No Love for Bevell Today?

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":35smo8mj said:
sdog1981":35smo8mj said:
3/7 Red Zone Efficiency.

1/3 Goal to go Efficiency.

The Bevell red zone special is a FG. This game should have been over at halftime.

So Russell bears no responsibility for those red zone problems as I explained above?

Should have been two more TD's, and a two pt conversion. Threw wide left on all three throws. That's Bevell's fault, lol.

People want to hate Bevell no matter what. There is no reasoning to these people. They will see what they want to see.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
mistaowen":2lkb86s6 said:
Uncle Si":2lkb86s6 said:
Sgt. Largent":2lkb86s6 said:
Another great game by Bevell, the playcalling had the Patriot's defense on their heels almost the entire game.

As Pete said in his post game presser, with his confidence in the O-line now and Russell's health he took the chains off of Bevell, Russell and the playcalling the past two weeks.............and it's showed in every facet of the offense.

Could be better in the red zone. That will need to improve as the season progresses.

But last night was a wonderful example of how explosive and creative the offense can be when there is a semblance of a running game.

Good stuff.

Only 'complaint' if you want to call it that is the red zone. Settled for way too many FGs down there. I would love to see us scheme Jimmy into single coverage for at least one attempt. He's just to big and athletic not to give him a shot.

Other than that, loved the quick passing and deep shots. I said a few games back we needed to try a few deep shots a game to keep defenses honest, it doesn't hurt we probably have the best deep ball passer in the NFL. Pats game plan was clear from the first series, they'd double Jimmy and make someone like Kearse beat them in single coverage. Lockett and Richardson stepped up, Doug was reliable as always.

Prosise is much quicker to the lane than CM, it was very noticeable. One quick cut and go, none of the dancing then tripping over himself like CM. He has this gliding motion through the blockers, very reminiscent of young Arian Foster. I remember seeing an article that compared them after he was drafted. Plus he is such a huge weapon in the passing game out of the backfield. Not many LBs in the league will be able to stay with him one on one, especially if they can't jam him.

Prosise also initiated the contact against defenders. If they got in his way he did his best to try and plow through them for a few more yards. Every time CM has the ball and he's coming at defenders he just falls over.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'm not a Bevell hater, as I think he's done a wonderful job of bringing Wilson along and has the ability to call devastating play calls out of a balanced offense. He'll uncork the occasional trick play which is typically high percentage and low risk. My only problem is his situational play calling and red zone play calling.

It's possible this is on Wilson, but I find it hard to believe that Wilson will spread the ball all around the field, get to the red zone and tighten up and focus on one or two guys.

Look at all the fade routes that go to Baldwin and Lockett. These guys don't over power CB's, they beat them with speed and quickness, which is partially negated by a condensed field in the red zone. Take away Graham (or Kearse last few years) and your only options are fade routes to 5'10" guys.

I hope we see some more play action roll outs now that Wilson is healthier and our run game actually has a pulse. Pass or run on those and they're impossible to defend.

cymatica

Reaction score
I liked the run scheme last night, seems like they got more creative and ran more power plays than usual.

Also liked seeing rb screens on 1st down, as opposed to 2nd or 3rd and long.

Just seems like they opened up the playbook with plays and formations. Loved the bunch formation with 4 wr's to wilsons left

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
cymatica":75vhy9sq said:
I liked the run scheme last night, seems like they got more creative and ran more power plays than usual.

Also liked seeing rb screens on 1st down, as opposed to 2nd or 3rd and long.

Just seems like they opened up the playbook with plays and formations. Loved the bunch formation with 4 wr's to wilsons left

Cause they did, and Pete admitted as much last night during his presser. He flat out said he's unchained Bevell and Russell the last two weeks now that Russell's healthier and the O-line has their blocking schemes down better...........and you saw the results last night.

O-line was mauling and taking it to the Pat's D-line, Prosise was running confidently through holes and Russell is almost all the way back to being Russell.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Bevell has had two very good games in a row and I'm usually pretty critical of him but he deserves a ton of credit. Like Largent said too we don't know how much is on Pete too.

xgeoff

Reaction score
This guy drives me crazy. He did the same thing last year. He's called some real stinkers and then you look at the game plan for the Patriots game and it was terrific. I think the OL helped A LOT in terms of him being able to stay balanced with his play calls, but ultimately last year the same damn thing happened.

