Only 4 draft picks this year?!

nwHawk

Reaction score
Teams know we want to trade down, and John doesn't seem to fleece anyone anymore. It seems like we could have a very disappointing draft, at least from a splash standpoint. Hopefully, John plays hardball.

chris98251

Reaction score
nwHawk":8y1hxqm8 said:
Teams know we want to trade down, and John doesn't seem to fleece anyone anymore. It seems like we could have a very disappointing draft, at least from a splash standpoint. Hopefully, John plays hardball.

You play hardball when you have something someone wants badly enough, at 21 your at the point of the draft where value per pick becomes more about salary and not the pick itself since they are close in talent level for those slots. Need trade partners for that, harder to play the hardball game there.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2hc97rfr said:
Hopefully they trade down and get a bunch of 4th-7th round picks, since that is their comfort zone. They don't seem to have a clue how to choose wisely in the early rounds anymore.

Jarran Reed and Frank Clark would disagree with you. I'm pretty sure Penny will be good.

We tend to do well in later rounds because we generally have a boatload of those picks. You only get one or two high picks if you are a decent team in a draft. Personally I think they've done well overall the last couple drafts. Hopefully we turn 4 picks into 6 picks and really scour the UDFA's.

OP
OP
jmahon316

jmahon316

Reaction score
Here's a topic up for debate: How would you guys feel if PC and JS traded all the way down to mid 2nd to get 4 more draft picks?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I expect nothing less than them trading down once or twice to start the draft. They need to build up draft choices.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
jmahon316":2zmqafkd said:
Here's a topic up for debate: How would you guys feel if PC and JS traded all the way down to mid 2nd to get 4 more draft picks?

Depends on what players/need we pass up.

It's not the trading down that's frustrating to watch when we do it, it's the players we pass on that I know would be great here. But I get it, there are a LOT of needs on this roster right now.

So I'm fully expecting us to trade down at least once if not twice to get some picks back.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2tm5flmr said:
jmahon316":2tm5flmr said:

It's not the trading down that's frustrating to watch when we do it, it's the players we pass on that I know would be great here. But I get it, there are a LOT of needs on this roster right now.

So I'm fully expecting us to trade down at least once if not twice to get some picks back.

This is where many fail, big name player that may make an impact, or may not, player like Flowers, Poona Ford, Sherman and or Kam that will make a impact picked lower and Pete putting them in a position they will succeed where others don't see that potential.

If we lucked out just once here and there that would be one thing, but Pete has a pretty decent track record of doing well with these picks, well does well on the defensive side. On offense I would tend to agree more with you, WR other then Baldwin and Kearse has been a issue, he has done decently with RB in Collins, Ware and now Carson.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":2g1prhwz said:
Sgt. Largent":2g1prhwz said:
jmahon316":2g1prhwz said:

This is where many fail, big name player that may make an impact, or may not, player like Flowers, Poona Ford, Sherman and or Kam that will make a impact picked lower and Pete putting them in a position they will succeed where others don't see that potential.

If we lucked out just once here and there that would be one thing, but Pete has a pretty decent track record of doing well with these picks, well does well on the defensive side. On offense I would tend to agree more with you, WR other then Baldwin and Kearse has been a issue, he has done decently with RB in Collins, Ware and now Carson.

It's not these drafts, it's drafts like 2017 where we had a HUGE need for O-line, and we traded down when both Cam Robinson and Rob Ramczyk were available and drafted freaking Malik McDowell.

I get it, Pete and John like elite athletic skill, but sometimes a slow and steady approach to just finding REALLY good players that you can plug in for the next 10 years is also a good thing.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2qiz2cz9 said:
chris98251":2qiz2cz9 said:
Sgt. Largent":2qiz2cz9 said:
jmahon316":2qiz2cz9 said:

It's not these drafts, it's drafts like 2017 where we had a HUGE need for O-line, and we traded down when both Cam Robinson and Rob Ramczyk were available and drafted freaking Malik McDowell.

I get it, Pete and John like elite athletic skill, but sometimes a slow and steady approach to just finding REALLY good players that you can plug in for the next 10 years is also a good thing.

Malik McDowell, Jeff George, Jamarcus Russell, Tony Manderich all fall into the same boat as far as I am concerned and every team has them, guys that with their head screwed on right could have been really good players.