Niners make their roster cuts

Marvin49

Reaction score
mjwhitay":33uk623f said:
I've learned something in this thread....

Everyone run out and draft Vance MacDonald. Immediately. He's gonna be a major contributor because we've seem stuff in preseason.

Meanwhile if we said the same thing about Christine Michael, we'd be told to pump the brakes, he's a rookie.

Don't worry though, Vance is not a normal rookie, he's immune to the learning curve and he's gonna be awesome right away!!!

Right....because at no point did I say anything like "So far...", "before the real bullets start flying" or anything like that. Also, I didn't say that Michael looked good....

Wait...Wha?

DonnieDarko

Reaction score
Scottemojo":bhul0bxd said:
DonnieDarko":bhul0bxd said:
kearly":bhul0bxd said:
I thought the 49ers kind of bombed rounds 1 and 2 this year. I thought all three of those prospects were grossly over-rated before the draft. If the 49ers did take McDonald away from us, then we should send Baalke a gift basket. McDonald is a project with stone hands,

lol

so if the seahawks snatched up McDonald before us then of course he would be a stud. since the 9ers grabbed him the negatives outweigh the positives, got it.

oh by the way, McDonald has looked excellent in the 2 preseason games he's been in.

McDonald has had easy drops and made great plays, same as in college. I wanted McDonald badly, Kearly didn't like him from the start. Kearly was touting Christine Michael long before the draft.

I like the way McDonald runs routes for a big guy. He drops passes sometimes.

Now let's address you. You are the FNG here right now, maybe assuming homer bias is behind everything is not the best way to have discussion. Rather than jump to a conclusion, ask Kearly a question.

McDonald could be a really good TE or he could end up being very average, I don't know. Don't have a crystal ball.

Fact is the Niners and Seahawks were both high on this guy and so far in 2 preseason games he has shown nice hands and agility for a big man.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
mretrade":12kvi6uz said:
SonicHawk":12kvi6uz said:
mretrade":12kvi6uz said:
^^^Excuse me? I know my team better than you know yours and I know the Seahawks better than you know the Niners.

Stop trolling.

Get off of our boards.

No. Make me. I was born in the 206 and I have ever right to be here as you do. And all these 49ers posts make me more compelled to continue to post and I add to the discussion. I am a 49er fan but I am also a football fan. :0190l:

Born in the 206 but a fan of the Ninners. What a jerk.

mretrade

Reaction score
LOL that makes me a jerk man? Come on. I was a 49ers before I knew what a football was.

kearly

Reaction score
look@dafilm":run3105n said:
kearly":run3105n said:
I thought the 49ers kind of bombed rounds 1 and 2 this year. I thought all three of those prospects were grossly over-rated before the draft. If the 49ers did take McDonald away from us, then we should send Baalke a gift basket. McDonald is a project with stone hands, meanwhile Seattle got Christine Michael who has a very, very bright future and (if I heard correctly) is leading the NFL in rushing this preseason, even though he missed a game.

lol, yes...the 49ers bombed rounds 1 and 2 this year. We got an instant impact starter on a consensus top 5 defense, a player who slipped due to his current injury but by all accounts would have been a 1st rounder if not for said injury, and a TE who is big, fast, athletic, and can make amazing catches with his reach/radius.

The 49ers top 3 picks (our 1st and 2nd round picks) are going to be HUGE contributors.

Reid, Carradine, and McDonald were all drafted 1-2 rounds higher than where I had them after my scouting analysis at Seahawks Draft Blog last preseason, which is a highly respected blog that is frequently referenced by national draft coverage sites, particularly mockingthedraft.com. Okay, Ethos may not be my thing, but I did study a few hundred players last spring (which I have been doing at the blog for 4 draft seasons now) and wrote detailed reports on many dozens of them before draft. Meaning, before they ever became 49ers, in case you are slow on the take.

