No Love for Bevell Today?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
It's just like someone said..PETE decided to pass ..I think it's PC who decides if we run or pass and DB just sends the play..At 5-2-1 I'm not complaining at all

razor150

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2bjk9sg2 said:
kidhawk":2bjk9sg2 said:
We ran the ball HORRIBLE all day long. Running backs ran for such a miniscule amount per carry that it's not even worth looking up. This most definitely isn't on Bevell, but it does need fixing. The difference in the two halves is that in the first half, we were able to make first downs on long down to go and in the 2nd half we were unable to do that. Each time we ran the ball it left us in a long down to go situation. These long situations make Wilson more susceptible to sacks and they increase the odds of the offense not scoring and/or sustaining drives.

It won't be fixed this year, not with this line.

All we can hope for is Russell to continue to heal and Rawls to come back, it'll be better if those things happen. But fixed to the old days of Beast Mode pounding the opposition into submission behind a nasty line? Nope.

I think it is laughable that people think Rawls will come back and save our running game. When he was playing he looked worse than Michael. But hey, hail to the savior of our running game Rawls because he can make this porous offensive line look good. lol

Can't wait for the excuses on why Rawls looked worse than Michael.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":gxewss28 said:
kidhawk":gxewss28 said:
We ran the ball HORRIBLE all day long. Running backs ran for such a miniscule amount per carry that it's not even worth looking up. This most definitely isn't on Bevell, but it does need fixing. The difference in the two halves is that in the first half, we were able to make first downs on long down to go and in the 2nd half we were unable to do that. Each time we ran the ball it left us in a long down to go situation. These long situations make Wilson more susceptible to sacks and they increase the odds of the offense not scoring and/or sustaining drives.

All we can hope for is Russell to continue to heal and Rawls to come back, it'll be better if those things happen. But fixed to the old days of Beast Mode pounding the opposition into submission behind a nasty line? Nope.

I agree, but I would like to see them become good enough to be able to run against teams with weaker fronts like the Saints. I'm not looking for a top tier running attack, just one that will not falter when Pete goes into his time management mode

justafan

Reaction score
I guess I am having trouble understanding peoples problem with running the ball.Typically football fans from the PNW love D and a tough physical offense.People even called the 2005 team a finesse offense.

If you want to run the ball you have to commit to it until you can impose your will on the other team.At no point last night did the number of running plays feel forced or cost us a drive. The offense has just become soft.Even New Orleans played a more physical style of football than we did.I think it even bleeds into the D when we dont play a tough style of football

kf3339

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":tm8vfsy2 said:
kf3339":tm8vfsy2 said:
The first half offense looked great! The second half we reverted back to old Bevell

I'm assuming you judged purely by results. It's been pointed elsewhere that sacks killed two drives.

Not just results, but I don't think there is any question the two halves were not similar. At least to me.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
I think we should try some of what the Bills were doing with their RBs, having 2 and sometimes 3 in the backfield. Give some misdirection and I think we can have a better run game that will open up the middle.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Yes, let us sing the song of Bevell for just now figuring out that Jimmy Grahm is on the team.

cymatica

Reaction score
I think we should try some of what the Bills were doing with their RBs, having 2 and sometimes 3 in the backfield. Give some misdirection and I think we can have a better run game that will open up the middle.

Excactly. This why i do put some of the blame of the running game on bevell. He is our offensive coordinator, it's his job to coordinate a gameplan and find plays that work, is it not?

Seems like all year we run the same vanilla run scheme with no creativety. Example: using zone read plays with an injured qb. I mean cmon man, that should say something right there

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
So we are really going to sing the praises of Bevell when his turtling in the 2nd half damned would have cost us the game but for the defense limiting the Bills to a FG?

If the Bills come back and score a TD, then this is a very different thread.

His inability to score in the 2nd half almost really hurt the team, and considering just how much the defense pulled the *sses of the offense out of the fire for game after game this year - it makes sense that on a day the defense had a down day...the offense should have done its job for a change.

We squandered plenty of possessions in the 2nd half, and it was brutally annoying.

Bevell might have done a decent job in the 1st half against a hapless Bills secondary but he sure did very little to help the team in the 2nd half.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
We had only 3 offensive possessions in the second half and hit a FG on one of them. That is not squandering. And on that third possession, I think the directive was to kill the clock and make them burn their timeouts. So we went conservative with a short pass to Jimmy and 2 runs.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
razor150":d4qiw8fq said:
Sgt. Largent":d4qiw8fq said:
kidhawk":d4qiw8fq said:

I think it is laughable that people think Rawls will come back and save our running game. When he was playing he looked worse than Michael. But hey, hail to the savior of our running game Rawls because he can make this porous offensive line look good. lol

In no way did I imply Rawls is the answer, but if healthy he brings the kind of nasty running style that fits our run game............and more importantly he can break tackles and gain yards when there's not a perfect hole. Michael's a finesse runner that needs a clean hole and goes down on first contact. Not a good type of back with how terrible this line is.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Pete Carroll limited the playcalling against the Saints. He limited all the deep ball threats in that game because he didn't want Wilson to throw it deep. He even said he limited those deep ball passes even in practice due to thinking Wilson couldn't throw far enough with his injury.

