Pay Wilson Or Not..

John63

Reaction score
justafan":1mdk4z5g said:
This isnt a bash Wilson post. We pay him in my opinion. He is the best we have ever had here.

In the Dallas game he had 6 3rd and makable plays that didnt result in a first down.

On a day he had the highest rating among the QBs this weekend , the team went 2 for 13 and 6 were 3rd and 7 or under on pass plays that failed. He had the opportunities.

I will let others debate why they couldnt convert 2 or 3 of those that may or may not have won the game but he had chances to change the outcome. Audibles, scrambles or just hitting the open reciever I dont know. He will almost always come away with high QB ratings,low turnovers,high comp. % and keep the game close enough to pull out at the end but Saturday was winnable whether you agree with the playcalls or not. He isnt perfect but even with holes in his game the stats look like he was the best on Saturday and I dont think he was on crucial plays.

Okay first 7 yards on 3rd is considered long. 6 yards or more on 3rd down is considered long.

That said lets look at each 1
1 one 3rd and 2 so there is 1
2nd 3rd and 13
3rd was 3rd and 6
4th 3rd and 7
5th 3rd and 7
6th 3rd and 3 but was before the half w8ith time running down that still is 2
7th 3rd and 6
8th 3rd and 17
9th 3rd and 7 oh by the way we went for it on 4th and made it
10th 3rd and 5 we made and we made 3
11th 3rd and 6
12th 3rd and 20
13th 3rd and 10

So let's see only 3 that were 3rd and 5 or less. PC himself said to many 3rd and long

"What is Third-and-Long?
A situation in football where a team is faced with need to generate significant yards, typically more than 6 yard, to get a first down on their third down. Generally, teams will punt the football on the fourth down so third-and-long situations require the team to generate the yards needed on that single play, which limits the play options."

https://www.sportingcharts.com/dictionary/nfl/third-and-long.aspx

as to the rest your opinion, which the facts, stats, and experts disagree

John63

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":2idinpgr said:
Seymour":2idinpgr said:
Zman...
Wilson accepted just under Rodgers $$ the first time, and I see no real reason he doesn't hit near Rodgers $32M this time either. $40 million? Come on man. No need to exaggerate to that degree to make your point. Now i wonder if the other numbers are accurate??

You've got the wrong Rodgers when it comes to the issue of Wilson's contract. It's Mark Rodgers and Frontline Management that's relevant here, not Aaron.

"I see no reason" is not a valid argument, those are your feelings talking. Nothing to do with reality.

It was my "feeling" earlier this year that RW was more into winning than he was getting top dollar. When I expressed my feelings on the subject, someone with far more insight into the business world of sports smacked me down.

Every bit of info I've come across indicates that Rodgers is going to play hardball (pun intended) with the Seahawks. If you spend a few hours searching, you'll come across the that number several times -- that Rodgers is set on 40 million a year.

It seems completely outrageous to me, and I want it not to be true.. but what I think is outrageous and what I don't want has nothing to do with high end sports salary negotiations.

I think paying a DE 25 million a year is crazy... but, you know....

The problem with all this is when he was up for a new contract last time, all the research showed he was going for 28mil plus, and guess what not true. Negotiating 101 starts high and negotiate from there. Team start at say 23 they start at 40 they come together about 32, However, the wildcard is who else gets singed while they negotiate.

LTH

Reaction score
Aros":3lts25b0 said:
Sigh.

Russell Wilson is a ONCE IN A GENERATION QB.

Shall we revisit the 1990's? Do we have THAT short of memories?

Kemp? Friesz? Gelbaugh? McGwire? Shall I go on?

You pay him top dollar because he is WORTH IT.

Or don't. And let's pay a bunch of peripheral players top dollar and watch how much it translates to SQUAT when you have some average shlub as QB. Let's see how that works out for us.

:roll:

You betcha!! Where is the like button?

LTH

CPHawk

Reaction score
If some of you ran this organization, we would be worse than the Browns or Mariners. Wilson has been by far the best QB in team history, and yet people still want to not give him his dues.

justafan

Reaction score
John63":1j8mgp15 said:
justafan":1j8mgp15 said:
This isnt a bash Wilson post. We pay him in my opinion. He is the best we have ever had here.

In the Dallas game he had 6 3rd and makable plays that didnt result in a first down.

On a day he had the highest rating among the QBs this weekend , the team went 2 for 13 and 6 were 3rd and 7 or under on pass plays that failed. He had the opportunities.

I will let others debate why they couldnt convert 2 or 3 of those that may or may not have won the game but he had chances to change the outcome. Audibles, scrambles or just hitting the open reciever I dont know. He will almost always come away with high QB ratings,low turnovers,high comp. % and keep the game close enough to pull out at the end but Saturday was winnable whether you agree with the playcalls or not. He isnt perfect but even with holes in his game the stats look like he was the best on Saturday and I dont think he was on crucial plays.

