One-sided referees calling non-existent penalties...

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
classicaaron":29hcnxd5 said:
those hands to the face penalties on Coleman were a complete joke. and yes the pass interference penalties were absurd. Seattle got called everytime for the same physicality that Arizona was doing but yet I don't think got called once. if your going to be ticky tack at least be consistent for both team. id rather just have the no calls for both teams unless the penalties are egregious to keep the flow of the game going.

but watching this I almost felt like the refs knew they could get away with overly penalizing Seattle just because it fit the narrative of most penalized team in the league and no one would notice it in the box score when trying to keep the game close.

I think you nailed it.

Some of the calls (RW being yanked down by his facemask right in front of the back judge was my fave) were complete BS.

Others were technically correct (maybe), but all ref decisions are based on interpretation and application.

I hate to complain - but that was some serious misinterpretation and biased application. If it was any other team playing, I would have rather let my wife turn on a Lifetime movie.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Seanhawk":q3tv5ro9 said:
hawkcrazzed":q3tv5ro9 said:
when the player hit russ with the crown of his helmet and wasn't warned or ejected I was done

Just curious, when a Seahawk player (can't recall who) hit Kirk Cousins the same way last week, did you want him ejected too?

There is always one contrarian just for the sake of it. It was a poorly officiated game regardless of the outcome.

classicaaron

Reaction score
and I completely forget about the fumble that they called a dropped pass. since when does taking 3 steps with the ball tucked under your arm and then diving forward while maintaining possession not equal a catch. if that was a goal line play and he ran 3 yards and dove for the pile on and then dropped the ball when hitting the ground it would have clearly been called a touchdown. one of the worst calls I have seen since SB 40.

Hawksfan78

Reaction score
No one has mentioned the catch by Ellington when he took four steps; fumbled and we recovered the ball. All of a sudden he didn’t catch the ball...

Anajimmc

Reaction score
Completely uneven officiating, Seahawk DB in the neighborhood of Cards receiver is PI, Card DB tackling Hawk receiver before catch not PI. Seahawk DB looks at facemask of Card of receiver is hands to the face. Catch the ball, no bobbling, take 3 steps, gain 5+ yards of field position fall down without contact, lose control of the ball, recover by Seahawk - Ruling incomplete pass, SMH.

mikeak

Reaction score
Hawksfan78":2j7ekxw9 said:
No one has mentioned the catch by Ellington when he took four steps; fumbled and we recovered the ball. All of a sudden he didn’t catch the ball...

Complaining about officiating followed by proof that you don't understand the NFL rules is not a good way to build an argument.

The incomplete was 100% correct according to the rules.

He is a receiver and his body is completely and definitely going towards the ground when he catches the ball. At that point the number of steps are irrelevant. If he does not maintain possession as he hits the ground alternatively manages to stay upright then it is NOT a completion. You can dislike it all you want (Dez Bryant does) but it was the correct call

StoneCold

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":i6qo5s2n said:
mikeak":i6qo5s2n said:
Most of the penalties were correct. Bothered me more that it didn't seem like they called them on Arizona when they did the same.

First possession major face mask on RW
Push in the back on the TD by Arizona
One PI on Griffin was wrong

Agreed on all of these, sir. That's how I saw them too.

Disagree on all of these though a rewatch may change that. If the PI on Shaq a penalty then several others on Lockett and Doug were also. I thought it was an incredible play and he got a hand on the ball. Face mask was all shoulder pad. The hands to the face was a phantom call as well. Pissed me off.

Glad we won, but screw Thursday Night Football. Needs to be changed, bye week before, limited number of games or eliminated entirely. My brother said he had read talk of adding a second bye week to accommodate TNF. I would go for that.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
They called 12 penalties on Seattle to 9 on Arizona....not that big a discrepancy.

And AZ was flagged on what seemed like every punt return..

Arizona's TD drive where Seattle was flagged multiple times were all correct calls IMO.

I was surprised that Arizona wasn't flagged much defensively with Wilson running around for 5-10 seconds (how could a DB not grab a WR in that situation?)

At the end of the day though, if there's one thing Arizona needed to win the game, it was field position. The flag for holding directly led to the safety, and on many occasions set them back. I would probably feel the same way if I were you guys, because it did seem like Arizona was getting away with some things they were calling on Seattle, but 12-9 isn't bad - and those holding calls on punt returns were probably the worst thing for Arizona.

ducks41468

Reaction score
My biggest issue with the penalties is that they were mostly of the bailout variety. I think 5 out of the 6 penalty first downs were on incomplete passes thrown on third down. I can understand early down penalties or obvious stuff, but ticky tack calls on 3rd down plays that the opposing team almost certainly wouldn't have ever converted is just rubbing it in.

mikeak

Reaction score
StoneCold":17ak3bge said:
Ad Hawk":17ak3bge said:
mikeak":17ak3bge said:
Most of the penalties were correct. Bothered me more that it didn't seem like they called them on Arizona when they did the same.

First possession major face mask on RW
Push in the back on the TD by Arizona
One PI on Griffin was wrong

Agreed on all of these, sir. That's how I saw them too.

Disagree on all of these though a rewatch may change that. If the PI on Shaq a penalty then several others on Lockett and Doug were also. I thought it was an incredible play and he got a hand on the ball. Face mask was all shoulder pad. The hands to the face was a phantom call as well. Pissed me off.

