Paper Tigers

ctrcat

Reaction score
ringless":27td06k6 said:
Cardinals?

No.

Best team in the NFC?

Yes

Just put up 30 points again for the 8th time this season. And in back to back weeks against the #1, and #2 scoring Defenses!!!

Like others have said, only time will tell, but you guys lost to Landry Jones and Nick Foles (at home) and the Panthers are riding the 3rd longest regular season winning streak in NFC history. The Panthers have scored at least 27 in 8 straight and allowed 17 or less in 9 of the 14 games in the streak. And again, without the 4th highest paid player in all of football in 2015 for two months, who is returning. Time will tell.

Rex

Reaction score
Laloosh":2o2j51ws said:

That is funny but I don't believe it is accurate. As I've said before a team that can put that many points on the board is legit. Congrats ringless from what I watched in the 4th quarter your desert birds were not to be denied. This really could be your year. :th2thumbs: Though I still can't stand 'Ol Wobbly Jowls! :lol:

kearly

Reaction score
I thought the Bengals were going to win it when they had 1st and 10 at Arizona's 27. All they had to do was call high percentage plays and run a little bit of clock, and they inexplicably failed to do both. On the flip side, the Bengals defense embarrassed themselves in the final drive, and AZ also caught a break when Fitz pitched the ball forward OB which if called correctly would have kept the clock running (I think AZ wins anyway, but that was annoying).

Arizona is very good at QB and solid everywhere else. They caught some breaks the last two weeks, but teams that go the distance tend to catch a lot of breaks, including the 2013 Seahawks.

As a Seahawks fan, it sucks that our secondary is having a wtf bad year for no apparent reason while Palmer has a wtf-career year at the same exact time.

But are the Carinals good? Sure. They are basically this season what the Packers were last year, both in terms of DVOA and the areas where the team is strongest. But I don't think they tower over the league the way Seattle did from 2012-2014, or the way SF did from 2011-2013. Arizona, like the Packers, are a team that lives and dies by the arm of their QB.

As far as the postseason goes, my money is on a Panthers-Pats SB rematch. The Panthers are the closest thing the NFL has this season to a 2011-2013 Niners or 2012-2014 Seahawks type of team, and Tom Brady will probably get to the SB again without resistance on the AFC side. A pissed off Tom Brady is a scary thing.

If Arizona does win it all I'll be very happy for them. Not only is the fanbase overdue, but it makes the NFC West look better.

Largent80

Reaction score
Cardinals are the $20 hooker of the NFL. Panthers pretty much the same. Neither are getting a ring unless they go to Jared.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Rob12":c3v7qu3a said:
Ringless, until they do it for a full season, they have accomplished nothing.

At this point last year, the Cards were 9-1 with a three game lead in the division and they went on to lose the division and their playoff game to a 7-8-1 Panther team. There is a reason for still doubting the Cards.

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
rideaducati":3uz7q9gx said:
Rob12":3uz7q9gx said:

At this point last year, the Cards were 9-1 with a three game lead in the division and they went on to lose the division and their playoff game to a 7-8-1 Panther team. There is a reason for still doubting the Cards.

But last year something tragic happened that resulted in the use of a 4th String QB, 4th String RB, and all starting LB's ending up on IR as well.

That is a fluke in regards to injuries. (Using your term here) Or do you want to dispute that using 4 QB's due to injury is normal?

You see there is a difference.

Please explain to me how many Teams have used 4 QB's due to injury in a season, gone on to win the division, and a playoff game? IS it common? Is that normal?

Hawkpower

Reaction score
ringless":9gei2n2d said:
rideaducati":9gei2n2d said:
Rob12":9gei2n2d said:

But last year something tragic happened that resulted in the use of a 4th String QB, 4th String RB, and all starting LB's ending up on IR as well.

That is a fluke in regards to injuries. (Using your term here) Or do you want to dispute that using 4 QB's due to injury is normal?

Please explain to me how many Teams have used 4 QB's due to injury in a season, gone on to win the division, and a playoff game? IS it common? Is that normal?

A few clarifications:

BA chose to play your 4th string QB. He could have played Logan Thomas. Not great, but he chose to play a 4th string QB. Splitting hairs, yes, but lets not make a bad situation historic by using a bit of hyperbole.

Your 3rd string RB (Taylor) also played.

Also, I'm not seeing the LB claim. Your preseason depth chart shows Minter, Shaugnessey and Foote as starting LBers, all of whom played in the Wild Card game.....

Anyway, we could use cliche's and say that injuries happen, but to be fair, the Cards did get a tough hand last year. I think the post you responded to would have been wiser to point out that instead of doubting the Cards as a whole, rather understand that just like last year, in the blink of an eye, a season can change.

