Our first 4 picks since 2011

Krieg's list

Reaction score
Still trying to figure out how you made this thread without including Christine Michael. Hell, he should've been the impetus behind it.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2aaiakfr said:
Hasselbeck":2aaiakfr said:
So of those 4 only Carp was a major let down. JS is batting .750

Am I missing something?
And the funny thing is he was still a full time starter, who is netting us a likely 5th round comp pick next year

I think there's some disconnect over Carpenter. We drated him as a Tackle, and in that he failed. Some people look at that as a failed draft pick and that's that. The reason Tackles are so highly valued in the draft (besides the importance of the position) is that if they don't work out, most times you can slide them inside and they do well as a Guard. It's a safety valve most positions just don't have.

I think they wanted to try Carpenter at Tackle (don't ask me why....his troubles with his weight were incredibly evident), but knew he could play Guard. So yea, in the perspective of drafting him to play Tackle, he's a flop. He was serviceable at Guard though, so the player himself wasn't a flop.

Richardson is much too early to tell, but it looks good. Keep in mind we had Harvin when PRich was a rookie, and Harvin had issues with any other WR that wanted the ball or took reps from him. That stunted Richardson's growth a bit, but we could really see the progression at the end of the season.

Irvin was raw. They knew it, and knew he could do exactly what he did as a rookie: get after the QB. There were going to be growing pains but the FO and coaching staff knew it. Irvin was rated the 11th best OLB at his position out of 62 guys in the NFL last year. That's not a flop. Look at all the guys with similar (but still not quite as good) athleticism in the draft: most were gone in the top 10 picks. Sure, they were more polished but that kind of athleticism is highly valued.

Using our pick on Graham this year was brilliant, especially after watching the draft.

Basis4day

Reaction score
If they didn't draft Carp they would have taken Andy Dalton.

TwilightError

Reaction score
seabowl":tgk7ohe0 said:
Carpenter
Irvin
Michael
P Rich
Frank Clark (if he hasn't already been arrested since his selection)

Fixed it for you. But it does not change the result...

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
TwilightError":1o1ufk9f said:
seabowl":1o1ufk9f said:
Carpenter
Irvin
Michael
P Rich

Nope, the JS regime is very good at drafting. It's nice cherry picking though

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Hawks46":274o6xoz said:
Hawkfan77":274o6xoz said:
Hasselbeck":274o6xoz said:
I think there's some disconnect over Carpenter. We drated him as a Tackle, and in that he failed. Some people look at that as a failed draft pick and that's that. The reason Tackles are so highly valued in the draft (besides the importance of the position) is that if they don't work out, most times you can slide them inside and they do well as a Guard. It's a safety valve most positions just don't have.

I think they wanted to try Carpenter at Tackle (don't ask me why....his troubles with his weight were incredibly evident), but knew he could play Guard. So yea, in the perspective of drafting him to play Tackle, he's a flop. He was serviceable at Guard though, so the player himself wasn't a flop.

Using our pick on Graham this year was brilliant, especially after watching the draft.

I see it differently.

First as it relates to our trades. I don't think it's a coincidence that we've passed on the first round in the last 3 drafts. Realistically, that would have been 4 of the last 5 drafts. Recall that Seattle tried mightily to trade back from 25, but found no legitimate trade partners. That does happen in the draft.

Secondly, and I've written on this numerous times -- looking at the draft from the standpoint of what was on the board -- the Carpenter pick was actually very good. The alternatives for us at that pick was very poor. Carpenter was clearly better than the other players taken in and around that selection amongst OL talent. That draft was really quite bad after pick 20. The second round was atrocious over all, with just a handful of players who developed into quality players worth a second contract.

Seattle isn't a top of the draft reliant team. We sacrifice those early picks for alternatives. So it's not really comparing values accurately. Sure, we can say that Moffitt was a failure in the 3rd round. But we traded back from the second, and as a direct result of that trade, also netted Richard Sherman.

We traded the 1st round pick that netted Cox. But we got Irvin and Jeremy Lane as a result.

There are very few actual 'bad first picks' that I see in this list -- where I can see 'should have picked him instead' candidates. Even the Michael pick. Baltimore traded up with us and took Arthur Brown. Who is basically a healthy scratch and Baltimore was forced to double down and burn a 1st round pick the very next year at the position.

TwilightError

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":3jrerzwi said:
TwilightError":3jrerzwi said:
seabowl":3jrerzwi said:
Carpenter
Irvin
Michael
P Rich

Nope, the JS regime is very good at drafting. It's nice cherry picking though

I am sure nobody disagrees with that. JSPC regime is absolutely genius at drafting and developing players. It´s just that the first rounds are not their strongest area.

Maybe it just means that their first pick is played just like the rest of the picks? Hit and miss, high risk high reward. Whereas other teams tend to go for the sure thing, ready to play -guys on their first pick? Seahawks go for potential, just like they do with late rounds?

Overseasfan

Reaction score
It's really convenient for you that you left out the first draft Carroll did. In the 2010 draft we got Okung (Pro-Bowl LT) and Thomas (All-Pro FS), hard to get better than that.

Though it's not only about first/second round picks, look at what we've drafted in round 4 and later since 2010. Chancellor, Sherman, Wright, Maxwell, Sweezy, Lane, Luke Wilson and we can't even really grade last year's and this year's rookies yet though KPL looks to be a steal as well in the fourth round, just like how Glowinski looks to become a solid starter in the future.

To sum it up, I have no problem with how the Hawks draft at all.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Overseasfan":3vo4f3hz said:
It's really convenient for you that you left out the first draft Carroll did. In the 2010 draft we got Okung (Pro-Bowl LT) and Thomas (All-Pro FS), hard to get better than that.

To sum it up, I have no problem with how the Hawks draft at all.

I liked this year's draft. But I do think that 2013 and 2014 are conspicuously absent any real 'core' talent. We haven't added much outside of role players in either of those years.

Lockett and Graham should provide impact this year. Clark I harbor hopes of providing much needed relief in the DE rotation for both Avril and Bennett. I see a lot of contributors in this draft class even early in the year. For me, Sokoli is the home run swing. We very likely won't know what we have with him until 2016. If he develops well, he could be this draft classes' Sherman.

For a team that has to continually replenish talent via the draft -- it's double tough to go 3 consecutive years without adding impact talent. Doing so is a harbinger of future regression. With the talents we do have, we won't have the ability to utilize the UFA route to add impact players.

The Harvin deal really did have a significant negative impact. Not merely in draft picks or potential picks that Seattle could have collected. But it directly resulted in not resigning Tate by virtue of the contract we signed with Percy.