Pass Interference and replay

D

DomeHawk

I thought we weren't supposed to post non-Seahawks threads here?

Having said that, the NFL is beyond cheap, this is the wealthiest sport in the world and they have referees who referee the game on Sunday and milk cows the rest of the week.

At the risk of stating the obvious, we need full-time PROFESSIONAL referees who are trained and evaluated based upon not only how well they officiate, but how fast they respond.

Worst non-call ever?

Yep.

Won't be hosting the yearly gathering at my place and won't be watching.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
DomeHawk":1idfr29u said:

Having said that, the NFL is beyond cheap, this is the wealthiest sport in the world and they have referees who referee the game on Sunday and milk cows the rest of the week.

At the risk of stating the obvious, we need full-time PROFESSIONAL referees who are trained and evaluated based upon not only how well they officiate, but how fast they respond.

Worst non-call ever?

Yep.

Milk cows? lol, what is this 1945?

Refs are full time now, cause everyone thought that's why they sucked, they weren't committed to understanding the rules.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... this-year/

Now we're finding out they're just incompetent, and the rules are too complicated........and IMO most of them are too old. We need to change the way the NFL hires refs, they shouldn't have to go up through the high school, every college division and THEN be eligible.

The college national championship game's a perfect example of how well a game can be reffed, those young college refs are fast, sharp, in shape and on it. Why do we have 50 and 60 year old ass NFL refs that can't even keep up with 20 and 30 year old players, let alone make snap judgement calls with how fast the game is played now.

D

DomeHawk

Sgt. Largent":3kdlsiw5 said:
DomeHawk":3kdlsiw5 said:

Worst non-call ever?

Yep.

Milk cows? lol, what is this 1945?

Refs are full time now, cause everyone thought that's why they sucked, they weren't committed to understanding the rules.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... this-year/

Now we're finding out they're just incompetent, and the rules are too complicated........and IMO most of them are too old. We need to change the way the NFL hires refs, they shouldn't have to go up through the high school, every college division and THEN be eligible.

The college national championship game's a perfect example of how well a game can be reffed, those young college refs are fast, sharp, in shape and on it. Why do we have 50 and 60 year old ass NFL refs that can't even keep up with 20 and 30 year old players, let alone make snap judgement calls with how fast the game is played now.

24 of the leagues 121 officials are full-time.

"This year, the NFL announced today, 24 of the league’s 121 officials will be full-time employees." https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... this-year/

And yes, one of the NFL's part-time referees is a dairyman the rest of the week.

aawolf

Reaction score
So, with the proposed new rule change, could we have challenged the block-in-the-back that didn't get called on that 3rd and 15 where Dak ran it up the middle?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
DomeHawk":3u2otapx said:

"This year, the NFL announced today, 24 of the league’s 121 officials will be full-time employees." https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... this-year/

And yes, one of the NFL's part-time referees is a dairyman the rest of the week.

So you think making all 121 officials full time will do anything? I don't, because I don't think the problem is that they don't spend 40 hrs a week training and looking at film.........and we just made 24 head officials full time, paid them more and the officials just had arguably their worst year ever.

- too many new rules to interpret, most of them subjective
- speed of the game

I think I read that there's been more rules changed and/or implemented over the past 5 years then the prior 50 combined. So if we want all these new rules that we're expecting old men running around confused half the time to call perfectly, the only way to do that is to incorporate replay more somehow.........and IMO get younger refs.

D

DomeHawk

Sgt. Largent":3diknj7g said:
DomeHawk":3diknj7g said:

So you think making all 121 officials full time will do anything? I don't, because I don't think the problem is that they don't spend 40 hrs a week training and looking at film.........and we just made 24 head officials full time, paid them more and the officials just had arguably their worst year ever.

- too many new rules to interpret, most of them subjective
- speed of the game

I think I read that there's been more rules changed and/or implemented over the past 5 years then the prior 50 combined. So if we want all these new rules that we're expecting old men running around confused half the time to call perfectly, the only way to do that is to incorporate replay more somehow.........and IMO get younger refs.

Yes I do and not because they are just "full-time" officials in name only, but because they DO (should) spend 40 hrs a week training.

There is some value in having older officials for their wisdom but I agree that most are too old also.

I mean, it's unbelievable, the NFL has more money than God, spend the freaking money!

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
Place me firmly in the accountability camp. If you can't call a proper game, you should be ran out of the league. Performance should be the hallmark. I don't hate the idea of a booth official to help out--but as it is now, I wait several seconds after any positive play, just to see if we're going to be walking it back. A booth flag would make that even worse and make the game unwatchable. No--get it right, or get a new job.

I love the human eye for baseball. Especially at 3rd base and home plate. You want to review a foul ball or a homerun, so be it. But they also play 162 games. We only get 16 in the NFL, so something HAS to be done to fix this.

These blown calls DO make it feel rigged. I've done a ton of research lately, or for those of you who feel like the NFL is rigged or that it's possible by are too afraid to say it without a caveat in your posts, don't be. There is PLENTY of evidence out there to support your theory. The one I always think about, that proves that it's not always about what goes down on the field, happened in 2008/09. I think it was Chargers vs Stealers. (yes, still call them stealers) Pittsburgh was winning a close game. I don't remember the exact score, but I think it was 11-10 Pittsburgh, and Polamalu picked up a fumbled lateral on a desperation play by the Chargers and ran it in for the score as time expired. Game ended 17-10 I believe. Then all of a sudden after everyone was off the field and the broadcast had wrapped up, they changed the call on the field. I'm remembering MINUTES going by. Stealers were a 4 point favorite in that game, so that TD gave them the spread. If I recall, the big money in Vegas that week was on the Chargers and the points, so that reversal appears to have strictly been based on the gambling public. Go find the play, that shit was a TD. Ever since that day, I've known the NFL aint always honest. Not to mention they are licensed as an entertainment league as opposed to a sporting one.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Even if pass inference was reviewable it still wouldn't have helped the Saints. It was a non call, that will never be reviewable.

