No Love for Bevell Today?

kidhawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1opf9he9 said:
Exactly. And a few of those runs were used to keep the clock moving and force them to burn their timeouts in the fourth quarter.

Every run we had in the 2nd half was a failure and they helped stop drives.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
He was better, but there were a couple of drives where he reverted to bad Darrell Bevell. Particularly the one up 28-17 with the opportunity to bury the Bills.. then he came out and called two run plays when the running game was clearly not going to get going and the passing game was moving it very consistently all night. That made me rage a little bit, especially when the Bills would cut it to 3 on the next drive.

Aside from that, yeah he was a lot better last night.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kidhawk":2w508hbs said:
Time and time again, they try to force the run. That pattern was often successful when we had decent run blockers on the O-line and Lynch in the backfield. Right now, we do not have that. Their attempt at running the ball was a failure and got us off to a slow start in the second half.

I agree that happens, but last night was not one of those games.

First drive of the 2nd half, 8 plays, two called runs. Second drive, 8 plays, one called run. Last drive, three plays, one called run.

Nowhere last night did we try to force the run, unless you'd just like to see zero runs on the stat sheet. No offense, no matter how pathetic their run game is runs zero times. Gotta at least throw in a couple runs each drive to keep the defense honest. Especially on this team with how horrible our pass pro is at getting Russell killed.

McGruff

Reaction score
Bitter":1d0vvg94 said:
2 to 1 time of possession (a good portion of that is on the defense this game) and only 3 points in the second half.

For once the 2-1 time of possession was not the offenses fault. We sustained drives, even in the 2nd half, but the defense couldn't stop a third down conversion the entire game. This was all on them, not the offense and not Bevell.

mrt144

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2ascurjw said:
Bevell's critics keep telling us he lacks imagination, he's too rigid, he's too predictable, he doesn't use our strengths properly..............well I saw one hell of an offensive game called last night.

Lots of motion to free up Jimmy, quick hits, screens and slants, using Russell's increased health to run a little read on the TD and most importantly with Lockett being healthy going deep again for explosive plays. One of the more complex dynamic play calling schemes of the past couple years.

Why you ask? Cause Pete finally had enough of trying to get the run game going and took the leash off the passing game and let it fly, that's why. Not Bevell, Pete.

Picking on the DBs deep and actually getting RW time, as ugly as it was at times, was huge. We know RW is a baller for real when he has the time and 1 on 1 coverage. You could see some of these deep, long developing plays get totally blown to bits earlier in the season.

Also, Jimmy on seams in the EZ...one handed, both times. I don't want to rely on JFG magic every time but those were awesome.

The running game needs to work the outsides more.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":spqwpthp said:
kidhawk":spqwpthp said:
Time and time again, they try to force the run. That pattern was often successful when we had decent run blockers on the O-line and Lynch in the backfield. Right now, we do not have that. Their attempt at running the ball was a failure and got us off to a slow start in the second half.

I agree that happens, but last night was not one of those games.

First drive of the 2nd half, 8 plays, two called runs. Second drive, 8 plays, one called run. Last drive, three plays, one called run.

Nowhere last night did we try to force the run, unless you'd just like to see zero runs on the stat sheet. No offense, no matter how pathetic their run game is runs zero times. Gotta at least throw in a couple runs each drive to keep the defense honest. Especially on this team with how horrible our pass pro is at getting Russell killed.

Last night I'd have rather seen zero runs, especially up the gut. They went nowhere all night long and only made it harder for the offense to thrive. Every run in the second half helped us lead to a stalled drive. I believe that 2 of those runs led to us needing long yardage on the next play and led to drive ending sacks.

Look, I said it above, I don't necessarily blame Bevell, it appears that Pete has a clock control mentality when he gets a lead. It can be very frustrating, especially when our run game is as inept as it has been this season.

Ozzy

Reaction score
This was definitely one of his better performances especially in the first half. I didn't like his low percentage third down call that led to a sack in the second half but again I really liked a few of the calls. Like kid said he's still closer to average than BOTH the haters and pro bevell crowd think.

potatohead

Reaction score
The first half was great. I will be the first to admit, I was very surprised on the first drive - On second and longish they threw a bomb (I would have bet good money on a run play since he does that on second and medium/long 95% of the time) and then the touchdown run from RW was great, was expecting another hand off to Michael. I think those types of plays that totally throw the defense off need to happen more often.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Yes, he called a very good game last night.

He let Russell attack their defense, and actually utilized Jimmy graham appropriately. Hopefully he can build off of this

Optimus25

Reaction score
I think it was hard to come out cheering and eating crow on Bevell with the second half fizzle and the thirty something yards rushing.

Im glad to finally see lockett on some jet motion stuff, one very successful run and one diversion.

I mean it's like you just ask, beg, and plead Bevell to use Jimmy to his capability, and when he finally does???. What do you know, it works. Because he's Jimmy Fing Graham.

So i think the community is just rolling their eyes about Bevell today and saying ''duh. Told you if Bevell used Jimmy more we'd actually score points''.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I wrote in Darrell Bevell for president today on the ballot.

kf3339

Reaction score
The first half offense looked great! The second half we reverted back to old Bevell. As stated above if they had stayed with the first half game calling we would have won by several scores.

