Niners whine about officiating

Sherminator

Reaction score
Mike Pieria claimed that the refs got it wrong. If you watched the game live (which I doubt most of you were) he claims that while Stanton starts to slide, Skuta begins his tackle.
Wrong call

That image Marvin posted also clearly shows there was no head hunting, and that there was no forearm shiver or whatever this BS was about.

As for me, and the advice I give all of you, if Skutas hit was truly malicious and deserving of a penalty then I await the fine that will follow.
Maybe it's my homer glasses getting in the way, but if he is fined I will admit I was wrong.
Doubt it will go the other way.

Sherminator

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1qypaa9x said:
Sherminator":1qypaa9x said:
I would agree with this post except that Skuta clearly hit his shoulder.
"Clearly"? Um, not even. Maybe? Yes. But maybe his head too. Would love to have seen it in slo-mo.
Regardless, his slide had already begun and your team's player made ZERO effort to pull up or otherwise stop his momentum. What is seen "clearly" here is that there was at minimum an attempt to intimidate and it's possible there was intent to injure. If the roles had been reversed and it was your boy Krapperdink on the receiving end of a hit like this, there would be no discussion here other than possibly your team's fans being outraged over a cheap shot on your QB.

For Marvin to say he was "breaking his fall" and for you to minimize this by saying all he did was "hit his shoulder" is a new low of blind homerism for you Whiner fans on these boards IMO. Please just go to Denial Zone where the rest of your type of fan exists. That type of fan is rarely seen here and the proof of that is in the reaction to Irvin pushing Rivers after Rivers was OOB last week. To my knowledge there was NOT ONE SINGLE Hawks fan here that said the penalty wasn't warranted. ALL the anger here was directed at Irvin's stupidity on the play.

Wait you haven't even seen it in slow mo and you are arguing about the hit? Jesus

Also, if you want to debate the hit with me that's fine, but no need to attack my fanbase or forums. That does nothing for our argument.
Btw that picture Marvin just posted sure helps out your claims

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Bighit
49er2Bhit2Bon2Bdrew2Bstanton

The common denominator here is the impact to the head by a 49er against a defenseless player (one catching a pass and the other initiating a slide).

Pete Carroll has put a lot of emphasis on what he calls "Hawk tackling," which takes the head out of the equation. The 49ers need to do the same because if they continue to impact the head, they will continue to draw these personal foul penalties, which will continue their cycle of whining about conspiracies ad nauseam.

Sherminator

Reaction score
hawknation2014":3my5ivag said:
Bighit

The common denominator here is the impact to the head by a 49er against a defenseless player (one catching a pass and the other initiating a slide).

Pete Carroll has put a lot of emphasis on what he calls "Hawk tackling," which takes the head out of the equation. The 49ers need to do the same because if they continue to impact the head, they will continue to draw these personal foul penalties, which will continue their cycle of whining about conspiracies ad nauseam.

I will agree with you there!
:thirishdrinkers:

Would not mind at all if the niners took some lessons from the tackling drills Carroll has implemented to avoid these kinda of things. Looks like my coaching staff didn't heed the warnings.
As for the hit, it's pointless for me to try and change anyone's opinion on these boards, you are entitled to yours and I'll respect that. Might he my homer glasses but I just don't see it.

I'll wait to see if he is fined. Like I said , if he is, you'll have a post from me claiming I was wrong.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Sherminator":3bf7lcgj said:
hawknation2014":3bf7lcgj said:
Bighit

I will agree with you there!
:thirishdrinkers:

Would not mind at all if the niners took some lessons from the tackling drills Carroll has implemented to avoid these kinda of things. Looks like my coaching staff didn't heed the warnings.
As for the hit, it's pointless for me to try and change anyone's opinion on these boards, you are entitled to yours and I'll respect that. Might he my homer glasses but I just don't see it.

I'll wait to see if he is fined. Like I said , if he is, you'll have a post from me claiming I was wrong.

