Only 4 draft picks this year?!

mikeak

Reaction score
kobebryant":7xtx9tny said:
The missing 2nd round pick feels way better when remembering that it got you a franchise LT who made 2nd team all-pro and recently signed an extension.

I agree 100% on this

Yes getting the guys to stay long term makes it feel way more valuable. I would think though the norm would be 2 years left / sign an extension when you trade for them.

I get not getting into "cap hell" but you also don't want to find yourself with 4 draft picks...….

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
kobebryant":1xde524r said:
The missing 2nd round pick feels way better when remembering that it got you a franchise LT who made 2nd team all-pro and recently signed an extension.

For me it does not. We had to throw in that pick only because Lane failed his physical in Houston if i remember correctly. I would have rather lost Lane and kept the pick.

naholmes

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":1qo6cxza said:
kobebryant":1qo6cxza said:

For me it does not. We had to throw in that pick only because Lane failed his physical in Houston if i remember correctly. I would have rather lost Lane and kept the pick.
The 2019 2nd was always part of the deal for Brown but after Lane flunked the physical then the Seattle had to include their 2018 3rd and received back Houston’s 2018 5th.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
RE: ONLY 4 DRAFT PICKS THIS YEAR?!

For now, we all need to wait and see what Trader John comes up with.

I suspect in the end the team will have 6-7 picks.

Fade

Reaction score
The difference between pick 21 through Pick 41 is indistinguishable historically.

There are usually only around 15 consensus 1st round graded players in any given draft give or take.

It is smart to trade down when drafting in the 20's.

The Seahawks will be trading down a couple of times from 21 I am sure. This feels like one of those years where they won't have a 1st rounder.

They need to acquire young talent for all levels of their defense, and secure a quality O-Lineman for the long term. If they could find a way to add a Swiss-army knife dynamic receiver who can get YAC, and return kicks that would be nice as well. But I want the focus to be adding to the defense this year.

knownone

Reaction score
For those wondering, our picks are in the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th rounds.

I'm torn on the trading back issue. It's a great way to fill out your roster with good players, and it's worked well when we were loaded with difference makers. However, one of the biggest issues we have right now is a lack of young, dynamic, difference makers. Sure, we have Jarran Reed and Frank Clark but both of those guys are 1st round talents that fell to the second round for reasons other than performance. Even with those guys though, do we have another all-pro level talent outside of Bobby? (On defense)

I think we need another Earl Thomas level talent and maybe this is the year that guy falls to us. It probably won't happen. We have a ton of roster spots to fill and we've built a pretty solid unit without a 5-star guy (outside of Wags). Still, it's at least worth considering.

Seahawker

Reaction score
kobebryant":68n831kc said:

Knowing our 2nd rounder was for Duane Brown and the return of Rasheem Green, Will Dissly & Jamarco Jones kills the pain of only having 4 draft picks, which we know will likely become 5-7. Considering we will not be big $ players in free agency and the biggest strength in the draft seeming to be defensive lineman, I would like to see these additions.

Pass rush DE, run stop DT, versatile/athletic OLB, another FS, SS, CB for competition & depth, dynamic returner, an OG or 2 and draft the best kicker we can in the 5th round and grab another UDFA K to compete in camp. JS & PC have a lot of moving pieces on this roster & much work in front of them, but I think they'll get it more than done.

mikeak

Reaction score
Seahawker76":1on4bla8 said:
Considering we will not be big $ players in free agency .
[/quote]

What makes you believe this and stating it almost like a fact?

We are 7th on the Cap space list for 2019 and yes we have several internal players to resign such as Clark that will change this but we are not poor

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2019/

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
PC and JS will end up with at least 3 more picks somehow.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
mikeak":35yvt9ns said:
Seahawker76":35yvt9ns said:
kobebryant":35yvt9ns said:

We are 7th on the Cap space list for 2019 and yes we have several internal players to resign such as Clark that will change this but we are not poor

Don't let the "7th in cap space" fool you. It's mostly because we have the second fewest players under contract for the upcoming season. Yes, we will probably trade back to turn those 4 picks into 6 or 7, and we will be churning the undrafted ranks for hidden talent, but the reality is, we don't have much to spend in free agency, especially considering how much we will be spending to retain our own free agents.

There aren't a lot of big contracts left that we can restructure either.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
mikeak":yhgteftp said:
Seahawker76":yhgteftp said:
kobebryant":yhgteftp said:

Clark isn't going to be cheap. Nor is Jarran Reed. And we're also going to be thinking about that Russell Wilson guy.

kobebryant

Reaction score
mikeak":nroclw8x said:
Seahawker76":nroclw8x said:
kobebryant":nroclw8x said:

Hey, not sure what you did with the quote function there. But would you mind fixing it so that you're not attributing that quote to me, I didn't say that.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":3tr4u7zs said:
PC and JS will end up with at least 3 more picks somehow.

Somehow = trade down 87 times.

Unless there's a complete game changer at 21, I'd put money on us trading down once, if not twice to get more picks. Which I know you guys love.

mikeak

Reaction score
kobebryant":1tbhqbup said:
mikeak":1tbhqbup said:
Seahawker76":1tbhqbup said:
kobebryant":1tbhqbup said:

Hey, not sure what you did with the quote function there. But would you mind fixing it so that you're not attributing that quote to me, I didn't say that.

Sorry fixed

mikeak

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":q1m1ge9t said:
Clark isn't going to be cheap. Nor is Jarran Reed. And we're also going to be thinking about that Russell Wilson guy.

No but signing bonus money are spread over the next up to 5 years of the contract. they won't hit to heavy next year

we are fine and I expect us to be active in FA

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Clark will, in all likelihood, be franchised, so we won’t be able to shuffle money around to reduce the cap hit.

AgentDib

Reaction score
My weakly held opinion is that Pete's system simply works better when players are not secure in their spots. It's tough to draft a player in the first round and give them guaranteed $$ and then trick them into thinking their job is on the line. This also explains why our splashy FA moves and trades have struggled at times.

If we're going to throw a lot of resources at somebody they need to buy into competing and we've done a pretty good job at keeping those players around. Our extensions have bitten us on the injury side of things but there were no doubts about guys like Kam, Sherman or Earl's sustaining their competitive drive once they got paid.