Offensive or defensive minded coach? (Poll)

Offensive or defensive minded next head coach?

• Offensive minded

• Defensive minded

• Other/it's not that simple!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wheetie

Reaction score
First things first, you need a leader. The league is littered with great offensive and defensive minds, but real leaders are lacking. Pete was truly a great leader, so I truly hope the next coach will be someone that the players respect and want to win for.
Respect stems out of discipline and accountability. Pete was more of friend to these guys which garnered very little of those 2 things. There's a balance between running the team like a business and demanding accountability, while also fostering a fun culture. Pete ran things way more to the latter, and I would hope the next Coach would run things a lot more to the accountability side. IMO he lost some of the locker room during the year because of the lack of accountability and it was evident by their style of play.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I want something NEW and DIFFERENT. I want to break those ties to Pete. Don't care if it's an offensive minded or defensive minded coach. Just my own opinion. Ben Johnson or Mike Macdonald or Mike Vrabel, bring it on.
They're all new and different, though.

flv2

Reaction score
Two thirds of the budget is going into the offense. The HC has to get the most out of the budget. If you have a defensive HC either he passes responsibility for that two thirds to the OC, or he meddles. I know this is an oversimplification, but Seahawks fans have seen how it can turn out.

There are 3 ways to win with defense:
1) Out scheme your opponents.
2) Be good at every position so there's no weakness to exploit.
3) Have 2+ difference making players on defense.
1) & 3) are difficult to maintain.

Aircrew

Reaction score
I want to see a true leader *cough*Vrabel*cough* hired, that's the kind of HC you just don't find everyday. You can replace offensive and defensive coordinators when they get hired away, you can't just replace a leader. BUT, what I think is going to happen, is John Schneider is going to follow the Green Bay template and go with an offensive head coach as well as draft a QB just about every year, and I wouldn't be mad at that.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Dan Quinn isn't new and different. That's the point I'm trying to make. We don't need Pete Light, imo.
I dunno, I really can't get behind calling him Pete Light. He worked for Pete for 3 years total. He's been elsewhere the whole time otherwise. Runs a different scheme, different type of personality, all of it.

Not my preferred candidate but really, Vrabel is probably closer to Pete Light in terms of his overall make-up as a coach.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's just a term I heard. No need to read more into it. I want them to break the ties from Pete. I want something DIFFERENT.
This isn't something different, imo.
Not up to me, or anyone else on here. But I would MUCH rather see them go with Johnson, Macdonald or Vrabel.
I think the Dan Quinn thing is getting a little old. So much talk that he was the "obvious choice" etc.
Why though? Let's get a younger coach in here who is going to change things up, be innovative, change the culture of the team.

Mike Macdonald or Ben Johnson would fit that bill. Just MY opinion.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I had to say other. A lot will depend on who the coordinators are going to be. Also, just because a coach has coached on one side of the ball doesn’t necessarily mean he doesn’t have an excellent understanding of the other side as well. One could easily argue that you can’t be a good defensive guy without knowing how to be a great offensive guy and vice versa

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It's an offensive league, and with seemingly every new rule change it only amplifies this fact.

So for me? I'd like an offensive minded coach. Seems to be MUCH easier to replace your D-coordinator than to find a good to great offensive coordinator. I mean, no one knows this dynamic more than us.

Ozzy

Reaction score
This right here.

From a personal perspective, I think we have more weapons on offense than on defense. Debatable….but that’s just my opinion.

I’d like to see their abilities maximized…IF that hasn’t happened already. Dynamic schemes, full utilization…..

Perhaps this is wishful thinking but we have a guy with the potential to rush for 1200 yards. We have a couple of guys that could get 1200+ yards at receiver. Noah Fant is a beast….could he not get more looks?

There’s a strong argument though for a defensive minded coach. Our D has been downright awful. The talent is there…we lost a few to injury but that tragic nosedive after the 6th, 7th game of the season…what does that point to other than coaching/scheme?

You don’t go from a top 5..top 10…defense and suddenly become as bad as they were without a fundamental shift at the coaching level.
Great post! I fully understand people wanting to go defense. It would be awesome to hire a guy who can come in and fix that side of the ball. I just think its probably easier to hire a guy to maximize the offense and hire a DC who can still get a lot more out of the defense than what Pete/Clintt were getting.
I dunno, I really can't get behind calling him Pete Light. He worked for Pete for 3 years total. He's been elsewhere the whole time otherwise. Runs a different scheme, different type of personality, all of it.

Not my preferred candidate but really, Vrabel is probably closer to Pete Light in terms of his overall make-up as a coach.
But he adopted many of the same things Pete did so I think for a lot of the guys it could feel very similar. Meeting structures, daily mantas like tell the truth monday's or whatever etc. I just have a hard time with Quinn after he got wrecked by the same offensive systems he will be facing within the division as well. That may be a personnel thing. But either way it doesn't instill a lot of confidence for me. I forgot who said it but someone said "When you hear Dan Quinn does it sound like the guy you want to go toe to toe with the McVays and the Shanahans of the world?" For me its a no.

Maelstrom,

Curious why your so high on him? Do you like him more than Johnson, Slowick and those guys? Vrabel?

Ozzy

Reaction score
It's an offensive league, and with seemingly every new rule change it only amplifies this fact.

So for me? I'd like an offensive minded coach. Seems to be MUCH easier to replace your D-coordinator than to find a good to great offensive coordinator. I mean, no one knows this dynamic more than us.
This has been my point as well.

HawkFreak

Reaction score
Probably a duh type of comment...but It's tough to make this just an offensive vs. defensive type of HC hire. Yes - an offensive minded HC could "out-offense" the Rams and Niners with creativity and scheming. But a great defense can also obviously neutralize a creatively schemed offense. The more I sit with this - either the HC needs to be more balanced - or hopefully JS is very aware of the imbalance and not afraid of addressing it head-on by filling that void with great coordinators and assistants in those areas.

hoxrox

Reaction score
This is probably the most important decision of John's career. If he hasn't already, he needs to seriously consider what the identity of this team is going to be, and whether or not he and this new head coach can establish and implement this identity.

During the LOB years, the vision and identity was crystal clear. Physical, smash mouth, run the ball, and dominate on defense. Stop the run, and don't get beat deep. The roster was full of players with huge chips on their shoulders, who were self-motivated and held each other accountable.

Then as the years the went on, they lost of sight of this. The team not only became stale schematically, but it also became soft. There was no identity. Who were the 2023 Seahawks?

Now that John is 100% in charge of staff and roster construction, we'll learn a lot about his vision for the team going forward.

SeaWolv

Reaction score

I think if you read between the lines at the JS presser, he was kind of saying this very thing. As he said, they've been studying this for a while now and then proceeded to talk at length about the problems an offensive minded coach solves in regards to your most important position, QB.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Mike Holmgren said he hopes he goes offensive coach and they’re buddies. Hmm