One person dead, multiple injured at Chiefs' Super Bowl parade

GemCity

Reaction score
I don’t want to get too much into the 2nd Amendment as I’m a supporter of it. There are a few times in my life where I’ve needed a firearm and was fortunate to be carrying (which is all the time when in public). I’d gladly lock my guns up in an armory if there was a guarantee that the ‘bad guys’ didn’t have them but, that’s a moot point.

We can’t make sensible gun laws because one side or the other takes it too far. I’m neutral and don’t subscribe to one political party or the other…I just want the best candidate to win even if it means I don’t agree with all of their viewpoints.

The immediate reaction is “ban guns”. Historically speaking, that’s a terrible idea. It’s similar to the illegal ATF ruling about AR pistols. I had to convert five of mine to SBRs and have to carry a form on me when I take them out. I don’t know if many criminals that did/ do the same.

Many drugs are illegal and kill way more people. Yet, we still have that problem.

I don’t have an answer. I do think we need more focus on mental health. The 18 year old kid that just graduated, doesn’t have a pot to piss in and has written memoirs about offing people…yah…no..he’s not the guy I want to have access to a firearm.

A few years back, an addict tried to break into my home. My wife and two young kids were present. It took the police 18 minutes to arrive. I had a 9mm pistol pointed at him along with a 1000 lumen light shining right in his eyes. He was so out of it, nothing fazed him. I don’t think I would’ve been near as calm and collected had I not had a gun.

Anyways…I said I didn’t want to get too far into it but…

Society has become somewhat desensitized to things. How many of us with children get scared shitless when we hear of a school shooting?

What happened in KC was nuts. Those folks are in my prayers.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I don’t want to get too much into the 2nd Amendment as I’m a supporter of it. There are a few times in my life where I’ve needed a firearm and was fortunate to be carrying (which is all the time when in public). I’d gladly lock my guns up in an armory if there was a guarantee that the ‘bad guys’ didn’t have them but, that’s a moot point.

We can’t make sensible gun laws because one side or the other takes it too far. I’m neutral and don’t subscribe to one political party or the other…I just want the best candidate to win even if it means I don’t agree with all of their viewpoints.

The immediate reaction is “ban guns”. Historically speaking, that’s a terrible idea. It’s similar to the illegal ATF ruling about AR pistols. I had to convert five of mine to SBRs and have to carry a form on me when I take them out. I don’t know if many criminals that did/ do the same.

Many drugs are illegal and kill way more people. Yet, we still have that problem.

I don’t have an answer. I do think we need more focus on mental health. The 18 year old kid that just graduated, doesn’t have a pot to piss in and has written memoirs about offing people…yah…no..he’s not the guy I want to have access to a firearm.

A few years back, an addict tried to break into my home. My wife and two young kids were present. It took the police 18 minutes to arrive. I had a 9mm pistol pointed at him along with a 1000 lumen light shining right in his eyes. He was so out of it, nothing fazed him. I don’t think I would’ve been near as calm and collected had I not had a gun.

Anyways…I said I didn’t want to get too far into it but…

Society has become somewhat desensitized to things. How many of us with children get scared shitless when we hear of a school shooting?

What happened in KC was nuts. Those folks are in my prayers.

Sorry you went through that Gem. Horrifying to say the least.

Like you, I don't want to get into the politics of it all as I see all sides of the argument. Yes I carry, but I have never even been close to any type of an incident. I would never try to be some kind of a hero either. As a matter of fact, I would gladly take an ass beating before I would ever pull a weapon. The only reason I would ever pull a weapon is if my family or I were in danger. I just want a fighting chance. That's all. It's terrible that the world has come to this, but it's reality. Society has changed.

I have no words for the tragedy that happened in KC and all I can do is pray for those involved.

GemCity

Reaction score
Sorry you went through that Gem. Horrifying to say the least.

Like you, I don't want to get into the politics of it all as I see all sides of the argument. Yes I carry, but I have never even been close to any type of an incident. I would never try to be some kind of a hero either. As a matter of fact, I would gladly take an ass beating before I would ever pull a weapon. The only reason I would ever pull a weapon is if my family or I were in danger. I just want a fighting chance. That's all. It's terrible that the world has come to this, but it's reality. Society has changed.

I have no words for the tragedy that happened in KC and all I can do is pray for those involved.
Thanks Pitt.

Same here. I won’t pull a gun out unless mine or my families lives are in danger.

