One realistic addition to our team

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Walter Thurmond . . . he should be fully recovered from the torn pectoral he suffered last September. But the injury is enough to devalue him to the point where we should be able to sign him at a bargain. His four-game suspension is out of the way and his use of marijuana may have been a one-off thing that he will be more careful about in the future.

He can start at the nickel and Lane can move outside, giving us much needed depth along with Simon and Burley. Thurmond grew up in this system and knows it like the back of his hand.

Keep the L.O.B. going strong.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
morgulon1":3nn8r3xu said:
hangumhi":3nn8r3xu said:
Erebus":3nn8r3xu said:
Why trade picks to take on an old player with a problematic contract?

I'd rather see what we have with Matthews for a full year.

Ditto. Chasing wide receivers with money at this point is asking for trouble. There were far too many times throughout this year when Wilson had to take quick sacks because he couldn't even set his feet on his drop back. Don't make the same mistake a lot of GM's make which is spend a ton of money on skills players without shoring up your O line. Go out and spend money on an O line and you'll see how vastly Richardson, Matthews, Baldwin and Norwood are going to improve.

Besides Baldwin might get angry and take a dump in the end zone.
And all of the folks with poor parenting skills would get upset, again.

Chawks1

Reaction score
Hawk-A-Loogie":2krixfe1 said:
I think the only WR that would come here and fit perfectly and is willing to buy into the philosophy team first is Larry Fitzgerald.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 1,175

ludakrishna

Reaction score
Walter Thurmond. He left because he wasn't guaranteed a starting role. With Maxwell all but gone, I would love to get Thurmond back.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
ludakrishna":3hz7o0uu said:
Walter Thurmond. He left because he wasn't guaranteed a starting role. With Maxwell all but gone, I would love to get Thurmond back.

Yup, he's my choice too. He should be looking for a 1 year prove it contract. If he can win the starting spot here he will be primed to shine

SirTed

Reaction score
Honest question -

How realistic is the Fitz thing? I know he's maybe going to be cut, but maybe restructured. To say nothing of other teams pursuing him. I agree that a big bodied type is what we really need. How great would it be if Matthews was that dude? I loved the signing, and when he didn't make any impact in 2 seasons, I thought it was a swing and a miss.

Also - I totally agree on Jermaine Gresham. I know a few Bengal fans who can't wait for that dude to be gone, but he looks like a freaking STUD to me. Don't know what the $$ would be, and how redundant he'd be with Miller / Willlllllson but I dig em.

rideaducati

Reaction score
SirTed":6wxsb59y said:
Honest question -

How realistic is the Fitz thing? I know he's maybe going to be cut, but maybe restructured. To say nothing of other teams pursuing him. I agree that a big bodied type is what we really need. How great would it be if Matthews was that dude? I loved the signing, and when he didn't make any impact in 2 seasons, I thought it was a swing and a miss.

Also - I totally agree on Jermaine Gresham. I know a few Bengal fans who can't wait for that dude to be gone, but he looks like a freaking STUD to me. Don't know what the $$ would be, and how redundant he'd be with Miller / Willlllllson but I dig em.

The Cards are more than $10 million OVER next season's cap and have seventeen free agents that don't even count towards next season's cap.

cacksman

Reaction score
hangumhi":2dupo7ll said:
Erebus":2dupo7ll said:
Why trade picks to take on an old player with a problematic contract?

I'd rather see what we have with Matthews for a full year.

Ditto. Chasing wide receivers with money at this point is asking for trouble. There were far too many times throughout this year when Wilson had to take quick sacks because he couldn't even set his feet on his drop back. Don't make the same mistake a lot of GM's make which is spend a ton of money on skills players without shoring up your O line. Go out and spend money on an O line and you'll see how vastly Richardson, Matthews, Baldwin and Norwood are going to improve.

Great, let's see the list of free agents you would rather spend money on to "shore up" the o-line. I'll wait.

randomation

Reaction score
Fitz, also after Andre Johnson is cut as a cap casualty I bet he would come here cheap for a chance at a ring.

SirTed

Reaction score
rideaducati":2tj80ziy said:
The Cards are more than $10 million OVER next season's cap and have seventeen free agents that don't even count towards next season's cap.

