Oh My GAWD !!!! Russell tweets, whatever does he mean?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Ambrose83":2mwezrh5 said:
lukerguy":2mwezrh5 said:
I love the FO. They're so committed to what they do. They KNOW that if they pay him 25MM then the team can't win forever.

If they let him play out his ELC and tag him for two years that's about $16MM per year then they get a 3rd round comp if he walks. JS hit once, and I know he can do it again.

sorry but no, show me any team that had a elite QB is his prime and let him walk? rodgers? brees? Big Ben? the list goes on and on.. you people that think we are still a SB contender without RW are delusional at best. You do not just draft franchise QBs every draft... ask the browns, jets, titans, Bucs etc how that works out.

They're not letting him walk, they're just not paying him 25M right now when they don't have to.

If you ran a team, would you rather pay your QB an average of 16M a year for the next three years, or 25M year? That's 27M we can spend elsewhere for the next three years if Russell doesn't want to accept the offer on the table right now.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Honestly the problem goes back before Russ's contract negotiations.

How many folks were here speculating that Wilson was going to take a home town discount ? I've read people speculating 10-12 mil/year, 16 mil/year, 18 mil/year, etc. Seriously, Cutler and Dalton are making close to 18 mil/year and does anyone argue the fact that Wilson is a much more effective QB than they are ?

I think expectations were out of whack because Russ has been so selfless and team oriented. If any of us were in this position, and we were going to be able (in 1 contract) to be able to set yourself up for LIFE, set up your immediate family for life, and make your extended family at least comfortable for life, you think we'd all be rolling over and leaving 10's of millions of dollars on the table ? Especially with the leverage he has.

We just drafted Lockett. We traded for Graham, which is a QB's best friend (if you don't believe me, ask Drew how he's feeling about now). Lynch is back. We've invested in the OL. And the Seahawks haven't planned well for this, as in our best backup QB is currently unsigned and there really is no real option at backup. Without TJack, if Wilson doesn't play for whatever reason, we're SCREWED as a team. Period. He has a ton of leverage, but the Hawks also have some leverage and they're fencing right now.

And folks are nervous about it, because of the preexisting unrealistic expectations. This is about guaranteed money. Book it.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
SnoCoHawk":2h3kkaxf said:
So the only way to be grateful and respectful to Russ is to saddle the team with his gigantic salary?
Show me how much money you care and respect for me, give 'til it hurts.
I believe that RW is one of the best players that the Seahawks have ever suited up, but $eriously?

JimmyG

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":b02p4929 said:
DavidSeven":b02p4929 said:
His tweets really aren't too subtle anymore.

Earlier today:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DangeRussWilson/status/598913500757364736[/tweet]

Normally, I HATE when folks here try to interpret cryptic tweets, but this isn't really all that mysterious when you read these two together.
I think RW went with the wrong agent, a baseball agent, that is new to the NFL contracts.

If he doesn't sign an extension before the 2015 season, he'll only make 1.5 million for the 2015 season, and then be franchised for the next 2 years if still no deal is reached. This agent is costing him money as soon as this upcoming year if no extension is reached.

I hope he has his old agent on speed dial.
They simply can't go the franchising route. It's just not practical. In fact, in many ways, it would benefit Wilson tremendously. It would be a huge gamble on his part (needs to stay healthy and productive), but if that's how it played out, it would benefit him more than you think.

Think about this: Joe Flacco signed a 6 year deal worth $120M. Only $29M of that was guaranteed. His annual salaries broke down like this:
2013: $6.8M
2014: $14.8M
2015: $14.5M
2016: $28.5M
2017: $31.1M
2018: $24.7M

Two years into his deal, Flacco has counted "only" $21.6M against the cap over two years. Notice how his cap hit escalates dramatically starting in 2016. By giving him a big, long contract, they can spread the guaranteed money out over the life of a deal with a signing bonus, and backload his contract. They'll put off paying him until after the cap goes up.

Now suppose Wilson was franchised. In the first year of his contract, he'd make around $19M. In the second year of his contract, he'd be guaranteed at least a 20% raise (that's the rule for franchising two years in a row). In 2017, we'd be paying him $22.8M. For franchising him for just two years, he'd have made $41.8M (already well beyond what Flacco is guaranteed). Plus, he'd now be a free agent. He could then sign a monster contract on the open market, complete with a huge signing bonus. By the beginning of 2018, he'd have made $41.8M + $30-40M signing bonus + 6-7 year contract.

So from his perspective -- and again, it would be a gamble on his part, because he'd have to stay healthy/productive enough to still warrant a huge contract in a couple years -- it's probably not so bad. Furthermore, from our front office's perspective, it's a nightmare. How are we going to fit $41.8M in salary under the cap in 2016/2017? An extension would allow us to minimize the cap hits up front, when all of the other big contracts (Sherman, Thomas, etc) are on the books.

