Noah Fant Signs (2 years, $21M)

ivotuk

Reaction score
When you have Rome Odunze et al, why would you throw a lot to TEs? Leave them in to protect your QB, and block for your 1,200 yard running back.

DirectMessage

Reaction score
Or you could let other people fan how they want, Direct?
😂. I was kind of confused when he asked how I got all that from the Fant signing. Salk said it best this morning "it's like your parents taking items from around the house and wrapping them up for you Christmas gifts". Rough translation. Underwhelming for me, but then again I'm more into going after those diamonds in the rough. Day two, today? Or maybe I'm the kid in the back who likes to eat crayons. 🤣

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Jack Westover was clutch on possession plays in Grub's offense. I actually hope we grab him at the bottom of the draft or UDFA. Could double as a fullback as well.

DirectMessage

Reaction score
Jack Westover was clutch on possession plays in Grub's offense. I actually hope we grab him at the bottom of the draft or UDFA. Could double as a fullback as well.
Right!?!? He could bring in some of these guys through the draft. Locked up and cheap. JS is supposed to be the draft whisperer. IDK, maybe something interesting will happen today. I don't really like the Lockett deal, tbh. I want the Hawks to get out of these marque players builds and get into the new wave "system" teams.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
So we had ~ 55 Million Cap Space - 21 Big Cat - 10 Fant = 24 Million left, we need 2 LB, 2 OG, 1 Safety Starter out of Draft and FA... Puhhh i dont see us taking Queen...
I believe that you're overlooking the fact that NFL contracts with signing bonuses typically result in the first year's cap hit being significantly less that the average salary per year when the deal is first announced...

the reason being the signing bonus is spread out evenly (prorated) over the duration of the contract. The result is... the cap hit in the first year (or two) is significantly less than the announced average per year.

In Williams case, the signing bonus is being reported as $22.5M, which will be prorated over three years at $7.5M/year. In all likelihood, Williams will receive the $22.5M before the season starts... which means that his 2024 salary can be (theoretically) the league minimum for his tenure in the league (could be more but likely not much more).

Let's assume that his year-one salary is $3.0M... which could make his year-one cap hit only $10.5M (3 + 7.5 = 10.5).

In this example, Williams is paid $25.M in year one, but his 2024 cap hit is only $10.5M.

The details will be posted fairly soon on OTC.com. Let's see how close I got.

morgulon1

Reaction score
How is signing a DL with 5.5 sacks and a 30th ranked TE with 32 catches exciting? Edit: apparently someone posted how little Grubb uses TE's at UW?
Ok that's fine. You have every right to be pessimistic regarding personal moves or lack thereof . I'm not saying Fant is the difference but I think he's solid. I have hope. I'm glad they're not signing crazy free agent deals .

They're free agents for a reason .

nanomoz

Reaction score
Man, I'd LOVE a real fullback again.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Grubb (UW): 815 yards between four tight ends in 15 games. One of those tight ends had just two receptions for a total of 10 yards.

Waldron (Seahawks): 833 yards between four tight ends in 17 games. One of those tight ends had just one reception for 10 yards.
We will be fine.. Thanks for the TE imfo though.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Dissly can throw a decent block, at least.

I just don't see the upside here. I could be proven wrong, I guess
Both Parkinson and Dissley were poor blockers I like Tip Reiman out of Illinois in the draft he is very Gronk like. IMO he just wasn’t used as a pass receiver in college who he is very athletic for his size

olyfan63

Reaction score
Have you seen the deals league wide yesterday? This isn't even close to inflated for a hell of a TE. Enjoy your anger.
I took that post as sarcasm, that JS was responsible for all the big deals, not Pete. JS thus far is choosing to NOT overpay a bunch of middle-of-the-pack guys as if they were elite. IMO it was Pete who chose to overpay Dissly $8M/per for the Seahawks historical "Outside Tackle" role, for example.

$10M/per for Fant is within reason. Williams' contract seems reasonable for the production he brings and the prospects for him to continue doing so. We didn't pursue Queen to the point of overpaying. We allowed Damien Lewis to sign for big numbers elsewhere. Seems like JS is more value-oriented and less shiny-object-infatuated than Pete was.

Jville

Reaction score

TE Brady Russell, an exclusive rights free agent, fits that description. Good footwork and short area quickness. Former 4th round pick of the Lions. I thought he stood out on Seahawks Special Teams last year.

Jville

Reaction score
I’ve liked Fant since he’s been here. We were definitely too talented at TE for any one to shine too bright, but I’m glad they decided on one to keep and kept the contract semi-reasonable.

Overall I’m mostly glad to see they had their eye on our own talent and aren’t trying to just replace everyone in year one

They had 3 different, yet complimentary, tight ends. They kept the move tight end that can line up in the slot or split out wide. Giving them the ability to field 11 personnel but split Fant out wide from that personnel group. To my way of thinking Fant is primarily a jumbo receiver that can line up in multiple positions. Effective at slam, chip and downfield blocking. But, not so much when lined up on the end of the line like Dissly. No matter. I'd like to see the return of the 6th lineman from time to time. Might even see the return of the tackle eligible pass play. That's always fun to watch.

kidhawk

Reaction score
They had 3 different, yet complimentary, tight ends. They kept the move tight end that can line up in the slot or split out wide. Giving them the ability to field 11 personnel but split Fant out wide from that personnel group. To my way of thinking Fant is primarily a jumbo receiver that can line up in multiple positions. Effective at slam, chip and downfield blocking. But, not so much when lined up on the end of the line like Dissly. No matter. I'd like to see the return of the 6th lineman from time to time. Might even see the return of the tackle eligible pass play. That's always fun to watch.
I can’t disagree and I liked what Dissly gave us but for what you describe we can likely pick up someone ore specific tk that role for a lower price or even possibly through UDFA Fant gives us a talent that is harder to find this why they likely chose him over the others and gave him the contract.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I can’t disagree and I liked what Dissly gave us but for what you describe we can likely pick up someone ore specific tk that role for a lower price or even possibly through UDFA Fant gives us a talent that is harder to find this why they likely chose him over the others and gave him the contract.
Former Seahawks Outside Tackle Mike Tice DISApproves of this message ;)
Somebody once referred to the way the Seahawks historically have used TEs, since the ChuckAKnox days, as "Outside Tackle". Mike Tice was one outstanding example of that position.
Splitting an outside tackle out wide... now that's a bad idea, just wrong from a Seahawks TE tradition standpoint.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I believe that you're overlooking the fact that NFL contracts with signing bonuses typically result in the first year's cap hit being significantly less that the average salary per year when the deal is first announced...

the reason being the signing bonus is spread out evenly (prorated) over the duration of the contract. The result is... the cap hit in the first year (or two) is significantly less than the announced average per year.

In Williams case, the signing bonus is being reported as $22.5M, which will be prorated over three years at $7.5M/year. In all likelihood, Williams will receive the $22.5M before the season starts... which means that his 2024 salary can be (theoretically) the league minimum for his tenure in the league (could be more but likely not much more).

Let's assume that his year-one salary is $3.0M... which could make his year-one cap hit only $10.5M (3 + 7.5 = 10.5).

In this example, Williams is paid $25.M in year one, but his 2024 cap hit is only $10.5M.

The details will be posted fairly soon on OTC.com. Let's see how close I got.
Nailed it... Williams 2024 cap hit is only $10.4M.