OFFICIAL GAMEDAY COUNTDOWN!

pmedic920

Reaction score
So after I very minor debate it was decided that the regular season’s first game should be our goal.
Again, I’ll start us off but may not be able to post every single day.
PLEASE feel free to add your own contributions or favorite players by number, There’s no reason we can’t have multiples on each day.
I only ask that we keep the jersey numbers on track each day and that day only.

99 days and counting:

And a very well loved player, probably an all time favorite of many, and possibly a bit confusing for some.

Cortez Kennedy

Attachments

• IMG_1342.jpeg
    IMG_1342.jpeg
    246.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:

Lagartixa

Reaction score
And a very well loved player, probably an all time favorite of many, and possibly a bit confusing for some.

Cortez Kennedy

For those who don't remember, Tez's number for ten of his 11 seasons was 96. He wore the number 99 in 1992, and won Defensive Player of the Year wearing that number.
The story is told pretty well in this article.

And it's nice that we'll get to mention Tez again in a couple of days. I'll have a story to tell about Tez's regular uniform number.

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
For those who don't remember, Tez's number for ten of his 11 seasons was 96. He wore the number 99 in 1992, and won Defensive Player of the Year wearing that number.
The story is told pretty well in this article.

And it's nice that we'll get to mention Tez again in a couple of days. I'll have a story to tell about Tez's regular uniform number.
Aww man, you ruined it.

It was supposed to be confusing……

IM KIDDING hopefully obviously.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
For #97, currently on the uniform of Mario Edwards, Jr., I'll go with the previous holder of that number, Poona Ford.

When Ford was coming out of Texas as reigning Big-12 Defensive Lineman of the Year, I was frequenting the Seahawks fan site with the silly name. A guy there got me interested in Ford before the draft, and I was hoping the Seahawks would get him on Day 3 of the draft. He went undrafted and I was really happy when the Seahawks signed him as an undrafted free agent after the draft.

No team was willing to risk even a late seventh-round pick on a guy who had been chosen the Defensive Lineman of the Year for a major conference, and it was widely seen as being because Ford was "too short" to be an effective defensive tackle in the NFL. I was hopeful he might do well for two reasons. First, one of the reasons the basic height-and-weight rules of thumb exist for defensive linemen is because a smaller lineman can be easier to move, but I thought Ford's low center of gravity could actually help him, and at least compensate for him being shorter than most players at his position. Another reason taller linemen tend to be more successful is because taller linemen tend to have longer arms, so they tend to have better reach. But Ford has a wingspan like those of players 6'7" tall, so he's not at the same disadvantage as other sub-six-foot defensive tackles in terms of his reach on the initial "punch."

In the end, despite not having been drafted, Ford became the kind of player that can be a useful part of an NFL team's roster. He's going into his sixth pro season now, having been a starter for four of his five seasons so far. He's good enough to be a starting DT in the NFL, and he can obviously be a very useful part of a defensive-line rotation. That's tremendous value for an undrafted free agent. As I said when Ford became a regular starter in his second season, the Seahawks getting Ford as an undrafted free agent made 31 teams look stupid and one team look lucky. Any team that had risked a sixth or seventh-round draft pick on him would have been thrilled with the return on investment. Heck, his first four years would have been a pretty good return on a fourth-round pick.

Ford got me thinking about the idea that some of the "rules of thumb" used as drafting guidelines, like not taking relatively short defensive tackles, might be incorrect. I actually started a machine-learning project to see if maybe I could determine what factors that a team can know about a player as of the draft can actually help predict how well that player will do in the NFL. Because of the inspiration for the project and because I was making probabilistic projections (predicting a distribution of results, not a specific point result), I called the project Projection of Output Odds for NFL Aspirants (POONA). In the end, I absorbed POONA into a wider project to determine a player's performance in his next game (and over the rest of the current season) based on what's known up to that time about the player. Instead of a tool that could possibly be useful for a professional sports team, and therefore with limited possible users and a difficult path to monetization, I changed the focus of the project in a way that allows me to monetize it without needing the connections to be able to pitch it to an NFL team, and without depending on an NFL team being in just the right "place" (moment, maybe) to need what my system can do.

Poona Ford was the inspiration for a project, POONA, that evolved into multiple projects in multiple countries. So he's my #97.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
The first time I got to Seattle was in October of 2019, after more than 43 years of being a Seahawks fan.
I was on a four-week trip to visit my mother in Maine, and I took one weekend to go to Seattle. I flew from Boston on the Friday, with a connection in Minneapolis. At the gate for my flight to Seattle, I saw a few other people wearing Seahawks stuff (jerseys, sweatshirts, etc.). As I was boarding, I saw a guy wearing a royal-blue #96 jersey sitting in an area I hadn't seen earlier and waiting to be called to board. It turned out his seat was farther back in the plane than mine, so at some point he was waiting for the aisle to clear for him to go past my seat, and he had to stop several feet in front of me. When he made eye contact with me, I said to him "wearing Tez's number is doing Blue Friday right!"

That guy's smile and nod expressed pretty much exactly what @pmedic920 said a couple of comments above this one: "if you know, you know."

Last edited:

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
@Lagartixa I think you are my very favorite story teller on .NET. I really appreciate your detailed descriptions of your stories and history with this team of ours. I honestly look forward to your yarns about your family and experience with the Seahawks. Keep them coming!

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
for those that don’t/didn’t know ….

In this link there is also a 10 second video clip that says it all.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
@Lagartixa I think you are my very favorite story teller on .NET. I really appreciate your detailed descriptions of your stories and history with this team of ours. I honestly look forward to your yarns about your family and experience with the Seahawks. Keep them coming!
I'm really honored, because if I've understood correctly, you're the founder of .NET. Thanks so much both for .NET and for the unbelievably high compliment.

For most of my life, I've been the only Seahawks fan I knew, so being in an online community of Seahawks fans means a lot to me.

ObCountdown: I think we're at 95 days until the start of the Seahawks' season (the NFL season starts three days earlier with a Thursday-night game), so it's time to talk about uniform number 95, currently held by Myles Adams. 95 hasn't been a great number for the Seahawks. Recent players who used that number include Collier for a year, Dion Jordan, and Mayowa. It doesn't appear to be a "cursed" uniform number or anything, but there's plenty of room for some player to make it "his" number.

The most I think the Seahawks got out of uniform number 95 was probably Dean Wells, a linebacker who played for the Seahawks from '93 to '98 using that number.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
93 days out, let's talk about Seahawks uniform number 93.
It is currently being used by Cameron Young, a rookie DT from Mississippi State drafted in the fourth round.
Last year, it was used by Shelby Harris, who provided a nice chunk of one-season value in the Wilson trade. And the year before that, Al Woods used the number.
In terms of production while wearing number 93 for our 'Hawks, I think we're talking either about Randle (2001-2003) or Phillip Daniels ('96-'99). Randle made the Pro Bowl at age 34 in his first season with the Seahawks, so I'll put pics of him here.