I thought the Reid pick was pretty desperate, and quite honestly they would have been better off just giving the money to Goldson instead. Solid but unremarkable on tape, I jokingly thought Reid was hyped because he was the only player on LSU's loaded defense who wasn't crazy mistake prone. But in terms of playmaking, coverage, run support, etc, he graded out as a solid 2nd rounder for me.

Never got the hype for Carradine, ever. The "if he were just healthy he'd have 15 sacks" stuff was pretty lame. He was a power bull rusher who sorely lacked speed and didn't even have much of a repertoire. Sure, the power was pretty good, but power is the first thing to vanish when you head to the NFL to face MUCH stronger competition, unless you are a generational freak of nature like Ndamukong Suh or the Gronk. Even power pass rushers like Justin Smith and JJ Watt rely on much, much more than their brute strength to be great NFL players. Lawrence Jackson a ton of power in college too. He's a free agent right now, if you want him. That's how I see Carradine. He's another Lawrence Jackson or Kentwan Balmer. They all went in the same area of the draft, too. Sometimes picks surprise, but if Carradine turns into another Justin Smith it would shock me. It would shock the NFL obviously, given where Carradine was drafted.

Also, he was a pass rusher from Florida State. That alone should give some pause given their history of pass rushers excelling as Seminoles and then bombing in the NFL.

McDonald runs pretty well for his size and that's about where the positives end for me. He was inconsistent as a blocker and dropped a ton of passes. He seemed very unnatural to the position. His QB sucked horribly, but still, he was on a team with essentially no other competition for targets playing a bunch of ultra-scrubs in Conference USA. I am wary of athletes with crummy tape and I am wary of players from small conferences. If you are from a small conference that's fine if you are lighting it up, but that extra jump in difficulty to the NFL does make a difference. If you are from C-USA, you need to be an unstoppable force, which McDonald most definitely was not. His draft legend was built up not from his tape, but from his strong physical traits during a draft season that valued athleticism over polish like none we'd ever seen.

And so far, the return on those early picks hasn't been anything to write home about, while guys on day 3 are saving it, namely Quinton Patton and one of my absolute favorites, BJ Daniels. On day two, I think 3rd rounder Corey Lemonier could be very good as an OLB- he's very similar to Seattle's Bruce Irvin, and Irvin has looked pretty good at OLB so far. There were several other late picks and UDFA I liked a lot. But the early picks, I'd be pissed if we had that much early ammunition and whiffed on overvalued players with each one.

DonnieDarko":run3105n said:
Fact is the Niners and Seahawks were both high on this guy and so far in 2 preseason games he has shown nice hands and agility for a big man.

FWIW, we have no idea if Seattle liked McDonald or not. He fits their profile (they aren't afraid of raw players or guys who drop passes), but we can only speculate.

pehawk

Reaction score
The Seahawks "liked" McDonald solely as a smoke screen for Luke Willson. How else could you interpret JS's comment "Last year if we didn't get Russell Wilson our draft would've been a failure, Luke Willson was that guy in this draft"?

Added bonus was making the 49ers draft McDonald thinking they were keeping him from a rival. Sound like a reach? Not if you understand this front office it isn't.

But, hey 49er fans, keep telling yourself stories about McDonald.

Marvin49

Reaction score
kearly":vkejam1d said:
look@dafilm":vkejam1d said:
kearly":vkejam1d said:
I thought the 49ers kind of bombed rounds 1 and 2 this year. I thought all three of those prospects were grossly over-rated before the draft. If the 49ers did take McDonald away from us, then we should send Baalke a gift basket. McDonald is a project with stone hands, meanwhile Seattle got Christine Michael who has a very, very bright future and (if I heard correctly) is leading the NFL in rushing this preseason, even though he missed a game.

lol, yes...the 49ers bombed rounds 1 and 2 this year. We got an instant impact starter on a consensus top 5 defense, a player who slipped due to his current injury but by all accounts would have been a 1st rounder if not for said injury, and a TE who is big, fast, athletic, and can make amazing catches with his reach/radius.

