OL with best game of the year.

NINEster

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1r96cd9d said:
adeltaY":1r96cd9d said:
It sucks though because people were saying "Just give Russ a good OL and we'll destroy the league" Turns out that isn't really true.

Yeah, said this here about a month ago, but Wilson's style of play makes for a dream for an OC behind a bad O-line, but creates a lot of problems behind a good O-line.

As PFF noted in their recap, Wilson was pressured 17 times last night, and nearly half of them (8) were defensive pressures he created for himself through how he plays.

It's the only major part of his game he has yet to develop.

I wonder how Wilson compares to the average NFL QB in that respect.

And you wonder if the height thing is a part of it or not.

Seymour

Reaction score
hawknation2017":2ksbkcyd said:
Seymour":2ksbkcyd said:
Yes you are correct, Ifedi did have 3 penalties not 4. Never the less he had them (even if they were not all accepted) and it was part of his play and the oline's play. Add those to the stupid Graham penalty and you have your perfect ingredients for failure once again.

The injuries and turnovers were much more devastating to the team's chances of winning this game than the offensive line's penalties. They were going against the #1 sack team in the NFL, with one of the league's best front fours, and they played well for the most part.

I really appreciate you straightening me out there, I must have miss read the thread title. :roll:

Anthony!

Reaction score
original poster":2a13gm1q said:
Anthony!":2a13gm1q said:
and even I don't think he played that well.

I just spat coffee over my keyboard!

Hmmm I guess you have not read any of my posts about last game were I said he did not play well

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Anthony!":2g0zhyf3 said:
Spin Doctor":2g0zhyf3 said:
Anthony!":2g0zhyf3 said:
adeltaY":2g0zhyf3 said:
It was so nice to see them playing well against the best DL in the league. It sucks though because people were saying "Just give Russ a good OL and we'll destroy the league" Turns out that isn't really true..... I'm starting to think we'll never recapture that end of 2015 form on offense.

LOL yeah except while they overall played well they did not play good. Part of them playing include stupid penalties which we had a lot, and several cost us dearly. As to the end of 2015 form well the main issue is the inconsistency of play calling compared to then. During the period of time you never saw us have all go routes with nothing short of intermediate. You also did not have as many drops 3 today. We can have that but we need to decrease drops and penalties, and then call the game the same way. We have done it at times this year but not all the time.
Hmm... I think you watched a completely different game. Davis was tearing them a new one, our line had the best run blocking of the year against the number one defense. Russell Wilson had a lot of time in the pocket, despite Bevell calling literal hail marys with no outlets. The line had their best game of the season, and I think one of their best games in years. Britt, especially was doing work today.

That being said, even with the play calling working against Russ's favor, he has to be smarter than he was today. Throwing into tight double coverage is something I would expect from Rex Grossman or Jay Cutler. His accuracy was also less than desirable. He had multiple opportunities to hit deep bombs and he either missed, or just threw it into DBs hand.

Russ wasn't the sole reason we lost today, but this is definitely one of his worst games of the year. You need to learn how to call a spade a spade. Russ has a great season, but this game was flat out ugly. He got worked over, and it happens even to QB's such as Brady from time to time. This game was ugly, and Russ was one of our many problems for 85 percent of the game.

Perhaps you should rewatch the game and then look at the actual stats. rbs has 22 rushes for 81 yards. however 3o came on 2 carries, that leaves 51 yards good. on 20 carries or 2.5 ypa which is not good. a couple of good runs does not a run game make. as to the rest at least we kind of agree

Dude, do you think running backs always get the average yards per carry without the breakout runs? You HAVE to figure all runs in. Go back and take out all Lynch's runs over ten yards and see where his average turns out. Ridiculous.

Anthony!

Reaction score
johnnyfever":1745di8e said:
Anthony!":1745di8e said:
Spin Doctor":1745di8e said:
Anthony!":1745di8e said:
LOL yeah except while they overall played well they did not play good. Part of them playing include stupid penalties which we had a lot, and several cost us dearly. As to the end of 2015 form well the main issue is the inconsistency of play calling compared to then. During the period of time you never saw us have all go routes with nothing short of intermediate. You also did not have as many drops 3 today. We can have that but we need to decrease drops and penalties, and then call the game the same way. We have done it at times this year but not all the time.
Hmm... I think you watched a completely different game. Davis was tearing them a new one, our line had the best run blocking of the year against the number one defense. Russell Wilson had a lot of time in the pocket, despite Bevell calling literal hail marys with no outlets. The line had their best game of the season, and I think one of their best games in years. Britt, especially was doing work today.

