No One Likes Russell Wilson Anymore?

ctrcat

Reaction score
BadgerVid":21ikvis1 said:
ctrcat":21ikvis1 said:
themunn":21ikvis1 said:
In 3 years time, Wilson's largest ever contract is likely to be 5th or 6th on the list too.

This has been a constant refrain but I have never been able to figure out who these guys are!!! The 2013 QB draft class on have been a disaster, and who are the older guys out there now that will have restructured or new deals in 3 years time to surpass RW and for what reason? I don't see it at all.
The first 2 who come to mind without perusing the list of NFL QB contracts are Luck and Rivers...

Fat chance on Rivers, a soon to be immobile 34 year old that's never been to one Super Bowl, much less two with a ring.

bingotown

Reaction score
I'll preface this by saying I haven't read all the posts on this topic or in this thread. I will say I like RW and no matter how much he may change due to $ or fame there will always be a part of me rooting for him. I think most people are taken aback by what is being reported on his contract negotions. This is not the RW we have come to love and respect. It still doesnt take away our SB title. I hope everything works so he can stay in Seattle and leave enough on the table to put some talent around him.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
How could anyone not like Russell Wilson? He's been getting ripped off the last 3 years, gone through a divorce, still recovering after the death of his dad. I don't get it

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
If you really want to win as a QB then you show it by taking a little less money than you might be worth.

If RW really wanted to win football games he would have signed already.

His massive ego has gotten in the way and I hope he gets a chance to play for a team like the Browns.

BadgerVid

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2mfdgryp said:
There's a difference between liking Wilson as a player (and a person!) vs. disagreeing with his decision not to sign an extension.
Especially when you really know nothing about the situation and are assuming based on rumors "reported" by people looking for readers...

ExBassGuide

Reaction score
I am not mad Bro

Would you like to have a raise? Yes but your raise will not be 20 to 40 million dollars. But you need to ask your self "if not Russ, then who?"
If R.W. plays this year with out a new contract and now he has some good targets we could learn more about his passing qualities. If he picks up the passing game and does good. That will add to the pressure on the Hawks to pay him more. We know he is a very good Q.B. but with out WR or TE like Graham we still do not know how good he could really be because the hawks pass less than most of the teams in the NFL. What we do know about Russ. is he is smart and makes great decisions during the game. The hawks are the most explosive (BIG PLAYS) team in the NFL because of R.W. He extends plays or runs down field and that should be credited to R.W. He also knows when to slide. He does not get easily injured. I do not have a problem with the hawks paying him as high as 30mil but I hope they can set it up so it does not hurt the team. R.W. is our best option and I would hate to see him go to another team! Other teams would probably pay him what he is asking for! I think we have the best coach in the NFL and he is great and spotting great skill sets. We could keep bringing in younger players and still get to the S.B. I would love to see the hawks and R.W. get 4 more S.B. wins! It can happen BUT it makes it harder when you have to give up key players to keep a very good Q.B. Russell could make more money on Endorsements than playing the game if he just keeps winning S.B. I think with this team R.W. could be the best of all time if he does not cripple us with a monster contract. In Pete I trust!
I would NOT like to see a franchise tag used on Russell. There is a good chance that it would drive him away!
Seattle Seahawks 14-2 in 2015!
I think most teams in the NFL will go to more dinks and dunks passes to try to beat the ♥SEAHAWKS☺

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":27juwghs said:
scutterhawk":27juwghs said:
Sgt. Largent":27juwghs said:
Definitely a click bait headline, but there are some truth's to what the author is discussing.

Russell's gone from a rootable underdog, to someone who many perceive to be delusional in thinking he deserves to be the highest paid QB in the league...........which for fans equates to him thinking he IS the best QB in the league.

Throw in a very cliche'd robot speaking half annoying with all the jesus talk polished media persona........and voila, you've got this sort of article.

Personally all I care about is what Russell does on the field, and all the dude does clutch and win.
If they gave him the Contract that he's negotiating for, I'm pretty sure Wilson isn't stupid, and he KNOWS that he'd be the "highest paid", for about 15 Minutes, so I don't buy all the speculative Media crap that is floating around out there.
I believe that Russell Wilson is attempting to get a nice (and well earned) payday but wants more of the money Guaranteed than the front office is willing, or maybe able to give him.
There seems to be a blockage in whatever they are negotiating for, and not knowing ANY of the details, the Media has picked up the nonsense ball, and started running amok with it.
I should be pissed at, or hate on RW for trying to get the best deal he can?, Hell No!

Depends on what the sticking point is. If the rumors are true and Russell and his agent are taking a hardline stance with wanting the entire contract guaranteed, then I do have a problem with Russell.