I don’t consider it to be a ‘cool’ thing. I’d rather people not know I have one.

WarHawks

Reaction score
This seems to be endemic to us unfortunately, and is not a problem in other countries with just as many or more people than us. Heavy sigh.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
This seems to be endemic to us unfortunately, and is not a problem in other countries with just as many or more people than us. Heavy sigh.

The odds of dying in a mass shooting for an entire lifetime in America is about 0.0001%.

Pretty damn low. We should celebrate.

WarHawks

Reaction score
The odds of dying in a mass shooting for an entire lifetime in America is about 0.0001%.

Pretty damn low. We should celebrate.
True, but not much comfort, and hard to celebrate if you're one of the .0001%, or have a family member who is.

Last edited:

chris98251

Reaction score
Desensitized is accurate for a few reasons, lack of social exposure as well, people don't know how to interact, respect personal space, property, values. It comes back to non interaction, we use phones and video games and social pages. You can be whatever your imagination comes up with, nobody is the wiser unless you physically meet.

It's one big mess really. Not going to get better with everyone moving to AI's going forward, we will be led by the nose to whatever the programs decide and are programmed to trust it, look around and you see the push everywhere.

Get in the real world and it is overwhelming for many people now when encountering situations that are not in their normal functional platforms. Reading a situation and awareness is hardly there, drive your car down the road and people are glued to their phones and will walk right out in front of you trusting you see them.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
AI can prevent these mass shootings from happening, easily, but it does require tracking people's data, which has already happened. So...

Leaving it right there :)

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Is this confirmed? I have to careful here as to not get a timeout again.
No, community notes on the link indicate it’s a common joke / hoax.

Two of the suspects have already been identified as minors. Likely this was a gang beef and unlikely it was a planned event. The only thing causing suspicion for me is that at least one perp was carrying what looks like a SBR. If that’s his EDC…😳

cymatica

Reaction score
Sad it has come to this. Mass shootings are a part of everyday life in America.
Everyday life? No, but it is indictive of a societal problem. Broken families, high drug use, too much screen time, no sense of community, lack of respect for others, light sentences for criminals. These are all contributing factors to the moral decay. Passing more gun laws aren't the solution.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FlayvaMeister

FlayvaMeister

Reaction score
Is this confirmed? I have to careful here so as to not get a timeout again.

Upon further research here's what if found:

"Sahil Omar" is a hoax, false suspect name that has become a meme to post when a suspect's name is not known.
Recent examples include:- UNLV Shooting- Fort Worth, Texas hotel explosion- the Niagra Falls Bridge car crash"

The real Sahil Omar died 5 years ago according to online information.
Since the FBI is involved, I don't expect any immediate information to be released, unless there is ironclad proof of
identity.

It's my belief it will take some time before we know more about the 3 persons being detained. There's still doubt as
to whether it was gang-related, a single entity, or an organised group of people with an agenda.

The local news agencies in Kansas City, have posted the usual Hotline telephone numbers citizens can call to share
any information or video footage captured during the shooting. Beyond that, nothing much has changed that I could
find.

ccla

Reaction score
There's just too many people in this country. Need to get the population down to about 125 million again.

This country? Try the World!!!

We built an economic system that is totally reliant on population (and therefore consumption) growth.
For one thing (and it is a big one), how are you going to support retirees that nowadays live well in their eighties if not their nineties with a pay as you go system if the population does not grow?

fenderbender123

Reaction score
This country? Try the World!!!

We built an economic system that is totally reliant on population (and therefore consumption) growth.
For one thing (and it is a big one), how are you going to support retirees that nowadays live well in their eighties if not their nineties with a pay as you go system if the population does not grow?

Here's how I see it. If people stop having so many babies, then they don't have to spend so much time, resources, and money raising them, and therefore there will be more of those things available to retire with.

ccla

Reaction score
Here's how I see it. If people stop having so many babies, then they don't have to spend so much time, resources, and money raising them, and therefore there will be more of those things available to retire with.

Maybe, more likely is we will waste more money on unnecessary things!

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
Everyday life? No, but it is indictive of a societal problem. Broken families, high drug use, too much screen time, no sense of community, lack of respect for others, light sentences for criminals. These are all contributing factors to the moral decay. Passing more gun laws aren't the solution.
I’d still argue everyday. It’s not like the day after a shooting occurs it just goes away. The fodder remains.