The 49ers top 3 picks (our 1st and 2nd round picks) are going to be HUGE contributors.

Reid, Carradine, and McDonald were all drafted 1-2 rounds higher than where I had them after my scouting analysis at Seahawks Draft Blog last preseason, which is a highly respected blog that is frequently referenced by national draft coverage sites, particularly mockingthedraft.com. Okay, Ethos may not be my thing, but I did study a few hundred players last spring (which I have been doing at the blog for 4 draft seasons now) and wrote detailed reports on many dozens of them before draft. Meaning, before they ever became 49ers, in case you are slow on the take.

I thought the Reid pick was pretty desperate, and quite honestly they would have been better off just giving the money to Goldson instead. Solid but unremarkable on tape, I jokingly thought Reid was hyped because he was the only player on LSU's loaded defense who wasn't crazy mistake prone. But in terms of playmaking, coverage, run support, etc, he graded out as a solid 2nd rounder for me.

Never got the hype for Carradine, ever. The "if he were just healthy he'd have 15 sacks" stuff was pretty lame. He was a power bull rusher who sorely lacked speed and didn't even have much of a repertoire. Sure, the power was pretty good, but power is the first thing to vanish when you head to the NFL to face MUCH stronger competition, unless you are a generational freak of nature like Ndamukong Suh or the Gronk. Even power pass rushers like Justin Smith and JJ Watt rely on much, much more than their brute strength to be great NFL players. Lawrence Jackson a ton of power in college too. He's a free agent right now, if you want him. That's how I see Carradine. He's another Lawrence Jackson or Kentwan Balmer. They all went in the same area of the draft, too. Sometimes picks surprise, but if Carradine turns into another Justin Smith it would shock me. It would shock the NFL obviously, given where Carradine was drafted.

Also, he was a pass rusher from Florida State. That alone should give some pause given their history of pass rushers excelling as Seminoles and then bombing in the NFL.

McDonald runs pretty well for his size and that's about where the positives end for me. He was inconsistent as a blocker and dropped a ton of passes. He seemed very unnatural to the position. His QB sucked horribly, but still, he was on a team with essentially no other competition for targets playing a bunch of ultra-scrubs in Conference USA. I am wary of athletes with crummy tape and I am wary of players from small conferences. If you are from a small conference that's fine if you are lighting it up, but that extra jump in difficulty to the NFL does make a difference. If you are from C-USA, you need to be an unstoppable force, which McDonald most definitely was not. His draft legend was built up not from his tape, but from his strong physical traits during a draft season that valued athleticism over polish like none we'd ever seen.

And so far, the return on those early picks hasn't been anything to write home about, while guys on day 3 are saving it, namely Quinton Patton and one of my absolute favorites, BJ Daniels. On day two, I think 3rd rounder Corey Lemonier could be very good as an OLB- he's very similar to Seattle's Bruce Irvin, and Irvin has looked pretty good at OLB so far. There were several other late picks and UDFA I liked a lot. But the early picks, I'd be pissed if we had that much early ammunition and whiffed on overvalued players with each one.

DonnieDarko":vkejam1d said:

FWIW, we have no idea if Seattle liked McDonald or not. He fits their profile (they aren't afraid of raw players or guys who drop passes), but we can only speculate.

Well...I actually preferred Jonathan Cyprien to Reid going in so I can't sit here and sing Reids praises. All I can say is that I like what I've seen so far. Fast, smart, and a sure tackler. LONG, LONG arms. In the limited times we've seen him, he's looked good. As for desparation...I don't think it was so much that as it was 1) Harbaugh knowing the kid personally and having a very high opinion of him (tried to recruit him to Stanford), and 2) a relatively cheap price of a single 3 to move up that far in round 1. They also I think had the impression that a team in the 20's may be targetting Reid. Can't confirm that, but that is the rumor.