Whitner wasn't fined for hitting Luke Willson in the head, so I doubt Skuta will be fined for drilling Stanton in the head and neck region. That is unless the league wants to cut through the 49er whining and hit home a message that this kind of impact to the head of a defenseless player is not acceptable.

hawker84

Reaction score
Sherminator":7ckvv3t7 said:
Mike Pieria claimed that the refs got it wrong. If you watched the game live (which I doubt most of you were) he claims that while Stanton starts to slide, Skuta begins his tackle.
Wrong call

That image Marvin posted also clearly shows there was no head hunting, and that there was no forearm shiver or whatever this BS was about.

As for me, and the advice I give all of you, if Skutas hit was truly malicious and deserving of a penalty then I await the fine that will follow.
Maybe it's my homer glasses getting in the way, but if he is fined I will admit I was wrong.

It's a penalty all day every day. this is not even debate material... :141847_bnono:

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Sherminator":1no8q34o said:
Wrong call

There is a Niners fan on Niners Nation that still claims that Kam Chancellor's hit on Vernon Davis in 2012 near the goal line is a penalty even though he wasn't fined for it. Fred.P.Soft.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Largent80":3lobv1tr said:
I think all fans can agree that the refs make a LOT of bad calls.

Some of them with video proof and they STILL get it wrong.
This.

I feel like the Digits getting bad calls now is just a little bit of football karma coming round to bite them after all the officiating gifts from the game a year ago. But even more, I just wish the officials would be competent and consistent -- and right now, they are neither.

The NFL needs to work its way toward 100% full time refs and accountability. It might not be possible to create a negative financial incentive when they make mistakes, but I think it is feasible to have a per-game bonus that they get when they do good, that they don't get when they screw up.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Marvin49":1hosz9ai said:
bigtrain21":1hosz9ai said:
Marvin49":1hosz9ai said:
Donte Whitner was hit with like 4 or 5 of those last year and was never fined once.

Wrong.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... is-givens/

Do more research. Pretty sure he won the appeal.

You do more research. What makes you think that? You mean a month later when Whitner said the money wasn't taken out of his account so he must have won his appeal? That is not how it works. His money hadn't been taken out of his account because the appeal wasn't heard yet.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
BlueTalon":1zmgjpwo said:
........I just wish the officials would be competent and consistent -- and right now, they are neither.

The NFL needs to work its way toward 100% full time refs and accountability. It might not be possible to create a negative financial incentive when they make mistakes, but I think it is feasible to have a per-game bonus that they get when they do good, that they don't get when they screw up.
:13:

Popeyejones

Reaction score
BlueTalon":2mbqxvo5 said:

Bingo. The officiating has probably really dropped in the rankings for integrity to the game questions this year (an understatement :lol: ), but it's still a massive problem, and 100% agreed about full time positions and positive incentives for good work. That's the prize we should have our eyes on.Also worth saying however that it's never going to be perfect. There's just not a harder sport to correctly officiate than the NFL. If anything I think the league has made a mistake by decreasing the subjectivity of calls (e.g. five versus fifteen yard variants on the same call) in a misguided effort to create rationality out of what will always be a subjective evaluation.

As for the 9ers so far, I think the random chance of borderline and downright bad calls certainly hasn't looked favorably upon them so far this year, but it's three games, and these things even out over time. If you're playing well and have multiple score leads at half time you should be able to overcome crappy calls anyway.

Overall, as fans I think there's literally no point in complaining about officiating as it just relates to your team, unless you've convinced yourself there's some massive conspiracy against your team, and then you're not worth listening to anyway. ;)

Marvin49

Reaction score
Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows · 1m
Dan Skuta said he wasn't fined for his hit on Drew Stanton on Sunday. It drew a 15-yard penalty.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Marvin49":1bj5dd8r said:
Dan Skuta said he wasn't fined for his hit on Drew Stanton on Sunday. It drew a 15-yard penalty.

The NFL also hasn't said they made a mistake . . . because they didn't. That was a hit to the head/neck area of a defenseless player.

Sherminator

Reaction score
hawknation2014":3gqa7a68 said:
Marvin49":3gqa7a68 said:

The NFL also hasn't said they made a mistake . . . because they didn't. That was a hit to the head/neck area of a defenseless player.

Double negative.