Okay first 7 yards on 3rd is considered long. 6 yards or more on 3rd down is considered long.

2nd 3rd and 13
3rd was 3rd and 6
4th 3rd and 7
5th 3rd and 7
7th 3rd and 6
8th 3rd and 17
11th 3rd and 6
12th 3rd and 20
13th 3rd and 10

So let's see only 3 that were 3rd and 5 or less. PC himself said to many 3rd and long

"What is Third-and-Long?
A situation in football where a team is faced with need to generate significant yards, typically more than 6 yard, to get a first down on their third down. Generally, teams will punt the football on the fourth down so third-and-long situations require the team to generate the yards needed on that single play, which limits the play options."

Experts disagree on climate change and that coal should be part of our future. Watch the game again. Mistakes were made.

John63

Reaction score
justafan":tnn29svo said:
John63":tnn29svo said:
justafan":tnn29svo said:

2nd 3rd and 13
3rd was 3rd and 6
4th 3rd and 7
5th 3rd and 7
7th 3rd and 6
8th 3rd and 17
11th 3rd and 6
12th 3rd and 20
13th 3rd and 10

"What is Third-and-Long?

Experts disagree on climate change and that coal should be part of our future. Watch the game again. Mistakes were made.

I never said mistakes were not made, I just showed you were wrong about the number of 3rd and longs. Mistakes are made in every game, by every team. None of which changes the fact that they waited too long to adjust and you can argue all you want but your HC Pete Carrol said so.

justafan

Reaction score
John63":1fp3dnvv said:
justafan":1fp3dnvv said:
John63":1fp3dnvv said:
justafan":1fp3dnvv said:

2nd 3rd and 13
3rd was 3rd and 6
4th 3rd and 7
5th 3rd and 7
7th 3rd and 6
8th 3rd and 17
11th 3rd and 6
12th 3rd and 20
13th 3rd and 10

"What is Third-and-Long?

I never said mistakes were not made, I just showed you were wrong about the number of 3rd and longs. Mistakes are made in every game, by every team. None of which changes the fact that they waited too long to adjust and you can argue all you want but your HC Pete Carrol said so.

I think an elite QB like Wilson needs to play better on 3rd down if you want to get to a SB.In todays NFL 3rd and 6 and 7 are not that big of an obstacle. Behind schedule yes but not huge for an elite QB.

John63

Reaction score
justafan":2aqxckgd said:
John63":2aqxckgd said:
justafan":2aqxckgd said:
John63":2aqxckgd said:

2nd 3rd and 13
3rd was 3rd and 6
4th 3rd and 7
5th 3rd and 7
7th 3rd and 6
8th 3rd and 17
11th 3rd and 6
12th 3rd and 20
13th 3rd and 10

"What is Third-and-Long?

I think an elite QB like Wilson needs to play better on 3rd down if you want to get to a SB.In todays NFL 3rd and 6 and 7 are not that big of an obstacle. Behind schedule yes but not huge for an elite QB.

Really not a big obstacle, then why is it every team struggle with 3rd and long. Even in general that means all distances the best 3rd down is under 50%, So now add that is 6 or longer, sorry the facts show they are a big deal. come back when you have a stats that show easy it is to convert a 3rd and 6 or long. Till then the Facts show it is hard. Though I do like how you change your tune when you got caught making a false statement about the number of 3rd and longs. OH and last I checked Pete Carroll knows more than you adn he said the same thing, they should have started throwing sooner.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
The market is never going to go lower, only significantly higher so you lock him in now with a $32 mil per 5 year extension because in just a few years the top guys will demand $50 mil per year. And you’re never going to find a 4th qtr clutch QB on the open market. With Pete’s offensive philosophy, you’re always going to need a guy at the helm that can bring a team back late in the game and Wilson has shown time and again he’s the man.

For the teams that think they’re going to draft the next Mahomes or Watson, maybe they’ll strike gold after countless attempts but we have an opportunity to continue on with a proven commodity that yields consistent results.

justafan

Reaction score
John63":2ber2n6y said:
justafan":2ber2n6y said:
John63":2ber2n6y said:
justafan":2ber2n6y said:

Really not a big obstacle, then why is it every team struggle with 3rd and long. Even in general that means all distances the best 3rd down is under 50%, So now add that is 6 or longer, sorry the facts show they are a big deal. come back when you have a stats that show easy it is to convert a 3rd and 6 or long. Till then the Facts show it is hard. Though I do like how you change your tune when you got caught making a false statement about the number of 3rd and longs. OH and last I checked Pete Carroll knows more than you adn he said the same thing, they should have started throwing sooner.

I said makeable 3rd downs.I never said they were 3rd and short.He had opportunities was all i said. If you want to win in the playoffs you need to make more than 15% of your 3rd downs and more than 0-6 on 3rd and 7 or less IMO. Right or wrong, you depend heavily on the QB.

