend him for 4 games, taking him out for the rest of the year.

If that's the case, is there any further appeal that could take place?

I also wonder if it's a stretch to think that they are holding Browner out until a decision comes down, because of the chance he will miss the playoffs; so the need to get Lane and Maxwell all the reps they can handle would be paramount here.

Thoughts?

I don't think they are holding out Browner. Players can play while appealing a suspension. He is still on the roster and as such, the team can play them if they so choose. If it came down that the league was telling the team to hold him out while he was healthy, it would just add fuel the the already high possibility that this thing goes to court.

Honestly, I think right now the NFL is at a crossroads. They can't just say no suspension after their own network screwed the pooch on the story and word got out about a year long suspension, and Browner is sitting there with a lawsuit in his pocket if they don't take away the suspension entirely. I think the NFL wants a 4 game suspension to save face but Browner's camp isn't budging.

I understand all that. I'm not implying the league is trying to dictate to the team that they should hold Browner out. They would never do this. That would just create even more of a risk to the league for litigation by the Browner camp.

I do wonder if the situation with the timing of his injuries and the possibility that he could be banned during the playoffs, if the team is using his injury as a mask for them implementing their backup plan in case the suspension is upheld and he is out for the rest of the year. It would seem to be a very smart move by the team to hold him out to get the backups their reps now to prepare them for the playoffs, and allows them to use the injury as their excuse for keeping him sidelined. The team must have some level of concern that they won't have BB for the playoffs, yet they don't have to show their hand.

It's an interesting chess match going on right now.

With regards to the "vast conspiracy" thing, I don't get why people are so readily dismissive when someone gets the sense that the league could possibly begrudge certain teams and players of that team. It's not paranoia that leads me to have a small gut feeling that Sherman's ownage of the league on this same issue last year still resonates.

It's simple really. Occam's razor. You're drawn to the more complicated solution with more unknowns rather than simpler solution with less unknowns.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
kidhawk":1dbu314m said:

This has been my gut feeling as well.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He's a Seahawk, of course they're doing what they can to screw the Hawks. Turns out the other guys are damn good as well, nice try NFL. They'll still win the whole flippen thing anyway.

drdiags

Reaction score
No other appeals once the decision comes down. Browner could then take the NFL to court, just like the Star Caps players did and try getting an injunction against his suspension.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
HansGruber":2waeerre said:
They're definitely NOT stalling to keep him out of the playoffs. If anything, they're stalling to allow him to actually be in the playoffs or Superbowl. The suspension does not take effect until resolution of the appeal, so he would technically be able to play right now if he was not injured.

This. Definitely don't think they're screwing us. Screwing BB possibly since it may hurt his FA chances if his suspension does last until next year, but the NFL is helping us by letting him play.

MadSweeney

Reaction score
Why exactly does he have a lawsuit against them? Because of the wrong initial report? Good luck proving malice in a matter of simple sloppy reporting. It couldn't hurt BB's image any since the reason everyone assumed a year long suspension was for PEDs is because he's already a known PED user. Or is it because he didn't know he was in danger of a suspension for a positive test? Are you fracking serious?! How many years has he been taking tests every week? Over 200 tests compared to the once per year that normal players go through, you have to be irretrievably stupid to not know that you're facing 4 games at the minimum. 200 tests! Are any of you seriously taking his side that he didn't know he'd be in trouble for a positive test? Or that his rep is damaged because people were reminded that he was in the drug program? C'mon guys, I'm as big a Hawks fan as possible, but I at least keep my eyes open. BB is 100% at fault and responsible for this issue. He doesn't deserve to be on the field, unfortunately. He should've protested his status in the drug program about 199 tests ago. When you get caught is NOT the time to plead ignorance and persecution. The nfl rule about the missed tests is horrible, but it's in the CBA. Getting popped after 200 tests is just not believable, at all. Oh, and I can't believe for the minutest minute that the tester ruined the sample. That worked once (though I actually do believe Sherman in that case) but it's absurd now.

I'd be happy to be wrong but I don't think he deserves any break. It sucks and if I were him I'd also pull any and every absurd trick in the book to get out of it and i wouldn't care what anyone but other GMs think about it. He stands to lose possible more than ten million dollars because of this screwup. I understand why he's shoveling horse dung on the fire. All these shenanigans won't hurt him any more than his own dumb actions already did. I just find it sad to see fans willingly blind or delude themselves. It's such a great season and BB chose to let us all down, yet we're blaming everyne else and crying foul.

As I write they are announcing that he's suspended indefinitely and that he was notified in writing about his status. Sorry guys, I wish he was with us, but he crapped on his teammates and his fans.

