Notes vs Denver.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Cartire":vushz1ih said:
Anthony!":vushz1ih said:
Cartire":vushz1ih said:
Russell cant climb the pocket.

I thought people would know this by now. He is only 5'10". If he climbs to much, his vision is completely blocked. He only climbs to escape.

ahh ahh no he has and can climb the pocket, but usually there is no place to climb to.

Citation needed

go look at game tape he has done it before when there is some place to climb that is which is rare

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Cartire":3eetepzc said:
Anthony!":3eetepzc said:
Cartire":3eetepzc said:

I thought people would know this by now. He is only 5'10". If he climbs to much, his vision is completely blocked. He only climbs to escape.

ahh ahh no he has and can climb the pocket, but usually there is no place to climb to.

Citation needed

Wilson's preference for going backwards to elude the pressure goes back to his college days. I don't know why going forward would affect his vision, but I do think going forward makes it more difficult to get outside to scramble.

TerribleBonyBlacklab.0.gif

Anthony!

Reaction score
DavidSeven":33fbhwv2 said:
The handwringing over o-line play in years past has often been ridiculous. I've always been with you there. Historically, a lot of that has been Russ's own doing, and it's only been really bad when the key guys were hurt.

I think we saw something different yesterday, though. In terms of longterm prospects, I agree it's way too soon to write anyone off. For 2015, however, it's hard for me to believe the pass-pro situation isn't Threat Level Midnight. At least when Sweezy was coming up, he was doing it around Okung (Pro-Bowl), Unger (All-Pro) and Breno (Certified Mauler). Yeah, those guys got hurt, but at least there was always the potential for a solid pro o-line to be available. And for the most part, they played the important games. What I see now: huge question marks at starting LG, C and RT; good players, but not all-pros, at LT and RG. Even if these guys play at their ceiling, we're talking about a pretty mediocre situation. If they get hurt or underperform? It's a wrap. Really the only hope here (for 2015) is that Nowak comes in and somehow changes the dynamic of the whole group. Doesn't seem that likely to me. I'm sitting here with thoughts of how good KJ Wright's $5M cap hit might've looked on someone like Mathis or, hell, Max Unger instead.

Separate note, agree on Clark. Always thought Clark was going to be Year 1 player. Agree with kearly that he may not be a stat stuffer (though I wouldn't even put that past him at this point), but he's going to ball and it's going to show up on screen.

I agree with most, except the mostly Wilsons own doing and have shown the facts and stats to support that. However I do agree with everything else.

Jville

Reaction score
Scottemojo":noptkdut said:
...... (one thing I will say in defense of the line, what looked like Bronco's running loose was usually one blown assignment, not all 5 guys sucking simultaneously) ........

An encouraging note for many of us cognizant of position theory and chemistry. Film study should facilitate improved consistency of execution. The Bronco game was just the first of four full contact opportunities. I enjoy these annual building processes. Plenty of teaching points recorded on video this week with more to follow.

Go Hawks!

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
It may seem like I knock Wilson for holding the ball.

He does, and I am not. It is the wellspring of his greatness. His worst plays, and many of his best, are when he forces the defense to break down by holding the ball. One has only to watch the NFCCG vs the Niners to see both good and bad examples of what happens when he holds the ball. He got Seattle back into the game on a play where he held the ball for an eternity and then hit Baldwin way down the field.

His holding the ball is why I have always thought his best NFL comp was Roethilisberger. Who also will hold the ball as long as possible to get a defensive breakdown.

But I would also like to see Russell learn to use a pocket much as Brees had to learn to use a pocket. I think it is the next, and sole remaining, step in his growth.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
good write up

Dion Bailey played pretty good so did Ty Smith. Frank Clark is an absolute monster.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
EastCoastHawksFan":3cojb6aq said:
good write up

Dion Bailey played pretty good so did Ty Smith. Frank Clark is an absolute monster.
I liked what I saw as far as Bailey hitting, but I also thought our schemes were plainly vanilla zones. I think him a little too slight to keep up that style of play at his size.

Tye showed some press talent.

Frank Clark is my next jersey.

kearly

Reaction score
Cartire":16trfbtc said:

Exactly.

In Russell's defense, our interior pass protection is pretty bad, so stepping up and trusting the interior pocket is often a bad idea. When the first pressure arrives, it's usually the beginning of a cave in. And so, appropriately, Russell often just takes off running in those situations. His rushing for 850 yards last year had a lot to do with that.

It's probably not a coincidence either that Wilson's top focus this offseason was improving as a runner.

I'd like to see Wilson step up and use the pocket more, but first the front office needs to fortify his interior protection. Drew Brees enjoyed some massive investments on the interior of his OL.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Scottemojo":wb8d035w said:
It may seem like I knock Wilson for holding the ball.