That being said, even with the play calling working against Russ's favor, he has to be smarter than he was today. Throwing into tight double coverage is something I would expect from Rex Grossman or Jay Cutler. His accuracy was also less than desirable. He had multiple opportunities to hit deep bombs and he either missed, or just threw it into DBs hand.

Russ wasn't the sole reason we lost today, but this is definitely one of his worst games of the year. You need to learn how to call a spade a spade. Russ has a great season, but this game was flat out ugly. He got worked over, and it happens even to QB's such as Brady from time to time. This game was ugly, and Russ was one of our many problems for 85 percent of the game.

Perhaps you should rewatch the game and then look at the actual stats. rbs has 22 rushes for 81 yards. however 3o came on 2 carries, that leaves 51 yards good. on 20 carries or 2.5 ypa which is not good. a couple of good runs does not a run game make. as to the rest at least we kind of agree

Dude, do you think running backs always get the average yards per carry without the breakout runs? You HAVE to figure all runs in. Go back and take out all Lynch's runs over ten yards and see where his average turns out. Ridiculous.

okay I will play your gamehis last regular season game he played he got 18 carries for 73 yards and avg 4.1 ypa, However 22 came on 2 carries so he had 16 carries for 51 yards for 3.2 ypa, hmm way better than 2.5. Now lets look at another game were he avg over 4 ypa, he has 122 yards on 27 carries for 4.5 ypa. however, 30 came on 2 carries so we are left with 92 on 25 which is 3.68 ypa again good. See the thing is having to big runs is okay as long as you avg over 3 on the rest, but under 3 that's a problem. We need consistency not a bunch of 1 or less yard runs around 1 for 30.

907Hawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":3trp3el4 said:
adeltaY":3trp3el4 said:
It was so nice to see them playing well against the best DL in the league. It sucks though because people were saying "Just give Russ a good OL and we'll destroy the league" Turns out that isn't really true..... I'm starting to think we'll never recapture that end of 2015 form on offense.

3 Interceptions by Russel Wilson, why can't you say it. You love to talk about him as a god, its Russ all day everyday but all of the sudden its dropped passes penalties, but no mention of 3 picks. LOL

Anthony!

Reaction score
907Hawk":2uosf7wy said:
Anthony!":2uosf7wy said:
adeltaY":2uosf7wy said:

3 Interceptions by Russel Wilson, why can't you say it. You love to talk about him as a god, its Russ all day everyday but all of the sudden its dropped passes penalties, but no mention of 3 picks. LOL

well for one read the actual thread and read what I replied to. Now if you want to talk about Wilsons 3 ints we can, or that he did not play well we can, because he did not, but that was not what the subject or my reply was about. Maybe you should go into the other threads where this is discussed and I say he did not play well. My response was to a generalized statement which was wrong, not to a specific statement about the ints or how Wilson played. But thanks for playing

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
In the protection department, it was a good game for the OL. Wilson was pressured a bit, but nothing like the George-Fant-against-Markus-Golden days of yore. Given this was on the road, against a good defensive line, on a day when Bevell slipped back into his "nothin' but 4-verts" philosophy, it was a much, much starker test of the OL than any of the last three weeks. Perhaps Marrone was game-planning for what they saw Seattle do to the Eagles (i.e. quick passes, etc.).

In the running department, I'd have to give a mixed grade. The big runs at the end of the half don't get too much weight, given that they came against a defense that was running prevent in acknowledgement of the two-minute warning. Much of the rest of the time, Davis was getting nothing in the way of creases. He did get some. It was a bit boom-or-bust.

In the penalties department - ick. There was this weird narrative the last few weeks that Ifedi had turned a corner. Hopefully people can see now that we simply drew officiating crews that were generous to holds. Those penalties were killer.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Definitely was a much better overall performance for the O Line, and considering who they were going against, that's promising. They just beat themselves as a team. The Hawks are undefeated vs. the Hawks.
Oh well, on to Sunday, playing for the Division lead.