O-Line, Back to the drawing board

StoneCold

Reaction score
Which Oline is it going to be? The Eagles game Oline I'm ok with, Bucs game not so much. So up and donw it's hard to tell. I need to see more. Looking forward to seeing how we do against the Panters

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Largent80":3h7f2uji said:
How can the Cowpies be squarely in the middle of that graph with 3 1st rounders on that line?

Look at how Dallas structured the OL contracts. They have Martin on his rookie deal, then gave new contracts to Smith and Frederick but those don't really escalate until next year.

Smith's cap hit this year is $6.8M. Next year that jumps to $15.8M. Frederick counts $2.185M this year compared to $14.8M next year.

Wow, Dallas will have the highest paid line in the history of the league next year or when/if they give Martin a new deal. They'll be able to get away with it because they'll have Prescott on his rookie contract.

**A $14.8M cap hit for a center is nuts.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":1gxsyw9w said:
andyh64000":1gxsyw9w said:
Largent80":1gxsyw9w said:
mikehawks":1gxsyw9w said:
The Offensive problem is a direct result of overpaying Russel Wilson. It's not a popular view, but I was dead set against the signing of Wilson. Should of let him walk, put in Archer, or other average NFL QB, and took our chances.

Wow.....just wow.

+1
+2
+3...Did this guy not watch all the games we would have absolutely lost if not for wilson keeping us alive by converting a third down or getting a scrambling touchdown late in the 4th? This post is insane.

Seymour

Reaction score
Largent80":vogx8epm said:
^ You DO realize that it isn't that simple don't you?

Drafting tackles that are any good requires a draft pick that you only get by losing a lot the year before, is that what you want?

Like it or not, a team simply can't draft tackles and win, and have a good team all the time, the salary cap, and the way the draft is set up will not allow it.

Generally true but often overstated. These guys are all top 10 tackles....

Joe Staley -- #28 overall
Donald Penn – undrafted
Ryan Schraeder--undrafted

Crizilla

Reaction score
OpHawk":3ukea5p5 said:
mikehawks":3ukea5p5 said:
The Offensive problem is a direct result of overpaying Russel Wilson. It's not a popular view, but I was dead set against the signing of Wilson. Should of let him walk, put in Archer, or other average NFL QB, and took our chances. Would of loved to see the Offensive line built up. Marshawn Lynch was more important than Wilson, but Wilson gets the money.

The key reasons why the Seahawks won the Superbowl was great defense, underpaid QB, excellent running back, and average offensive line.

2016 Seahawks have an overworked (excellent) defense, overpaid QB, a mix of injured running backs, and one of the worst offensive lines in the league.

Time to trade Wilson and go back to what works. The game was about as bad as the Rams game. Bad!

Probably the dumbest post I have read on this site.

he's right in terms of our keys to winning the superbowl. Sounds spot on to me, however it's still possible to get at least an average line again in the next year or 2 (but hopefully this year).

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
If you think Wilson is overpaid you've lost your marbles. The QB is the engine that makes that car go. Try running a team without one. No need to wait, just go buy some Browns gear. Or Texans, then you can REALLY complain about having an overpaid QB.

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":1qy1f8bo said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/hwkbgr/status/803044361776824320[/tweet]
Wow thats crazy! That is a biiiiiigggggg difference seeing it charted like that! Thanks for the post!

Alexander

Reaction score
andyh64000":2b9bhuq5 said:
Did anyone think the o-line had smaller splits yesterday? I thought they did and that it might be to try to cover for Hunt.

I didn't notice this, but it might be worth checking out. It true, it would (partially) explain why the tackles struggled so much to protect the edge in pass pro. It would also suggest they really need Britt back at center this week, with Carolina's fierce interior DL coming to town.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Largent80":2orq7bt7 said:
What can you expect?.....3 rookies starting and Glowinski looking like a rookie. Gilliam is so bad he gets yanked in favor of Sowell.......Poor Russ is going to need a week to rehab his body.

I was wrong about this team being ready for a championship with this line in place.
'Seahawks' Brad Sowell to replace Garry Gilliam at right tackle'
http://m.seattlepi.com/sports/football/ ... 645364.php

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
jdemps":2soud5nu said:
LeftHandSmoke":2soud5nu said:
Does Gill have experience at (blocking) TE for the Hawks?

No, Gilliam only excels as a pass catching TE.
(See, NFC Championship Game)
That's right, thanks.

Was guessing he was a decent enough blocker, if he had played TE.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
If you'all don't think this is the drawing board with our VERY inexpensive OLine you are missing out undrstanding this was an executive decision based upon the belief that eventually some of these guys could play well. Mean while during the transition they could be paid way less than the league average.

The OLine is presently quite inconsistent and green and raw. Sometimes you think they look to be improving, and then you have a game like Tampa. I have faith that the coaches will eventually sort this hot mess out.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2u01qv0r said:
If you'all don't think this is the drawing board with our VERY inexpensive OLine you are missing out undrstanding this was an executive decision based upon the belief that eventually some of these guys could play well. Mean while during the transition they could be paid way less than the league average.

The OLine is presently quite inconsistent and green and raw. Sometimes you think they look to be improving, and then you have a game like Tampa. I have faith that the coaches will eventually sort this hot mess out.
It's not so much the very inexpensive that matters, as it is the very inexperienced. Different greens.

I have faith too but it's getting late in the season and RW took more vicious hits on Sunday, at a time when he had finally looked to be turning a corner for the home stretch.

rjdriver

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":14c0wd75 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/hwkbgr/status/803044361776824320[/tweet]

Wow.

Thanks for posting. I knew we didn't spend much on the O-Line, but a picture is worth a thousand words and this really puts things in perspective.

rjdriver

Reaction score
mikehawks":xs5cqbkm said:
The Offensive problem is a direct result of overpaying Russel Wilson. It's not a popular view, but I was dead set against the signing of Wilson. Should of let him walk, put in Archer, or other average NFL QB, and took our chances. Would of loved to see the Offensive line built up. Marshawn Lynch was more important than Wilson, but Wilson gets the money.

The key reasons why the Seahawks won the Superbowl was great defense, underpaid QB, excellent running back, and average offensive line.

2016 Seahawks have an overworked (excellent) defense, overpaid QB, a mix of injured running backs, and one of the worst offensive lines in the league.

Time to trade Wilson and go back to what works. The game was about as bad as the Rams game. Bad!

Could this be the new "and I've seen them all" post?

McGruff

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":22dso784 said:
McGruff":22dso784 said:
Largent80":22dso784 said:
How can the Cowpies be squarely in the middle of that graph with 3 1st rounders on that line?

1st rounders are cheap compared to even mediocre veterans like Breno and Sweezy.

The bottom three teams are playoff teams, and the four elite NFL teams this year are middle or lower.

Oakland. 9 - 2 with the highest paid line in the league.

Obviously there are teams all over the place. That wasn't really the point. The point is that we and other teams are proving that you can win a LOT of games without an expensive OL. My point is that charts like that are pointless in terms of wins and losses.

Oh yeah, my point is also that we are 7-3-1 and in 2nd place in the NFC and running away with our division while having the lowest paid line by far.

In fact, the bottom 4 teams on that list are 7-3-1, 8-3, 8-3 and 7-4. Combined 30 wins.

The top 4 are 9-2, 5-6, 6-5 and 6-5. Combined 26 wins.

So what's the point? We spend less on the OL? So what?

Laloosh

Reaction score
Can't help but wonder if Bevell looks like this as he watches defensive lines from week to week on film:

Tumblr m5q8lmYjKT1qlcru4o1 500

Latest posts