On Carradine...as I said before...he hasn't played so tough to evaluate. What I saw in him tho was power, long arms and a motor. He is just the first of the guys who will get a crack at replacing Justin when he's gone. In the meantime tho he'll have Jim Tomsula coaching him and he'll get to watch Justin. Not a bad situation to be in for a guy that has some pretty good raw tools. Come on tho man...Kentwan Balmer? LOL. Thems fightin' words. :D

On McDonald...yeah..we've been over it. He's looked really good so far. We'll just have to see.

Patton...small sample size, but yes...he's looked really good.

BJ Daniels...I have to admit...I had zero expectations of him coming in, but he has impressed me. He'll start as the #3, but he'll be pushing Colt for the #2 job all year. That's why the 49ers structured Colts new contract the way they did....he gets an extra 54k per week that he's the #2 QB. If he's the #2 all year he gets his 1.5 mil. If he's the #3 all year, he gets 640K.

That to me tells me that the team expects Daniels to take that job at some point.

mretrade

Reaction score
I am pretty sure drafting McDonald had nothing to do with Seahawks. Pehawk, McDonald has looked really impressive this preseason. We are not telling stories. I love how the Seahawk fans write ups are fact and our observations are just stories. This rookie class has looked really strong out of the gate. It is early but Patton, McDonald, Lemonier, Reid all look extremely good and Tank/Lattimore haven't even seen the field.

I am starting to think defending my team is pointless. You guys will always see us, the players, the team in the worse light possible. I am objective, most of you are not.

Marvin49

Reaction score
mretrade":1a1rt78s said:
I am pretty sure drafting McDonald had nothing to do with Seahawks. Pehawk, McDonald has looked really impressive this preseason. We are not telling stories. I love how the Seahawk fans write ups are fact and our observations are just stories. This rookie class has looked really strong out of the gate. It is early but Patton, McDonald, Lemonier, Reid all look extremely good and Tank/Lattimore haven't even seen the field.

I am starting to think defending my team is pointless. You guys will always see us, the players, the team in the worse light possible. I am objective, most of you are not.

It is...but it's still fun. :D

As for the second part...you can't come here and expect objectivity nor can you expect them to realize that they aren't objective. Same goes for us. We can ATTEMPT to be objective just as they do...but the colors of the uniforms on the backs of these players in question makes it impossible to be 100% objective.

pehawk

Reaction score
mretrade":fa353fqb said:

Well, the stories up here are that the Seahawks front office blew smoke to other GM's about being high on McDonald. And, when you factor in what our GM said "the draft would've been a failure without Willson" it makes sense considering he was McDonald's back up. But, since is does make sense, I can understand why its confusing to you.

I'm not one of the fools who routinely challenges you with biased nonsense. Honestly, I'm just as disgusted with the Seahawks fanbase AND the 49er fanbase, over this forum becoming 49er and Seahawks fans measuring their mules. I just thought I'd add some truth to the conversation, but obviously you're not interested in that.

Would you feel more comfortable if I said "dude, Kap sucks, DAAAARRRR"?

Jagoffs....

pehawk

Reaction score
Oh, and just because you really cant leave anything up for interpretation with 49er fans, my statements ARE NOT AN INDICTMENT on McDonald's play. I don't know squat about his play.

I hate all of you. Every, single, one.

mretrade

Reaction score
pehawk":gc6ck1lk said:
mretrade":gc6ck1lk said:

Well, the stories up here are that the Seahawks front office blew smoke to other GM's about being high on McDonald. And, when you factor in what our GM said "the draft would've been a failure without Willson" it makes sense considering he was McDonald's back up. But, since is does make sense, I can understand why its confusing to you.

I'm not one of the fools who routinely challenges you with biased nonsense. Honestly, I'm just as disgusted with the Seahawks fanbase AND the 49er fanbase, over this forum becoming 49er and Seahawks fans measuring their mules. I just thought I'd add some truth to the conversation, but obviously you're not interested in that.

