Odhiambo

Optimus25

Reaction score
Seymour":37ayyckp said:
That is excellent news! That means the Fant was actually better and Cable may have gotten 1 of 5 right. Forget the fact neither was good enough to play in the NFL of course.

I was wondering today how we might have looked with fant this year.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
ducks41468":6r1qussa said:
So we're 4 weeks in and 2 of the 5 week 1 starters have already potentially been replaced. And yet every year the staff and the homers tell us that we're just young, give it time to build continuity, etc. This is precisely the problem, it's impossible to build continuity when the players are so awful that you lose patience after a few weeks. A lineman needs a base level of competency to be worth investing in to build that continuity and most of the lineman Cable drafts don't come close to meeting that requirement. Wouldn't surprise me if we have 4 news starters on the line next year and we hear the same nonsense.

People are "homers" if they try and remain confident in the team or its players?

Not everybody comes on here just to point out the negatives... or repeat them over and over again.

this narrative could do with a wash.

Rest of the post is spot on.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Proud to be a Homer, I've been called worse. I certainly have plenty of confidence in the players, team and coaching staff (minus Bevell and Cable).

Seymour

Reaction score
Uncle Si":7hhgnbh7 said:
ducks41468":7hhgnbh7 said:
So we're 4 weeks in and 2 of the 5 week 1 starters have already potentially been replaced. And yet every year the staff and the homers tell us that we're just young, give it time to build continuity, etc. This is precisely the problem, it's impossible to build continuity when the players are so awful that you lose patience after a few weeks. A lineman needs a base level of competency to be worth investing in to build that continuity and most of the lineman Cable drafts don't come close to meeting that requirement. Wouldn't surprise me if we have 4 news starters on the line next year and we hear the same nonsense.

People are "homers" if they try and remain confident in the team or its players?

Not everybody comes on here just to point out the negatives... or repeat them over and over again.

Narrative is driven by weekly experience. The wash will come with a better experience.

Homers to me are the ones denying the obvious over and over that consensus says needs to be changed.

ducks41468

Reaction score
hawknation2017":1hnkr3cj said:
-The Glove-":1hnkr3cj said:
My friends get mad when I bring up Cable... The excuse that he doesn't get crap to work with is bull. If he's so great, why can't he at least make a serviceable line? How do you get crap players that remain crappy and be considered a guru?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Because he's given crap to work with?

I have a hard time believing that we'd hire a veteran coach like Cable, make him an assistant head coach on top of that, and then not give him any input into the draft process and just tell him to work with the garbage that PC/JS select for him. I definitely think he's part of the problem with our o-line drafting and likely even the main cause of it.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seymour":2be1kmoh said:
Uncle Si":2be1kmoh said:
ducks41468":2be1kmoh said:

Narrative is driven by weekly experience. The wash will come with a better experience.

Homers to me are the ones denying the obvious over and over that consensus says needs to be changed.

So... they disagree essentially.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2lmf7xkh said:
Seymour":2lmf7xkh said:
Uncle Si":2lmf7xkh said:
ducks41468":2lmf7xkh said:

So... they disagree essentially.

Hmm, my experience had been we win 10+ games every year with Pete, go to the playoffs and the Super Bowl.

To ducks, we're only 3 weeks in to a 16 game season. Yes Olinemen need to be competent and ours need to get better.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
ducks41468":1byioj8t said:
hawknation2017":1byioj8t said:
-The Glove-":1byioj8t said:
My friends get mad when I bring up Cable... The excuse that he doesn't get crap to work with is bull. If he's so great, why can't he at least make a serviceable line? How do you get crap players that remain crappy and be considered a guru?

I have a hard time believing that we'd hire a veteran coach like Cable, make him an assistant head coach on top of that, and then not give him any input into the draft process and just tell him to work with the garbage that PC/JS select for him. I definitely think he's part of the problem with our o-line drafting and likely even the main cause of it.

Cable does have input and sometimes has the opportunity to workout certain players. But that's all it is . . . input. The front office is the one pulling the trigger -- or not pulling the trigger (in the case of Ryan Ramczyk this year). The front office and scouting department have all year to evaluate prospects, while the coaches coach.

Cable's greatest sin has been his failure to convince Carroll and Schneider to devote sufficient resources to the offensive line.