I understand the Cards are having cap problems, but that's only the first part of it. I'm willing to assume he'll be cut, even though I think there's a chance he just restructures. But let's say he gets cut -

1. What are the indications that he would choose Seattle over another contender?
2. What would it realistically cost us? Can we afford it?

I'm not necessarily doubting the possibility - I just really want to know if it's something that realistically could happen, or is it more in line with the Suh, fantasy stuff.

I think a lot of people are hoping / assuming that Fitz is down to move up here to Seattle and play for virtually for free if he gets a chance to win. Maybe he will - but it's also possible to likely that he'll ask for every last $ possible.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SirTed":33020cqj said:
1. What are the indications that he would choose Seattle over another contender?
2. What would it realistically cost us? Can we afford it?

1. Of course there's not guarantee Fitzgerald would sign with us, but when you're a 31 year old WR that's craving a SB ring, there's only a handful of teams you'd consider signing with, and Seattle's #1 with a bullet.........especially when he's already friends with a lot of the Hawks, including Sherman who he's played at his charity softball game two years in a row now.

2. My guess is somewhere in the 5-7M a year range, maybe on a two year deal.

The question for Fitzgerald is does he want to try and poach a ring, which a LOT of proud veteran stars are adverse to. It's a pride thing, they want to win with their longtime team, or they don't want to win at all.

If he's cool with going to a new team to try and get that ring? Then he tell the Cards he's done. If he feels he owes the Cards to try and make a run with them? Then he renegotiates his contract to a manageable number that'll make the team happy to keep him.

Sac

Reaction score
Fitz is a marvel, and incredibly healthy. He could probably play another three-four years. Especially if he had a real QB. He'd almost always be open.

ivotuk

Reaction score
mistaowen":ubs3asa1 said:
Who is one player you feel would immediately improve our team while being a realistic off season addition? I would LOVE Suh but I seriously doubt he turns down a contract from a team like the Raiders who can throw endless money at him.

For me, I think Vincent Jackson would be a huge addition to our team and should only cost a mid rounder or two. His contract is a bit problematic but I'd hope the shot at winning a ring at this point in his career would outweigh another big contract. I know JS/PC wanted him before he chose Tampa which has to be depressing for him. His skill set is something we seriously lack on offense and even with bad QB play he has consistently put up good numbers. Russell showed how beautiful of a deep ball he can throw to Chris Matthews.....

I think Brandon Marshall would be an awesome get as well but I bet a team will throw a ton of money at him if the Bears don't make an effort for him.

I love Vincent Jackson! He's been so solid, year in and year out that I think he can still play at a high level for a couple more years. Especially since he wouldn't be getting so many reps. And he's blocked for some good RBs, LaDanian Tomlinson for one.

We have 11 draft picks this year, and not one are as sure fire as it would be if used on Vincent Jackson because he would for sure make the team.

marko358

Reaction score
ivotuk":21z1lw6o said:
We have 11 draft picks this year, and not one are as sure fire as it would be if used on Vincent Jackson because he would for sure make the team.

The folks live-tweeting the Schneider interview this morning were all saying 10 picks, not 11.

DJrmb

Reaction score
marko358":3l3p6nty said:
ivotuk":3l3p6nty said:

The folks live-tweeting the Schneider interview this morning were all saying 10 picks, not 11.

It depends on the Comp picks from players we let go (Clem, Red, Tate). It's basically guaranteed 10 but possibly up to 11 picks...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ivotuk":3i9hkmmh said:
I love Vincent Jackson! He's been so solid, year in and year out that I think he can still play at a high level for a couple more years. Especially since he wouldn't be getting so many reps. And he's blocked for some good RBs, LaDanian Tomlinson for one.

Jackson's still under contract for two more years at a manageable cap number (11M per year), so highly doubtful the Bucs would trade him.

Maybe if they're out of it again by the trade deadline, but I doubt now while they're trying to rebuild and sell season tickets.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I'd love to see if we can get the pass rush back to 2013's dominating rotation. I'd love to see a Derek Morgan brought in to add to Bennett and Avril. Or Stephen Paea for some inside push.

Latest posts