It would be nice if we can get an offense that is creative, aggressive and hard for defenses to game plan against the whole game. We seem to see only pieces each game.

But it was a much better effort than any game yet this season.

keatonisballin

Reaction score
He called a good first half. Maybe someday he will learn to call a good full game. The Bills made adjustments and like usual Bevell doesn't know how to adapt and our Offense was dead the entire second half. Granted, if Kearse knew how to catch the ball it would have been 38-25. He shouldn't have been in that situation though anyways. Graham, Baldwin, hell even Richardson would have caught that ball.

hawker84

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":37dqi0bg said:
Nothinbutm":37dqi0bg said:
I'll take first half-Bevell for 500, Trebeck.
This.

Yep, as soon as he ran the bubble screen for no yardage and then followed that with the 2nd and 9 run for no yardage, I called the sack, and sure enough.. Right then I knew we went back into the let's play to not lose, instead of play to crush the other teams will.

Other than that, have no real complaints with Bevell last night. But I mean come on, the Bills DB's are so bad, you have to draw up a game plan to attack them. So kudos to him for doing that, and abandoning the run game for the most part when it was obvious they weren't going to give up much on the ground.

Just wish he'd stop calling run play on 2nd and long so much.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
kf3339":gjqhik6a said:
The first half offense looked great! The second half we reverted back to old Bevell

I'm assuming you judged purely by results. It's been pointed elsewhere that sacks killed two drives.

McGruff

Reaction score
kf3339":1nx3umih said:
The first half offense looked great! The second half we reverted back to old Bevell. As stated above if they had stayed with the first half game calling we would have won by several scores.

It would be nice if we can get an offense that is creative, aggressive and hard for defenses to game plan against the whole game. We seem to see only pieces each game.

I don't get this narrative of two halves . . .

We opened the 2nd half with a sustained drive that brought us into FG range before a 3rd down sack knocked us out.

The 2nd drive we drove 40 yards or so and kicked a FG.

The 3rd drive was the only fail, and even that was on a sack.

The problem in the 2nd half was not the plays Bevell called . . . it was that he didn't have any chances to call more plays because the defense was giving out 1st downs like candy.

kidhawk

Reaction score
McGruff":3qv8l4ks said:
kf3339":3qv8l4ks said:

I don't get this narrative of two halves . . .

We opened the 2nd half with a sustained drive that brought us into FG range before a 3rd down sack knocked us out.

The 2nd drive we drove 40 yards or so and kicked a FG.

The 3rd drive was the only fail, and even that was on a sack.

The problem in the 2nd half was not the plays Bevell called . . . it was that he didn't have any chances to call more plays because the defense was giving out 1st downs like candy.

We ran the ball HORRIBLE all day long. Running backs ran for such a miniscule amount per carry that it's not even worth looking up. This most definitely isn't on Bevell, but it does need fixing. The difference in the two halves is that in the first half, we were able to make first downs on long down to go and in the 2nd half we were unable to do that. Each time we ran the ball it left us in a long down to go situation. These long situations make Wilson more susceptible to sacks and they increase the odds of the offense not scoring and/or sustaining drives.

nIdahoSeahawk

Reaction score
Bitter":3dkxb8b8 said:
HoustonHawk82":3dkxb8b8 said:
Nothinbutm":3dkxb8b8 said:

For $500, and a share of the lead:

"In the year 2013, The Seahawks employed a short to intermediate passing game devised by Darrell Bevell, utilizing two-tight end sets featuring Anthony McCoy, and this tight end, formerly of the Oakland Raiders?"

:snack:

Man I wish we had him back from Chicago :sarcasm_off:
Thanks for the sarcasm flag, I was about to lose my mind lol.

A

Anonymous

nIdahoSeahawk":2lnib28g said:
Bitter":2lnib28g said:
HoustonHawk82":2lnib28g said:
Nothinbutm":2lnib28g said:

For $500, and a share of the lead:

"In the year 2013, The Seahawks employed a short to intermediate passing game devised by Darrell Bevell, utilizing two-tight end sets featuring Anthony McCoy, and this tight end, formerly of the Oakland Raiders?"

:snack:

Man I wish we had him back from Chicago :sarcasm_off:
Thanks for the sarcasm flag, I was about to lose my mind lol.

RRRRRRR!

The answer is "Who is Zach Miller?"

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kidhawk":j2f489y6 said:
We ran the ball HORRIBLE all day long. Running backs ran for such a miniscule amount per carry that it's not even worth looking up. This most definitely isn't on Bevell, but it does need fixing. The difference in the two halves is that in the first half, we were able to make first downs on long down to go and in the 2nd half we were unable to do that. Each time we ran the ball it left us in a long down to go situation. These long situations make Wilson more susceptible to sacks and they increase the odds of the offense not scoring and/or sustaining drives.

It won't be fixed this year, not with this line.

All we can hope for is Russell to continue to heal and Rawls to come back, it'll be better if those things happen. But fixed to the old days of Beast Mode pounding the opposition into submission behind a nasty line? Nope.

Latest posts