Niners make their roster cuts

pehawk

Reaction score
mretrade":3vjz5qwa said:
I repleyed to a few in the regular forum lol.

Oh, I saw those, hence the word "hack".

You added absolutely nothing of substance.

Weadoption

Reaction score
Goldson was a hitter but had very little instinct for coverage.
I'm not sure what to think about Reid yet, just impossible to know until he is really tested, which he most definitely will be in the first month against the QB's coming his way. Defensive back play in particular is so hard to evaluate in the pre-season with the offensive playbooks all in lockdown mode and seemingly continuous blitzing by defenses in most of the preseason games I have watched.
But I would have much preferred they draft a cover type safety like Reggie Nelson or Rashad Jones in the later rounds, certainly with the way the league is set up these days. (or yes, Earl Thomas)

Back in 1992, Ninerland thought Dana Hall was going to be a stud based on the early returns.
I can remember reading the "next Ronnie Lott" articles. That was such a joke.
Definitely my biggest worry though is our safety play and covering the medium/underneath stuff. With Whitner's coverage skills seemingly in decline big time, if this Reid kid dosent pan out early, it is Burn City ala the playoffs all over again.

rideaducati

Reaction score
DonnieDarko":1gbggwnl said:
kearly":1gbggwnl said:
I thought the 49ers kind of bombed rounds 1 and 2 this year. I thought all three of those prospects were grossly over-rated before the draft. If the 49ers did take McDonald away from us, then we should send Baalke a gift basket. McDonald is a project with stone hands,

lol

so if the seahawks snatched up McDonald before us then of course he would be a stud. since the 9ers grabbed him the negatives outweigh the positives, got it.

oh by the way, McDonald has looked excellent in the 2 preseason games he's been in.

Pat Kirwan mentioned on his radio show that he and Pete talked about the Seahawks drafting Willson BEFORE THE DRAFT and that ninnie fans that think the ninnies took the TE that Seattle wanted were wrong. McDonald was not on Pete's want list.

samwize77

Reaction score
SonicHawk":187ct1x5 said:
mretrade":187ct1x5 said:
^^^Excuse me? I know my team better than you know yours and I know the Seahawks better than you know the Niners.

Stop trolling.

Get off of our boards.
LOL...well put sir! Right to the point! See, we can agree on some things :)

300ZXNA

Reaction score
All of this talk of whether or not SF sniped the TE in front of us in the second found is being rendered moot by Christine Michael. Would I rather have a situational TE or a potential pro-bowl running back? Easy choice.

John_Redcorn

Reaction score
300ZXNA":1xoiwqwy said:
All of this talk of whether or not SF sniped the TE in front of us in the second found is being rendered moot by Christine Michael. Would I rather have a situational TE or a potential pro-bowl running back? Easy choice.
Every player is potentially a pro-bowler. Problem with your post is Michael gets his touches after Lynch and Vance Mcdonald will be competing with multiple recievers, including Vernon Davis, for targets.

300ZXNA

Reaction score
John_Redcorn":1pfbsoup said:
300ZXNA":1pfbsoup said:
Every player is potentially a pro-bowler. Problem with your post is Michael gets his touches after Lynch and Vance Mcdonald will be competing with multiple recievers, including Vernon Davis, for targets.

Just because it is possible, does not mean it is equally likely. It is not Michaels fault that there is a lot of talent in front of him. At this point, Michael absolutely looks like the superior player to McDonald. Any Niner fan saying they wouldn't trade McDonald for Michael on basis of talent is letting their homerism obscure their logic.

mretrade

Reaction score
Talk about comparing apples to oranges. There were a lot of potential pro bowl running backs in this draft. Talented running backs aren't regarded as highly as talented tight ends right now. And I wouldn't trade Michaels for McDonald because Michaels wouldn't see the field whereas McDonald would make an immediate impact. Michaels is probably more talented than McDonald but both are very talented and its not a very comparable subject.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
mretrade":1hg8r79j said:
Talk about comparing apples to oranges.

Seriously. The Niners needed a #2 TE so they drafted one, the seahawks like to stock RB's I guess, so they drafted one lol. Not everything needs to be compared jeez.

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
300ZXNA":1lglp6uy said:
McDonald is not a situational TE. Luke Wilson might be, but McDonald is the prototypical NFL TE. Big, physical, a viable receiving target.

Christine Michael is good. It was a good pick. 2 years from now, he will be your starter and definitely a potential pro-bowler.

Don't understand why people have to hate on McDonald. He has looked nothing short of very good so far. I would rather have picked McDonald than Michael, but that is because we needed a #2 TE and Michael wouldn't see the field as a 49er. Gore and Hunter are arguably better at this point.

frase32

Reaction score
Cliff notes of most of the threads in this section.

Seahawks fan: Niners are dumb, Hairbaugh is dumb, Niners fans are dumb, Keapernick is dumb...

49ers fan: Psh, no! Seahawks are dumb, Cheat Carroll is dumb, Seahawks fans are dumb, Wilson is too short.......

Rinse and repeat.

:snack:

300ZXNA

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":2ls59jkg said:
mretrade":2ls59jkg said:

Seriously. The Niners needed a #2 TE so they drafted one, the seahawks like to stock RB's I guess, so they drafted one lol. Not everything needs to be compared jeez.

I'm not hating on him, I agree he looks good. My response was to the fact that some here think they are rubbing it in our faces to say he was who PC/JS had targeted and thus a coup for SF. Sure, McDonald might make more sense for your team given roster instruction, but I find it kind off amusing that Michael is being knocked for having Lynch in front of him while McDonald has Davis in front of him.

chris98251

Reaction score
frase32":33xhwllm said:
Cliff notes of most of the threads in this section.

