(OPINION) Wilson won't sign an extension this year unless

HawkinNY

Reaction score
I think Seattle should draft a QB the next two years and develop him to take over when RW contract is over. I think paying a QB top dollar ruins every team. Unless he takes 20-25 mil a year this team won’t sniff a Super Bowl. Can’t pay that many more players if the QB is taking up most of the cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John63

Reaction score
The purpose of the thread was simple, make Wilson look bad that's all. No facts nothing just someone trying to make someone else look bad. unfortunately, there are a few people on this board whose sole mission in life is to make Wilson look as bad as possible. I don't get it, I mean there are players on the team I don't like at all, but I am not going to make stuff up or throw negativity on them just because I don't like them. But I guess some here have not become adults yet.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Atradees":23h00q91 said:
To be honest...if we are just gonna run I think anyone can hand it off. Pass......

We still threw the ball 427 times last year. I wish we could end this dumb narrative that we don't need a QB since we are a run-first team.

How many games did Russ have a game winning drive?

How many of our touchdowns came via the pass?

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
12thmanNY":ys0w2huz said:
I think Seattle should draft a QB the next two years and develop him to take over when RW contract is over. I think paying a QB top dollar ruins every team. Unless he takes 20-25 mil a year this team won’t sniff a Super Bowl. Can’t pay that many more players if the QB is taking up most of the cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's nonsense, Brady makes over 20 million and the Patriots are fine even if he is slightly underpaid.

beaumaris

Reaction score
12AngryHawks":2sty22yn said:
There's no way he's getting $45 mil a year. $35 mil maybe.
$35 mil is an over payment for a QB on the downward slope.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
beaumaris":3tj5byp2 said:
12AngryHawks":3tj5byp2 said:

$35 mil will look like a bargain when you start seeing lesser QB's get more money. Goff & Wentz are up next, and shortly after them, Mahomes. Imagine how much they'll be making, and neither of them have accomplished what Wilson has. Wilson is still in his prime, and worthy of keeping around through at least one more contract. Seattle's not going to find success by going cheap, especially since they don't have the defense of '12 and '13 that could mask bad QB play.

John63

Reaction score
beaumaris":2zi3f87x said:
12AngryHawks":2zi3f87x said:

Guess good thing Wilson is on an upward slope

sdog1981

Reaction score
Atradees":2gquniie said:
sdog1981":2gquniie said:
Atradees":2gquniie said:
To be honest...if we are just gonna run I think anyone can hand it off. Pass......

The problem is who is going to be as good as Wilson with so few pass attempts. When a QB throws the ball 50 times they can make up for a ton of mistakes. When a QB throws the ball 25 times they have to be spot on with every throw.

Its tru that Wilson is the best ever in that situation: is the difference between Paxton Lynch handing off and Wison handing off worth hamstringing the team?

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic.

Paxton Lynch is awful, he can't read defenses and throws interceptions on 7% of his throws. He is so bad he could not beat out Trevor Seimin as the starting QB for the Broncos.

How does that relate to the Seahawks run first offense? Wilson can hit every point on the field so that spreads out opposing defenses which allow the running game to work.

For the Seahawks to get a QB as efficient as Wilson and still win with throwing less than 500 times a season they need a QB like Drew Breese, Tom Brady, Phillip Rivers, and Matt Ryan.

Marcus Mariota is kind of close and might be available. However, Mariota is always hurt and he plays with one of the best Olines and running games in the NFL.

Nick Foles showed he could do something similar but when he started at the beginning of the year he was not very good.

Derek Carr could be an option. He was pretty good on the 2016 Raiders and he just inked a new deal. They have the draft picks and cap space to get a player like Wilson and sign him to a set the bar new QB deal. That being said they have draft picks so they will just draft a new QB with 5 years of cap savings.

Wilson is an efficient QB that allows the Seahawks to be a run-first team because his passing keeps the other team honest.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Do people really believe that the Seahawks offense was only the run game and Wilson didnt push this team to wins with his throwing abilities?