Probably would have been more applicable to the scenario.

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
Hawkpower":22elytuh said:
ringless":22elytuh said:
rideaducati":22elytuh said:
Rob12":22elytuh said:

A few clarifications:

BA chose to play your 4th string QB. He could have played Logan Thomas. Not great, but he chose to play a 4th string QB. Splitting hairs, yes, but lets not make a bad situation historic by using a bit of hyperbole.

Your 3rd string RB (Taylor) also played.

Also, I'm not seeing the LB claim. Your preseason depth chart shows Minter, Shaugnessey and Foote as starting LBers, all of whom played in the Wild Card game.....

Anyway, we could use cliche's and say that injuries happen, but to be fair, the Cards did get a tough hand last year. I think the post you responded to would have been wiser to point out that instead of doubting the Cards as a whole, rather understand that just like last year, in the blink of an eye, a season can change.

Probably would have been more applicable to the scenario.

Washington, was suspended for the year. Abraham retired one week into the season. Both were unexpected. Foote and Shaughnessy were never meant be starters.

Im not going to go into detail of why the Cardinals started 9-1, but I don't think there is a huge diffenrce in this league between a 3 and 4 in either of those positions. However, that's what happened and that's the reason the Cardinals failed last year. Injuries. If Seattle had those same injuries to the same players, they don't make the playoffs either. Which with their performance this year they'd be paper tigers. Injuries sometimes are a luck thing, and we just had bad luck last year in that department.

Carson Palmer 21-4 in his last 25 starts. Including highest QBR over that time.
And then Ryan Lindley did what? Led the worst offensive performance in history n a playoff game. During the regular season it wasn't any better.

Without In those last 6 games without Carson last year we went 2-4. Our offense also dropped over 10 PPG down from where it was with Carson. Big difference, and I think it's pretty easy to see with all the losses we had to injury that had a pretty big impact last season.

So I guess I just don't see the similarity of this years team to last with our starting QB. Which we have, which then makes this season different. Right?

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Correct. Your premise is right, there was just a bit of hyperbole mixed in on your part for effect :)

I never compared this years team to last years. Unless of course Palmer has bad luck again.

And I acknowledged that injuries were bad luck for you last year. Happens to teams every year.

You seem to be arguing two different things though. Are you trying to prove that the Cards arent "Paper tigers" (still dont know where that comes from) or that they are what you were beating your chest about...THE BEST TEAM IN THE NFC!!!!!!

You arent going to get any argument here that the Cards are a nice team. They have been for a few years. Thats a strawman you are creating. But to say they are far and away the best team in the NFC? LOL please. They may end up being that team, but there are probably 4-5 teams in the NFC that could end up there at the end of the year, and there is very little separating those teams right now imo.

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
Hawkpower":2npebpf9 said:
Correct. Your premise is right, there was just a bit of hyperbole mixed in on your part for effect :)

I never compared this years team to last years. Unless of course Palmer has bad luck again.

And I acknowledged that injuries were bad luck for you last year. Happens to teams every year.

You seem to be arguing two different things though. Are you trying to prove that the Cards arent "Paper tigers" (still dont know where that comes from) or that they are what you were beating your chest about...THE BEST TEAM IN THE NFC!!!!!!

You arent going to get any argument here that the Cards are a nice team. They have been for a few years. Thats a strawman you are creating. But to say they are far and away the best team in the NFC? LOL please. They may end up being that team, but there are probably 4-5 teams in the NFC that could end up there at the end of the year, and there is very little separating those teams right now imo.

That's true and I apologize. I didn't read your post in it's entirety as I am reading, watching football, and looking at the forum. Not the best way to do things or effective. Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill is a fantastic book though.

My bad.

rideaducati

Reaction score
ringless":2l0dyvqg said:
rideaducati":2l0dyvqg said:
Rob12":2l0dyvqg said:

I know there is a difference Captain Obvious. I'm just not going to give up hope that the same three game lead could disappear again. Better teams have lost bigger leads.

I don't give a damn how many QBs the Cards had to use to fluke their way to winning a lot of games last season. When they played good teams, they lost down the stretch. I'm hoping the same thing happens this season. No matter what excuses you come up with for last season, you won't be able to convince me that the Cards were good, so you should stop trying because they weren't good last year, they were lucky.

The Cards are better this year, but I don't think they're better than the Seahawks. Their record just happens to be better.

Rex

Reaction score
rideaducati":2vk2skk5 said:
The Cards are better this year, but I don't think they're better than the Seahawks. Their record just happens to be better.

