Offensive Coordinator replacement for 2016

massari

Reaction score
Threedee":33j1tr04 said:
Payton is a notorious douche, so I'm not sure we want that baggage.

Tom Cable is a woman beater. Allegedly.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
My brother, my friend, this guy on facebook, anybody else who thinks they can call a better game from their couch.

TwilightError

Reaction score
Brian Schottenheimer or Kyle Shanahan. Both taken but who knows what happens during silly season. Creative younger guys, who could do well not getting too excited under Pete's control. Greg Roman has also proved his worth.

falcongoggles

Reaction score
I stole this comment from the Times
Baffled? What is there to be baffled about? You could see this coming a mile away when the Hawks decided to try to run out the clock with half the 3rd quarter remaining. I'd say this team isn't going anywhere as long as Bevell is the OC but I'm not sure it matters - Carroll's conservative style is killing them. They've lost 4 of their last 6 and held a 4th quarter lead in every game (and, realistically, it should probably be 5/6 if not for a stroke of luck against Detroit). The only lead they've been able to hold was against the Bears and their hapless JV offense. They've been remarkably consistent at losing leads and the one thing they refuse to do? Try something different. "We're going to a be a running team that controls the ball". No, your not - your going to TRY to be a running team but instead you'll just go 3-and-out over and over and over again. But, hey, don't let that stop you. Just stick with two runs up the middle on every 1st & 2nd down and then have Wilson scramble for his life on 3rd & long when everybody knows it has to be a pass.

It's easy to blame the defense for letting these leads slip away but really, it's almost all on their offense. How many defenses in this league can hold up repeatedly when the offense can't stay on the field for more than 4 downs for almost the entire game. Seattle had one good drive the whole day (the opening one). After that, they scored a field goal with time running out in the half after Cincy went into prevent mode (which just about every team in the league can score against these days) and then Rawls broke a run and they luckily weren't forced to sustain a drive. And that's it. Just pathetic. This team simply cannot play with the lead because every time they get ahead, Carroll suddenly thinks it's 2013 and they can just run out the clock no matter how much time remains - this despite the fact that their run game is almost always ineffective (and it's particularly bad when the defense knows a run is coming - pretty much the final 20 minutes of this game). Even Rawls' numbers were deceptive - he had 90 yards on 2 runs. That didn't stop Seattle from running 21 other times for a grand total of 79 yards.

I would have actually felt better had Cincy scored with about a minute left and Seattle would have been forced to go with the hurry-up and stop effing running it - as least then they would have had a chance. Once it got to OT they were doomed because with no time pressure, they went right back to conceding every 1st and 2nd down with runs up the middle. Seriously, how many times does something not have to work before they stop doing it?

cacksman

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":16snnm07 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":16snnm07 said:
So basically... nobody has an attractive alternative?

I do: Mike Leach. Would love to see his crazy offense in the NFL. I think Russ would be the perfect QB for him, too.

Stop.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I think there are a handful of playcallers out there who would be far better than Darrell, but in Seattle, with sharing OC duties to some extent with Cable, there is no plugging in some wannabe HC type guy. No Kyle, no Bill Callahan type guy.

Things to look for in a candidate
What is his approach to creating and exploiting matchups? How does he feel about getting the defence into a lesser personnel group and then using no huddle to keep them in that group for a few plays?

And would he ever be so damn dumb that he lined both his fullbacks up out wide in an empty set?

HawkGA

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1j9fvzwz said:
And would he ever be so damn dumb that he lined both his fullbacks up out wide in an empty set?

This makes me chuckle and cry at the same time.

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
Josh McDaniels is probably at the top of the list but he will get another shot at HC. Jed Fisch has done some nice things in his young career and was with the Hurricanes when Pete's son was TEs coach there. He got fired from the Jags last year but was in a tough spot with a rookie QB. Scott Frost is taking some heat in Oregon but he seems to have a bright future.

Is the guy that made Fran Tarkenton a star still alive? He may know how to use Russ...

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2wgf1m0q said:
"Is Marc Trestman floating around somewhere still?" He is the Ravens OC this season. He does love Russell though.

Last year Cutler was a dumpster fire. This year he's one of the top rated passers. Now that Trestman is in Baltimore Flacco is the 2nd lowest rated passer in the NFL. No thank you.

I second the Rob Chudzinski vote. He'd at least for sure understand how to get a Hall of Fame caliber tight end involved in the offense.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I defend Bevell more than most, but our offense is so predictable the other team's DB's are now LITERALLY running our WR's routes............which is why Russell can't find anyone open and getting sacked at an alarmingly high rate.

Is that on Bevell? Idk, maybe it's a directive from Pete because he trusts his defense to hold leads.

But sorry man, that defense is long gone. THIS defense going back to the SB has now given up 4th quarter and overtimes leads like they're going out of business.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":yknm80tx said:
So basically... nobody has an attractive alternative?

Kind of what I figured would happen.

Though I still think Chud would be a great OC.

crosfam

Reaction score
1. Sark if he gets fired and completes rehab.
2. Scott Frost - the problem at Oregon is his personnel/turnover, not the system or play calls.
3. Hue Jackson (ha - he is due to be a head coach soon)
4. Keep Bevell - once we shake off the SB hangover, our offense should work fine. We did actually go the SB twice with him. He probably won't leave unless a team makes him (gulp), a head coach. We went 3-3 last year at one point. We have lost three road games that we led in the 4th quarter, two in OT, to pretty good/tough teams. Everybody is gunning for us. We still may be the best team in the NFC west. We won't know till we play (beat) the Cardinals.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
crosfam":230fwo6t said:
4. Keep Bevell - once we shake off the SB hangover, our offense should work fine. We did actually go the SB twice with him.

This argument needs to stop, it's a fallacy. We went to the Superbowl twice with Jon Ryan too, but we didn't go BECAUSE of him. We went to the Superbowl twice when I wore my #12 jersey all year, but we didn't go BECAUSE of my jersey.

It's a nationally recognized fact that our offense is at it's best when plays break down and Wilson has to pull magic out of his hat, or when Lynch breaks through tackles and bad blocks. To put it more simply: our offense only works when our elite players go off script. That means the script is awful and it's time to fire whoever penned it.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
On team:
Carl Smith (QB coach)

NFL:
Greg Olson (OC Jax) highly unlikely
Doug Marrone (Asst. HC/OL Jax)

College:
Lane Kiffin (OC Alabama)
Scottie Montgomery (OC Duke)
Brent Key (OC UCF)
Del Miller (Co-OC Kansas State)

Other:
Jeremy Bates

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Considering we've put the vast majority of Paul Allen's resources into our defense, we should be winning games with a two touchdown lead in the fourth quarter. The offense set us up to best Cincy, and unfortunately we let it get away

Latest posts