Hey, if he calls games like he did yesterday and like he did in the second half of last year, I'll give him all the credit in the world.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
xgeoff":un8epwek said:
This guy drives me crazy. He did the same thing last year. He's called some real stinkers and then you look at the game plan for the Patriots game and it was terrific. I think the OL helped A LOT in terms of him being able to stay balanced with his play calls, but ultimately last year the same damn thing happened.

Hey, if he calls games like he did yesterday and like he did in the second half of last year, I'll give him all the credit in the world.

So what you're saying is... if the Seahawks are consistently relentlessly good on offense you might be willing to offer some credit?

Sadly it just doesn't work like that. Look at Brady yesterday. Zero TD's... a pick... couldn't get the TD at the end. Look at how the Steelers jump from great to garbage frequently despite all their talent on offense.

You are going to have off-days, or days when the plan doesn't work as hoped or the opponent just plays better, or one or more players miss their assignments or a big injury hurts you.

All you can ask for is an overall quality product. Fielding a top-10 offense per DVOA for four years suggests that's what they've done.

Zorn76

Reaction score
When a thread has to be created to point out somebody's achievements, it sometimes means that there isn't enough of what they're being complimented for, and that's the case here.

He called a great game in New England last night, too. He really did.
The problem is that he has a handful of games like this each season, but then falls asleep too often at the wheeel. The players on offense make him look good much more so than the other way around. That's really what it boils down to here. Pete's loyalty (to a fault at times), will see Darrell remain here for the foreseeable future. But his lack of interviews for a legitimate shot at being a HC elsewhere speaks volumes as well. Plenty of opportunities coming up by season's end, we'll see if he's given any interviews.

Meanwhile, I hope he stays Aggressive. Stick with pass when we're on a roll. Don't be stubborn about forcing balance if it isn't there. Stick with what works. If he remains focused enough, it will go a long way in easing the pressure off our defense.

xgeoff

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":32tcawpj said:
xgeoff":32tcawpj said:

So what you're saying is... if the Seahawks are consistently relentlessly good on offense you might be willing to offer some credit?

Sadly it just doesn't work like that. Look at Brady yesterday. Zero TD's... a pick... couldn't get the TD at the end. Look at how the Steelers jump from great to garbage frequently despite all their talent on offense.

You are going to have off-days, or days when the plan doesn't work as hoped or the opponent just plays better, or one or more players miss their assignments or a big injury hurts you.

All you can ask for is an overall quality product. Fielding a top-10 offense per DVOA for four years suggests that's what they've done.

Nah, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying sometimes you look at Bevell's game plan and you just scratch your head and say WTF? Like against the Rams earlier this year. Look there are plays that you call when you know you're not going to get great protection from your O-line. He didn't have a good gameplan against them.

Against the Patriots, he did. It was not all successful. There was some fizzle down in the red zone. I don't place any blame against Bevell for that because I wasn't scratching my head about the play calls. For better or worse, I feel good when I'm not scratching my head about the play calls. I feel better if I'm focusing on the play of the players and not the validity of the calls.

What I can ask for is a well thought out game plan that puts the guys we have in position to make plays. The first part of last year and this year had a lot of head scratchers, and I think the DVOA would probably show that. But the second half of last year was special, and I'm hoping we repeat that pattern this year.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
xgeoff":3erzaj9v said:
What I can ask for is a well thought out game plan that puts the guys we have in position to make plays. The first part of last year and this year had a lot of head scratchers, and I think the DVOA would probably show that. But the second half of last year was special, and I'm hoping we repeat that pattern this year.

So, every OC should have plays he knows will work against a given D, right? Or at least a "better chance" against certain personnel or that play around the opponent's strengths?

Yet if it were this easy, then every OC should simply pull out the good plays every week, one all the fans agree was "well thought out." Yet nobody, not even the best OCs, can do this consistently since there is always a DC working against them to mitigate his own team's weaknesses.

But then of course, our players make the OC look good right? Oh, wait... that's their job! To execute what is given. If our players execute, they must be elite, right? But if they don't, it's because they're pedestrian and undrafted, or underpaid, playing out of position, etc.

RW had three chances to throw TDs in the RZ last night and failed on each. Not Bevell's fault on any of them, since all could have been thrown better, the receivers were open, and their was no worry of an int by players in front or behind. Those are quality play-calls poorly executed.

