Notes vs Denver.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Fade":27zisqii said:
To clarify I am paraphrasing/parsing Pete. He didn't say that exactly word for word.

Parsing him further I think Alvin Bailey is out of a job. He mentioned with the first unit that the interior didn't play well.

Still, even paraphrased, that's not a ringing endorsement of anything. Makes next game all the more important if they didn't really see what they wanted to see in order to evaluate guys.

Smellyman

Reaction score
hawknation2015":23jdqdlg said:
Anthony!":23jdqdlg said:
Natethegreat":23jdqdlg said:
Your desire to blame Russel for poor offensive line play is really old and quite frankly ridiculous. Even Pete said the line had to improve and quickly. The Denver dline had free run on Russ from the get go. At least one man on our Oline let someone blow right by them nearly every pass play. Especially early on when our starters were out there.

Agreed but some will always blame Russ for the oline play. The olien could play horrible all game, like they did, and if certain people feel if Russ does one thing wrong all game that makes the oline look bad then the whole problem is Russ.
Okung looked bad because he was bad, all night.

Okung only allowed one pressure last night and had some great blocks in the run game. As Scotte explained in his OP, that play wasn't really Okung's fault. It was Sweezy who totally whiffed on his block and committed a hold in the process.

Yup. Okung is not the issue. He is BY FAR the best olineman on the team

two dog

Reaction score
Many thanks to the OP for an insightful write-up. When observing fine points
you indeed do have the MOJO.

I thought Tye Smith had his moments both ways and is a suspect. Was very
disappointed that Mohammed Seisay got the groin injury right out of the gate.
Good things said about him in camp and he has had some experience in
real, by God, NFL games.

Does anyone know the extent and expected down time of his injury ?

kf3339

Reaction score
I don't know about some of you, but it sure seems sick to me that we still have to talk about O-Line problems again this year. You would think at some point PC or even Paul Allen would start to question the reason for this consistent weakness year in and year out.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
kf3339":15vui6kz said:
I don't know about some of you, but it sure seems sick to me that we still have to talk about O-Line problems again this year. You would think at some point PC or even Paul Allen would start to question the reason for this consistent weakness year in and year out.
You're exactly right.
We're not even seeing baby steps of progress in pass protection.
People are expecting that Russell Wilson should just stand in the pocket behind the "Run First" O-line.
I think Russell Wilson is being asked to mask a lot of O-line deficiencies.
Russell "Run First" Wilson....... oh, and while your at it, use one eye to find your open Receiver, and the other wary eye to spot the Defender that is closing the gap.

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
Great analysis

Would it be possible to maybe wait for a few more pre-season games before making definitive and declarative evaluations of the offensive line?

There will likely be no massive changes to the OL position group before the start of the season - we have the group we are "going to war with". I do not see Evan Mathis as an option at this point - nor is there any other available veteran that would make sense for Seattle to pick up now.

Lets give it a little time. I personally will not be worried until the first quarter of the first official game September 13th. Sure, it is fun discussing the details, but there is a LOT of pre-season football left in front of us yet.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Spleenhawk2.0":2a3ffnk9 said:
Great analysis

Would it be possible to maybe wait for a few more pre-season games before making definitive and declarative evaluations of the offensive line?

There will likely be no massive changes to the OL position group before the start of the season - we have the group we are "going to war with". I do not see Evan Mathis as an option at this point - nor is there any other available veteran that would make sense for Seattle to pick up now.

Lets give it a little time. I personally will not be worried until the first quarter of the first official game September 13th. Sure, it is fun discussing the details, but there is a LOT of pre-season football left in front of us yet.

Absolutely. However we've been waiting to see improvement across OL for the past 4-5 years and it's been the weakest, or one of the weakest, areas of the team each year. This isn't something that has popped up after one season or game, it's been consistent over the past few years. They've been able to overcome this in the past but doesn't mean it's still not a sore spot and needs improvement.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I got to listen to about 10 minutes of the game first quarter and it was snowy. I was not impressed with my situation. That being said...THANK YOU Scottee for putting this together. I really really appreciate it. I also needed it as I did not take the 2 mins of time to set my recorder to record the game. Too little time.

Again....THANKS.
Den

AgentDib

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2lhi3xxg said:
However we've been waiting to see improvement across OL for the past 4-5 years and it's been the weakest, or one of the weakest, areas of the team each year.
You're always going to have a weakest area of the team and the lack of investment in the offensive line from '12 to '14 ended up paying off for us the last two seasons.

We have been investing into it recently, however, and have added a bunch of young pieces: Britt, Gilliam, Glow, Poole, Sokoli, Nowak, Davis, Schwenke, etc. They didn't look ready in preseason game 1 but consider that the line is currently in process of being shuffled around with zero consistency and relatively little experience. It's reasonable to think we will see improvement as many of them double their experience next week and as we start to narrow on a starting five that can build chemistry with each other.

StoneCold

Reaction score
I expect them to get better over the next few games. I mean, we have Britt, Sweezy and Okung returning. LJP appears to be winning the center job, and he knows our system. And we have a slimmed down Bailey at LG who also knows our system. If either of those two guys get beat out by rookies, I'll consider that an upgrade and feel pretty confident we'll be OK.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
ringless":27yrk95t said:
Obviously there is going to be no better test for your O-line than week 1.

The Seahawks are clearly a team with very few weaknesses but that one is glaring. I really think it could be the reason why the Seahawks don't make it back to the Super Bowl this year. I know the Cardinals have had some great Defenses (Not on that level) and the O-line just killed any shot at winning the games we had to. Luckily you guys have a QB with one of the most brilliant spin moves in football that can make big plays for nothing to compensate for that weakness.

Obviously you guys still are the best in the division until proven otherwise.
I feel the same way. Oddly, going into 2013 I actually guaranteed to everyone I talked to about it, that the Seahawks would win the Super Bowl that year. The next year I felt like I couldn't put my finger on it. yeah, they'd probably go, but something was going to happen...

this year? Greatest defensive performance in NFL history. Greatest defense of all time. But the offense has a glaring weakness that will cause that defense to have to make exceptional stands against all odds. Will they win it all? Something tells me no, we'll remember this team as the great defense that got wasted. Because of this instinct, this premonition I have had, I fear for Russell Wilson.