Would you feel more comfortable if I said "dude, Kap sucks, DAAAARRRR"?

Jagoffs....

In all likelihood the Seahawks/49ers didnt affect each other in the draft.

mretrade

Reaction score
So anyways if the 49ers can just get through the first 5 games with a winning record, they will be set for the rest of the season. The first five games are brutal. GB, @SEA, INDY, @Rams, Houston.

Weadoption

Reaction score
mretrade":13jv3l3k said:
So anyways if the 49ers can just get through the first 5 games with a winning record, they will be set for the rest of the season. The first five games are brutal. GB, @SEA, INDY, @Rams, Houston.

Man all it takes is a fumble, some blown rookie safety coverage, and you are down by 14 in week 8 against the Jags on the road.
No gimmes in this league, especially on the road, I dont care how stacked your team is.

The 9ers-Hawks rivalry banter on this site rocks I must say, for post numero uno.
:th2thumbs:

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
mretrade":1yd1nky9 said:
Ours isn't much easier...@Carolina, SF, Jacksonville, @Houston, @ Indianapolis. Hard games all except maybe Jacksonville with the bulk of the tough ones on the road.

kearly

Reaction score
Weadoption, that is an epic user name and avatar.

In fairness to the Reid pick, 2013 was not a very good safety class across the board. I think Goldson is a little over-rated too, or at least he's received more pro-bowl consideration than he probably deserves, but he's a very solid all around football player, kind of like Kam with better coverage and less hitting ability. Still, I think Goldson at $8 million per year beats a 1st + 3rd to get Reid and his $2 million a year salary.

I am bearish on McDonald, but I've seen plenty of bad college prospects turn into good pros. Sometimes guys turn into totally different players in the NFL. I think SF was gambling on that.

Marvin49

Reaction score
kearly":1b4qh02g said:
In fairness to the Reid pick, 2013 was not a very good safety class across the board. I think Goldson is a little over-rated too, or at least he's received more pro-bowl consideration than he probably deserves, but he's a very solid all around football player, kind of like Kam with better coverage and less hitting ability. Still, I think Goldson at $8 million per year beats a 1st + 3rd to get Reid and his $2 million a year salary.

I am bearish on McDonald, but I've seen plenty of bad college prospects turn into good pros. Sometimes guys turn into totally different players in the NFL. I think SF was gambling on that.

I've thought Goldson was overratted for years. He's a good solid Safety, but nowhere near as good as the hype. Struggles in coverage and sometimes takes bad angles. Plays downhill tho. Great in run support.

In no way tho was he worth the $$$

I'd take Reid tho in your equasion there. I hope he's a better player than Goldon, but of course there is no way of knowing. The real reason I approve of the move tho is the money. It ain't my money, so who cares right? I care because giving him that much money would hamper them when trying to resign Kaep, Aldon, Crab, or Iupati. As Baalke said, "You can't afford to resign them all, espectially when you overpay some of them".

Seattle is gonna run into this stuff soon too....they'll start having to let some good players walk away in order to resign players who have outperformed their contracts. Sherman, Wilson, Thomas (has he extended yet?). You get my point.

In a vacuum they'd probably have kept Goldson and paid the money. With all of those contacts looming tho, they had to replace him with a cheaper player.

mretrade

Reaction score
That safety that I thought the Niners needed most was a legit cover safety and none of the top safeties in this class fit the mold. Reid looks solid. I wasnt a fan of Cyprien and didnt have an opinion on Vacarro.

pehawk

Reaction score
mretrade":5nrrd8v5 said:
That safety that I thought the Niners needed most was a legit cover safety and none of the top safeties in this class fit the mold. Reid looks solid. I wasnt a fan of Cyprien and didnt have an opinion on Vacarro.

Can you pretend you know the NFL too, and reply to non-49er threads?

Hack...