The overall Win/Loss column is a better explanation over the long haul of an entire coaching staff's approach, and how the OC fits within a system , not just functioning on his own within a hypothetical vacuum.

mrt144

Reaction score
I am willing to see a million different things on 3rd and short if one of them works.

nash72

Reaction score
Nobody hates Bevell more than me, but he did call a doozy last night.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":16dtfb3h said:
NFSeahawks628":16dtfb3h said:
Sgt. Largent":16dtfb3h said:
Bevell's critics keep telling us he lacks imagination, he's too rigid, he's too predictable, he doesn't use our strengths properly..............well I saw one hell of an offensive game called last night.

Lots of motion to free up Jimmy, quick hits, screens and slants, using Russell's increased health to run a little read on the TD and most importantly with Lockett being healthy going deep again for explosive plays. One of the more complex dynamic play calling schemes of the past couple years.

Why you ask? Cause Pete finally had enough of trying to get the run game going and took the leash off the passing game and let it fly, that's why. Not Bevell, Pete.

He opened it up because Pete directly told him to.

Again you guys are contradicting yourselves.

The one constant is Pete. Pete directed. Pete Decided.

Not Bevell, not Russell..................Pete. Bevell works within the parameters, schemes and plays Pete directs him to run the offense from week to week, quarter to quarter and series to series.

So if you hate Bevell, you hate Pete. Bevell is not some autonomous rogue coordinator running any play he pleases. Not sure why this fact is so hard for some of you to understand.

Bevell as a situational playcaller is awful but the actual plays he draws up are pretty good. I have learned this from Chalk talk a bunch. I am however seeing Petes name here and there and a few times Wilson having to convince them he can do it and to open it up. I wish Wilson would be MORE forceful about it and convince pete to let it fly from now on instead of being ultra conservative so no matter how good our D is we always are in a dog fight every single game because our offense makes THEIR D look all pro

I still think Bevells (or/and Petes) MAJOR weakness is the Redzone. Have we even been top half of the league in the Redzone for Wilsons Entire Career

xgeoff

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":1sc4cbz5 said:
xgeoff":1sc4cbz5 said:

So, every OC should have plays he knows will work against a given D, right? Or at least a "better chance" against certain personnel or that play around the opponent's strengths?

Yet if it were this easy, then every OC should simply pull out the good plays every week, one all the fans agree was "well thought out." Yet nobody, not even the best OCs, can do this consistently since there is always a DC working against them to mitigate his own team's weaknesses.

But then of course, our players make the OC look good right? Oh, wait... that's their job! To execute what is given. If our players execute, they must be elite, right? But if they don't, it's because they're pedestrian and undrafted, or underpaid, playing out of position, etc.

RW had three chances to throw TDs in the RZ last night and failed on each. Not Bevell's fault on any of them, since all could have been thrown better, the receivers were open, and their was no worry of an int by players in front or behind. Those are quality play-calls poorly executed.

The overall Win/Loss column is a better explanation over the long haul of an entire coaching staff's approach, and how the OC fits within a system , not just functioning on his own within a hypothetical vacuum.

I specifically said the red zone struggles were not due to play calling.

And what I am saying is that you have certain play calls and formations that will work better against certain defenses.

For example, if the pass rush is getting to your qb, you may want to use screens to punish their aggressiveness. This isn't special, and it's not hard and other coordinators do this.

So it's not about 'good' plays, it's about appropriate plays. Anyone who's watched even a little football should know this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":1tmr2yaz said:
I still think Bevells (or/and Petes) MAJOR weakness is the Redzone. Have we even been top half of the league in the Redzone for Wilsons Entire Career

We've hovered around #15-20 in the Carroll era, but again that's on everyone involved. Russell's been told don't take chances in the Red Zone, trust your D, take the FG, etc etc.

And you're not saying anything Pete doesn't know, which is why we went out and got Graham. Hasn't worked as well as we'd like, but IMO that chemistry is improving each game.

Here's what we know about Bevell, when given a healthy Russell and at least average O-line, this is a top 5 offense capable of scoring 30+ a game as was proven last year. What else do people want?

Largent80

Reaction score
I think that with RW not being able to run for many weeks our run game has suffered. Teams haven't had to game plan for it, they just key on the RB.

You can easily see he is moving better now and I expect us to pick up the run game as we go forward. Prosise has provided a spark, and here comes Rawls.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
It's funny isn't it... that suddenly with Wilson healthier again the offense is starting to look really good again.

It's as if that was the issue all along...

Funny that.

Largent80

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2zf9glwq said:
It's funny isn't it... that suddenly with Wilson healthier again the offense is starting to look really good again.

It's as if that was the issue all along...

Funny that.

Definitely puts Bevell in the telescope. Somehow he is supposed to come up with a gazzillion ways to make the offense work.

Latest posts