Officiating

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
hawkfannj":3uxd1mfi said:
Most of our penalties come pre snap . It's kinda hard to argue them .

Of course, there's a ton they can improve upon. But are you telling me we're the most penalized team, while our opponents are the least? What are the odds of that?

Beneficiary Count
Seattle 64
Atlanta 86
N.Y. Jets 86
New England 87
Denver 87
Tennessee 89
Cleveland 90
Carolina 91
Pittsburgh 92
Detroit 94

Look at the massive gap between us and Atlanta. Last night was a perfect example. 1 accepted penalty. 1! They average 5.86 penalties a game and had 8 against the Rams a week before.

I saw holds, DPI's, roughing the passer, false starts. Not called. At this point I don't know what to make of this anymore.

Jville

Reaction score
I thought the game validated the penalty yardage against opponent and penalties against opponent graph of a couple weeks ago. Arizona is the blue dot to the left of the redskins just outside the 2 deviation ellipse .... getting help from officials. And the Seahawks are that far bottom left blue dot. Behavior of officials continues to be a concern.

Graph0

SeaTown81

Reaction score
People (both fans and media) get distracted by the number of penalties that the Seahawks commit. And miss the entire issue.

YES. The Seahawks commit a decent amount of dumb penalties. Nobody is arguing that. You could argue if the refs are looking at them so much, that they call a decent amount of ticky tack penalties on top of their dumb ones. But for the most part, the Hawks are aggressive, and they get flagged.

But that isn't the issue.

The issue is WEEK AFTER WEEK whoever the Seahawks play, according to the refs, have their most disciplined game of the season.

THE CARDINALS WERE FLAGGED ONCE!

I'm sorry. I'll take the 11 penalties on the Hawks. But you can't tell me that the Cardinals only committed 1 penalty. And on top of that, that every other team Seattle has played this season also just so happens to have their most disciplined game of the season.

Like I said, this insanely fishy trend continues to get lost because so many never get beyond "Seattle commits a lot of penalties" when entertaining the penalty difference conversation. So many (Mike Salk, chief among them) stop and put all the blame on the Hawks. They can't get over the fact that they commit so many pre-snap procedural penalties.

Here's the thing. I DON'T CARE THAT THE HAWKS ARE UNDISCIPLINED AND OVER-AGGRESSIVE! It's proven to work. I will take the flags on us. But this trend of the other team not getting called for a thing has gone on long enough this year in just about every game. The refs aren't watching the other teams at all. They're so hyper-focused on Seattle, that the other team gets a near free pass. And in the age of subjective ticky tack officiating, where fans are being conditioned to think that the slightest thing can be a penalty, this is unacceptable.

Go Hawks.

RunTheBall

Reaction score
Zero live-ball penalties on Arizona the entire game (1 obvious false start was the only penalty). Just insane, the NFL is against us repeating.

RunTheBall

Reaction score
SeaTown81":rkfwc89j said:
People (both fans and media) get distracted by the number of penalties that the Seahawks commit. And miss the entire issue.

YES. The Seahawks commit a decent amount of dumb penalties. Nobody is arguing that. You could argue if the refs are looking at them so much, that they call a decent amount of ticky tack penalties on top of their dumb ones. But for the most part, the Hawks are aggressive, and they get flagged.

The issue is WEEK AFTER WEEK whoever the Seahawks play, according to the refs, have their most disciplined game of the season.

THE CARDINALS WERE FLAGGED ONCE!

I'm sorry. I'll take the 11 penalties on the Hawks. But you can't tell me that the Cardinals only committed 1 penalty. And on top of that, that every other team Seattle has played this season also just so happens to have their most disciplined game of the season.

Like I said, this insanely fishy trend continues to get lost because so many never get beyond "Seattle commits a lot of penalties" when entertaining the penalty difference conversation. So many (Mike Salk, chief among them) stop and put all the blame on the Hawks. They can't get over the fact that they commit so many pre-snap procedural penalties.

Here's the thing. I DON'T CARE THAT THE HAWKS ARE UNDISCIPLINED AND OVER-AGGRESSIVE! It's proven to work. I will take the flags on us. But this trend of the other team not getting called for a thing has gone on long enough this year in just about every game. The refs aren't watching the other teams at all. They're so hyper-focused on Seattle, that the other team gets a near free pass. And in the age of subjective ticky tack officiating, where fans are being conditioned to think that the slightest thing can be a penalty, this is unacceptable.

Go Hawks.
Yep agree 100%, the biggest issue is the refs refusing to call anything on opposing teams, also the ~40 yard "PI" on Maxwell was a terrible call.

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
Penalties that have been called in games against Seahawks opponents: 64
Penalties total if Seahawks opponents had been called for their average every game: 86.51

It would be interesting to do this for every team and see where the Seahawks -22 stacks up against the rest of the league.

gulliver

Reaction score
SeaTown81":1iurlp2p said:

If readers don't take anything else away from this thread, *please* make it this.

This conversation has been had many times on .NET and people continually get distracted by our "avoidable pre-snap penalties" and even on the "ratios". But even the ratios aren't a good argument, because it factors in our penalties again.

