One-sided referees calling non-existent penalties...

xStickybudz

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2xn620wb said:
It sucks being that guy, but they flat out were trying to call everything against the Hawks to keep the game close, period.

Agreed, I haven’t been as mad this season until I saw griff get flagged on the PI for playing it perfect.

OP
OP
renofox

renofox

Reaction score
https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/completing-a-catch/

nfl rulebook":aox4ocul said:
Item 1. Player Going to the Ground. A player is considered to be going to the ground if he does not remain upright long enough to demonstrate that he is clearly a runner.

If turning upfield and taking 4-5 steps is not "enough to demonstrate that he is clearly a runner", would somebody please explain to me how many steps is enough? Must score a TD or it's not a fumble?

chris98251

Reaction score
My understanding of a catch, secure football, make a football move, as in proceed to gain yards. He caught the ball and turned up field and took at least three steps, that's securing , he used to hands then tucked the ball with one hand as he took three steps and went down, ball squirted out. Fumble.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
LITP":318ga492 said:
As a Patriots fan (boo hiss!) i've noticed the Seahawks getting hosed on a regular basis in terms of officiating.

As one of the more physical teams in the league, I think their card is marked (unfairly) by refs before the game even starts - one of the main problems being some of the stuff they call on Seattle actually are penalties - but they aren't calling them on the opponents.

On a side note, surely something should be done about how broken punt returns are? I reckon their is a block in the back penalty on about 85% of returns - unwatchable.

Yup, kick returns without a flag are a rarity, and since this league is so concerned about player safety, you would think that they would be pretty loose with allowing a degree of holding to protect the returner from getting lit up.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
We should have a sticky post with Gifs of bad calls against us. Keep all the grumbling in one post. Although it would get overly big quickly with the way things are going.

AubHawk71

Reaction score
There are always some "yeah, whatever" calls, but that series where they just kept giving them first downs...why didn't the ref just take the ball down to the Seahawk's 15 for Stanton and be done with it? I've seen it in other games too, other teams, just blatant. It's getting to be:

NFL = WWE = Survivor

I get it, real REALITY can be boring some times. The NFL, the networks, don't want a blowout on prime time with two west coast (read, small market) teams.

I waited to post on here (usually lurk 1-2 times a week b/c there are some great posts on here at times), until the Hawks finally won so as not sound like a sore loser.

And the usual people who defend the refs, and want to pretend to believe it's all completely real...your ranting and defending reminds me of when I told my 12yo nephew:

'You know pro wrestling isn't real, right?'

I CAN'T BELIEVE THE REFEREE IS ALLOWING THIS! - Every "pro" wrestling match ever.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Hawks admit they like to play to the edge, and year after year are the most penalized teams in the NFL. It's like having a bad reputation for being late at work, the manager is going to start getting on your case every time your even 1 minute late, but that other person can come in 5-10 minutes without the manager even batting an eye. Is it fair? no. But you already put yourself in the hot seat with your reputation for coming in late all the time. The only way to beat it is be 30 minutes early every day for a couple months until the manager leaves you alone.

So what does that mean for the Hawks.

Stop playing to the edge, and focus on clean football for a while until the officials stop focusing on you. It's like having your kid who gets in trouble all the time screaming about having a curfew vs your grade A student kid.

mikeak

Reaction score
renofox":1ccipvb5 said:
https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/completing-a-catch/

nfl rulebook":1ccipvb5 said:
Item 1. Player Going to the Ground. A player is considered to be going to the ground if he does not remain upright long enough to demonstrate that he is clearly a runner.

If turning upfield and taking 4-5 steps is not "enough to demonstrate that he is clearly a runner", would somebody please explain to me how many steps is enough? Must score a TD or it's not a fumble?

HE WAS NEVER UPRIGHT!

The discussion on the broadcast was until they remembered the going to ground rule. Because he took so many steps people forgot about it. I was 2 hrs behind watching he game which did give me the luxuary of running back any play i wanted to see again. His upper body was CLEARLY going towards the ground when the ball arrives. His Lowe body keeps churning forward but he is simply never upright. The rule says right at the beginning that he needs to "remain upright".

I don't really like the rule but they have been very consistent in the enforcement of the rule. I honk they need to go back to control of the football regardless. I kind of also think one foot inbounds should be enough - would be simpler for review but that is another discussion.

JimmyG

Reaction score
ZagHawk":2jtl4212 said:
Hawks admit they like to play to the edge, and year after year are the most penalized teams in the NFL. It's like having a bad reputation for being late at work, the manager is going to start getting on your case every time your even 1 minute late, but that other person can come in 5-10 minutes without the manager even batting an eye. Is it fair? no. But you already put yourself in the hot seat with your reputation for coming in late all the time. The only way to beat it is be 30 minutes early every day for a couple months until the manager leaves you alone.

So what does that mean for the Hawks.

Stop playing to the edge, and focus on clean football for a while until the officials stop focusing on you. It's like having your kid who gets in trouble all the time screaming about having a curfew vs your grade A student kid.
Agreed. A couple examples of this off the top of my head...

A few years back when Sherman was asked about excessive contact with receivers, he basically said something like, "hey, they can't call holding/PI every play, right?" I'm not saying Sherman mauls receivers, but he does walk the razor's edge.

Same thing with Bennett. Bennett is notorious for offsides incurred when trying to jump the snap count. Yeah, we complain when he racks up an offsides penalties... but how many times does he guess correctly and get a great jump from it?