OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Marvin49":4hmls9mk said:
hawknation2014":4hmls9mk said:
Sherminator":4hmls9mk said:
hawknation2014":4hmls9mk said:
The NFL also hasn't said they made a mistake . . . because they didn't. That was a hit to the head/neck area of a defenseless player.

Double negative.

At this point I'm going to credit this to your blind homerism.
The NFL, best in the world at what they do, believes it was a clean hit not worthy of a fine.

If you think you know more than they do you are crazy.
Clean hit, bad penalty call.

Just like I said before, I knew even if he didn't get penalized you would still not admit you are wrong.
Sad

The NFL doesn't fine every personal foul penalty. They didn't fine Donte Whitner's hit on Luke Willson.

What they do is carefully review every penalty and acknowledge when they have made a mistake. They did that yesterday with their bad call against the Redskins' Chris Baker for what should have been a legal hit on Nick Foles.

“Baker didn’t do anything wrong with that hit,” said Troy Vincent, the NFL’s executive vice president of football operations. “When you look at the rule, he didn’t do anything illegal. People can say it’s a cheap shot and you can talk about whether it might fall under unsportsmanlike conduct. But when you know the rule and you look at the play, he didn’t hit him in the head. He didn’t hit him in the neck. We looked at it. I looked at it very closely."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11582 ... hit-ruling

Right...so your logic here is that any call they don't come out and publically make a statement on is still a correct call.

Wow.

Dude..take a step back. Really? THAT'S your argument?

If someone is flagged for unnecessary roughness and they did it, THEY WILL BE FINED. Period. If they DON'T get fined.....

.......do the math.

That's totally false. I can think of countless examples of correct unnecessary roughness calls that were not fined. The NFL typically only fines the most egregious penalties. Not having a fine doesn't mean it wasn't a penalty.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":3ql853np said:
Amazingly there are whiners on plebzone who are being threatened with bans because they are saying there ISN'T a conspiracy.

Link?

You clearly spend more time there than I do, but I'll eat my hat if there's not more to that story than your summary of it. ;)

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1vwctytf said:
Marvin49":1vwctytf said:
hawknation2014":1vwctytf said:
Sherminator":1vwctytf said:
The NFL doesn't fine every personal foul penalty. They didn't fine Donte Whitner's hit on Luke Willson.

What they do is carefully review every penalty and acknowledge when they have made a mistake. They did that yesterday with their bad call against the Redskins' Chris Baker for what should have been a legal hit on Nick Foles.

“Baker didn’t do anything wrong with that hit,” said Troy Vincent, the NFL’s executive vice president of football operations. “When you look at the rule, he didn’t do anything illegal. People can say it’s a cheap shot and you can talk about whether it might fall under unsportsmanlike conduct. But when you know the rule and you look at the play, he didn’t hit him in the head. He didn’t hit him in the neck. We looked at it. I looked at it very closely."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11582 ... hit-ruling

Right...so your logic here is that any call they don't come out and publically make a statement on is still a correct call.

Wow.

Dude..take a step back. Really? THAT'S your argument?

If someone is flagged for unnecessary roughness and they did it, THEY WILL BE FINED. Period. If they DON'T get fined.....

.......do the math.

That's totally false. I can think of countless examples of correct unnecessary roughness calls that were not fined. The NFL typically only fines the most egregious penalties. Not having a fine doesn't mean it wasn't a penalty.

I give up. No point in continuing this if peeps just make stuff up to be "right".

Marvin49

Reaction score
Scottemojo":30wrlrpl said:
Kam laid out Vernon with a legal hit and got flagged too. But not fined. Later in the week we will find out how legal the NFL thought Skuta's hit was.

BTW, Mikey P is the FORMER head of officiating. And you will find no love or respect for Baghdad Mike here.

Look...Scotte gets it...

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Marvin49":6qqib103 said:
I give up. No point in continuing this if peeps just make stuff up to be "right".

You give up because you are full of it.

For example, Ndamukong Suh went unfined for a blatant late hit on Chad Henne. The NFL does not fine every personal foul, and they don't explain why they choose not to fine someone.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... he-passer/

However, they do come out and admit when they have made a mistake with a personal foul penality, i.e. with Chris Baker yesterday. They have not done so with Skuta's hit to Stanton's head and neck.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Marvin49":2p094750 said:
Scottemojo":2p094750 said:
Kam laid out Vernon with a legal hit and got flagged too. But not fined. Later in the week we will find out how legal the NFL thought Skuta's hit was.

BTW, Mikey P is the FORMER head of officiating. And you will find no love or respect for Baghdad Mike here.

Look...Scotte gets it...

Well, the NFL today said the Baker hit on Foles was legal, and he got ejected for it.

Error on the side of caution indeed.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Scottemojo":25v2852w said:
Marvin49":25v2852w said:
Scottemojo":25v2852w said:

Look...Scotte gets it...

Well, the NFL today said the Baker hit on Foles was legal, and he got ejected for it.

Error on the side of caution indeed.

Pretty much.

kearly

Reaction score
Sherminator":37ilezjz said:
I would agree with this post except that Skuta clearly hit his shoulder.