Seahawks fan: Niners are dumb, Hairbaugh is dumb, Niners fans are dumb, Keapernick is dumb...

49ers fan: Psh, no! Seahawks are dumb, Cheat Carroll is dumb, Seahawks fans are dumb, Wilson is too short.......

Rinse and repeat.

:snack:

What no bleach? can't get the stains out without bleach and Shout.

Marvin49

Reaction score
300ZXNA":23f17orx said:
dontbelikethat":23f17orx said:
mretrade":23f17orx said:

I'm not hating on him, I agree he looks good. My response was to the fact that some here think they are rubbing it in our faces to say he was who PC/JS had targeted and thus a coup for SF. Sure, McDonald might make more sense for your team given roster instruction, but I find it kind off amusing that Michael is being knocked for having Lynch in front of him while McDonald has Davis in front of him.

I might have missed a post somewhere because I don't remember any Niner fan "rubbing your faces in it" in regards to McDonald. At this point there is no proof at all that Seattle even had any interest in him.

As for Michael....if the Niners had wanted him, they could have selected him. They had three chances to do so. RB was simply not an immediate need. With Gore, Hunter, and James already on the roster a #2TE (who is almost a starter because they run so many 2 TE sets) was a much larger need (and don't start with the BPA argument...that goes out the window when you trade up for someone). The Niners drafted for the future with Marcus Lattimore knowing he likely wouldn't play this year.

As for the "potential pro bowl" RB....woah....slow down there peoples. LOL. All you've seen is preseason. I think he's looked good and is worth getting excited about, but lets not get ahead of ourselves.

For 3 straight seasons (if I remember correctly) a Niner led the NFL in preseason rushing. If I'm recalling correctly....Cory Sheets, Anthony Dixon, and Kendall Hunter. At this point only one of those guys is a viable starter in the NFL IMO. Anthony Dixon looked freakin' fantastic in the preseason his rookie year...not so much now. LOL.

All of this isn't to say that Michael WON'T be a pro bowl player....just sayin to slow down just a bit. Things change quite a bit in the regular season.

Your last comment makes no sense BTW. Niners often play with 2 and even 3 TEs on the field at the same time. How often do you expect to see two HBs on the field together?

300ZXNA

Reaction score
Why do they have to be on the field at the same time? With how much we run, Michael and Turbin will be getting lots of touches while Lynch is on the bench getting a breather. This also sets us up well for the fact that Lynch likely has only 2-3 more elite seasons before Father Time does to what it does to all RB's. We now have a much better shot at continuity there.

All of your explanations of 49er roster construction is fine and dandy, but wasn't my point at all. My point was that even IF we were targeting McDonald (which I agree with you there is no solid evidence for); our 'consolation prize' is likely to end up the more valuable player over the next 4-5 years.

Also, when your primary RB is on the wrong side of 30, I would be a little more hesitant to declare the position solid. ;)

Stoned Cold

Reaction score
Weadoption":21or4ayh said:
Goldson was a hitter but had very little instinct for coverage.
I'm not sure what to think about Reid yet, just impossible to know until he is really tested, which he most definitely will be in the first month against the QB's coming his way. Defensive back play in particular is so hard to evaluate in the pre-season with the offensive playbooks all in lockdown mode and seemingly continuous blitzing by defenses in most of the preseason games I have watched.
But I would have much preferred they draft a cover type safety like Reggie Nelson or Rashad Jones in the later rounds, certainly with the way the league is set up these days. (or yes, Earl Thomas)

Back in 1992, Ninerland thought Dana Hall was going to be a stud based on the early returns.
I can remember reading the "next Ronnie Lott" articles. That was such a joke.
Definitely my biggest worry though is our safety play and covering the medium/underneath stuff. With Whitner's coverage skills seemingly in decline big time, if this Reid kid dosent pan out early, it is Burn City ala the playoffs all over again.

I haven't really gotten into the whole 49er/Seahawks trash talk but I'll give you my honest opinion as an SEC Fan. I thought Reid was kind of a reach. I was shocked you didn't go with Elam. Reid is a great athlete and has room to grow for sure so I won't discount him. But I think Elam was more game ready. Reid just seemed to be weaker in open field tackling, and seemed kind of stiff in route coverage/recognition and especially double moves. Elam is a bigger hitter for now, and I've seen him make some tremendous plays when the game was on the line.

I watch every SEC game I can watch. But hey, I'm not trying to be a dick and I think Reid has more potential then Elam. Reid could end up being phenomenal with some experience. Dudes hella young.

Stoned Cold

Reaction score
300ZXNA":sluqzk6n said:
Why do they have to be on the field at the same time? With how much we run, Michael and Turbin will be getting lots of touches while Lynch is on the bench getting a breather. This also sets us up well for the fact that Lynch likely has only 2-3 more elite seasons before Father Time does to what it does to all RB's. We now have a much better shot at continuity there.

All of your explanations of 49er roster construction is fine and dandy, but wasn't my point at all. My point was that even IF we were targeting McDonald (which I agree with you there is no solid evidence for); our 'consolation prize' is likely to end up the more valuable player over the next 4-5 years.

Also, when your primary RB is on the wrong side of 30, I would be a little more hesitant to declare the position solid. ;)

No they won't. Unless Lynch is hurt Turbin and Michael won't get that many touches. You don't know what you're talking about.