O-Line, Back to the drawing board

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Everytime I saw Hunt, he was more concerned about getting to the 2nd level than blocking the man in front of him. I deleted the recording 10 minutes before the game was over so I can't look again.....thankfully.

Leee-roy

Reaction score
I agree, I don't think Cable is getting thru to these guys at all, pass or run blocking.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
kthebestwayw":3r9lxfjm said:
Seahawks better draft an O-lineman with their first and second round picks next year. Wtffffffffff

Ifedi was a high pick.

Maybe O-linemen just need time to develop.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
There's been a mixed performance through the year and it looked like they were coming together but that Buc's game was atrocious. Still it is more of an exception than the rule so far this year. It is by far our worst performance so maybe it is reasonable to question other things besides we just suck and the coaches need to be fired.

I have felt for a long time the center position is critical to overall line play, even more important than LT. Over the years we have watched as we struggled at the center position and the entire line struggled with them but when we have had decent centers in the game going all the way back to Tobeck, the line has played decent to well.

Remember how bad our O-line was when Spencer replaced Tobeck? How improved it was when Unger was healthy or even when Patrick Lewis stepped in. Now that player is Britt and yesterday we watched the entire O-line look lost and out of position for the entire game. I wasn't happy to see Lewis go and now I'm even more so.

So far this year our O-line has performed fair to decent and that is with all the inexperience and no cohesion to start the year. That's a huge step up from last year even better than when Lewis was starting.

Yesterday sucked but hopefully it has more to do with the travel, a possible trap game and Britt being out. Hopefully Britt comes back soon because we won't win another game the way that line played against Tampa.

To be fair the receivers and Wilson looked just as bad as the O-line.

razor150

Reaction score
At some point somebody has to be held accountable for how bad this offensive line is, and has been. Before the game I was hearing how Tom Cable was talking up Joey Hunt as someone who has a lot of football smarts. Great, maybe one day he'll make a great coach. If Cable is picking these players then his opinion needs to be ignored, or he needs to be fired, because he definitely isn't coaching anybody up.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2016/6/27/120 ... e-hot-seat

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Offseason: Draft the best center, sign a good veteran lineman of any position

This season: pray Britt stays healthy

andyh64000

Reaction score
Did anyone think the o-line had smaller splits yesterday? I thought they did and that it might be to try to cover for Hunt.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
How can the Cowpies be squarely in the middle of that graph with 3 1st rounders on that line?

chris98251

Reaction score
Largent80":3ft0eg9i said:
How can the Cowpies be squarely in the middle of that graph with 3 1st rounders on that line?

The are still on their rookie contracts and have not hit the transition years of the contracts.

Not sure just a guess it's 5 years with first rounder's when they sign now, so cheap talent till that option year where they can extend or let them walk.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
I know I'm usually on the other side of this but this thread needs to relax.

We just commended the offensive line for playing well a few weeks ago. If you remember this has been a trend going back to the super bowl year of 12-13. Not saying I like it, not saying it doesn't piss me off, just being realistic.

Russell Wilson got sacked 6 times yesterday a far cry from previous games when BRITT was playing center. Hunt is a rookie and not likely a main-stay there.

If you ask me Britt is more valuable than any of us knew.

I'm confident the line will be better next week. I think Ifedi is fine but he's a rookie, I think Glowinski is fine and I think Britt is decent. The tackles are where we have problems and I agree with the earlier sentiment that we should start drafting guys who actually play those position in college.

I also agree with another previous comment which states the OT position is thin for this coming draft. That would be a correct assessment considering David Sharpe is ranked 8th overall but has been tremendously underwhelming as a big guy for the Gators. To put it simply, he's just not NFL talent. This doesn't necessarily mean there aren't any good pieces out there. Chad Wheeler has played well for USC outside of a couple injuries and situations with law enforcement, I think Pete would be (obviously) the right guy to work on him here, plus his ties to USC. Also look at Taylor Morton out of West Michigan who went undefeated with an amazing passing attack and Julie'n Davenport out of Bucknell (My Dad's alma mater, lol) These guys aren't going to be drafted highly which means Pete and JS might have more of a selection come their pick.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Why did Sowell take over for Gilliam?...because he was out of position and is a dreadful player at any position.

And I know Gilliam has been terrible as well, but to sub a more terrible player for him was a mistake to me.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
SNDavidson":3k50du67 said:
Offseason: Draft the best center, sign a good veteran lineman of any position

This season: pray Britt stays healthy

Keep Britt at center, don't sign free agent tackles, draft actual lineman out of college, = winning formula.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
^ You DO realize that it isn't that simple don't you?

Drafting tackles that are any good requires a draft pick that you only get by losing a lot the year before, is that what you want?

Like it or not, a team simply can't draft tackles and win, and have a good team all the time, the salary cap, and the way the draft is set up will not allow it.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Largent80":2tt417rc said:
^ You DO realize that it isn't that simple don't you?

Drafting tackles that are any good requires a draft pick that you only get by losing a lot the year before, is that what you want?

Like it or not, a team simply can't draft tackles and win, and have a good team all the time, the salary cap, and the way the draft is set up will not allow it.

Keeping Britt at center is not hard, someone suggested getting someone else there which is odd to say the least.

I'm aware of how football works, and that is in no shape or way reason to continually have a bad line if you have good scouts and are good in the draft. You don't have to immediately sign draft picks. If you draft well it's not a problem for a team. Drafting projects and free agents isn't the answer to having a good line. If your tackles are that bad, draft multiple tackles, you don't just settle with what you have especially considering 4 of our tackle spots are in the bottom 10 tackles in the league out of 70 some.

I have PFF scores but I'm going to create my own thread for that.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
RichNhansom":2mva1fdj said:
To be fair the receivers and Wilson looked just as bad as the O-line.

....and none of their play is affected by poor OL play? You write the above quoted remark after writing how bad the OL played...amazing. Each part doesn't operate in a vacuum.

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Sign Austin Pasztor out of Cleveland he's an unrestricted free agent next year. DO ITTTTTTTTTTT.

djb28

Reaction score
At what point does our Owner step in and say.

"HEY!" wtf?

mikehawks

Reaction score
The Offensive problem is a direct result of overpaying Russel Wilson. It's not a popular view, but I was dead set against the signing of Wilson. Should of let him walk, put in Archer, or other average NFL QB, and took our chances. Would of loved to see the Offensive line built up. Marshawn Lynch was more important than Wilson, but Wilson gets the money.

The key reasons why the Seahawks won the Superbowl was great defense, underpaid QB, excellent running back, and average offensive line.

2016 Seahawks have an overworked (excellent) defense, overpaid QB, a mix of injured running backs, and one of the worst offensive lines in the league.

Time to trade Wilson and go back to what works. The game was about as bad as the Rams game. Bad!

razor150

Reaction score
mikehawks":12rmuhm1 said:
2016 Seahawks have an overworked (excellent) defense, overpaid QB, a mix of injured running backs, and one of the worst offensive lines in the league.

Time to trade Wilson and go back to what works. The game was about as bad as the Rams game. Bad!

What? Even if you were right about Wilson, you're not, do you even understand how hard it is to get a QB as good as he is in the draft? Teams go for years with many losing seasons without finding one. There was a big difference between the Rookie Wilson led team than the Jackson led team from the year before. What you are arguing is going back those Jackson days if we are lucky, but with a better offensive line.