No One Likes Russell Wilson Anymore?

OkieHawk

Reaction score
ctrcat":3mqy8bke said:
OkieHawk":3mqy8bke said:
RW has gone on record saying he would like to own a team someday, which takes a LOT of money. People are then surprised that he wants a large contract with most of it guaranteed, weird.

That statement has always been laughable. Who wouldn't want to own a team?

I wouldn't want to own a team, seems rather hectic to me.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Even if he were to be paid the highest "current" contract out there, he would still make less than many others at his position. For three years he's made less than most backups, while performing better than most. Taking on a high per year base added on to the current contract doesn't change the 4 ultra cheap years and how he will never make as much as lesser QBs have.

Fans will usually side with the team and writers who haven't thought much of Wilson this far will make inane comments like this article.

ctrcat

Reaction score
OkieHawk":17yjg8go said:
ctrcat":17yjg8go said:
OkieHawk":17yjg8go said:
RW has gone on record saying he would like to own a team someday, which takes a LOT of money. People are then surprised that he wants a large contract with most of it guaranteed, weird.

That statement has always been laughable. Who wouldn't want to own a team?

I wouldn't want to own a team, seems rather hectic to me.

Ha. Depends on what kind of owner you would be IMO, hands on or a delegator. Most are cold blooded pricks, but I still doubt most would turn the keys over if given.

Msfann

Reaction score
kobebryant":2x8o9yt0 said:
Business is business. It shouldn't impact anyone's perception of him as a player or citizen.

This! I have no problem with him trying to get paid. I still like Russ just as much as I always have. He hasn't made that much money yet but he has done a LOT of great things in his career so far, I cant blame him for wanting to cash in while things are still going awesome.

hawxfreak

Reaction score
I have watched Paul a's business dealing from time to time and understand one thing
He more so than pete and john will never overspend , which brings me to my next question that I am considering making a new thread about
When does our window close, is it dependant on having an incredible defense or is it the offense, or a complete team effort
Having seen in the last four years what we have all witnessed I would say a complete team effort , but RW brought with him some magic or was it Pete seeing an d evaluating
Oh crap , it's that chicken and the egg thing , again.
Signed , the poster formerly known as the twelfman

Bandwagon Fan since '76

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1flgkpbe said:
Definitely a click bait headline, but there are some truth's to what the author is discussing.

Russell's gone from a rootable underdog, to someone who many perceive to be delusional in thinking he deserves to be the highest paid QB in the league...........which for fans equates to him thinking he IS the best QB in the league.

Throw in a very cliche'd robot speaking half annoying with all the jesus talk polished media persona........and voila, you've got this sort of article.

Personally all I care about is what Russell does on the field, and all the dude does clutch and win.
If they gave him the Contract that he's negotiating for, I'm pretty sure Wilson isn't stupid, and he KNOWS that he'd be the "highest paid", for about 15 Minutes, so I don't buy all the speculative Media crap that is floating around out there.
I believe that Russell Wilson is attempting to get a nice (and well earned) payday but wants more of the money Guaranteed than the front office is willing, or maybe able to give him.
There seems to be a blockage in whatever they are negotiating for, and not knowing ANY of the details, the Media has picked up the nonsense ball, and started running amok with it.
I should be pissed at, or hate on RW for trying to get the best deal he can?, Hell No!

themunn

Reaction score
Furthermore, Wilson has yet to post a 4,000-yard or 30 touchdown pass season as a pro – something that does not bode well for the two-time Pro Bowler in his quest for a record-breaking contract.

Neither has Joe Flacco.
In fact, JF has only one season with over 4,000 combined yards (4,025 last year), and has only thrown more than 25 TDs in a season twice (same as Wilson).

Oh, and despite all of that - Flacco was the highest paid quarterback when he signed his contract. Now he's 5th, just 2 years later.

When Flacco signed his record breaking contract? 9 playoff wins in 6 years. Wilson has 7 in 3.

By every measure, if Flacco is worth his contract (which, in a years time is likely to be the 7th highest behind the 4 he's already behind plus Luck and Wilson), then why shouldn't Wilson?
In 3 years time, Wilson's largest ever contract is likely to be 5th or 6th on the list too.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Read the thread about Wilson wanting *his* guaranteed money to be FULLY guaranteed... no more of the typical annual roster bonus guarantee shortly after the Superbowl... at the team's option.

Apparently, that's the sticking point... which would make Paul Allen put the full amount of the guarantees into an escrow account just as soon as such a contract is signed.

Won't happen.

ctrcat

Reaction score
themunn":19jw8qv3 said:
In 3 years time, Wilson's largest ever contract is likely to be 5th or 6th on the list too.

