O-Line, Back to the drawing board

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
mikehawks":6nuy3j95 said:
The Offensive problem is a direct result of overpaying Russel Wilson. It's not a popular view, but I was dead set against the signing of Wilson. Should of let him walk, put in Archer, or other average NFL QB, and took our chances.

Wow.....just wow.

andyh64000

Reaction score
Largent80":lzdda5zv said:
mikehawks":lzdda5zv said:
The Offensive problem is a direct result of overpaying Russel Wilson. It's not a popular view, but I was dead set against the signing of Wilson. Should of let him walk, put in Archer, or other average NFL QB, and took our chances.

Wow.....just wow.

+1

joeseahawks

Reaction score
There is no other QB in the NFL I would pay today over RW.
mikehawks":17mh4np5 said:

jammerhawk

Reaction score
mikehawks":3bs40rrl said:
The Offensive problem is a direct result of overpaying Russel Wilson. It's not a popular view, but I was dead set against the signing of Wilson. Should of let him walk, put in Archer, or other average NFL QB, and took our chances. Would of loved to see the Offensive line built up. Marshawn Lynch was more important than Wilson, but Wilson gets the money.

The key reasons why the Seahawks won the Superbowl was great defense, underpaid QB, excellent running back, and average offensive line.

2016 Seahawks have an overworked (excellent) defense, overpaid QB, a mix of injured running backs, and one of the worst offensive lines in the league.

Time to trade Wilson and go back to what works. The game was about as bad as the Rams game. Bad!

This above post fails to pass for being sensible, or in even understanding how hard it is to find a starting quality QB. I heartily disagree and think the post is foolish nonsense. The interior OLine was where the heat happened and if it wasn't Hunt waiving the rush through it was Ifedi or Glowinski. The whole OLine failed miserably and Wilson was as a result out of sorts all game and off in terms of timing and accuracy. The OLine couldn't runblock worth a carp, besides Wilson there was no run game at all.

Funny though, after the NE game and Fant's exceptional game I thought we were starting to see a maturing OLine finally understanding their jobs. Britt has played well so far and Ifedi has moments where he looks to be a capable player. So far Glowinski and Gilliam have underperformed all year, but even they were looking be improved. Then this happened and they were exposed yet again as weak.

TB hung 14 on the D quickly but then it stiifened and didn't allow any more, despite a giant inequity of TOP. 2/12 in terms of 3rd down conversions points out just how bad things were. the team had trouble getting past midfield all game. Yet hung in there 9 ponts back unable to make up any single one of them, getting only 3 points on O all game is something to be disappointed and concerned seriously about. Fingers need to pointed at the offenders and each of them is on Oline, so of the drops by WRs or unmade plays also were factors. The blame is on the whole O from the OC to the FB who at 292could made a 1 yard 3rd down conversion. Dumping Wilson for some underpaid rookie or cheap unproven arm isn't the answer in anyway.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":lw19zd0u said:
Losing Britt really hurt. With our bare bones approach to the OL you'd better get used to this type of performance. It's what will inevitably happen when our starters go down as we don't have capable backups. Some would argue we don't have capable starters but that's a different discussion.
We don't even have capable starters. There isn't a starter on this team that would be anymore than a back up elsewhere. Our "back ups" are guys who have been cut from other teams practice squads. One or two of these guys might grow into serviceable down the line but none are close to being ready now.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
andyh64000":1a92y7vb said:
Largent80":1a92y7vb said:
mikehawks":1a92y7vb said:

Wow.....just wow.

+1
+2

A-Dog

Reaction score
Largent80":1fbefe4t said:
Why did Sowell take over for Gilliam?...because he was out of position and is a dreadful player at any position.

And I know Gilliam has been terrible as well, but to sub a more terrible player for him was a mistake to me.
Carroll said he wanted to "try him out." He didn't say he won the job in practice or anything like that. It sounded more like they wanted to see if he would do well given game time at RT... something that normally happens in the preseason.

So Ifedi, a rookie, was playing between two new starters for most of the game.

From what I saw, Sowell was terrible, and in particular I saw he and Ifedi struggling with switching on stunts. I started the game a bit late so I didn't see Gilliam play, but the line was playing well and making progress for three games with Gilliam in there so I too question the wisdom of throwing Sowell in there, especially with a new center as well. Either he must be playing really well in practice or they feel bad for benching him due to injury and wanted to give him a chance in good faith. In that process that means fewer reps for Gilliam and and a new teammate for Ifedi to get comfortable with.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
brimsalabim":3tagvulu said:
CodeWarrior":3tagvulu said:
Losing Britt really hurt. With our bare bones approach to the OL you'd better get used to this type of performance. It's what will inevitably happen when our starters go down as we don't have capable backups. Some would argue we don't have capable starters but that's a different discussion.
We don't even have capable starters. There isn't a starter on this team that would be anymore than a back up elsewhere. Our "back ups" are guys who have been cut from other teams practice squads. One or two of these guys might grow into serviceable down the line but none are close to being ready now.

This isn't true, Britt is a top 15 center in the league as of right now. Yes, even better than Max Unger.

One player is slightly below average: Glowinski but on the rise

and everyone else is approaching worst in the league status.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Largent80":zzpak81c said:
Everyone saw Hunt hike the ball and immediately dive for the players knees. Cable, do you coach this?

Gives us a first and twenty two at the 15 yard line.

