NFL wants us in a London game in 2018 (or soon)

drrew

Reaction score
Road game followed by a bye, and this is fine with me.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
chris98251":3bv7xd77 said:
Hawks46":3bv7xd77 said:
JGfromtheNW":3bv7xd77 said:
Obviously this is going to be unanimously hated by state-side Hawks fans. UK Hawk fans should be somewhat excited, though.

Only way I wouldn't be truly upset about this is if 1) we're not giving up a home game for it 2) we play two road games in a row, the first week consisting of an east coast game and then the team flies over to the UK for the entire week leading up to the game in London.

If I remember correctly, west coast teams are currently 3-3 in London games.

That's actually a pretty good idea. My idea was have the game in London, then give us a bye.

We also better get favorable East Coast road games the rest of that season, no 10 am games. That's the only way I buy in.

So your asking the League office to compensate the Seahawks who Goodell can't stand because we embarrass his Giants game after game, who the league routinely changes rules to take away an advantage, who the league loves to target and fine.

I would expect the following more, Thursday night game following the trip to London as a Home game and a road game to the East Coast to play a playoff team the next Sunday.

LOL because the league is SO TOTALLY OUT TO GET US :roll:

Give us a bye after a two road game trip as stated above and the travel/jet lag is taken care of. It's literally the exact same scheduling that the Rams and Cardinals got this year to make it work.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
London is a great city, its not perfect but I cant imagine living anywhere else currently.

I'd love to see the Hawks over here but not at the detriment of Hawks performances. One thing that would excite me the most is these games allow for more interaction with the players. Trafalgar Square and Regent Street get opened to NFL fans and the players are part of that.

I went to a Jets Dolphins game and there were lots of Jets fans. They made plenty of noise but I agree the sheer number of different team fans means the atmosphere is more subdued. I also went to Bills Jags game and that was hard to get excited about. That said even Bills and Jags fans would struggle.

uncle fester

Reaction score
As a Brit, having seen NFL games at Wembley and having also seen the Hawks play in Seattle and at MetLife, I'd rather stump up the cash for a flight etc to see them play in Seattle.

London games are ok once in a while (especially if your team is on a bye that week) but as all 32 teams are represented in the crowd, it's very subdued and nothing like a normal NFL atmosphere during the game. Everyone's got their phones out, checking on their own team's updates - as would be expected - so there's not so much investment in what's happening on the field.

Pre-game can be fun hanging out with different fans (and high giving fellow Seahawks fans) and enjoying the experience, but it's nothing like CLink and joining 60k+ fans trying to drown out an opposing QB's thought process.

I'd also prefer if Seattle played that it would be classed as a road game, as others have reasoned.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
One thing to bear in mind is that Wembley and Twickenham are grass surfaces... just sayin!!

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
GlastoHawkUK":1vx7npsn said:
No just NO
I intended to post a question asking what Hawks fans views are on the London NFL games, when I saw this thread. To give some context I live approx 120 miles from London and first attended a Wembley (old stadium) in 1986 when the Cowboys played the Bears (only memory was of a very large Fridge playing for the Bears), I also attended the Falcons v Lions in 2014. Yesterday I watched the Browns and Vikings on TV from Twickenham. For me the atmosphere is just terrible, fans of many teams turn up and the stadiums and surrounding areas have something of a carnival atmosphere, but no passion. I would liken it to a primary school trip to the zoo, lots of excitement and new experiences, but far from a safari.
I am sure many UK Seahawk fans will be desperate for a chance to see the Hawks live without a trans Atlantic flight, however the experience is just not what you get from being at a game in the States, certainly nothing like the Clink.
Dont underestimate the effects of a west - east flight, I have done it a number of times from the west coast and as recently as 2 weeks ago, the jet lag will effect people differantly, mostly I have been ok, until this trip when I took 5 days to adjust body clock. Imagine taking the trip from Seattle to London then having to train and play when your body wants to sleep. How did Arizona get on with their London game!
As for fans from Seattle thinking it may be a good experience, well be prepared. London is not all Black Cabs, Red Buses and soldiers dressed in red tunics and furry hats. Its in truth a dreadfully crowded dirty, expensive city. Hotels are generaly poor value for money, staffed by miserable underpaid eastern european staff. Dont expect to meet to many Cockneys on the Apples and Pears (cockney rhyming slang for stairs), they and their Dustbin Lids (kids) left long ago for the suberbs or normally further afield. Many Brits take great care when visiting London, a large number will avoid the tube (dirty underground trains) and take taxis due to concerns over potential terrorist incidents. No doubt some Brits will strongly disagree with me, some may even live in London and be offended by my comments, I can only give my honest personal view. I have recently been in Seattle and Vancouver, couldnt believe how friendly and helpful people were, both cities were very clean and felt safe, so much better than London. Good quality food was easy to find at a decent price with friendly service, something very unlikely in our capital city.
Should it happen and the Hawks play at Wembley, the ground is decent and the executive Club Wembley facilities were good when I experienced them for a soccer international.
For any UK Hawks, I would suggest saving the money for a trip to Seattle, flights are not to expensive if booked well in advance, ok ticket prices ate expensive for the British wallet due to the £/$ exchange, but the experience is unforgettable.
So for me its a massive No to Seahawks in London

As has been expressed, that reduction of London is absolutely ridiculous. And you are also acting like no one has been there and you’re giving some amazing tourist advice to people who have never heard of London. I bet a lot of hawks fans have been to London and know it’s a world class city with tons of culture.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
I mentioned the 6 am start for the players already. But now how about the fans. It's one thing to take away a home game, it's another to play the game before the fan base is awake to even be able to watch. Lame-o

JSeahawks

Reaction score
If Great Britain steals one of our home games I’d consider it an act of war. We’d need to respond by dropping bombs. Russell Wilson and Doug Baldwin are the leaders we need to get this done.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
gowazzu02":2ymfcn1v said:
I mentioned the 6 am start for the players already. But now how about the fans. It's one thing to take away a home game, it's another to play the game before the fan base is awake to even be able to watch. Lame-o

While I'm completely against the idea of a London team or anyone, let alone the Seahawks, playing in London, the Cardinals and Rams played there a couple weeks ago and the game started at 10 AM Pacific time. I would imagine if the Seahawks were playing in London, they would do the same thing.

Chapow

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3kqjuy9l said:
If Great Britain steals one of our home games I’d consider it an act of war. We’d need to respond by dropping bombs. Russell Wilson and Doug Baldwin are the leaders we need to get this done.

Dropping bombs seem like a little much. We could just dump a bunch of tea into Elliott Bay. That'd show 'em.

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
A non-stop flight from Seattle to London is ~9.5 hours in the air. It'd be closer to 10 on the return. There's a reason why East-coast teams are generally chosen for this trip.

chris98251

Reaction score
We can avoid this easily, just have one of the players have a how to make a home made bomb article in their baggage.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Would it sweeten the deal if I say you can all stop at my house... and by house I mean 2 bedroom apartment?