No team in the history of football has fully guaranteed a contract that I know of, so if Mark Rodgers thinks he's some maverick agent using Wilson as leverage to be the first to get his client a fully guaranteed deal? Sorry, not on Russell's side anymore.
I don't know for sure that PA would even consider a contract of that nature, but I'll venture to say, that Wilson wouldn't be able to get that kind of deal anywhere else in the League, though I don't know that it hurts to ask :p

scutterhawk

Reaction score
ExBassGuide":2dtja3o1 said:
I am not mad Bro

He does not get easily injured. I do not have a problem with the hawks paying him as high as 30mil but I hope they can set it up so it does not hurt the team. R.W. is our best option and I would hate to see him go to another team! Other teams would probably pay him what he is asking for! I think we have the best coach in the NFL and he is great and spotting great skill sets. We could keep bringing in younger players and still get to the S.B. I would love to see the hawks and R.W. get 4 more S.B. wins! It can happen BUT it makes it harder when you have to give up key players to keep a very good Q.B. Russell could make more money on Endorsements than playing the game if he just keeps winning S.B. I think with this team R.W. could be the best of all time if he does not cripple us with a monster contract. In Pete I trust!
I would NOT like to see a franchise tag used on Russell. There is a good chance that it would drive him away!
I think most teams in the NFL will go to more dinks and dunks passes to try to beat the ♥SEAHAWKS☺

My only question is, if Pete is so adept at spotting Quarterback talent, why'd he opt. to bring in Charlie Whitehurst, and over pay for Flynn (more in one Year, than RW has been paid for all the time he's been a Seahawk)?
Escape artist and 900 Yard RB/Quarterbacks like Russell Wilson are few and far between.
But, I agree 100 % that if given some great Receiving talent, RW could very well raise the stakes for getting a better contract next Year.
We've seen some of what he could do with decent Receivers like Rice and Tate in his debut as a rookie in his first Season.
In all honesty? we really don't have the total tally on what's being negotiated, and all we have to go on, is conjecture and rumors, and the longer this is on the burner, the more worked up, and pissed off some folks are getting at Russell Wilson, , , Go Figure LOL

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2dpssevh said:
ExBassGuide":2dpssevh said:
I am not mad Bro

He does not get easily injured. I do not have a problem with the hawks paying him as high as 30mil but I hope they can set it up so it does not hurt the team. R.W. is our best option and I would hate to see him go to another team! Other teams would probably pay him what he is asking for! I think we have the best coach in the NFL and he is great and spotting great skill sets. We could keep bringing in younger players and still get to the S.B. I would love to see the hawks and R.W. get 4 more S.B. wins! It can happen BUT it makes it harder when you have to give up key players to keep a very good Q.B. Russell could make more money on Endorsements than playing the game if he just keeps winning S.B. I think with this team R.W. could be the best of all time if he does not cripple us with a monster contract. In Pete I trust!

My only question is, if Pete is so adept at spotting Quarterback talent, why'd he opt. to bring in Charlie Whitehurst, and over pay for Flynn (more in one Year, than RW has been paid for all the time he's been a Seahawk)?
Escape artist and 900 Yard RB/Quarterbacks like Russell Wilson are few and far between.
But, I agree 100 % that if given some great Receiving talent, RW could very well raise the stakes for getting a better contract next Year.
We've seen some of what he could do with decent Receivers like Rice and Tate in his debut as a rookie in his first Season.
In all honesty? we really don't have the total tally on what's being negotiated, and all we have to go on, is conjecture and rumors, and the longer this is on the burner, the more worked up, and pissed off some folks are getting at Russell Wilson, , , Go Figure LOL

Not to mention they didn't know Sherman, Maxwell and Lane were good until they replace their fellow injured teammates during their first start.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
We shouldn't break the bank for RW. JS/PC need to have the guts to walk away, if needs be. Make no mistake about it, we got to the SB because of our depth first. Yes, RW played a part, a big part. but if we didn't have quality players around him, we wouldn't be there. I love RW, but I'm not willing to break this team because of his excessive demands. There is no freaking way I would make RW the highest paid player or even QB in the league. Absolutely no way.

Sac

Reaction score
Dude, breaking the bank for Russ now won't matter in two years. The cap is going to jump big time this year and the next and even if we give RW 25/Yr it'll be a bargain in two years.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":39zl9efv said:
Dude, breaking the bank for Russ now won't matter in two years. The cap is going to jump big time this year and the next and even if we give RW 25/Yr it'll be a bargain in two years.

For it to be a bargain there has to be other QBs whose salaries will be leapfrogging his in the next two years, and unless he signs before Luck, those guys don't really exist, IMO. The only guy who even seems to have a shot at it right now is Bridgewater, and even for him it's way too early to make that argument.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Popeyejones":6loe7qg4 said:
SacHawk2.0":6loe7qg4 said:

For it to be a bargain there has to be other QBs whose salaries will be leapfrogging his in the next two years, and unless he signs before Luck, those guys don't really exist, IMO. The only guy who even seems to have a shot at it right now is Bridgewater, and even for him it's way too early to make that argument.

Good point, Popeye. The current crop of young QBs have not been overly impressive. Bridgewater is essentially under contract for another four years with the fifth-year option. By that time, if he continues to progress, he will probably seek a contract at around the same rate as Wilson. Other than Luck, there aren't many QBs who are good enough to surpass Wilson in the next three years.