Oh brother I could use that logic for the Rams being better than both birdy teams! :0190l:

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Some teams have all the LUCK....Indianapolis for example. :mrgreen: :stirthepot:

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
rideaducati":1z17xv92 said:
Rob12":1z17xv92 said:

Without their qb?? The best player on the team??

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
As to the OP: The only formulation that means anything for declaring the "best team in the NFC" is the one played on the field every year in the playoffs up to the SB, and in that regard the Seahawks are two-time -- and still reigning -- champions, until further notice. And one more thing...

GO HAWKS!

morgulon1

Reaction score
The funny thing is that this is supposed to br AZ year. So dominant and powerful yet I think if they're honest with themselves they would admit that they were lucky to leave Seattle with a win. Had The Seahawks played even a little better in the first half ( maybe a little less participation by the referees) and AZ doesn't win that game . What was the score at the half?

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
morgulon1":3p8upi89 said:
The funny thing is that this is supposed to br AZ year. So dominant and powerful yet I think if they're honest with themselves they would admit that they were lucky to leave Seattle with a win. Had The Seahawks played even a little better in the first half ( maybe a little less participation by the referees) and AZ doesn't win that game . What was the score at the half?

I felt Seattle was very lucky to even be in that game so I have to disagree.
Lucky for them the fumbles which (are a 50/50 odd) both went their way otherwise it's just never a close game.

Nobody ever said this was going to be Arizona's year. At the beginning of the season it was always going to be Seattles year because their defense was returning and their offense was returning plus they got Jimmy Graham.

This was a surprise that not many people saw coming (myself included)

But then Seattle became mortal, lost two games at home and was very lucky not to lose three. I think any Seattle fan that is honest with themselves should feel lucky that Megatron extended for the touchdown as opposed to letting momentum carry him in otherwise they aren't even talking playoffs right now.

Seattle will be in the playoffs which will make the regular season moot anyways.

I retract my statement, and will say Carolina now 11-0 and dominating in every way is the best team in the NFC hands down.

morgulon1

Reaction score
ringless":2eop59x4 said:
morgulon1":2eop59x4 said:

Lucky for them the fumbles which (are a 50/50 odd) both went their way otherwise it's just never a close game.

Nobody ever said this was going to be Arizona's year. At the beginning of the season it was always going to be Seattles year because their defense was returning and their offense was returning plus they got Jimmy Graham.

But then Seattle became mortal, lost two games at home and was very lucky not to lose three. I think any Seattle fan that is honest with themselves should feel lucky that Megatron extended for the touchdown as opposed to letting momentum carry him in otherwise they aren't even talking playoffs right now.

Seattle will be in the playoffs which will make the regular season moot anyways.

I retract my statement, and will say Carolina now 11-0 and dominating in every way is the best team in the NFC hands down.

I thought this whole post was based on you thinking someone said the Cardinals were paper Tigers? I don't believe I have seen anyone on here insinuate this although I don't pour through every post.
The Cardinals are a good team with a little over a third of the season left .whos hot and injury free in December and January?

The Seahawks aren't AS good and that's very evident. We're 5-5 but had our chances in a lot of close games and that's all I could ask for. So yes we could've lost to the Lions but we would coulda shoulda beat Cincy,STL,GB, Carloina so we could easily be 7-3 or 8-2. I don't even hate AZ, if they went to the Super Bowl I'd most certainly root for them. I can't say the same thing about SF or STL.

All I wish for at this point is to squeak in to the tourney and then see what happens.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
morgulon1":2ksn21yb said:
ringless":2ksn21yb said:
morgulon1":2ksn21yb said:

I thought this whole post was based on you thinking someone said the Cardinals were paper Tigers? I don't believe I have seen anyone on here insinuate this although I don't pour through every post.
The Cardinals are a good team with a little over a third of the season left .whos hot and injury free in December and January?

The Seahawks aren't AS good and that's very evident. We're 5-5 but had our chances in a lot of close games and that's all I could ask for. So yes we could've lost to the Lions but we would coulda shoulda beat Cincy,STL,GB, Carloina so we could easily be 7-3 or 8-2. I don't even hate AZ, if they went to the Super Bowl I'd most certainly root for them. I can't say the same thing about SF or STL.

All I wish for at this point is to squeak in to the tourney and then see what happens.

Right, Ringless still hasn't stated where the paper tigers thing came from.

If he listens to sports radio down here in Phoenix, it may come from there as the afternoon guys totally blew a comment from Mike Salk way out of proportion. They HATE Seattle and bag on them all them time, total inferiority complex down here.

The NFL is always a game of inches, but this year we may see that magnified. The two top teams record wise in the NFC are decent at best, the Packers are struggling and Seattle, the reigning champs, have been inconsistent.

There quite literally are probably 5 or 6 teams that could all win the NFC this year without an ounce of surprise.