Parkinson to Rams (3 years, 22.5M)

Rat

Reaction score
Parkinson is worth that IF he can stay healthy. Clearly the Rams saw something they liked and they definitely had a close-up view of him twice a year. I think he was the most versatile of our 3 TEs in 2023. I recall him being injured a lot the first two years.
Yeah, was hoping he could develop into our Mark Andrews. Felt like he wasn't used enough, but I've been wrong before. Wouldn't mind bringing Fant back; Brock Bowers in the draft would be a dream.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
He'll probably have a career year with them next season, it feels like a good match. He'll put up good numbers, cause LA will utilize him correctly. They get the most out of their offensive weapons.

And if this were last season, he'd probably torch us for 75 yards and a TD in both games. But I'm feeling more optimistic about our defense this season.

flv2

Reaction score
Obviously you guys saw him more often than I did. I didn't think he was a particularly good blocker. He was too tall and ungainly to block quick guys but he lacked the bulk and lower centre of gravity to block big guys. He was getting more snaps and looking more comfortable but he wasn't a natural receiver either. I'm not shocked at the price, but it's an overpay. At least it fills a hole the Rams have been desperately weak at.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
I was hoping they'd keep him around, sucks that he won't be on the team anymore.

It sucks 3 times as much because he's going to the ******* Rams of all places, and will probably be utilized to his full potential playing like a beast while we sit here thinking "he could've done that here"

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
That contract would only net us a 6th round comp pick. A lot of these deals look like big money early in free agency, but it's a product of an increasing market with increasing money.
Except that’s not exactly how comp picks work. Comp picks are based off of how many guys you lost vs how many you signed. That’s the simple version.

If they sign someone else at a higher rate than Parkinson got, then they get no comp pick because the higher salaried signing essentially makes the parkinson loss null and void.
That’s the more complex version.

There is an even more complex version that no one outside of a couple people in the NFL office knows how it works. This is the part where you get compensation for minority coaching hires off of your staff to another team.

We won’t have any idea how this years free agency will affect any potential Seahawks comp picks until next year. Basically keep an eye on how many guys they sign vs how many they lose and what the salaries add up to.

You get more guys than you lose or end up paying more for the guys you get than the guys you lose and you get no comp picks.

Rat

Reaction score
Except that’s not exactly how comp picks work. Comp picks are based off of how many guys you lost vs how many you signed. That’s the simple version.

If they sign someone else at a higher rate than Parkinson got, then they get no comp pick because the higher salaried signing essentially makes the parkinson loss null and void.
That’s the more complex version.

There is an even more complex version that no one outside of a couple people in the NFL office knows how it works. This is the part where you get compensation for minority coaching hires off of your staff to another team.

We won’t have any idea how this years free agency will affect any potential Seahawks comp picks until next year. Basically keep an eye on how many guys they sign vs how many they lose and what the salaries add up to.

You get more guys than you lose or end up paying more for the guys you get than the guys you lose and you get no comp picks.
I'm aware of that. I was saying IF Parkinson ends up counting towards the comp pick formula (in this scenario we didn't sign anyone that cancelled him out), the pick would end up being the equivalent of a sixth rounder. I brought that up to show that the league doesn't consider it a huge contract.

The comp pick formula is in the CBA now, so we do know ahead of time.

Jville

Reaction score

That's alot!!! Wow

That's going to hurt. He's going to be a monster for them.

Smart signing by the RAMS. Colby Parkinson is unique. The size of the contract suggests Colby figures prominently in the Rams 2024 plan. He improved his blocking and versatility over the course of last year. His development as a NFL tight end is virtually complete.

Perhaps we'll witness Colby deliver on that long envisioned promise of becoming a touchdown machine with the Rams.

DeSeahawk

Reaction score
Would have liked to have him back, but yeah it seems a little high. Good luck to him, but I hope his new team takes a big dump

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Not worried one bit. They overpaid for an average at best tight end. Good for him, but I see no need for hang wringing here.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Maybe Mac wants a more utility TE like Dissly who can run block well and catch, we were heavy in pass catchers light in Blockers, why Dissly was important. Running the ball and the trenches are the foundation of Grubbs experience.
The Ravens had Mark Andrews for a TE. If Mac is seeking that type of TE, it will be hard to find. Andrews is TE2 in the league behind only Travis Swift er...Kelce.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep. As soon as I saw he signed with the Rams, I wanted to get on here and read the "This front office sucks" posts. Or people acting like they just let a HOF TE go.

Sure, it didn't happen, but I was kind of hoping :)

GemCity

Reaction score
That’s nuts. I don’t think I’d pay him that but, he definitely showed flashes.

Our TE situation though….yikes.

Jville

Reaction score
Maybe Mac wants a more utility TE like Dissly who can run block well and catch, we were heavy in pass catchers light in Blockers, why Dissly was important. Running the ball and the trenches are the foundation of Grubbs experience.

That's the direction i am entertaining as well. The versatility to line up in multiple spots. Better play disguise. Projecting uncertainty. Maybe greater emphasis on quicker change of direction.

Versatility is key. Hello Brady Russell & Tyler Mabry.