Glad we won, but screw Thursday Night Football. Needs to be changed, bye week before, limited number of games or eliminated entirely. My brother said he had read talk of adding a second bye week to accommodate TNF. I would go for that.

1) The facemask I note is on RW - first series. His head was pulled straight down

2) I think you are thinking of the one on Stanton. Watching it live looked like all shoulder pad but in the replay it is clear it was face mask

I said PI was not correct and you say it is not correct - so we agree

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Ramfan128":2q6t70vb said:
They called 12 penalties on Seattle to 9 on Arizona....not that big a discrepancy.

Arizona's TD drive where Seattle was flagged multiple times were all correct calls IMO.

I was surprised that Arizona wasn't flagged much defensively with Wilson running around for 5-10 seconds (how could a DB not grab a WR in that situation?)

At the end of the day though, if there's one thing Arizona needed to win the game, it was field position. The flag for holding directly led to the safety, and on many occasions set them back. I would probably feel the same way if I were you guys, because it did seem like Arizona was getting away with some things they were calling on Seattle, but 12-9 isn't bad - and those holding calls on punt returns were probably the worst thing for Arizona.

Well your opinion is wrong. And the timing of the calls is what adds to the suspicion

The hands to the face calls on Coleman were phantom.

The PI was horrific, especially in light of the physicality they allowed AZ to get away with.

We know you were pulling hard for AZ last night, but dont let that cloud your judgement.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
mikeak":14rleut7 said:
Hawksfan78":14rleut7 said:

Complaining about officiating followed by proof that you don't understand the NFL rules is not a good way to build an argument.

The incomplete was 100% correct according to the rules.

He is a receiver and his body is completely and definitely going towards the ground when he catches the ball. At that point the number of steps are irrelevant. If he does not maintain possession as he hits the ground alternatively manages to stay upright then it is NOT a completion. You can dislike it all you want (Dez Bryant does) but it was the correct call

Your first sentence is where many people could choose to disagree with you. That was the matter of discussion on the broadcast and the announcers noted that it could be (and clearly was) the final interpretation, but that doesnt mean it was clear cut or the right call.

Considering the officiating last night, how much trust do you put in the final verdict? And considering how close the play was, calling people out as if were a simple black and white interpretation seems unnecessary.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Ramfan128":enenxpoj said:

The blocker mauled the gunner all the way down the field, often stretching his jersey out and then tackled him and it still took the officials a while to throw the flag.

LITP

Reaction score
As a Patriots fan (boo hiss!) i've noticed the Seahawks getting hosed on a regular basis in terms of officiating.

As one of the more physical teams in the league, I think their card is marked (unfairly) by refs before the game even starts - one of the main problems being some of the stuff they call on Seattle actually are penalties - but they aren't calling them on the opponents.

On a side note, surely something should be done about how broken punt returns are? I reckon their is a block in the back penalty on about 85% of returns - unwatchable.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Anajimmc":1dlgtefm said:
Completely uneven officiating, Seahawk DB in the neighborhood of Cards receiver is PI, Card DB tackling Hawk receiver before catch not PI. Seahawk DB looks at facemask of Card of receiver is hands to the face. Catch the ball, no bobbling, take 3 steps, gain 5+ yards of field position fall down without contact, lose control of the ball, recover by Seahawk - Ruling incomplete pass, SMH.

That no catch fumble reversal ruling was an egregiously bad call. You catch the ball but then travel 7 yards going to the ground then lose the ball? Right! Whatever? Does anyone know what a catch is except what the referee says it is? Nonsense.

I actually believe I watched the referee smile when penalizing Seattle and then frown when penalizing AZ.

The phantom face mask on Coleman was also a bad penalty.

cymatica

Reaction score
Ramfan128":ze7djx68 said:

You missed the point. The flags not thrown on az don't show up on the stat sheet. The time of the penalties can make all the difference too

Seanhawk

Reaction score
austinslater25":8scp08qt said:
Seanhawk":8scp08qt said:
hawkcrazzed":8scp08qt said:
when the player hit russ with the crown of his helmet and wasn't warned or ejected I was done

Just curious, when a Seahawk player (can't recall who) hit Kirk Cousins the same way last week, did you want him ejected too?

There is always one contrarian just for the sake of it. It was a poorly officiated game regardless of the outcome.

Give me a break. He specifically mentioned the one play where they called a penalty correctly, FOR the Seahawks in a thread specifically about one sided refs calling non-existent penalties. None of the other poorly called plays were even mentioned in the specific post that I responded to. I just want to find out if he was whining about a Seahawk player not being warned or ejected for the same thing, or if he's just a homer.

kf3339

Reaction score
If you ask me the problem is that the NFL has added too many rules to the game the last 20 years. If they just went back to the rule book of 20 years ago I think you would see a lot cleaner game, It would be more fun for the players and the fans.

Hairsbredth

Reaction score
If nothing else in this thread is for sure it is: the officials are mucking up what was once an entertaining 3 hours. Delays on calls to phantom calls and missed calls. Maybe the coverage is too good to allow the viewing public to see what they missed before. I hate the inconsistency. It seems like everybody else does too!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It sucks being that guy, but they flat out were trying to call everything against the Hawks to keep the game close, period.