Basis4day

Reaction score
MadSweeney":3gl7azf3 said:
Why exactly does he have a lawsuit against them? Because of the wrong initial report? Good luck proving malice in a matter of simple sloppy reporting. It couldn't hurt BB's image any since the reason everyone assumed a year long suspension was for PEDs is because he's already a known PED user. Or is it because he didn't know he was in danger of a suspension for a positive test? Are you fracking serious?! How many years has he been taking tests every week? Over 200 tests compared to the once per year that normal players go through, you have to be irretrievably stupid to not know that you're facing 4 games at the minimum. 200 tests! Are any of you seriously taking his side that he didn't know he'd be in trouble for a positive test? Or that his rep is damaged because people were reminded that he was in the drug program? C'mon guys, I'm as big a Hawks fan as possible, but I at least keep my eyes open. BB is 100% at fault and responsible for this issue. He doesn't deserve to be on the field, unfortunately. He should've protested his status in the drug program about 199 tests ago. When you get caught is NOT the time to plead ignorance and persecution. The nfl rule about the missed tests is horrible, but it's in the CBA. Getting popped after 200 tests is just not believable, at all. Oh, and I can't believe for the minutest minute that the tester ruined the sample. That worked once (though I actually do believe Sherman in that case) but it's absurd now.

I'd be happy to be wrong but I don't think he deserves any break. It sucks and if I were him I'd also pull any and every absurd trick in the book to get out of it and i wouldn't care what anyone but other GMs think about it. He stands to lose possible more than ten million dollars because of this screwup. I understand why he's shoveling horse dung on the fire. All these shenanigans won't hurt him any more than his own dumb actions already did. I just find it sad to see fans willingly blind or delude themselves. It's such a great season and BB chose to let us all down, yet we're blaming everyne else and crying foul.

As I write they are announcing that he's suspended indefinitely and that he was notified in writing about his status. Sorry guys, I wish he was with us, but he crapped on his teammates and his fans.

You're missing the point entirely.

Regarding the Report by Silver. So you're holding BB to absolute compliance with the drug testing program, yet completely dismissing the league's violation of the same policy and his privacy by leaking a false report by Adam Silver (Who is employed by the NFLNetwork which is owned an operated by the league). The league itself knowingly spread false reports about a player in a contract year. Double standard much?

Re the positive tests. You don't think it's an unfair labor practice to require a person to submit to random drug testing weekly while not an employee of any team in the league and not even working in this country? Even if he agreed to them under the CBA, the league can't enforce inherently unfair labor practices. Especially a league which is operated under a federal exemption regarding monopolies.

Hence, BB will be filing a lawsuit.

MadSweeney

Reaction score
Basis4day":3d53uf22 said:
MadSweeney":3d53uf22 said:

You're missing the point entirely.

Regarding the Report by Silver. So you're holding BB to absolute compliance with the drug testing program, yet completely dismissing the league's violation of the same policy and his privacy by leaking a false report by Adam Silver (Who is employed by the NFLNetwork which is owned an operated by the league). The league itself knowingly spread false reports about a player in a contract year. Double standard much?

Re the positive tests. You don't think it's an unfair labor practice to require a person to submit to random drug testing weekly while not an employee of any team in the league and not even working in this country? Even if he agreed to them under the CBA, the league can't enforce inherently unfair labor practices. Especially a league which is operated under a federal exemption regarding monopolies.

Hence, BB will be filing a lawsuit.
I'm not holding him to any standard, the league is. It's holding him to the standard that he readily accepted when he signed his contract. All that stuff was in the CBA, it's agreed to by btoh sides. Any objection to that needed to come years ago when he came back to the league and started getting tested every week, not after he got caught.

As for knowingly spreading false reports, that's laughable. It was sloppy reporting that was quickly corrected. Good luck proving any "knowingly" issue. And you can't defame a man who already defamed himself.

"Double standard much" :lmao:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I hope the NFL and that worm Rog get the bejesus sued out of their sorry asses, reguardless if Browner is a Hawk or not next year.

Laloosh

Reaction score
This thread needs to be merged or locked. Do we do that around here, mods? Two threads on the topic right next to one another...

HawksSoc

Reaction score
CrimsonWazzu":3vz83hne said:
The only thing that makes sense

This is ridiculousness at its finest, no it does not make sense, no the NFL are not trying to screw us. No, just no. Come guys lets have some common sense here. Just a little bit.

No wonder the Niner fans think we're all d****. This is illogical, I think your seeing in it what you wanna see in my opinion.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Well he's suspended indefinitely now. That is an odd suspension b/c he'd normally be suspended for 12 months. Is the 12 month suspension a loophole that will allow for a shorter suspension based upon the clearly apparent unfairness of his being escalated up levels of the drug program while he was out of the league.

I think there is a potential lawsuit about to happen and the strong possibility of injunctive relief pending a resolution of the outcome of the case or a judicial reconsideration of the bona fides of the suspension.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Unfortunately, he's done. Not much hope for a lawsuit and it would be very expensive. It's a shame. BB is one of my favorite Seahawks, just loved the dude. But man, that was a really stupid move. And it's unlikely to go his way.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":12et6dgn said:
This thread needs to be merged or locked. Do we do that around here, mods? Two threads on the topic right next to one another...
Could you relax already? This is twice just tonight that you want to act like a moderator. They will merge or lock it without your "help" if appropriate. It likely is but it's not your concern presently.

Laloosh

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":2hnubadw said:
E.C. Laloosh":2hnubadw said:
Could you relax already? This is twice just tonight that you want to act like a moderator. They will merge or lock it without your "help" if appropriate. It likely is but it's not your concern presently.

Twice in one night? OMG!

Is it a big deal if I comment on it? Does it bother you? I'd hate to be a mod, but I do like it when they do these things.

Latest posts