I just went frame by frame on the GIF above, and you are right, it's a shoulder to shoulder hit all the way.

Attachments

• 49er-hit-on-drew-stanton3.gif
    49er-hit-on-drew-stanton3.gif
    137.3 KB · Views: 593
  • 49er-hit-on-drew-stanton2.gif
    49er-hit-on-drew-stanton2.gif
    139.5 KB · Views: 591
  • 49er-hit-on-drew-stanton1.gif
    49er-hit-on-drew-stanton1.gif
    140.2 KB · Views: 591

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I didn't think Tate should have gotten fined for what he did to Lee, and I don't think Skuta should either. Both are cases of what happened after the hit being more the reason for a flag than the way the hit actually happened.

It isn't going to change either. The league has to have the legal room to convince any jury or judge that they are trying to prevent head injuries. Bad flags for legal, but ugly hits, are here to stay.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
huskylawyer":29k7xoj5 said:
I think the hit on a sliding Stanton was a proper call. As said ealrier, once he initiates, you can't hit.

The call the next play by Willis on Stanton was horrendous though. The ref called "blow to the head" and Willis didn't even touch Stanton's head. He delivered the hit with perfect form just when Stanton was releasing the ball. That was a bad call to the extreme.

I didn't see the play but I read (actually on the webzone) that another player did in fact hit Stanton in the head on the same play. It could be a case of the wrong player being called.

Edit, it may have read spearing. Can't remember. If anyone has a clip it would be interesting to see.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
RichNhansom":bn98wnj9 said:
huskylawyer":bn98wnj9 said:
I think the hit on a sliding Stanton was a proper call. As said ealrier, once he initiates, you can't hit.

The call the next play by Willis on Stanton was horrendous though. The ref called "blow to the head" and Willis didn't even touch Stanton's head. He delivered the hit with perfect form just when Stanton was releasing the ball. That was a bad call to the extreme.

I didn't see the play but I read (actually on the webzone) that another player did in fact hit Stanton in the head on the same play. It could be a case of the wrong player being called.

Edit, it may have read spearing. Can't remember. If anyone has a clip it would be interesting to see.

Willis speared his head at Stanton but appeared to just barely miss making contact. It was a bad call, but at the same time Willis should know better.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
kearly":1ypfh9ao said:
bigtrain21":1ypfh9ao said:
Isn't his foreharm above his shoulder?

Not until after the initial blow.

Yes, it is the contact to the head after the initial shoulder to shoulder hit that drew the penalty, as Skuta rolls over Stanton making contact with his head and neck as it bounces off the turf.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawknation2014":2zmd7p1m said:
kearly":2zmd7p1m said:
bigtrain21":2zmd7p1m said:

Yes, it is the contact to the head after the initial shoulder to shoulder hit that drew the penalty, as Skuta rolls over Stanton making contact with his head and neck as it bounces off the turf.

Give. Up. You are wrong.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Marvin49":1kudxcat said:
hawknation2014":1kudxcat said:
kearly":1kudxcat said:
bigtrain21":1kudxcat said:

Give. Up. You are wrong.
Oh the irony! :34853_doh:

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3o8l3rna said:
Marvin49":3o8l3rna said:
hawknation2014":3o8l3rna said:
kearly":3o8l3rna said:

Give. Up. You are wrong.
Oh the irony! :34853_doh:

Only in Marvin's world is this contact to the head not a penalty.

Whine on, Marvin.

Bighit
49er2Bhit2Bon2Bdrew2Bstanton

4freakin9

Reaction score
Yes, it is the contact to the head after the initial shoulder to shoulder hit that drew the penalty, as Skuta rolls over Stanton making contact with his head and neck as it bounces off the turf.[/quote]

Give. Up. You are wrong.[/quote]
Oh the irony! :34853_doh:[/quote]

Only in Marvin's world is this contact to the head not a penalty.

Whine on, Marvin.

Bighit
49er2Bhit2Bon2Bdrew2Bstanton[/quote]

Contact to the head is a penalty. Shoulder to shoulder contact when the QB goes to dive late because he is trying to get a first down is perfectly legal. Skuta not getting fined, looks like the league agrees it was a bad call. Nothing new I guess, we had to put up with this a ton last season with Whitner.

http://www.sacbee.com/2014/09/24/6733914/49ers-notes-davises-practice-gore.html

"Outside linebacker Dan Skuta said he hasn’t received a fine for his hit on Cardinals quarterback Drew Stanton, which drew a 15-yard roughing-the-passer penalty. A lack of a fine indicates that upon review the NFL felt the hit was legal."

Laloosh

Reaction score
Lol, Skuta had to go low just to hit him. I'm not sure how anyone decided he was committed before the slide. If he was, wouldn't he fly over the top like 90% of the scenarios in which a QB slides? Niner fans, lol.

253hawk

Reaction score
hawksfanohio":1j3kb7ti said:
The funny thing is, that Seattle led the league in penalties by a substantial amount last year and didn't hear any of their players say what crybaby Boldin just did. He's been a cheap shot artist his entire career.

It's a lot easier to recover from defensive penalties than offensive ones. Especially dumb personal fouls.

Latest posts