John63

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":2yxjduvj said:
The market is never going to go lower, only significantly higher so you lock him in now with a $32 mil per 5 year extension because in just a few years the top guys will demand $50 mil per year. And you’re never going to find a 4th qtr clutch QB on the open market. With Pete’s offensive philosophy, you’re always going to need a guy at the helm that can bring a team back late in the game and Wilson has shown time and again he’s the man.

For the teams that think they’re going to draft the next Mahomes or Watson, maybe they’ll strike gold after countless attempts but we have an opportunity to continue on with a proven commodity that yields consistent results.

This!!

Tinymac2

Reaction score
I think you have to pay him. You do not have to change the offense because you paid him. Until JS drafts the heir apparent, this isn't really debatable.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3u40a94p said:
Sgt. Largent":3u40a94p said:
old, worn out and grumpy.

Title of your sex tape...

:D Easy Peralta.

Of course you resign Wilson. The best QB we ever had and currently one of the best in the league. He is a weapon that other teams have to account for. An average QB is not. The cogs and sprockets in Pete's system work because of him, and if Pete's going to continue to be here, we better have Russ. Lets face it, Wilson has won with crap coaching for years (Bevell) and will continue to do so (Shotty).

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":2rsmlrqi said:
It all comes down to whether we sign him closer to 30 million or to 40 million.

If we bargain him down we can MAYBE keep Reed.. but we lose Clark for sure.

If we pay him 35 million or more, we lose both Reed and Clark... and we're right back to square one - absolutely no chance of competing for a Superbowl.

Russell's cap hit is already 26M next year, another 5-6M in base with 10M of that spread out in bonus over 5 years isn't going to break the cap.

Reed should be reasonable as well, 12M or so per year. But yes Clark is the wildcard cap buster.

Seymour

Reaction score
KJ Wright was on 950 and sounds like he doesn't think they are planning to sign him (contrary to what flim flam Pete speaks). No contract discussions going on with him, and he is planning to look at offers.

They are likely waiting to see the Kendricks verdict and giving him first crack from the sounds of it. Bummer....he is a great dude. :(

Point being....they are looking to save for something like Wilson, Wagner, Reed, Clark.

iigakusei

Reaction score
I personally would be shocked if KJ is back. He would be wanting something like $8-10 million per year wouldnt he? No way we can pay him that with Reed and Clark to get done.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":1hlogttk said:

If we pay him 35 million or more, we lose both Reed and Clark... and we're right back to square one - absolutely no chance of competing for a Superbowl.

This is exactly why I have a strong opinion on not to do this..Get weaker all
around for what?I thought the goal was SB's and if that's not happening
then time for a change.
You go against common thinking and get strong all around.
Plug a game manager in there until the next great one comes
but you have a better shot at SB's spreading the cap around.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":2ec9oi52 said:
KJ Wright was on 950 and sounds like he doesn't think they are planning to sign him (contrary to what flim flam Pete speaks). No contract discussions going on with him, and he is planning to look at offers.

They are likely waiting to see the Kendricks verdict and giving him first crack from the sounds of it. Bummer....he is a great dude. :(

Point being....they are looking to save for something like Wilson, Wagner, Reed, Clark.

I heard him as well, and yes it sounds like he's gone...........and as much as I love me some KJ, I agree. We've got Russell, Bobby, Jarran and Frank to extend, and big needs all over the roster to fill for starters and depth, with only four draft picks.

I can't see where giving KJ anything other than an incentive type one year deal so he has one more year to stay healthy to try and cash in is wise for us.

But then again, what's the market going to be for a WIL LB that was injured all year? I can't imagine someone's going to give him even starter LB money on a long term contract.

chris98251

Reaction score
KJ has miles on him, when he is right he can still play, but the roulette wheel has a lot more red area now and it keeps adding more every practice and game KJ is involved with, he had a procedure done again to a knee he had before. If and big if Kendricks is not going to be in any long term trouble it's a pretty easy decision, plus you have Calitro and Griffin in the wings.

This Front office has got burned with 3rd contracts not by the players but by time and downs creating high mileage and the odds of injury's happening.

Seymour

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1j6uz0bi said:
The_Z_Man":1j6uz0bi said:

This is exactly why I have a strong opinion on not to do this..Get weaker all
around for what?
I thought the goal was SB's and if that's not happening
then time for a change.
You go against common thinking and get strong all around.
Plug a game manager in there until the next great one comes
but you have a better shot at SB's spreading the cap around.

Weaker "all around" is another big exaggeration. Wilson gets $32-34 million or you get a Ryan Tannehill for $20m.
You go with Tannehill and save $14 million. That gets you 1 great player or 2 good ones but hardly weaker "all around".

Time to reboot your panic button IMO.