Noah Fant Signs (2 years, $21M)

kidhawk

Reaction score
I’ve liked Fant since he’s been here. We were definitely too talented at TE for any one to shine too bright, but I’m glad they decided on one to keep and kept the contract semi-reasonable.

Overall I’m mostly glad to see they had their eye on our own talent and aren’t trying to just replace everyone in year one

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Don't mean to sound dire. It's not a backbreaker resigning Fant, or anything. Guy really hasn't stood out in 2 different organizations? Maybe he'll have a breakout year this year?
The Broncos have been a dumpster fire and Carroll's teams have always undervalued the TE position as a receiver. Immediately after signing here, Zach Miller went from being one of the best receiving TE's in the NFL to nothing but an extra blocker. The same thing happened to Jimmy Graham, he spent a lot of time being used as an inline blocker despite being one of the worst blocking TE's in the NFL. Under Waldron we had similar things happen. We had three really capable TE's. When the Seahawks employed the 12 personal and 13 personal sets, the offense seemed to have the most success. Despite this almost always rarely used these sets.

It's been a common theme across a few coordinators at this point and several QB's.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Fant's measurables are solid. He should be producing top 10 - 12 TE-type numbers in catches, yards and TDs. But he has to be featured to a degree to achieve those numbers.

I'd like to see Grubb focus the offense on Walker/Charbs, Jaxon and Fant... throwing in an occasional 20+yard pass to DK.

DirectMessage

Reaction score
The Broncos have been a dumpster fire and Carroll's teams have always undervalued the TE position as a receiver. Immediately after signing here, Zach Miller went from being one of the best receiving TE's in the NFL to nothing but an extra blocker. The same thing happened to Jimmy Graham, he spent a lot of time being used as an inline blocker despite being one of the worst blocking TE's in the NFL. Under Waldron we had similar things happen. We had three really capable TE's. When the Seahawks employed the 12 personal and 13 personal sets, the offense seemed to have the most success. Despite this almost always rarely used these sets.

It's been a common theme across a few coordinators at this point and several QB's.
Maybe, maybe not. I hope Fant tears it up next year, and is that guy you go to when the game is on the line. I just would like to know that JS can forget his history and move on. He almost seems like he has to prove none of his past moves were bad or mistakes. I could be wrong, but every move should be under scrutiny going forward.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
It seems like the league evaluators have a slightly lower view of Brooks than the Seahawks film guys do. Feels like Griff and those guys like Brooks more than the league did. No disrespect to those guys because they’re awesome but it’s interesting. Hoping they have a plan for Queen in place or something because losing brooks doesn’t seem good
By Seahawks film guys, you mean random Internet YouTube and blog hobos right?

chris98251

Reaction score
Ever since we got Miller we have had good TE's but could never ever use them correctly, Graham, Miller should have been league leading at their positions here, they were before they came, Miller was a All Pro I think. But this was a TE graveyard for careers under Pete, other teams TE's exploited us and looked like Kellen Winslow against us. Pete could not use them on Offense or defend them on Defense. Actually trying to remember a TE from USC when Pete was there that was highly rated, I can't remember one. Lineman Chck, Safeties Check, RB's Check, QB's Check, WR's Check, no TE's.

FlyingGunHawk

Reaction score
Looking back, he was kinda my favorite part of watching the offense last season. I like our TE's. They can make some plays.

Germanhawk7

Reaction score
So we had ~ 55 Million Cap Space - 21 Big Cat - 10 Fant = 24 Million left, we need 2 LB, 2 OG, 1 Safety Starter out of Draft and FA... Puhhh i dont see us taking Queen...

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Grubb likes to use his TE's and he chose this one.I'm good with it.

His four TEs barely combined for 800 yards last season. Hope he likes to use them more than that.

What did Waldrons have?

Grubb (UW): 815 yards between four tight ends in 15 games. One of those tight ends had just two receptions for a total of 10 yards.

Waldron (Seahawks): 833 yards between four tight ends in 17 games. One of those tight ends had just one reception for 10 yards.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He's a hell of a player if used correctly. Maybe a bit of an overpay, but much needed after losing Uncle Will and Parkinson. And with the contracts we all saw yesterday? Meh, this will seem like a bargain if he balls out. He's been massively underused. Hopefully that changes.

morgulon1

Reaction score
It's kind of underwhelming signing your guys that didn't light the world on fire when there were here, tbh. So unless they pull out a ton more draft picks this year, it's going to be an uneasy feeling going into next year.
You got all that from Seattle signing Noah Fant?

I think the free agency signing period begins Wednesday and hopefully JS keeps a level head and makes smart moves and doesn't saddle the team with expensive free agency contracts.

Fant was a good player before he got to Seattle , he'll emerge now that a new staff is in place.

DirectMessage

Reaction score
You got all that from Seattle signing Noah Fant?

I think the free agency signing period begins Wednesday and hopefully JS keeps a level head and makes smart moves and doesn't saddle the team with expensive free agency contracts.

Fant was a good player before he got to Seattle , he'll emerge now that a new staff is in place.
How is signing a DL with 5.5 sacks and a 30th ranked TE with 32 catches exciting? Edit: apparently someone posted how little Grubb uses TE's at UW?