Forget our penalties--focus on what is happening to our opponents... which is essentially NOTHING. This has cost us a game or better (think Baldwin DPI @KC). I mean, we're still basically a 13+ win team--the difference is, we're playing our opponent *and* the referees.

Once this story broke a couple of weeks ago, we had 2 weeks where referees put the kibosh on the outrageous anti-Seahawk officiating--almost out of embarrassment, like "OMG, people are starting to notice what we're doing." @Philly and vs. SF we got the benefit of the doubt on a few calls that we probably would have been pissed about had they gone the other way. But after we got just 2 weeks of semi-decent officiating, and after that SF hit on Russell Wilson extended the drive and we got a TD, the officials seem to have come back with a VENGEANCE in this AZ game. 1 penalty on AZ, outrageous!

As always, I am making the disclaimer that I do not believe they are singling out the Seahawks for being Seahawks--I believe they are singling us out because we're the champs, and they are ALL about parity.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":1t7melvr said:
JSeahawks":1t7melvr said:
Bennett's two straight lining up offsides must be a record. He was impressively over the line on both of them too.
On BOTH plays, the Cardinals Center picked up the ball after lining up and moved if forward to hike it at least a foot. When Bennett initially lined up, he was on-sides.
He was doing the moving of the ball all game long. I could see it from our seats .

mikeak

Reaction score
Maxwell PI was 100% correct.

You have to turn your head in the NFL. You cannot play the receivers hands. Maxwell does this over and over again. He completed the same penalty in the second half but didn't get called for it

A PI doesn't have to involve any contact with the receiver

Monistat

Reaction score
mikeak":3dw17zpm said:

You have to turn your head in the NFL. You cannot play the receivers hands. Maxwell does this over and over again. He completed the same penalty in the second half but didn't get called for it

I agree 100%. I love Max but he seems to never turn his head around in time.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
mikeak":373156bs said:

Maxwell had his head around while the ball was in the air. There was equal hand fighting on both sides. It was a terrible call.

The defensive holding call on him was even worse.

Largent80

Reaction score
After watching this league for 56 years I can safely say,

the refs are the worst ALL TIME.

The Rules are the worst ALL TIME.

The refs trying to enforce these new rules? = So far...Inept, stupid, blind, and ridiculous come to mind.

So....All Time Worst. Way to go clown shoes wearing jackhammering douchenozzle snorting Gastrointestinal disease fostering dudes that only WISHED they could actually play the game.

Ummm....Holy Shit, Where's the Tylenol?

[youtube]TQXuazYI_YU[/youtube]

TriCHawk

Reaction score
vonstout":2wyahke8 said:
Two plays that pissed me off that nobody has mentioned:

1. RW getting speared in the chest and the guy drove him to the ground and landed on him with all his weight. It wasn't like the guy had time to stop, but the ball was long gone when he launched and I've seen a lot less get flagged. It took RW a couple of seconds to get up from ..... and no flag. I tried finding a video of it, but couldn't.

I was surprised this wasn't called. Lead with the helmet right to the chest. That was the final play of that drive as I recall.

morgulon1

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1fgeuvpz said:
Bennett's two straight lining up offsides must be a record. He was impressively over the line on both of them too.

He seems to have done this several times this season IIRC.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3m09xyvl said:
Sports Hernia":3m09xyvl said:
scutterhawk":3m09xyvl said:
Smellyman":3m09xyvl said:
big time holding two plays in a row on Irvin....not called. they weren't questionable, they were obvious.
Yep, even my Wife was pissed about their holdings on Irvin and a few others that weren't being called.
I was busy with watching other Players on our Defense at the time, until she kept yelling at the TV, LOL, then on replay I saw what was pissing her off so much.
If we'd have lost a close game because of it (like in the past) it wouldn't have been quite so funny, eh?
You want to see a team get away with holding watch a *allas sometime. Refs flat out swallow their whistles when Jerry's kids have the ball. They also get a away with a ton of OPI.
It's going to be interesting if that manage to get by Detroit or Green Bay and matchup with us again. If you ask me too interesting for comfort.
Yeah...Like Super Bowl XL "too interesting for comfort".
The Officiating would NOT be in neutral for a game between "Goodell's -- Jerry-atrics Very Special Boys", and the "meanies Seahawks".
If it comes down to this game?, the Seahawks are going to have to take it away from the Refs and the Cowboys.

Jacknut16

Reaction score
mikeak":38fjokoa said:

Only if the player is face guarding and not looking back.

vonstout

Reaction score
Anyone watching the Bronco/Bengal game? Denver just got hit with a personal foul for driving Dalton to the ground after he threw the ball. THAT WAS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED TO RW!!!

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Did you all see the slo-mo replay of Fitzgerald getting away with a ridiculous hold? Collinsworth chuckled and said something about Fitz not liking to block, but he does it anyway. Then, when that block turned into an egregious hold Chris laughed and said something like "You gotta do everything you can, heh heh heh."

I think he was vocalizing the referees' thoughts regarding all Seahawks' opponents.

Yet any time a Seahawk makes a bit of contact announcers say, "They'll call that every time." And if it doesn't get called, we get Troy and Joe cuddling each other and crying like they just watched Terms of Endearment and ran out of cookie dough ice cream.

Latest posts