Norv Turner Resigns From Minnesota. Seattle Should Pay Attn.

mikeak

Reaction score
Sando tweeted this before Saints

#Seahawks have played 3 teams with legit edge rushers: MIA (scored 12 pts), STL (3 pts) and AZ (6 pts). SEA scored 90 in its other 3 games.

So we may look ok on paper but not in reality

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Threedee":2pcfrx1l said:
HawkFan72":2pcfrx1l said:
Hasselbeck":2pcfrx1l said:
I really want to know what amazing play caller we have waiting in the wings that will just flip a magic switch and correct all the offensive woes.

Seriously. Would people rather Tom Cable call all the plays? Cause that's what we would get.
Can't we just fire Bevell, and replace him with Turner, or Trestman, or Roman, or anyone...?

First of all Trestman is absolutely awful.

Second of all. Norv is not any better.

Third of all, you don't hire a brand new OC with an entirely different offense in Week 9. :lol:

We're stuck with Bevell until the offseason, and if they want to entertain a change then.. fine.. more power to Pete for doing that. But for THIS season, Darrell Bevell is the teams offensive coordinator.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Viking offense allready alot better without old man Norv

Doing a lot of up temp quick plays

Bradford 8/12 70 yards in the first quarter and they are leading in TOP

scutterhawk

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":zxtfna59 said:
OkieHawk":zxtfna59 said:
CodeWarrior":zxtfna59 said:
I read that second article as well. The author ends it by effectively saying that if anyone has a better way to evaluate pass blocking to please contact him.

And in 13 years no better method has been passed along...

Last year with a healthy Wilson we were leading the league in sacks. How is it this year with a hobbled Russ?

Of course there's a better metric for measuring pass blocking performance, the author just doesn't want to do it. A reasonable pass blocking metric of evaluation would have to include time until pressure, percent of pressures (and sacks) per dropback, percentage of dropbacks in which an unchecked rusher was allowed, pocket size (width/depth, effectively how much space the QB has to operate) per dropback, and percentage of passess batted due to rusher penetration/lane clogging. It would be a complicated metric but attempting to prop up adjusted sack rate as the lone evaluative factor is essentially worthless.

To answer your question: the offense is playing poorly so far this year as well. Fewer sacks or not this offense doesn't scare anyone. Or if you think it does I'd be interested to hear where you think this offense shows potency.

Agreed ^
Never mind the drop off in "Sacks" I'm curious as to how getting your QB get all beat to hell is better Pass Pro.
Without a threatening scrambler (RW), our Running Game has ALSO been in decline.
Having to just get rid of the ball quicker to avoid sacks doesn't give your O-Line a big thumbs up.
Protection Time, and a Pocket is relevant here....Or it should be when evaluating O-Line performances.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Muscle Ed trying his best to replicate his shit performance in the Seahawk game against the Saints except this time its slanted against the Vikings.....

These flags are so IFFY its rediculous. Patterson gets called for blocking 2 yards past LOS on a screen but their guy just no chips and runs into the CB 10 yards down the field no call lol. And called a defensive penalty on a short third down throw that would of been a punt where the CB had his hand on the WR for maybe half a sec

CPHawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2ybs5y43 said:
Hasselbeck":2ybs5y43 said:
I really want to know what amazing play caller we have waiting in the wings that will just flip a magic switch and correct all the offensive woes.

Seriously. Would people rather Tom Cable call all the plays? Cause that's what we would get.

Tom Cable already has to much say on the O. He's litterly involved in everything, and I blame him as much as Bevell, for the state of our O.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
That offense was MUCH better without Norv calling it

Bradford 31/40 273 yards 1TD 0INT

Offense had 337 yards and 33 min of TOP

And then they blow a 3 point lead in 20 seconds lmao

Rob12

Reaction score
I'm not the biggest Bevell fan but it's hard to argue with results. This year has been rough, but there's variables there like injuries that play a huge factor. I know it's a results based business and that is precisely why Bevell is keeping his job. He's proven that he can manage a great offense.

If the offense is still sputtering like this in two or three weeks (as the offense gets healthier), then this will be a valid conversation.

What does boggle my mind is how Seattle's two minute offense looks like a juggernaut but struggles to move the ball and sustain drives during the rest of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob12

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1upeoy6m said:
Norv left voluntarily because they have no offensive tackles and no running game. With Peterson and both starting tackles out indefinitely, there's really no hope for that offense. Norv probably didn't want to be the irrational fall-guy for their fanbase, like another successful OC (in the Northwest) who's dealing with the same problems that are out of his control.

Zimmer was taken by surprise and sad to see Norv leave.

It's beyond me why, if this is true, anyone would want Turner as their OC. Things get rough and you bail? No thanks.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":1e1prtdc said:
I'm excited to see what the offense does as Russ, Doug, Tyler, and Rawls get healthy.

The online is young and missing on execution.

Good things are on the way, please stand by.

So as long as a star-studded lineup is executing to perfection, then Bevell is a good OC?

I call bull. Give me a guy who can succeed amidst adversity.

The injuries have only exposed Bevell for what he is: a middle of the road coordinator who rode Favre's coattails out of Minnesota and Marshawn and Russ's coattails here in Seattle.

If we should take a cue from any team it should be the Bills and sack him.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Bevell has been and will be the best fit for the success of the Seahawks. Hands down.

People who say a coach succeeds only because of the talent of his team are real head-scratchers. I think they said that about Phil Jackson for the first 5 of his 9 championships.

Rob12

Reaction score
OkieHawk":1nafek5p said:
CodeWarrior":1nafek5p said:
To answer your question: the offense is playing poorly so far this year as well. Fewer sacks or not this offense doesn't scare anyone. Or if you think it does I'd be interested to hear where you think this offense shows potency.

Oh, the offense is putrid. I'm merely saying that I feel that the OL isn't as bad as we all think for pass pro is all. We used to be the exact opposite and I'm wondering how and when the shift happened.

I don't trust a site that says our OL is in the upper third of pass protecting lines in the league. The eye test tells me that's just not true.

Russell Wilson is getting the ball out of his hands in 2.4 seconds on average. That's lightning quick (second fastest in the NFL). He's made HUGE strides in this area this season but it hasn't translated into success - yet. He's also getting hit on roughly 50 percent of his drop backs, which is the highest mark in the NFL. That doesn't tell me that our pass protection has gotten better. And now, our QB has suffered a pec injury that to me was a clear consequence of bringing Sowell here. Chandler Jones completely manhandled him on that play and put a vicious hit on Russ.

I don't know what the answer is. I know I was pining for Joe Thomas earlier, but realized that's not the answer. This organization simply needs to draft better. I think grabbing Ifedi was a good start. Moving Britt to C was a great call as well. Glowinski has been unspectacular, but he seems solid enough. Sowell and Gilliam, well... I think you would be hard pressed to find two starting tackles in the league that are worse.

The OL continues to be the unit that holds this team back the most. And I'm usually pretty quiet about it because I know the philosophy here. But it sure seems like it's at least beginning to catch up with us in a negative way.

Latest posts