Noah Fant Signs (2 years, $21M)

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
This doesn't bode too well for signing Leonard Williams... because John has typically focused first on signing our own UFAs starting with the largest salary/cap space commitment. Williams is going to take roughly twice what we just committed to Fant.

It doesn't rule it out... but it doesn't look all that great right now.
Well…..

vonstout

Reaction score
Parkinson got a little more total but for 3 years. I think that might have been the better value.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Biting my tongue.

Paying Fant more than Brooks got certainly is a choice

It seems like the league evaluators have a slightly lower view of Brooks than the Seahawks film guys do. Feels like Griff and those guys like Brooks more than the league did. No disrespect to those guys because they’re awesome but it’s interesting. Hoping they have a plan for Queen in place or something because losing brooks doesn’t seem good

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
His four TEs barely combined for 800 yards last season. Hope he likes to use them more than that.
To be fair he had 3 stud WR to feed. Westover had a solid season considering those 3 ate a ton of targets.
Now if Grubb’s offense can convert 3rd downs at a significantly higher rate Fant can get 4-7 targets a game and be a legit contributor.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
My speculation is I’m thinking they wanted to retain Parkinson but he chose to go home and play for LA. Then they had to backtrack for Fant, evidence, being just a 2 year deal. And with them having no leverage with a small market of available TEs, Fant’s agent probably got another $5m more than the Seahawks probably wanted to offer.

But Fant is talented enough, solid enough all around and young enough where if Grubb and Co. have a plan to utilize him effectively he’d be worth the contract.

Last edited:

xray

Reaction score
So fun to watch fan reactions. So excited to get rid of Pete and get Macdonald, then Grubb. Now we're questioning their decisions and haven't even seen a game let alone a preseason.
^
Guilty till proven innocent around here gawdammit !! ;)

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
It's kind of underwhelming signing your guys that didn't light the world on fire when there were here, tbh. So unless they pull out a ton more draft picks this year, it's going to be an uneasy feeling going into next year.
I don’t feel that statement is as dire as you make it sound. 1. I thought Fant at best from some cap happy team might have got closer to $15m per, I wouldn’t want the Seahawks to pay that. 2. Fant is also talented enough in the right situation, used correctly and effectively with enough targets, to cement himself as a top 10 TE.

With that said it depends on if Grubb has a plan, he had so many talented WRs at his disposal and didn’t vacate his running approach that TEs weren’t a focal point. It feels that way here at first but who knows, projecting utilization and weighted worth is one of the hardest thing to settle on in the Arm Chair GM world. I do think the Seahawks might have prioritized Parkinson more and had to overpay/match with Fant it being a small pool TE market. However, it also feels like Fant was top 2-3 in available TEs and Seahawks also had to pay the price to not pigeon hole themselves into forcing a TE in the draft.

DirectMessage

Reaction score
I don’t feel that statement is as dire as you make it sound. 1. I thought Fant at best from some cap happy team might have got closer to $15m per, I wouldn’t want the Seahawks to pay that. 2. Fant is also talented enough in the right situation, used correctly and effectively with enough targets, to cement himself as a top 10 TE.

With that said it depends on if Grubb has a plan, he had so many talented WRs at his disposal and didn’t vacate his running approach that TEs weren’t a focal point. It feels that way here at first but who knows, projecting utilization and weighted worth is one of the hardest thing to settle on in the Arm Chair GM world. I do think the Seahawks might have prioritized Parkinson more and had to overpay/match with Fant it being a small pool TE market. However, it also feels like Fant was top 2-3 in available TEs and Seahawks also had to pay the price to not pigeon hole themselves into forcing a TE in the draft.
Don't mean to sound dire. It's not a backbreaker resigning Fant, or anything. Guy really hasn't stood out in 2 different organizations? Maybe he'll have a breakout year this year?