I can't see it happening. It would be a huge challenge for the front office and would put a big strain on our budget.

mikeak

Reaction score
Hawkpower":1wbjlz0f said:
There are a few posters here who do indeed value RW above the team. They are new to the NFL and have become star-struck and don't really get how it all works.

Wilson is a stud and I hope he stays, and I know the FO will do it in such a way that the greater good of the team is kept in mind.

Way to insult everyone that doesn't agree with how you look at things

I am not sure on your definition of value RW above the team

Do I think that he is the most important player - yes. Do I think that any NFL team can win games without a QB - no

So I don't value him more than the rest of the team combined but I sure as heck value what I believe is the number of games that you win on his back vs unknown replacment that we draft next year.......

I also value what I believe is the number of wins that he brings over a TJack and that value is higher than the added $20million that comes with it.....

Marlin Man

Reaction score
Might be time to find us a back up QB that can actually play well, in the next year or two

M.M.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Marlin Man":pa4cp4bb said:
Might be time to find us a back up QB that can actually play well, in the next year or two

M.M.

I was surprised we didn't address that this year, as it was a pretty deep draft for QB projects. My guess is if Russell doesn't sign a contract in the next 10 months, drafting a QB will be on the need list for next year's draft.

northseahawk

Reaction score
Bring Jake Locker out of retirement. I bet he could throw for 150-200 yards/game. Lynch and the D will still win us 10+ games.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
LTH":f5zph7ox said:
Well No.. Im not an NFL GM because I didnt want to do that... But I get your point...

RW is a great player but... ask the question is his value greater than the team? Is he a product of the philosophy? I cant answer that...be cause I dont know... but Im sure someone is going to rip me good and define it for me... LOL

LTH
Why yes, he is. The Myth of overpaying for a QB

Basis4day

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DangeRussWilson/status/599329110712717312[/tweet]

Clearly he's been traded. :sarcasm_on:

kearly

Reaction score
DavidSeven":32tte5c4 said:
His tweets really aren't too subtle anymore.

Earlier today:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DangeRussWilson/status/598913500757364736[/tweet]

Normally, I HATE when folks here try to interpret cryptic tweets, but this isn't really all that mysterious when you read these two together.

Passive aggressive tweets are nothing new for Russell, but I don't hold it against him at all. This is Mr. Perfect showing his human side.

I too would be upset if all I did was work ridiculous hours and achieve ridiculous results, only to be low-balled. I've heard that in baseball most GMs do what they can to avoid going to arbitration because the process involves belittling the players to gain a negotiation advantage. It's probably the same thing here, as evidenced by the content of Wilson's tweet.

I hope it's not still like this in late August.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Basis4day":316y96x8 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DangeRussWilson/status/599329110712717312[/tweet]

Clearly he's been traded. :sarcasm_on:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DangeRussWilson/status/599231364517396481[/tweet]

He's one with Tebow.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
mikeak":36eg9duc said:
Hawkpower":36eg9duc said:
There are a few posters here who do indeed value RW above the team. They are new to the NFL and have become star-struck and don't really get how it all works.

Wilson is a stud and I hope he stays, and I know the FO will do it in such a way that the greater good of the team is kept in mind.

Do I think that he is the most important player - yes. Do I think that any NFL team can win games without a QB - no

So I don't value him more than the rest of the team combined but I sure as heck value what I believe is the number of games that you win on his back vs unknown replacment that we draft next year.......

I also value what I believe is the number of wins that he brings over a TJack and that value is higher than the added $20million that comes with it.....

Insult everyone that doesnt agree with me? What are you talking about How do you even know what my viewpoint is? Did you read my second section?

There are a few posters that have been insulting all areas of the team (sans RW) on other threads, and that is what the other poster (who I was responding to btw) was talking about.

You clearly took that personally, but the comment was not aimed at you. Thanks for the lesson though.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Hawkpower":fkwekfbu said:
mikeak":fkwekfbu said:
Hawkpower":fkwekfbu said:

Insult everyone that doesnt agree with me? What are you talking about How do you even know what my viewpoint is? Did you read my second section?

There are a few posters that have been insulting all areas of the team (sans RW) on other threads, and that is what the other poster (who I was responding to btw) was talking about.

You clearly took that personally, but the comment was not aimed at you. Thanks for the lesson though.
You blatantly insulted everyone who doesn't agree with you. Don't be in denial about it. No one likes that.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":unrur7xl said:
There's a reason QB's are the highest paid players in the league: THEY'RE WORTH IT!!! 7-9 without RW. Same team one year later in the playoffs and now back to back Super Bowls.

Pat him. The cap is going up.

So just rip up his contract and give him 120 million over 4 years starting this season . That's not happening and I agree with the FO on that.