At this point I'm going to credit this to your blind homerism.
The NFL, best in the world at what they do, believes it was a clean hit not worthy of a fine.

If you think you know more than they do you are crazy.
Clean hit, bad penalty call.

Just like I said before, I knew even if he didn't get penalized you would still not admit you are wrong.
Sad

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Sherminator":8hcsgcqf said:
hawknation2014":8hcsgcqf said:
Marvin49":8hcsgcqf said:

Double negative.

The NFL, best in the world at what they do, believes it was a clean hit not worthy of a fine.

Just like I said before, I knew even if he didn't get penalized you would still not admit you are wrong.
Sad

The NFL doesn't fine every personal foul penalty. They didn't fine Donte Whitner's hit on Luke Willson.

What they do is carefully review every penalty and acknowledge when they have made a mistake. They did that yesterday with their bad call against the Redskins' Chris Baker for what should have been a legal hit on Nick Foles.

“Baker didn’t do anything wrong with that hit,” said Troy Vincent, the NFL’s executive vice president of football operations. “When you look at the rule, he didn’t do anything illegal. People can say it’s a cheap shot and you can talk about whether it might fall under unsportsmanlike conduct. But when you know the rule and you look at the play, he didn’t hit him in the head. He didn’t hit him in the neck. We looked at it. I looked at it very closely."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11582 ... hit-ruling

Sherminator

Reaction score
hawknation2014":2qfgplvl said:
Sherminator":2qfgplvl said:
hawknation2014":2qfgplvl said:
Marvin49":2qfgplvl said:

Double negative.

Sad

The NFL doesn't fine every personal foul penalty. They didn't fine Donte Whitner's hit on Luke Willson.

What they do is carefully review every penalty and acknowledge when they have made a mistake. They did that yesterday with their bad call against the Redskins' Chris Baker for what should have been a legal hit on Nick Foles.

They didn't need to fine Whitner because he hit his shoulder.

Anyways I'm done arguing this, the beauty of it all is I don't have to defend the hit because the NFL did that for me.
Clean

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Sherminator":2d1rww7g said:
hawknation2014":2d1rww7g said:
Sherminator":2d1rww7g said:
hawknation2014":2d1rww7g said:

Double negative.

Sad

They didn't need to fine Whitner because he hit his shoulder.

Anyways I'm done arguing this, the beauty of it all is I don't have to defend the hit because the NFL did that for me.
Clean

If you think the NFL fines every personal foul penalty, then you are simply misinformed.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawknation2014":3dpbo2x2 said:
Marvin49":3dpbo2x2 said:

Unreal.

Are you somehow under the impression that they come out and publically apologize for every incorrect call? If they don't fine a PF hit, its pretty damn telling...particular if its a "fierce forearm shiver" as alleged.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawknation2014":33jax9mz said:
Sherminator":33jax9mz said:
hawknation2014":33jax9mz said:
Marvin49":33jax9mz said:

Double negative.

Sad

“Baker didn’t do anything wrong with that hit,” said Troy Vincent, the NFL’s executive vice president of football operations. “When you look at the rule, he didn’t do anything illegal. People can say it’s a cheap shot and you can talk about whether it might fall under unsportsmanlike conduct. But when you know the rule and you look at the play, he didn’t hit him in the head. He didn’t hit him in the neck. We looked at it. I looked at it very closely."

Right...so your logic here is that any call they don't come out and publically make a statement on is still a correct call.

Wow.

Dude..take a step back. Really? THAT'S your argument?

If someone is flagged for unnecessary roughness and they did it, THEY WILL BE FINED. Period. If they DON'T get fined.....

.......do the math.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Can we really trust Skuta???

"I try to stay as low as I possibly can," said Skuta, whose blindside hit came on the back of Stanton’s shoulder. "I talked to (Stanton) after the game. I said, 'You know I wouldn’t hit you if you were down.' He said, 'I know, that’s why I didn’t say anything. I knew it was a bad call.'

"That’s what he said."

Stanton, though, had a somewhat different recollection.

"I was just like, 'Really?'" he recalled. "I saw this guy and this other guy hit me from behind. I went up to Dan and asked him, 'You’re from Michigan, bro, what’s going on?'"