Notes vs Denver.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1g298be9 said:
MontanaHawk05":1g298be9 said:
Scottemojo":1g298be9 said:
The 3rd and goal sack absolutely was on Russ. He held the ball and didn't climb a pocket. Okung ends up looking terrible, but he blocked the play correctly.

Gee, where are all the OL haters running out to scream and stamp about how you're making excuses for Cable?

Oh...right...they probably realize that you know what you're talking about, so they're actually willing to reexamine their assumptions.

Funny how that works.

Good writeup, Scotte. I'd also agree with Alexander that Matthews' ability to win a contested ball might actually encourage Russ to throw more. He was certainly willing in the SB.
Be nice.

No :p

...oh, all right.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
Scottemojo":rih0o5ui said:
MontanaHawk05":rih0o5ui said:
Scottemojo":rih0o5ui said:
The 3rd and goal sack absolutely was on Russ. He held the ball and didn't climb a pocket. Okung ends up looking terrible, but he blocked the play correctly.

Gee, where are all the OL haters running out to scream and stamp about how you're making excuses for Cable?

Oh...right...they probably realize that you know what you're talking about, so they're actually willing to reexamine their assumptions.

Funny how that works.

Good writeup, Scotte. I'd also agree with Alexander that Matthews' ability to win a contested ball might actually encourage Russ to throw more. He was certainly willing in the SB.
Be nice. We don't need to create any more tension than this board already carries.

Besides, the haters will be here eventually. They are just hung over right now.

To be fair and honest, Russ could have helped his own cause. First time he's been tackled in 6+ months.

To be fair and honest, the OLine needs to improve it's pass-pro in a big way. First time this group has been without Max in several years. He ran the show.

Both sides need improving, to be sure. It sucks to call four pass plays and only attempt one actual pass.

Sac

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2vp12s80 said:
Scottemojo":2vp12s80 said:
MontanaHawk05":2vp12s80 said:
Scottemojo":2vp12s80 said:

Funny how that works.

Be nice.

No :p

...oh, all right.

Good.

:D :thirishdrinkers:

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3q2zd3is said:
Cartire":3q2zd3is said:
Disagree on Smith and Tye being better runners then Turbin. Smith had a nice series where he had the ball every play. And Rawls had some nice runs and a good screen for a TD, but they were also going against Denvers worst at that point. Let turbin run against the 3's and lets compare them then. Let smith and tye run against the 1's like turbin did, and then we'll see.

For the most part, turbin was able to still push for positive gains even when hit behind the line. I like that. Anytime a RB can get you 2-3 yards on a busted play, he's done good.
More dangerous runners would be more accurate on my part.

My 2 cents. I thought Smith was the best looking RB in this particular game. Seems kind of tall for a RB (6'3"!), but I like that. Reminds me a little of Brandon Jacobs. I would really like to see him get some opportunities in conventional run situations. It seemed like most of his touches were on screens, which he ran well. I didn't like that he sacrificed yards to avoid contact sometimes, but when he did bury his shoulder he looked good.

Rawls looked really good on his TD and had a few other nifty runs. But he kind of gives me CFL vibes in terms of his overall talent level. Turf monster got to him a lot.

In general, there was a lot of diving to the ground by Seahawks ballcarriers in this game. It really highlighted to me how much our run game system depends on Marshawn's balance and resiliency.

seahawks187

Reaction score
Both Lockett and Clark looked good .. Lockett was fun to watch

The o line was horrible. None of the qbs were comfortable, made it so they couldn't even give all the wrs a chance to make some plays.

Denver WRs were getting open pretty easily.. Made brock osweiler look like he could beat out manning for the job. Although the defense did a good job holding them to FGs.

Overall it is what it is. A lot of young guys that need to continue to grow... If our oline plays anywhere close to what they did last night the Rams dline is going to dominate us

GG .. I'm over preseason already lol

AgentDib

Reaction score
I just finished the broadcast and agree with pretty much everything. I would have liked to see Lockett get some time in the passing game but between him and Clark this is looking like a really great draft.