In fact our lack of converting on third down caused us to get pinned inside the ten numerous times.

Tom Cable does coach this. According to this article, there was a new rule making chop blocks illegal and that the Seahawks would be one of the teams most impacted - http://sportsnaut.com/2016/03/report-nfl-outlaws-chop-blocks/. Considering how Hunt was diving and others on the Seahawks OL....it makes sense that Cable has been teaching this to them. Sweezy was doing it a lot last year as well. But at that time it wasn't illegal since they added this new rule in the offseason this year.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Messing with line continuity at this time of the year that isn't injury related isn't a good sign. The bucs proved that.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
hawkfan68":u850sewe said:
Largent80":u850sewe said:
Everyone saw Hunt hike the ball and immediately dive for the players knees. Cable, do you coach this?

Gives us a first and twenty two at the 15 yard line.

In fact our lack of converting on third down caused us to get pinned inside the ten numerous times.

Tom Cable does coach this. According to this article, there was a new rule making chop blocks illegal and that the Seahawks would be one of the teams most impacted - http://sportsnaut.com/2016/03/report-nfl-outlaws-chop-blocks/. Considering how Hunt was diving and others on the Seahawks OL....it makes sense that Cable has been teaching this to them. Sweezy was doing it a lot last year as well. But at that time it wasn't illegal since they added this new rule in the offseason this year.

I hate that this is true. Seeing that penalty is beyond obnoxious considering we usually have a holding or some kind of infraction in each and every drive.

I get pretty pissed off with random penalties especially if they seem to be easily avoidable.

ballard1951

Reaction score
its hard to understand why Justin Britt was active and fully dressed on the sideline in this match, and still didn't play a snap. Why not use him in the 4th quarter?

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
ballard1951":1r0aj4fh said:
its hard to understand why Justin Britt was active and fully dressed on the sideline in this match, and still didn't play a snap. Why not use him in the 4th quarter?

It would be strange to bring in a player solely for the fourth quarter, especially considering he was recovering from an ankle injury.

I saw him in pre-game practice and he seemed mostly fine and maybe had a barely noticeable limp.

He will play this week no doubt.

OpHawk

Reaction score
mikehawks":rg6a911m said:
The Offensive problem is a direct result of overpaying Russel Wilson. It's not a popular view, but I was dead set against the signing of Wilson. Should of let him walk, put in Archer, or other average NFL QB, and took our chances. Would of loved to see the Offensive line built up. Marshawn Lynch was more important than Wilson, but Wilson gets the money.

The key reasons why the Seahawks won the Superbowl was great defense, underpaid QB, excellent running back, and average offensive line.

2016 Seahawks have an overworked (excellent) defense, overpaid QB, a mix of injured running backs, and one of the worst offensive lines in the league.

Time to trade Wilson and go back to what works. The game was about as bad as the Rams game. Bad!

Probably the dumbest post I have read on this site.

chris98251

Reaction score
Hunt is a rookie and they were doing weird line stunts and over loads, I am not sure who was making the line calls but as we seen before Lewis was a huge upgrade over the last new Center we had simply due to his experience making the line calls and not his physical play.

Britt has been doing a great job making calls taking pressure of Wilson doing it so he can focus on his reads of the secondary and Linebackers, there are a whole lot of contributions to our suckfest on Sunday.

chris98251

Reaction score
Largent80":1tx1grfc said:
Messing with line continuity at this time of the year that isn't injury related isn't a good sign. The bucs proved that.

Been a large part of our problem since day one of Pete, there has been just about no continuity period from once season to the next and in a couple seasons game to game.

Defense has overshadowed the problem with their excellent play and getting turnovers, or a Marshawn Lynch who was able to run after contact and still gain yards.

Bevell has never used his talent wisely in my opinion, he has some great players that should be match up nightmares for teams, why he doesn't scheme for that is perplexing and his Red Zone failures are of Epic levels.

I think we win more in spite of his play calling due to the players we have and second and third efforts.

I really think were at a point now where we have to start looking at the reload factor, our players are getting nicked up more and more, that's a sign to start looking for a replacement be it Kam, Earl, Sherman or whomever not because they have fallen off quite yet but wear and tear of 5 seasons or so playing extended seasons of football. This is going to create a level of relief in the salary cap but a talent level void or a adjustment in schemes due to a different set of talents.

This is where the Patriots excel, they can reload quickly and don't have a attachment to players personally.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Does every thread on this board have to have a Bevell criticism?

This is getting REALLY old.

McGruff

Reaction score
Largent80":210uekc3 said:
How can the Cowpies be squarely in the middle of that graph with 3 1st rounders on that line?

1st rounders are cheap compared to even mediocre veterans like Breno and Sweezy.

The bottom three teams are playoff teams, and the four elite NFL teams this year are middle or lower.

McGruff

Reaction score
djb28":uewalikl said:
At what point does our Owner step in and say.

"HEY!" wtf?

When the team is missing the playoffs regularly, losing more than winning, seats are empty, jerseys aren't selling, etc.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
McGruff":2c31ovhv said:
Largent80":2c31ovhv said:
How can the Cowpies be squarely in the middle of that graph with 3 1st rounders on that line?

1st rounders are cheap compared to even mediocre veterans like Breno and Sweezy.

The bottom three teams are playoff teams, and the four elite NFL teams this year are middle or lower.

Oakland. 9 - 2 with the highest paid line in the league.