Oregon vs Washington game time set.

jkitsune

Reaction score
Man. Screw that game. Screw that game all around.

Terrible coaching. Browning looks like a freshman QB. Receivers are terrible.

cesame

Reaction score
A win is a win is a win

Pretty sad it was competitive at the end, though. Washington did not look good at all other then beating up Oregon's OL. Oregon should have blown that game open, but the OL in the redzone....wow. Allowed too much penetration.

12 in a row is a nice feeling

jkitsune

Reaction score
cesame":35oi9dh9 said:
A win is a win is a win

Pretty sad it was competitive at the end, though. Washington did not look good at all other then beating up Oregon's OL. Oregon should have blown that game open, but the OL in the redzone....wow. Allowed too much penetration.

You could switch the team names and this statement would still be nearly true. UO overall played better, but was by no means good enough to warrant a blowout.

Vernon Adams was magical. Jake Browning and Chris Petersen were not. UO has receivers who come back to the ball and make contested catches. UW has receivers who hope the trajectory of the ball changes to suit them.

Just disgusted.

Reaction score
Oregon looks soft to me, Washington was the more physical team. For the first time in a long time I like where the Dawgs are headed.
Oregon's run I think is coming to an end they look average to me.
I think Washington controlled both line of scrimages.
Too many mistakes and big plays.

kearly

Reaction score
I'm really surprised that it got close. Washington couldn't convert 3rd and short all game, while Adams couldn't be stopped on 3rd and long.

The announcers were dumb. UW clock management in the 2nd to last drive was mostly fine, we've seen Pete Carroll use the same mentality many times. The part that WAS dumb was blowing a timeout ON A PUNT, and then wasting a 2nd timeout later to avoid a delay of game when they should have been in hurry up.

The really sad part is that I think Browning had maybe a 25% chance to win it if he could have finished the game, but when KJ Samuels went in it felt like a 2.5% chance. Lindquist and Samuels are probably the two worst QBs I've seen in a Husky uniform. Really would have been something if Browning could have stayed in the game and finished the deal.

I said before the game that Oregon needed good QB play to win and that's exactly what Adams gave them. They are always going to be a team that lives and dies with the QB position.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Browning isn't Moore, no matter how much people want him to be. Good game tonight, but I don't see UW as being "back" anymore than I have at any point over the last 12 years. If Pellum wasn't so terrible, he would have pressured Browning a lot more, and hit him every play. A new DC will work wonders next year.

CPHawk

Reaction score
kearly":102od6k4 said:
I'm really surprised that it got close. Washington couldn't convert 3rd and short all game, while Adams couldn't be stopped on 3rd and long.

The announcers were dumb. UW clock management in the 2nd to last drive was mostly fine, we've seen Pete Carroll use the same mentality many times. The part that WAS dumb was blowing a timeout ON A PUNT, and then wasting a 2nd timeout later to avoid a delay of game when they should have been in hurry up.

The really sad part is that I think Browning had maybe a 25% chance to win it if he could have finished the game, but when KJ Samuels went in it felt like a 2.5% chance. Lindquist and Samuels are probably the two worst QBs I've seen in a Husky uniform. Really would have been something if Browning could have stayed in the game and finished the deal.

I said before the game that Oregon needed good QB play to win and that's exactly what Adams gave them. They are always going to be a team that lives and dies with the QB position.

Doesn't every team live and die with qb play?

kearly

Reaction score
Good win for Oregon, they deserved it. That said, it was like watching the 2014 Seahawks OL with all the holding. They got called for holds many times, and still got away with a ton of them. They could have been called for 20+ holds in this game, it was insane. I never complain about holding after a game (if it works, it works) but it's probably been a decade since the last time I saw a UW opponent hold that much. Not a bad strategy really, it forced UW to blitz to create any pressure.

kearly

Reaction score
CPHawk":1kfwew5o said:
Doesn't every team live and die with qb play?

Most powerhouse teams in college have middling QBs. Oregon has thrived because they have gotten great results out of the position. And when they have face-planted, it's almost always been because the QB had an off game. Or in the case of Adams backups, just suck innately.

kearly

Reaction score
CPHawk":27ryq9ix said:
Browning isn't Moore, no matter how much people want him to be.

He's a true freshman. Moore didn't even play his true freshman year.

Browning shows some really good things at times. He is really suffering right now from not being on the same page as his receivers. But that's understandable for a true freshman who's barely played with the team.

I just wish Browning were better on 3rd and short, but if there was ever a down you need to be on the same page as your receivers, it's 3rd and short.

Spounge84

Reaction score
kearly":3snpvrjh said:
The part that WAS dumb was blowing a timeout ON A PUNT, and then wasting a 2nd timeout later to avoid a delay of game when they should have been in hurry up.

I've always found the idea of wasting a timeout to prevent a delay game penalty confusing, especially if it's in the 2nd half. Timeouts are invaluable in a close game, where as a 5 yard penalty, while frustrating, is much more easily overcome.

CPHawk

Reaction score
cesame":1cpll3lb said:
A win is a win is a win

I can see why Notre Dame didn't care that Hagerty was transferring. He's pretty bad. When you have a bad center, the rest of the OL suffers and looks bad.

I'm really hoping Seattle can manage to pull their heads out at some point and draft Crosby(next season), the kid wi be a monster right tackle in the NFL. PFF ranked him the top run blocking tackle in college this year, and he has the size and athleticism Cable likes.

jkitsune

Reaction score
Spounge84":3vb71shp said:
kearly":3vb71shp said:
The part that WAS dumb was blowing a timeout ON A PUNT, and then wasting a 2nd timeout later to avoid a delay of game when they should have been in hurry up.

I've always found the idea of wasting a timeout to prevent a delay game penalty confusing, especially if it's in the 2nd half. Timeouts are invaluable in a close game, where as a 5 yard penalty, while frustrating, is much more easily overcome.

THANK you! There are definitely exceptions, depending on game situation (for instance, a delay of game when going for it on 4th and inches - the difference between inches and 5 yards on 4th down is huge), but by and large, I would much rather have a timeout when trailing than five yards.

Especially if you should have been hurrying up anyways, which the Huskies inexplicably were not.

As someone else (kearly?) said, it's sad Browning couldn't come in for the last drive. Win or lose, those are the drives you want that kid to be taking. Eventually he will break through on one, and it will be huge for his development and confidence. Just wasn't meant to be today.

At least we aren't all, collectively, Michigan's punter.

Latest posts