Erebus

Reaction score
I would allow everything to be challengable, including non-calls, but only throw a flag on a replay if there is indisputable proof that it had a significant impact on the outcome of the play. So that would rule out most facemask calls, roughing the passer, etc. That way a coach can't just challenge every big play looking for a penalty somewhere in it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Erebus":rq0nxuiw said:
That way a coach can't just challenge every big play looking for a penalty somewhere in it.

Coaches aren't allowed to do this now, that's why you see the coach explaining to the ref after throwing the flag exactly what he's challenging.

So that'd be the same I'd imagine. Can't just throw a challenge hoping for something.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Or the refs could just call the blatant PI and the Saints could be in the Super Bowl right now. It wasn't even close, it wasn't even debatable. :roll:

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":2zn4wnwh said:
Even if pass inference was reviewable it still wouldn't have helped the Saints. It was a non call, that will never be reviewable.

If they apply the rule the way it is in the CFL for PI you can challenge non-calls if you think there was PI. After review they can determine there was PI. Same goes to missed head shots to the QB.

beaumaris

Reaction score
DynoHawk":39prmi8i said:
It has been reviewable in the CFL for many years. Just sayin
NFL could learn quite a few things from the CFL,and College football.
Especially where overtime is concerned.Both teams must have an equal shot of scoring in O/T.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Si,

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck?

Probably a duck.

So let me tell you a story. It was the NBA playoffs (pretty sure it was Suns vs Spurs) and there were a number of bad calls in that game. I was up in arms about it because it feels rigged. Anyway the New York Times reporter called and did an article on how this one felt steered. They interviewed me, published the article but nothing else came off it.

Except....

Years later an NBA ref plead guilty to unevenly calling games to feed his gambling habit and to pay back organized crime. It turns out we weren't crazy after all.

The thing about people is they will push boundaries, and they will take advantage until the risk gets too great. We have already seen the sheer sums of money that NFL wins drive. You are really saying they wouldn't do it? They have a financial incentive. They have people enabling them when blatantly caught. There are a number of stakeholders that benefit directly from steered outcomes. None of them would be tempted?

The NFL itself benefits from certain outcomes. They wouldn't either? People lie, steal, and cheat when the benefit outweighs the risk. I see no reason the NFL would be different. Nor the refs themselves. And we have seen enough games that sure look like a pattern of behavior that is getting more egregious as they realize people will let it slide.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":ycar642y said:
Si,

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck?

Probably a duck.

So let me tell you a story. It was the NBA playoffs (pretty sure it was Suns vs Spurs) and there were a number of bad calls in that game. I was up in arms about it because it feels rigged. Anyway the New York Times reporter called and did an article on how this one felt steered. They interviewed me, published the article but nothing else came off it.

Except....

Years later an NBA ref plead guilty to unevenly calling games to feed his gambling habit and to pay back organized crime. It turns out we weren't crazy after all.

The thing about people is they will push boundaries, and they will take advantage until the risk gets too great. We have already seen the sheer sums of money that NFL wins drive. You are really saying they wouldn't do it? They have a financial incentive. They have people enabling them when blatantly caught. There are a number of stakeholders that benefit directly from steered outcomes. None of them would be tempted?

The NFL itself benefits from certain outcomes. They wouldn't either? People lie, steal, and cheat when the benefit outweighs the risk. I see no reason the NFL would be different. Nor the refs themselves. And we have seen enough games that sure look like a pattern of behavior that is getting more egregious as they realize people will let it slide.

Can I ask why you watch sports Twisted if you think it's corrupt? Seems like a waste of time.

flv

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":29tblvds said:
flv":29tblvds said:
Refs don't want to make judgement calls at the end of games. They also use different standards for making judgement calls in the playoffs. It shouldn't be that way but it is, and it's been that way for a long time. I'd like the officials to get calls right and i'm not against instant review. I just don't think the NFL will willingly agree to changing the replay rules - despite the numerous amendments that have previously been proposed.
The only way to get better calls by the Refs is to have them be held accountable. When a Ref gets six "bad calls" confirmed in a season, then they ought to be suspended the rest of the season. Should this happen two seasons in a row, then they are fired.
Holding refs accountable may, or at least should, result in better officiating. By the same token it's pretty clear that there isn't that accountability and taking the point further the only logical conclusion is that the NFL doesn't want better officiating. Why would the NFL want completely accurate officiating? Lesser teams can't succeed without a modicum of favourable luck and completely accurate officiating reduces the chance of that favourable luck. Random luck leads to greater parity and parity increases NFL income. If the NFL wanted the same standard for judgement calls in both the regular season and the playoffs it would have dealt with it long before now.

flv

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":13yeapjb said:
That's a really good point.

OP
OP
Uncle Si

Uncle Si

Reaction score
flv":1v2bgd4o said:
seahawkfreak":1v2bgd4o said:
That's a really good point.

You can throw challenge flags on incomplete passes, incorrect spots. Why would you not be able to throw a challenge flag for that?
Theres no rule as it stands, how could someone say it cant be reviewable

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":36xnhs5v said:

Again, whoever says this does not know how it works in the CFL. A coach can chellenge a play where there was no call, and callenge if he thinks there was pi. They can they call it and enforce the penalty based on the review. If the CFL rule was in place in New Orleans. Peyton would have thrown the flag, they woud have reviwed it and ruled pi, applying the penalty. Unless the replay officials are complete bozos and rule the play stands as called.