This has been a constant refrain but I have never been able to figure out who these guys are!!! The 2013 QB draft class on have been a disaster, and who are the older guys out there now that will have restructured or new deals in 3 years time to surpass RW and for what reason? I don't see it at all.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
scutterhawk":35sq7dw5 said:
Sgt. Largent":35sq7dw5 said:
Definitely a click bait headline, but there are some truth's to what the author is discussing.

Russell's gone from a rootable underdog, to someone who many perceive to be delusional in thinking he deserves to be the highest paid QB in the league...........which for fans equates to him thinking he IS the best QB in the league.

Throw in a very cliche'd robot speaking half annoying with all the jesus talk polished media persona........and voila, you've got this sort of article.

Personally all I care about is what Russell does on the field, and all the dude does clutch and win.
If they gave him the Contract that he's negotiating for, I'm pretty sure Wilson isn't stupid, and he KNOWS that he'd be the "highest paid", for about 15 Minutes, so I don't buy all the speculative Media crap that is floating around out there.
I believe that Russell Wilson is attempting to get a nice (and well earned) payday but wants more of the money Guaranteed than the front office is willing, or maybe able to give him.
There seems to be a blockage in whatever they are negotiating for, and not knowing ANY of the details, the Media has picked up the nonsense ball, and started running amok with it.
I should be pissed at, or hate on RW for trying to get the best deal he can?, Hell No!

Depends on what the sticking point is. If the rumors are true and Russell and his agent are taking a hardline stance with wanting the entire contract guaranteed, then I do have a problem with Russell.

No team in the history of football has fully guaranteed a contract that I know of, so if Mark Rodgers thinks he's some maverick agent using Wilson as leverage to be the first to get his client a fully guaranteed deal? Sorry, not on Russell's side anymore.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I've been half way listening to the SportsCenter crew this AM, They seem 50/50 split for/against him getting the "BIG" payday.

I've stayed out of these threads for the most part, too many of them.
IMHO dude should get all we can pay him (without killing "the plan")

BadgerVid

Reaction score
ctrcat":35xcuti1 said:
themunn":35xcuti1 said:

This has been a constant refrain but I have never been able to figure out who these guys are!!! The 2013 QB draft class on have been a disaster, and who are the older guys out there now that will have restructured or new deals in 3 years time to surpass RW and for what reason? I don't see it at all.
The first 2 who come to mind without perusing the list of NFL QB contracts are Luck and Rivers...

Hawks46

Reaction score
StoneCold":14069bt5 said:
hawxfreak":14069bt5 said:
If his aspirations are to be the highest paid player ever then it might be a difficult road back to the sb
If it weren't we would probably already have him extended bcuz he's that good
Thinking about all the monster lineman we could get to keep Tjack from having to scramble could be a scenario that have many wishing it could be , understandably (is that even a word)
I'm pretty sure that Paul , Pete and John aren't about to let one player , no matter who , change the course we are on.
The question is a chicken or the egg scenario with both sides having a valid argument.
My mind is still stuck on the fence on weather to pay him or tag him and let him go
His production has been as good as any if not the best ever
After Pey pey and Tom got big contracts their teams looked bogged down , so their must be something said for low caps and a great team behind a qb but also vice versa , which leads me right back to my ultimate answer
I trust my patron saints of football
Peter , Paul and John

The other side of this coin is, is it true that if they make Russell the highest paid we will never make it to another super bowl? I know the cap considerations have been debated endlessly, but with the multi year contracts we already have in place, the rising cap number I see several more years of the Hawks being very good.

To make him the highest paid is a little less than 23 mil. Would that really be enough to kill our SB chances?

SC

As a general rule, yes it would hurt our chances. It would hurt us being able to keep quality depth unless we can keep drafting at an insane level. So, as long as we stayed very healthy, we would have a great shot at winning. As soon as the injuries mount, then we'd start to fade. Our SB winning year was the year we had the best depth. This year is supposed to equal or transcend that for depth. So we'll see.

As for the 23 mil number, if it didn't cause us to have to jettison quality starters, and we could afford to keep some guys, then I don't think it would hurt us. The weird thing about our situation is that most of our quality starters are locked up for a few years, so working Wilson's number in there is like the final piece of the puzzle. So no, in that case it wouldn't hurt us as bad.

