Number of times sacked

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Credit some of that improved run blocking to Will Tukuafu, who finished with a +1.8 overall (+1.8 run blocking).

As far as pass pro goes, Justin Britt, J.R. Sweezy, and Garry Gilliam each allowed four QB hurries. While Britt and Gilliam salvaged their grades with some good run blocking, Sweezy did not. This was Sweezy’s worst overall graded game (-5.8 ) since the first game of his rookie season.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
I get the rage toward Bailey, but on at least one play it seemed he dropped and set in a way that indicated he expected someone else on his right, too, or perhaps for Sweezy to pull or something. I think it has more to do with lack of reps and not communicating than anything else.

The fact is, we've seen Bailey play effectively in games. Perhaps given more reps in practice and a commitment to let him focus on a position (and I don't care if its LG or RT), he can be effective. He can't be worse than Britt or Gilliam. Those two need to learn their positions in practice, not live games.

Hawks46

Reaction score
davidonmi":1lgrh2eu said:
it's sort of a misleading stat because a lot of the sacks are inconsequential 1-3 yard losses.

That said Sweezy and the rotation at RT got worked today

Yea I agree, and I don't know why they call some of these sacks. When the QB pulls the ball down, tucks it like a RB and starts running, then gets tackled behind the LOS, it should be a run for a loss, not a sack.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
MysterMatt":1jnrl4wu said:
I get the rage toward Bailey, but on at least one play it seemed he dropped and set in a way that indicated he expected someone else on his right, too, or perhaps for Sweezy to pull or something. I think it has more to do with lack of reps and not communicating than anything else.

The fact is, we've seen Bailey play effectively in games. Perhaps given more reps in practice and a commitment to let him focus on a position (and I don't care if its LG or RT), he can be effective. He can't be worse than Britt or Gilliam. Those two need to learn their positions in practice, not live games.

100% agree with this. There are too many OL projects starting that should be learning their positions in practice and not during games. If the Seahawks were playing a team that didn't have their DL in shambles, they would have gotten mauled yesterday. Even at that, the 49ers still got 6 sacks. That's unacceptable. I believe this was Bailey's first game action at RT, he is going to be a bit rusty and primarily played the left side of the line (subbing for Carp and Okung), the past couple years, not RT. Nowak hasn't been all that great either, usually spends most of his time on his butt than blocking. Russell Wilson can't step up in the pocket because usually Britt/Nowak/Sweezy are getting smoked so there's no pocket to step up to.

RW92

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":xm1rkgh9 said:
Britt can't play. Nothing else to say.

He gets spun around so many times. If you look carefully there are many times that his back is towards the defender and he ends up trying to shield the pass rusher with the back of his arms. He's just not strong enough, bottom line. And if Pete doesn't put an extra body on Hardy next week he'll end up killing Russ.

iigakusei

Reaction score
We can only hope for incremental marginal improvement each game this year....not much else we can do. Pretty obvious the backups suck as well. I also like Tukuafu so much better than Coleman at FB.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
RW92":3tluai0m said:
CodeWarrior":3tluai0m said:

He gets spun around so many times. If you look carefully there are many times that his back is towards the defender and he ends up trying to shield the pass rusher with the back of his arms. He's just not strong enough, bottom line. And if Pete doesn't put an extra body on Hardy next week he'll end up killing Russ.
you-re-dumb-o.gif

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":12b8bp69 said:
seahawkfreak":12b8bp69 said:
hawks85":12b8bp69 said:
CodeWarrior":12b8bp69 said:
amen brother. :pukeface:
He can't even say he's a good run blocker.

OH MY GOD!!! Britt had a +1.5 grade in Pro Football Focus with a plus 3 in run blocking. :pukeface:

So you're saying Britt played well?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
The Dirty Truth":3gm5uhj9 said:
You can't keep losing OL every year.

I beg to differ with you, the Seahawks have been doing it pretty often, eh? :lol:

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Nowak had another solid game in pass pro. Other than a bad game against Cincinnati, he has been probably our most consistent lineman in pass pro. It was cool to see Britt and Okung opening up holes for Marshawn. Little by little, I feel the line is starting to become adequate.

blkhwk

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":11vap6db said:
Our linemen are much too eager to get to the second level. Britt and Sweezy are primary offenders.

This is spot on, and when they are on the backside, they try and cut everyone and it looks like the rest of the NFL is onto the whole backside cutblock. Defensive players are getting their hands ready and the cut is ineffective. This line looks like it needs to go back to HS "count off blocking".

chris98251

Reaction score
Well I think part of the issue is we have a jack of all trades master of none mentality when it comes to our line. Our guys are flipped around so much that they make Pancakes look bad lazy.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
hawks85":3papfajn said:
CodeWarrior":3papfajn said:
amen brother. :pukeface:

He's better than Sweezy. Or at least that's what it seems like. I seem to be cursing Sweezy's name way more often than Britt's.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
It should be noted that sack yards are subtracted from net passing yards. Thus if RW is sacked for only 31.5 yards per game on average, over 16 games that totals 500 net passing yards lost. IIRC the sack yards years ago used to be shown as negative rushing #'s, but I think it got changed to reflect against passing yards so the "pocket" passers didn't end up with negative rushing totals, anyone else remember how lost yards have been historically treated?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Britt is coming off his best game as a guard this season. Allowed a few pressures, but they weren't totally egregious and he made up for it with his work in the run game.

Latest posts