One point that works in DQ's favor

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
The problem with going Defensive coach at head coach is OC's if they do well are getting picked off. Everyone in here hated Waldron(I don't personally but I get it) and he's drawing interest. The plus of picking an offensive minded coach is you lock him up. I just don't see Quinn after getting torched this year by the teams you're competing against in your own division, it just seems odd. I think JS wants to put his name to something since he is finally getting his chance and he will. I'm just guessing like everyone else but I will be shocked if its Quinn now.
This is kind of cyclical, though. Belichick, Carroll, Tomlin were all DCs. Right now, hot shot OCs are all the rage for head coaches but will that still be the case 2 to 5 years from now? Who knows.

knownone

Reaction score
The problem with going Defensive coach at head coach is OC's if they do well are getting picked off. Everyone in here hated Waldron(I don't personally but I get it) and he's drawing interest. The plus of picking an offensive minded coach is you lock him up. I just don't see Quinn after getting torched this year by the teams you're competing against in your own division, it just seems odd. I think JS wants to put his name to something since he is finally getting his chance and he will. I'm just guessing like everyone else but I will be shocked if its Quinn now.
I'm with you on Waldron. He wasn't spectacular, but he wasn't nearly as bad as some people made him out to be.

renofox

Reaction score
Welp after the list of who they've requested I was wrong lol. I have no clue who they will pick.

One thing that isn't mentioned enough is building a staff. Some guys seem great on paper but may struggle to put a staff together which is a plus for guys like Quinn and Morris. I still don't think its Quinn but that may be wishful thinking.
And the quicker they get the HC hired the larger the candidate pool for coordinators and assistants will be.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
This is kind of cyclical, though. Belichick, Carroll, Tomlin were all DCs. Right now, hot shot OCs are all the rage for head coaches but will that still be the case 2 to 5 years from now? Who knows.
The NFL keeps getting rule changes that neuter the defense. I’d bet on the offensive guys in this day and age.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
The NFL keeps getting rule changes that neuter the defense. I’d bet on the offensive guys in this day and age.
Yeah, but that has been happening since the invention of the forward pass.

Being given free rule advantages could arguably make the need for a 'creative' offensive mind less valuable than a defensive one who knows how to scheme a defense to neutralize those inherent advantages.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Yeah, but that has been happening since the invention of the forward pass.

Being given free rule advantages could arguably make the need for a 'creative' offensive mind less valuable than a defensive one who knows how to scheme a defense to neutralize those inherent advantages.
Many of those creative defensive innovations have come from coaches that were mediocre head coaches.

The current defensive meta proliferating around the NFL came from guys like Vic Fangio and Brian Flores.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Many of those creative defensive innovations have come from coaches that were mediocre head coaches.

The current defensive meta proliferating around the NFL came from guys like Vic Fangio and Brian Flores.
That's great but the group of head coaches who I highlighted are all guaranteed HOF'ers were all defensive coordinators who made an impact. It's not always OCs regardless of the NFL's inexorable march to make playing offense easier and easier.

Fangio and Flores might stink as head coaches and may never get another shot but it's not guaranteed that OCs are going to be the flavor of the week going forward.

hawks85

Reaction score
I'd love that hire MM and I'm a defense guy as well but whoever it is
has to hit on the OC pick .. No more steady 3 and outs killing the D.
Yup. I read somewhere, I think on this forum that the Seahawks want to hire two HC's, 1 for the offense and the other one for defense. I never heard of that before. Why would someone hire 2 HC's to begin with? that makes no sense.

Seahawker

Reaction score
Yup. I read somewhere, I think on this forum that the Seahawks want to hire two HC's, 1 for the offense and the other one for defense. I never heard of that before. Why would someone hire 2 HC's to begin with? that makes no sense.
It might be fun to watch, lol.
Images 1

LastRideOut

Reaction score
Quinn got blown out by Lafleur, McDaniel, and Kyle this year. Hell, Waldron even got him some.

I was cool with Quinn being coach until Lafleur absolutely embarrassed him in the playoffs.

Quinn is better than old man Pete. As he would hire better coaches, and the team would generate more turnovers on defense, but at this point he would be a disappointing hire.
One game changed your opinion of DQ as coach?

Wow. I never wanted DQ. One game wouldn't have changed that, even if Cowboys hung a goose egg on the Packers.

chrispy

Reaction score
Everyone keeps talking about young Offensive coaches...McVay, Shanahan, McDaniel.... I'd really like a Dan Campbell clone. I'm a fan since the Hard Knocks preseason series.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
That's great but the group of head coaches who I highlighted are all guaranteed HOF'ers were all defensive coordinators who made an impact. It's not always OCs regardless of the NFL's inexorable march to make playing offense easier and easier.

Fangio and Flores might stink as head coaches and may never get another shot but it's not guaranteed that OCs are going to be the flavor of the week going forward.
The only guaranteed HOFer in that group is Billichick. For coaches it's extremely hard to get an HOF opportunity. Mike Holmgren is still waiting despite having a better career win percentage, better postseason record and more Super Bowl appearances than both Carroll and Tomlin.

I'm not saying defensive minds can't be good HC's, there are many good defensive oriented HC's. If we look at recent Super Bowl trends, The last 4/5 Super bowls have been won by more offensive oriented HC's. The last four of the Superbowls have had offensive minded HC's on both of the teams.

This season, if we look at the playoff picture 8/12 of the teams competing this week were headed by offensive minds. Defensive oriented HC's can be and are also successful, but the skew has definitely been towards offensive oriented guys in recent years.

Now, at the end of the day the main thing is: how good of a manager is the guy? This is the real kicker here.

Managing big personalities, crafting culture and surrounding yourself with the right staff is extremely important. If you're good at these aspects and have good situational awareness, you don't even need to be a brilliant play caller. It isn't uncommon to see HC's not call offense or defense.

You need to have the vision, culture and people management skills above all else. This is why guys such as Josh McDaniels are great OC's, but AWFUL at HC. In the case of McDaniels, he doesn't have any of those skills.

Fade

Reaction score
One game changed your opinion of DQ as coach?

Wow. I never wanted DQ. One game wouldn't have changed that, even if Cowboys hung a goose egg on the Packers.
No, it's the overall body of work against Shanny/McVay style offenses.

The Packers game was just the cherry on top of the sheet sundae 🍨 for Dan Queen. You wanna eat that?

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
I'm not saying defensive minds can't be good HC's, there are many good defensive oriented HC's. If we look at recent Super Bowl trends, The last 4/5 Super bowls have been won by more offensive oriented HC's. The last four of the Superbowls have had offensive minded HC's on both of the teams.
Yes, current Super Bowl trend--which I didn't argue. The 4 Super Bowl's previous to that were almost exclusively the opposite in terms of having almost exclusively defensive minded HCs.

This is my whole point: Young, creative OCs are the en vogue choice for head coaches now. That doesn't mean it will be 2 or 3 years from now. Picking an OC for the 'benefit' of not having them get snatched up by another team won't be a benefit if the meta changes, which it often does in the NFL.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
They’ve already settled on DQ I bet. Had Dallas top 5 in total D, top 5 against the pass. Schneider I’m sure has already a great relationship with DQ. So they got embarrassed by Green Bay at home. They ran into a buzz saw and couldn’t recover. Too many mistakes offensively, pick six by Dak is hardly Quinn’s fault

Latest posts