Seymour

Reaction score
hawknation2017":134slbd4 said:
ducks41468":134slbd4 said:
hawknation2017":134slbd4 said:
-The Glove-":134slbd4 said:

Cable does have input and sometimes has the opportunity to workout certain players. But that's all it is . . . input. The front office is the one pulling the trigger -- or not pulling the trigger (in the case of Ryan Ramczyk this year). The front office and scouting department have all year to evaluate prospects, while the coaches coach.

Cable's greatest sin has been his failure to convince Carroll and Schneider to devote sufficient resources to the offensive line.

BS. Cable has gone or record saying he prefers to coach guys up, and this is being done on his advise of the best way to build the team. Keep hanging on and dreaming things up though....

hawk45

Reaction score
hawknation2017":misyrem9 said:

They've devoted sufficient draft resources. More draft resources on that unit than any other unit on the team. Lack of ability to help identify and coach up players is squarely on Cable. Schneider is drafting to Cable's specs, especially with the fancy zone scheme.

Where I will dance with you is Schneider allowing multiple starters to leave in FA or trade for 2 years in a row. He doesn't want to pay Cable's products who aren't obvious core players like Britt, but he has to realize that he cannot throw 3 or more positions on the line into chaos at the beginning of each season and expect anything but disaster. In that respect, Schneider really has (in hindsight) been a big part of the problem.

I say in hindsight because at the time I was perfectly fine with not paying Carpenter, Unger, and Sweezy a 2nd contract for what we got from them. I was less fine with Okung because I was starting to catch on at that point that we can't blow multiple holes in the OL each year.

Seymour

Reaction score
Schneider is Pete and Toms puppet. He doesn't just release guys without Pete giving him priority and saying who to keep and who to let go of in making the cap. Schneider is last at fault here. I'm sure his opinion plays large in Pete's final decisions, but this ultimately is on Pete, who ultimately trusts Tom to be the expert on his group.

Seymour

Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-se...der-relationship-has-served-the-seahawks-well

When Carroll went back to coach in the college ranks at USC, he realized the value in being able to make the final decisions. He was the coach, the GM, the last stop in the program.

"I just found that was the best way to be the most accurate in acquiring talent and then utilizing that," he said. "I can’t see where there’s a better way to do that. I think that’s the best way to do it because ultimately it comes down to the game and coaching guys and getting them fitted together. And so the coach has to be part of that to do that."

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Seymour":23spbwxb said:
hawknation2017":23spbwxb said:
ducks41468":23spbwxb said:
hawknation2017":23spbwxb said:

BS. Cable has gone or record saying he prefers to coach guys up, and this is being done on his advise of the best way to build the team. Keep hanging on and dreaming things up though....

Prefers to coach guys up? You want to provide a link for that ridiculous assertion. The last time we played this game the facts did not match your perception of them.

He coached a basketball power forward into a starting LT in three months out of NECESSITY. Because we let Okung sign elsewhere last off-season for just one-year, $5 million guaranteed and because we failed to sign or draft a legitimate NFL-caliber LT. That is on Schneider and Carroll, who have cut resources to the offensive line in the hopes that Cable will coach them up.

Instead, the remaining cap money and draft picks have been spent largely on defense.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Cable's saving grace might be Ethan Pocic, who I'm pretty sure was drafted without Cable's input. Put Pocic in at left tackle.

Seymour

Reaction score
hawknation2017":1kj3hhws said:
Prefers to coach guys up? You want to provide a link for that ridiculous assertion. The last time we played this game the facts did not match your perception of them.

Nope. I've been down that road with you. Look it up for yourself. Or someone else may want to help you.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1fkrjyrj said:
Cable's saving grace might be Ethan Pocic, who I'm pretty sure was drafted without Cable's input. Put Pocic in at left tackle.

LT is the one position Pocic has never started at.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Seymour":1i7g1bsz said:
hawknation2017":1i7g1bsz said:

Nope. I've been down that road with you. Look it up for yourself. Or someone else may want to help you.

Thought so . . . :2thumbs:

Joyodongo

Reaction score
This was the pick I most hated in the last 2 years, specially after listening to his reaction to the JS call the night of the draft.
Call me what you want but somehow I think there's a correlation on how someone talks and how he behaves/work/plays.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2017":1wls27bo said:
MontanaHawk05":1wls27bo said:

LT is the one position Pocic has never started at.

What's that matter? Fant hadn't either. At least Pocic has post-middle school offensive line experience.