Offensive or defensive minded coach? (Poll)

Offensive or defensive minded next head coach?

• Offensive minded

• Defensive minded

• Other/it's not that simple!

Results are only viewable after voting.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Defense and no question that it wins, it's a system that yes with great players can make it even better, but it's the system that works and the players understanding their roles. A coach that can implement one will be able to control a game.

Offense hmmmm, take out a RB, A QB and it can shut it down, doesn't matter the system more often than not, have a bad o line and you are likely to go no where, no good WR's and your one dimensional. But you can have that if your defense can keep you close and create turnovers and allow a handicapped offense to take risks and have short fields. We have done that here, Baltimore did it with Dilfer, it can be argued the Jets did it in 1969, Dolphins with the no name defense, and well Steelers were just sick on both sides of the ball and with their depth but did it mostly with defense. Dallas won with the Flex defense and 49ers had Montana but their defense was unheralded but carried more than their share of the load. Rice and Montana get a lot of press but that defense was something else as well.

So defense for me.

Every example you listed is at least a decade old. The league has changed.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
If you are drafting a QB in the first round you need an offensive minded coach IMO long term.

This is my thought also and they are going to draft one in the next year or so. They have to. The defense can't go anywhere but up at this point and any competent coach and coordinator will be able to get the D to average or better.

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Offensive head coach whose defense was bottom half of the league all but two seasons of his decade as coach wants an offensive coach hired. Color me unsurprised.
It sounds like you don't like Holmgren BASF?

chris98251

Reaction score
Every example you listed is at least a decade old. The league has changed.
You think it has, we don't need a defense offense dominant, Air Coryell, we don't need a defense we have Greatest show on Turf Mike Martz, We don't need a defense we have Run and Shoot June Jones, West Coast Offense, Bill Walsh, K gun Marv Levy with Ted Marchibroda, I could go on, Al Davis with the Vertical passing game in the fledgling AFL, yeah they didn't pass down field much before him and going deep was not that routine. Daryle Lamonica nick named the Mad Bomber for a reason.

Bottom line is a defense has shut down every one of these offensive trends as they develop and mature the defense counters, you do have defensive trends, but they can adapt quickly, offenses tend to develop more slowly. Ravens, Bears, Dolphins, Steelers, Cowboys, 49ers had best of both worlds as did Steelers, Bills and Vikings have not won it but they got their 10 times due to a defense and a Running game complimented with a pass attack as well.

So defense, not sexy, trendy, flashy as this new generation of Chromosome named people like, but still the core as is a running game of some sort. Want fast breaks watch Basketball.

Fade

Reaction score
The best offensive playcallers in the NFL are headcoaches.

Any OC who shows any modicum of ability gets snatched up as a HC immediately.

By not hiring an offensive playcaller as your HC, you are putting your team at a serious handicap.

Meanwhile, DCs grow on trees, they are easily replaceable. As they are in low demand for HC jobs.

Belichick's offense went in the toilet, when he lost McDaniels.

Quinn's offense in ATL went in the toilet when he lost Kyle.

When teams lose their quality OC it messes up the entire operation. It has become so obvious now, that even the most casual of fans recognize this.

Defensive coaches can work. But you need a veteran QB, or a running QB who takes care of the ball. And they must field an elite defense or you're getting no benefit whatsoever.

And your O-Line will likely be trash. A defensive HC staple in most instances.

The Seahawks are in a position as a franchise where they will be taking a QB very soon. And they need stability going forward for him.

Offensive HC is a no-brainer.

If they go defensive HC, they must win right away. As you're just replacing Pete with a younger variant, and looking to keep the same operation going. Run the ball, play defense, ride with Geno, maybe win a playoff game, but not serious contenders. Mediocre with no real future.

DeMeco Ryans down in HOU, will be a problem longterm for this very reason. The expectations down there will be championships with CJ Stroud going forward. If the Texans don't make a Superbowl by 2026 he will be fired for an offensive coach. Or if Stroud regresses, he will be immediately on the hot seat and fired the next year if he doesn't turn it around.

Offensive HC!

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
If they go defensive they need to hire a bright, innovative & young OC & let him go crazy with it.

They also have to do this knowing, as Fade said above, that they will be losing him to another team in a couple years.

I guess I agree with Fade & say just bring in that offensive guy as HC then you don't have to worry about him being poached. Then hire an established DC, like Wink Martindale, & let him go crazy.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
You think it has, we don't need a defense offense dominant, Air Coryell, we don't need a defense we have Greatest show on Turf Mike Martz, We don't need a defense we have Run and Shoot June Jones, West Coast Offense, Bill Walsh, K gun Marv Levy with Ted Marchibroda, I could go on, Al Davis with the Vertical passing game in the fledgling AFL, yeah they didn't pass down field much before him and going deep was not that routine. Daryle Lamonica nick named the Mad Bomber for a reason.

Bottom line is a defense has shut down every one of these offensive trends as they develop and mature the defense counters, you do have defensive trends, but they can adapt quickly, offenses tend to develop more slowly. Ravens, Bears, Dolphins, Steelers, Cowboys, 49ers had best of both worlds as did Steelers, Bills and Vikings have not won it but they got their 10 times due to a defense and a Running game complimented with a pass attack as well.

So defense, not sexy, trendy, flashy as this new generation of Chromosome named people like, but still the core as is a running game of some sort. Want fast breaks watch Basketball.
You're still listing trends that are old. The modern NFL is more slanted towards the QB and offense than ever before. 9/10 of the last participants in the Super Bowl have been offensive oriented coaches. The lone wolf being the Patriots, a team that had the benefit of a dominant veteran QB. Most the teams left in the playoffs right now are also offensive oriented coaches.

Now, this offseason they're looking to make playing defense even harder with tackling rules. If you're looking to go the route of developing a QB, having stability on the offense is paramount. If developing a QB is in John Schneider's plan, I think you have to go offense.

A trend I see with a lot of defensive coaches is they get a hotshot coordinator, he gets hired somewhere else, teams offense flounders around, never regains that dominance.

The bottom line is you can be successful both ways. I do think, however if developing a young QB is your goal, going with offense is going to lead to more stability for a young passer.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score

Once again, your talking about years past. Defenses were allowed to mug people then. If it was the same now, I would agree with you, but it's not. Defenses in todays NFL can barely touch you without a flag being thrown. It's different now. It's an offense oriented league.

BASF

Reaction score
It sounds like you don't like Holmgren BASF?
It took me a while to warm to him, but I liked him after a few seasons. I once posted about how my learning the offensive side of the ball was largely because of Holmgren becoming our coach. As a defensive oriented fan, I hated the WCO for a long long time.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Another angle I think is overlooked is We spent a ton on DK and a first round pick on JSN, 2nd round picks on Walker and Charbs etc and John probably wants someone who can maximize that investment going forward. I know people think I’m crazy but a ton of national media personalities have said the exact same thing…..John seemed to tip his hand a little during the press conference about losing OC’s when they are really good. I think he will want a guy who can grow with the young offensive core and possibly a young QB for 5-7 years and that be the identity of this team. Like fade said it’s much easier finding a decent DC. Just seems like a no brainer to me

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I'm curious to hear some more from those who voted "Other/It's not that simple!"

Are you just looking for someone with good leadership more so than a specific skill set with Xs and Os?