It will be interesting to see if Smith or Rawls get any first half work next week. Of course, if Rawls and Daniels make the team then we really need to go after a McNulty.

netskier

Reaction score
If Tyler Lockett is a lock, and I think he is, then I think preseason games are better spent testing those who are not. I wasn't too see him too, but I wasn't the coaches to make good decisions when more.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3vb6p5he said:
Keavon Milton came in at LG and was immediately beaten. Poor TJ must have had flashbacks to the 2011 preseason. But TJ is not without fault, he too failed to climb a pocket that was clean in front of him on third and long and held the ball too long. Sack.

I think there was some confusion between Garry Gilliam and Keavon Milton on that first play. If you watch it closely, you see that the defensive end beats Gilliam off the ball and splits the gap between Gilliam/Milton. Gilliam gives up on the play, while Milton runs after him and successfully hits him in the shoulder to push him out of the pocket, allowing Jackson to get the ball off.

The QB hit on 2nd down and the sack on the 3rd down were mostly a result of Jesse Davis's matador blocking. I wasn't impressed with Davis. I did see some hopeful signs from Milton, who played much more physically than Bailey and earned my respect.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1jwkm27u said:

It was actually Sweezy who was beaten badly on that play on a swim move to the outside. Russell had less than two seconds before that rusher was barreling down on him. Sweezy also could have been called for the hold for grabbing jersey after he was he beaten.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
hawknation2015":k1xln70f said:
Scottemojo":k1xln70f said:

It was actually Sweezy who was beaten badly on that play on a swim move to the outside. Russell had less than two seconds before that rusher was barreling down on him. Sweezy also could have been called for the hold for grabbing jersey after he was he beaten.
Just based on my memory of the play, you are not far off.

But the pocket in front of Russ was vacant. If he climbs the pocket, he is free to pass or run. He didn't. As far as two seconds, I didn't time it.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3hyjfox6 said:
Scottemojo":3hyjfox6 said:

A pass on the goal line isn't usually a play where you hold the ball for more than three or four seconds. Russ was partially responsible there.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Scottemojo":25fzx7uq said:
hawknation2015":25fzx7uq said:
Scottemojo":25fzx7uq said:

But the pocket in front of Russ was vacant. If he climbs the pocket, he is free to pass or run. He didn't. As far as two seconds, I didn't time it.

I think the reason why he didn't "climb the pocket" was because Okung had allowed the pocket to collapse. Shane Ray was right in Russell's face, and Jackson was to his right, within a couple seconds.

You're right that Okung didn't block that play terribly, but he did allow the pocket to collapse. In watching the replay of the national broadcast, the announcers were so focused on Ray (whom Okung was blocking) that they totally missed Jackson (whom Sweezy was supposed to be blocking) actually record the sack.

Overall, it's a tough gig for a QB when he feels the pressure coming in both directions.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2b3rv8qb said:
Bailey might be the best pass blocking prospect at LG we have. That ain't good. He got worked, with Okung actually blocking two guys, Bailey still whiffed.

At this point, I can no longer agree with the sentiment that Bailey is our best pass blocking prospect at LG.

Keavon Milton did not allow a pressure, sack, or QB hit last night. As a former TE, he displayed good athleticism. But more importantly, he was playing hard and physical during his snaps. I think he has a chance to be pretty good.

Mark Glowinski did allow a pressure that ended with Tarvaris Jackson landing awkwardly on Garry Gilliam. However, that was only after Jackson had at least four seconds of clean pocket to get the ball off. Glowinski showed solid power/athleticism. He didn't allow another pressure on his 32 snaps and was knocking guys back in the run game. It's too bad he was only playing RG in this game.

seanoob

Reaction score
Scottemojo":31pjiwx0 said:
hawknation2015":31pjiwx0 said:
Scottemojo":31pjiwx0 said:

I went back to watch this play and it does look like Russ attempts to climb the pocket and retreats behind Okung before taking a awkward looking sack.

Did Russell wait too long to climb the pocket? To the untrained eye, it looks like the pocket is getting collapsed very quickly.

Just trying to get a little insight. Thanks!