He does, and I am not. It is the wellspring of his greatness. His worst plays, and many of his best, are when he forces the defense to break down by holding the ball. One has only to watch the NFCCG vs the Niners to see both good and bad examples of what happens when he holds the ball. He got Seattle back into the game on a play where he held the ball for an eternity and then hit Baldwin way down the field.

His holding the ball is why I have always thought his best NFL comp was Roethilisberger. Who also will hold the ball as long as possible to get a defensive breakdown.

But I would also like to see Russell learn to use a pocket much as Brees had to learn to use a pocket. I think it is the next, and sole remaining, step in his growth.

HMm add tot hat are plays are usually big ones which take longer to developer and I can agree with everything you said

mikeak

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":xc6v32e6 said:
Scottemojo":xc6v32e6 said:
The 3rd and goal sack absolutely was on Russ. He held the ball and didn't climb a pocket. Okung ends up looking terrible, but he blocked the play correctly.

Gee, where are all the OL haters running out to scream and stamp about how you're making excuses for Cable?

Oh...right...they probably realize that you know what you're talking about, so they're actually willing to reexamine their assumptions.

Funny how that works.

Good writeup, Scotte. I'd also agree with Alexander that Matthews' ability to win a contested ball might actually encourage Russ to throw more. He was certainly willing in the SB.

It is actually possible for the O-line in general not being very good and Russell making mistakes on plays. They are not mutually exclusive

Was the O-line good yesterday - No

Does RW hold the ball to long sometimes - Yes

scutterhawk

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":1bev50ex said:
netskier":1bev50ex said:
If Tyler Lockett is a lock, and I think he is, then I think preseason games are better spent testing those who are not. I wasn't too see him too, but I wasn't the coaches to make good decisions when more.

Translation, please?
What for you don't absorb?, if I'm sporting a buzz, I get shoes for my lawn mower bag. LOLOLOL.

mikeak

Reaction score
netskier":1zdil60j said:
If Tyler Lockett is a lock, and I think he is, then I think preseason games are better spent testing those who are not. I wasn't too see him too, but I wasn't the coaches to make good decisions when more.

The other reason for pre-season is for guys to learn and improve. This is a Rookie - he needs to learn and I rather have him figure it out in pre-season than in the regular season

scutterhawk

Reaction score
mikeak":1lxcfxvx said:
MontanaHawk05":1lxcfxvx said:
Scottemojo":1lxcfxvx said:
The 3rd and goal sack absolutely was on Russ. He held the ball and didn't climb a pocket. Okung ends up looking terrible, but he blocked the play correctly.

Gee, where are all the OL haters running out to scream and stamp about how you're making excuses for Cable?

Oh...right...they probably realize that you know what you're talking about, so they're actually willing to reexamine their assumptions.

Funny how that works.

Good writeup, Scotte. I'd also agree with Alexander that Matthews' ability to win a contested ball might actually encourage Russ to throw more. He was certainly willing in the SB.

It is actually possible for the O-line in general not being very good and Russell making mistakes on plays. They are not mutually exclusive

Was the O-line good yesterday - No

Does RW hold the ball to long sometimes - Yes
Yeah, I think Russ was expecting a little more than the 2.34 Seconds before Von Miller was hugging him.
The O-line is a work in progress, with almost no continuity.
I think Cable has his work cut out for him ,and a lot of evaluating to do, and what he HAS to work with? is some pretty raw talent, so with that in mind, I wasn't expecting any Pro Bowl stand outs, so with that in mind going in...I wasn't disappointed.

sutz

Reaction score
Saying Wilson might be at fault or partially at fault in one or two plays hardly exonerates the O-line in what was a pretty badly blocked game overall.

Certainly doesn't seem to me to justify 2 pages of back and forth. But I guess that's just me.

:229031_shrug:

Fade

Reaction score
The run blocking was horrible yesterday too. explain that. Pete said in his presser they couldn't even evaluate the runningbacks performances because it was so bad.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
hawknation2015":p6ghrb55 said:
Some people like to discuss the intricacies of the game, beyond just saying "the line sucks."

:roll:
I think this is an important detail. A player or two can make a mistake on a few plays that gets applied to the group effort for the whole night. That gets under my skin. If 4 of the 5 make their block, take the time to figure out who boned the play and be specific. Nobody is blaming Jimmy Graham for McCoy's drops, right? But they are part of the same group. But the line gets treated like a single entity.

Fade

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":10zu0ww6 said:
Fade":10zu0ww6 said:
The run blocking was horrible yesterday too. explain that. Pete said in his presser they couldn't even evaluate the runningbacks performances because it was so bad.
friday-damn-gif_large.gif

To clarify I am paraphrasing/parsing Pete. He didn't say that exactly word for word.

Parsing him further I think Alvin Bailey is out of a job. He mentioned with the first unit that the interior didn't play well.