Derek Carr may sign an extension before Bridgewater. Despite having pathetic receiving options, Carr was much more impressive for the Raiders than I was anticipating. Particularly in the way he dissected that Niner defense in Week 10: 254 yards, 78.6%, 9.07 yards per attempt, three TDs, no INTs, for a 140.2 QB rating. Hell, his 21 TDs as a rookie matched Kaepernick's career high.

Another essential trait of a great QB is the ability to play well in the 4th Quarter when the game is on the line, i.e. within seven points. In those situations, Carr's QB rating was slightly higher than even Wilson's (81.9 vs. 80.9), while Kapernick's QB rating in those situations has been the worst in the league (57.5). If he continues to progress, I would say Carr will have a good chance to match or exceed the future contract threshold in three years.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ Good points. Forgot about Carr and and Bridgewater's fifth year option.

Still really early for both of them though, and I don't think a Josh Freeman trajectory is out of the realm of possiblity for either of them.

What Carr did to the 9ers was as much combination of their defense being decimated and the team basically having given up at that point as it was Carr having a great game, and I think "within 7 points in the 4th quarter" slices up statistics way too much (I'd guess this fluctuates wildly from year to year), but overall agreed that they're the two guys younger than Wilson who have shown any promise to this point.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Popeyejones":ky516x5x said:
^^^ Good points. Forgot about Carr and and Bridgewater's fifth year option.

Still really early for both of them though, and I don't think a Josh Freeman trajectory is out of the realm of possiblity for either of them.

What Carr did to the 9ers was as much combination of their defense being decimated and the team basically having given up at that point as it was Carr having a great game, and I think "within 7 points in the 4th quarter" slices up statistics way too much (I'd guess this fluctuates wildly from year to year), but overall agreed that they're the two guys younger than Wilson who have shown any promise to this point.

You could also compare overall 4th Quarter QB rating, so as not to limit it to games within reach:

Wilson's generally clutch play in the 4th Quarter: 89.9 QB rating.

Carr's pretty impressive play in the 4th Quarter: 82.7 QB rating -- actually slightly better than the other stat.

Kaepernick's league-worst play in the 4th Quarter: 60.3 QB rating.

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
I would make RW the highest paid QB right now, even if it is just $1 more than anyone and structure the deal so it is as friendly to the team as possible. After his deal is done this will cause all the other teams that are going to sign their QB's in the near future (that they think are better than Wilson) to even higher figures. Then Wilson will be around the 4th or 5th highest paid.

Now to the article-
"Seattle had the No. 1 ranked rushing attack in the league, and their defense has historically been excellent over the last three seasons. "

Yet the dink who wrote this magically forgot to mention that Wilson had 849 yards and was the 16th leading rusher last year which also helped them be the #1 rushing team. RW had the highest yards per rush of the top 40 rushers which help Seattle be the highest yard per rushing attempt team.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Is there a person on this board or anywhere else for that matter who wouldn't like to be the highest paid player in their profession? I see people chastising RW for saying he wants to be the highest paid player. I'd be willing to bet that there isn't one player in the league who wouldn't want to be the highest paid player. RW has said on numerous occasions he would like to be the best that's ever played. How is him saying he would like to be the highest paid player any different? His goals and aspirations seem to be that of greatness at every level. It's one of the reasons he has the "it" factor. I would be more worried if he stated that he would settle for mediocrity and mediocre, all be it, large sums of money.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think some of you are missing the point on why the negotiations are still going on and Russell hasn't signed, guaranteed money.

Most of us, including Pete and John are probably OK with Russell being the highest paid QB in the league at around 25M a year, but in order to do that so it doesn't cripple our cap for the next four years the contract has to be structured as every other deal is structured............with a mix of guaranteed, non-guaranteed and bonus money. THIS is the sticking point right now.

I love Russell, but if he truly believes in himself so much, why is he allowing his agent to draw a line in the sand with wanting a fully guaranteed contract? Seems that if Russell has 100% faith in his ability as he keeps repeating over and over...............then he's sign a more traditional contract and assume he's going to be around in four years to collect every dime of it.

SeahawkPQ

Reaction score
It is a pretty sad reflection on the state of our nation and of this board that negotiating for your fair market value is seen as incongruent with moral integrity. Who exactly is Russell taking this money from? Because of the cap, Russell's pay comes out of the pockets of current and future teammates, as does any player's money. Now what if an extra 2 million in Russell's pocket goes back into the community through one of his organizations, versus that same 2 million being used to purchase a couple Lamborghinis in other player's pocket. Whether or not he gives the money away is irrelevant, the point is that this negotiation is completely neutral from a moral standpoint.

One thing is for sure, this has certainly brought out a lot of ugliness and stupidity from the Seattle fan base.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
The people who think a 26-year old can do no wrong, while negotiating the first major employment contract in his life, are just as simple minded as the dolts saying "F Russell Wilson."