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
seanoob":3vebnex3 said:
Scottemojo":3vebnex3 said:
hawknation2015":3vebnex3 said:
Scottemojo":3vebnex3 said:

I went back to watch this play and it does look like Russ attempts to climb the pocket and retreats behind Okung before taking a awkward looking sack.

Did Russell wait too long to climb the pocket? To the untrained eye, it looks like the pocket is getting collapsed very quickly.

Just trying to get a little insight. Thanks!

Maybe it is. It is simply my opinion that Russ took that sack, maybe I am wrong.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Natethegreat":ok31q72x said:
Your desire to blame Russel for poor offensive line play is really old and quite frankly ridiculous. Even Pete said the line had to improve and quickly. The Denver dline had free run on Russ from the get go. At least one man on our Oline let someone blow right by them nearly every pass play. Especially early on when our starters were out there.

Agreed but some will always blame Russ for the oline play. The olien could play horrible all game, like they did, and if certain people feel if Russ does one thing wrong all game that makes the oline look bad then the whole problem is Russ.
Okung looked bad because he was bad, all night.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
hawknation2015":apu6wqra said:
Scottemojo":apu6wqra said:
Bailey might be the best pass blocking prospect at LG we have. That ain't good. He got worked, with Okung actually blocking two guys, Bailey still whiffed.

At this point, I can no longer agree with the sentiment that Bailey is our best pass blocking prospect at LG.

Keavon Milton did not allow a pressure, sack, or QB hit last night. As a former TE, he displayed good athleticism. But more importantly, he was playing hard and physical during his snaps. I think he has a chance to be pretty good.

Mark Glowinski did allow a pressure that ended with Tarvaris Jackson landing awkwardly on Garry Gilliam. However, that was only after Jackson had at least four seconds of clean pocket to get the ball off. Glowinski showed solid power/athleticism. He didn't allow another pressure on his 32 snaps and was knocking guys back in the run game. It's too bad he was only playing RG in this game.
Do you mean the Keavon Milton, 66, that whiffed on a double team with Okung @2:17 of the 1st QTR, resulting in a pressure of TJ, and an ugly jump pass, in about 2 seconds? I don't know who got the blame for it, but the dude whiffed.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Anthony!":18tkfzcy said:
Natethegreat":18tkfzcy said:
Your desire to blame Russel for poor offensive line play is really old and quite frankly ridiculous. Even Pete said the line had to improve and quickly. The Denver dline had free run on Russ from the get go. At least one man on our Oline let someone blow right by them nearly every pass play. Especially early on when our starters were out there.

Agreed but some will always blame Russ for the oline play. The olien could play horrible all game, like they did, and if certain people feel if Russ does one thing wrong all game that makes the oline look bad then the whole problem is Russ.
Okung looked bad because he was bad, all night.

Okung only allowed one pressure last night and had some great blocks in the run game. As Scotte explained in his OP, that play wasn't really Okung's fault. It was Sweezy who totally whiffed on his block and committed a hold in the process.

ringless

Reaction score
Obviously there is going to be no better test for your O-line than week 1.

The Seahawks are clearly a team with very few weaknesses but that one is glaring. I really think it could be the reason why the Seahawks don't make it back to the Super Bowl this year. I know the Cardinals have had some great Defenses (Not on that level) and the O-line just killed any shot at winning the games we had to. Luckily you guys have a QB with one of the most brilliant spin moves in football that can make big plays for nothing to compensate for that weakness.

Obviously you guys still are the best in the division until proven otherwise.

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3drfc2j6 said:
Sarlacc83":3drfc2j6 said:
RE: the offensive line, I agree about the youth, and both the biggest reason for hope and the coincidentally the biggest concern is going to be that whoever our Center is will put the game together. Getting everyone on the same page was Unger's oft underappreciated gift, and we need our new centers to replace that ability as best they can. Without getting all those line calls correct, it won't matter how fundamentally sound the OL is.
I will admit to underappreciating Unger's communication skills. And fearing their loss the second I heard about the trade.
While that is great, over the last two season's, Unger played the equivalent of ONE. Gotta have someone there you can count on every game. The line-calls will come with experience.