Seymour

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":eh7comdu said:
It's at least 45 plus million a year. The market for him after this season will be much higher than it is now he will not sign an extension unless he gets a massive contract the man is going to maximize his earnings. He's still young at the top of his game and ambitious I think he's going to leave Seattle in a year or two for a bigger market team like a NY. Is it even in Seattle's best interest to sign him to that kind of contract, i'm ready for change if it happens. This is all speculation on my part but one thing is clear Wilson wants to be paid and it's not in his interest to sign a deal this season only to see his contract get dwarfed in a few months. He will wait now and let this play out until he can negotiate with other teams this gives him higher earning potential and more options.

You might wanna look into new "specs" with wildly ridiculous speculations like $45 million. :roll:

Tical21

Reaction score
45 makes sense. If he played hardball, that's about what he would make over the next 7 years. But he won't play that game.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Tical21":2boduarn said:
45 makes sense. If he played hardball, that's about what he would make over the next 7 years. But he won't play that game.

45 doesnt make sense.

I think he will go after a competitive annual salary but his primary objective will be the guaranteed money

rcaido

Reaction score
Wilson only had 35td last year...Easily replace by any qb.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
If you're Pete Carroll and your system is run 60 percent of the time, control the clock, and try to play elite defense, why do you want to pay 35-40 million a year to your QB??

Wouldn't it serve you better to grab a cheap, inexperienced yet promising talented rookie QB and build your team on that??

If you pay Wilson top money, Carroll cannot run his preferred system, unless his defensive players are on cheap contracts and play pro bowl and all pro levels, which is not likely on first year rookie contracts.

Every team wants a QB but not all teams can win consistently when they pay top dollar for a QB.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":rqdfkggt said:
If you're Pete Carroll and your system is run 60 percent of the time, control the clock, and try to play elite defense, why do you want to pay 35-40 million a year to your QB??

Wouldn't it serve you better to grab a cheap, inexperienced yet promising talented rookie QB and build your team on that??

If you pay Wilson top money, Carroll cannot run his preferred system, unless his defensive players are on cheap contracts and play pro bowl and all pro levels, which is not likely on first year rookie contracts.

Every team wants a QB but not all teams can win consistently when they pay top dollar for a QB.

Because if 40% is passing, every pass matters even more. Few QBs have Russ's completion %, especially on the long throws that make up the toxic differential Pete craves, as well as Russ's ability to use his legs.

The Seahawks run:pass ratio was 52.5:47.5 in 2018, the lowest pass % in the league last year. But that's not close to 60:40.

Where do you propose finding cheap, talented, and promising in a rookie that isn't a significant gamble or with huge red flags? Good luck with that.

Of course every team wants a good QB. That's why someone might pay more for Russ than the Hawks will. But that doesn't mean he isn't worth a fairly high price tag to this organization.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":y8576uvi said:
TheLegendOfBoom":y8576uvi said:

Because if 40% is passing, every pass matters even more. Few QBs have Russ's completion %, especially on the long throws that make up the toxic differential Pete craves, as well as Russ's ability to use his legs.

The Seahawks run:pass ratio was 52.5:47.5 in 2018, the lowest pass % in the league last year. But that's not close to 60:40.

Where do you propose finding cheap, talented, and promising in a rookie that isn't a significant gamble or with huge red flags? Good luck with that.

Of course every team wants a good QB. That's why someone might pay more for Russ than the Hawks will. But that doesn't mean he isn't worth a fairly high price tag to this organization.

Its not rocket science, yet so many folks think you can just have a QB who can hand a ball off also make the difficult passes needed to move the ball when the run game doesnt work, or sets up big play opportunities, both things Wilson is great at.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1ux5jyfg said:
Ad Hawk":1ux5jyfg said:
TheLegendOfBoom":1ux5jyfg said:

Its not rocket science, yet so many folks think you can just have a QB who can hand a ball off also make the difficult passes needed to move the ball when the run game doesnt work, or sets up big play opportunities, both things Wilson is great at.

Yep. We were so great at 7-9 with Tarvaris Jackson after all. Just handing off the ball and passing every now and then. ;)

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":ef998qu7 said:
TheLegendOfBoom":ef998qu7 said:

You have to draft a QB. The same way you got Wilson.

I'm not saying it's easy. It's not, but if Carroll knows he can't play elite defense, the Seahawks aren't built to win, even if you pay Wilson.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
They just won 10 games with a defense beginning its development.