The Bills game, Wilson kept telling Pete through out the week to open up the playbook and let him loose. He finally did and we were rewarded with an offense.

Pete says what goes in the plan and what goes out. Then wouldn't that mean Bevell is also constraint to what he can and can't call.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":3pxmrbi4 said:
Pete says what goes in the plan and what goes out. Then wouldn't that mean Bevell is also constraint to what he can and can't call.

You just contradicted yourself.

Of course what Pete wants to see the offense run week to week are the parameters in which Pete, Bevell and Russell use for the offensive schemes and playcalling.

Pete said last week that we were going to see something different, and we did. If we had a decent O-line and healthy Rawls and Wilson, then you'd see the offense revert back to the past couple years of pounding the rock and using that to play action and take shots downfield.

My guess is we'll keep seeing a more dynamic motion based deception based passing game trying to free up Doug and Jimmy from their double teams on Sunday.

cheese22

Reaction score
ESPN just reported that the decision to open up the offense was made on the plane ride back from NOLA. It was PC, Bevell, RW and a couple other coaches and RW making the plea to get more creative. It's a little disturbing to hear that such an athletic, intelligent QB has to talk the head coach and OC into being more creative but not totally surprising. I've often said that they seem to show as little as possible in the first half of the season and then open it up so they are gaining steam heading into the playoffs. Seems about the right time.

razor150

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3lt8cpx2 said:
razor150":3lt8cpx2 said:
Sgt. Largent":3lt8cpx2 said:

In no way did I imply Rawls is the answer, but if healthy he brings the kind of nasty running style that fits our run game............and more importantly he can break tackles and gain yards when there's not a perfect hole. Michael's a finesse runner that needs a clean hole and goes down on first contact. Not a good type of back with how terrible this line is.

Okay, reasonable response, and I can understand where you are coming from. So I apologize for me original snarky reply, I have just gotten tired of reading people blaming Michael for everything. I do disagree though. What we've scene so far, though a small sample size, says the reality is the opposite. When Rawls was healthy Michael looked like the back that worked better with this o-line with his burst and greater ability to slip through the what little holes were there.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2lqu0lcu said:
theincrediblesok":2lqu0lcu said:

You just contradicted yourself.

Of course what Pete wants to see the offense run week to week are the parameters in which Pete, Bevell and Russell use for the offensive schemes and playcalling.

Pete said last week that we were going to see something different, and we did. If we had a decent O-line and healthy Rawls and Wilson, then you'd see the offense revert back to the past couple years of pounding the rock and using that to play action and take shots downfield.

My guess is we'll keep seeing a more dynamic motion based deception based passing game trying to free up Doug and Jimmy from their double teams on Sunday.

I might of stated it wrong. but the truth of the matter is that they didn't let Wilson loose until after the Saints game, and in that game he was limited by the play-calling.

If our QB has to beg to open up the playbook just to get this offense going then it sounded like last year. If that is the case then I think our offense will get back up to it's feet at least through the air until hopefully if Rawls is healthy can help us with the run game. The good news is that we will be getting healthier down the stretch while others teams are combating injuries.

McGruff

Reaction score
cheese22":1mlcktcn said:
ESPN just reported that the decision to open up the offense was made on the plane ride back from NOLA. It was PC, Bevell, RW and a couple other coaches and RW making the plea to get more creative. It's a little disturbing to hear that such an athletic, intelligent QB has to talk the head coach and OC into being more creative but not totally surprising. I've often said that they seem to show as little as possible in the first half of the season and then open it up so they are gaining steam heading into the playoffs. Seems about the right time.

Doesn't surprise me at all. It strikes me that players will always call for risk, while coaches will usually play it safe.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
sdog1981":37p5rk1t said:
Yes, let us sing the song of Bevell for just now figuring out that Jimmy Grahm is on the team.

Funny... so last week the offense was going to cost Pete his job.

Now you're resorting to this. 'He only just figured out how to use Jimmy Graham' (who's been on course for a 1000 yard season all year so far).

Some people only ever want to piss and moan. They're not happy unless there's someone to shout vitriol at. Someone to blame for something. Someone to satisfy a need to be negative.

5-2-1... Bring on the Pats.

Largent80

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":ryk8jd3t said:
sdog1981":ryk8jd3t said:

Funny... so last week the offense was going to cost Pete his job.

Now you're resorting to this. 'He only just figured out how to use Jimmy Graham' (who's been on course for a 1000 yard season all year so far).

Some people only ever want to piss and moan. They're not happy unless there's someone to shout vitriol at. Someone to blame for something. Someone to satisfy a need to be negative.

5-2-1... Bring on the Pats.

I hear ya. There is a thread in the shack about Hawk fans being crybabies over officiating, but I see whining after we win games here now.

The only problem I had Monday is a 2nd and 10 run when the run wasn't working and the pass WAS. I just wanted us to keep attacking the weakness.

To win in N.E. we simply MUST do this...attack the weakness. It may take a bit to figure out what that weakness is in the game but it needs to be exploited to the max.

Latest posts