Tical21

Reaction score
I've never thought a lot of what he says off the field is terribly genuine, although he does get a lot of points by the work he does at Children's, and doesn't lose any points by beating women or getting DUI's. He's an overall good dude that may have a bit of a large ego and maybe a little small man's mixed in. If you let contract negotiations change your opinion of an athlete, you're not going to have anybody left to root for. Nor would you appreciate the way your favorite teams bash their players. Most of us would do the same thing. I don't personally think he's worth 25 million per season, but if I was the QB of a team that went to back-to-back Superbowls, and helped a team win their first (the use of the word "I" irked me in his latest interview btw), I might ask for the moon as well.

MVP53

Reaction score
ctrcat":36kicicu said:
OkieHawk":36kicicu said:

That statement has always been laughable. Who wouldn't want to own a team? Which family of the 32 plans on selling, like, ever? And the amount of money/connections/luck/good fortune has been out of grasp for all but two former players, George Halas and Jerry Richardson, who quit football and made his money in the restaurant business, not football.

If RW truly does become the GOAT and parlays that into becoming king of the PNW AND he's lucky as ****, then maybe there's a snowballs chance in **** of him owning a team. Holding out over even 10s of millions isn't even going to get him into the stratosphere, and in fact is likely costing his bottom line in endorsements/public image. JMO.

Agreed, if RW buys a team someday, it will be from money he made from somewhere other than the NFL. He aint buying a team for $125M.

lukerguy

Reaction score
My favorite memory of RW was after the NFCC game last year. Raw unfiltered emotion...i'd love to see more of that from him. I know the brand is important, but most of the all time greats give subtle parts of their personality.

I don't blame Wilson for wanting more money. He's a competitor.

I'm still confused why the perfect guy broke up with his wife right before his mega deal, but that's really not by business. I just hope he truly is a nice guy and not about his image. I'm sure he is.

seahawksTopGear

Reaction score
I believe Willson deserves and will get the title of highest paid QB in the game. It is good for him (obviously), for his agent and for the team. Yes, the team loves to be seen as rewarding their in house talent and a motivated Willson (and the rest of the team that is still on first contract) will be good for the team.

There are a couple of problems, there is no way to pay Willson top dollar until Lucks contract comes out AND we get rid of this pesky 1.5mil 2015 salary. So we wait until he plays out his rookie contract and pay him more than Luck, everybody wins.

There is still going to be a slight problem. What does highest paid in the NFL mean? Is it Rodgers with his highest average per year at 22mil? Maybe it is all about guaranteed money, Rodgers again with 54mil guaranteed. Of course you can look at guaranteed money per year of contract, where Matt Stafford trumps everybody at 13mil guaranteed every year of his contract. Is it the QB with the highest cap hit this year? Drew Brees clocks in at 26mil or the one getting the most money this year? Big Ben clocking at 35mil!

I imagine that Willsons agent is going to want highest to mean at least average per year and guaranteed money, in that case the "rumored" Cam Newton's numbers the team put in front of Willson (5 years 100mil, 65mil guaranteed) is "insultingly low" for Willson, but if Willson plays out this year at 1.5mil and then gets a 4 years 100mil, 65mil guaranteed offer it would happily meet most of the highest paid definitions above. I realize that money wise it makes no sense for him not to sign this year, but I am assuming here he really really wants to be the "best paid". Not many teams are going to be able to put that plus two first round picks on the table.

Before I forget, there is absolutely no cap problems with giving Willson this type of deal. We are in very good shape if he plays this year at 1.5mil and caps keep increasing. What we can't afford is to make him the highest paid QB while tearing his current 1.5mil contract. Luck's last year by comparison will be 16million, they will easily roll that over on a contract that will kill anything we can pay Willson right now.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
MVP53":1mtp2yt9 said:
Agreed, if RW buys a team someday, it will be from money he made from somewhere other than the NFL. He aint buying a team for $125M.

$125M is still close than you and i will ever get. It's also a much better start than $1.5M.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
I don't think people dislike RW so much as they dislike ambiguity and complexity. If RW takes an earlier offer to be one of but not the absolute highest paid QB, then everything is consistent with nearly every contract our top players have been agreeing to thus far. We could talk about how awesome it is that one of our players is becoming filthy rich, how this helps keep future players for a better chance a winning more titles, and how it's completely consistent with our history of paying well but not too well as well as RW's previously expressed desire for multiple trophies. It's been simple, neat, and compromising.

With RW drawing out negotiations, things instead have gotten uncomfortable. Some of us start to reassess what he's about. It raises complicated questions about how small or large of a figure to put on a person and his skills. Basically, there was a trend when it came to the players we want to stay and RW has seemed to be breaking away from this trend. It isn't so much that people are starting to dislike RW as a player or person so much as how his decisions are putting people's hopes for the team in a much more uncomfortable light. This is all occurring during the time of year when hope is supposed to be running at its very highest.

Latest posts