Penix

GemCity

Reaction score
That’s weird, as the hawks did interview Daniels. What do they want to do, execute a Trey Lance style trade?

I’d stick at 16 to get either Penix or Nix or McCarthy.
JS throwing smoke.

Remember all the QB selfies last year?

Never shows his cards…definitely raises fans stress levels a bar or two 😂

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I don’t have a problem with interviewing Daniels but why the hell not Penix? Have they even interviewed Nix and McCarthy?

CactusJack

Reaction score
I don’t have a problem with interviewing Daniels but why the hell not Penix? Have they even interviewed Nix and McCarthy?
Because they only get to meet with a total of 45 prospects at the combine. That's the maximum allowed. You meet with guys that you want to learn more about.

Grubb knows Penix. So, there's really no need to meet with him.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I would expect said visits to go to these two them, but so far no word

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
From NFLDRAFTBUZZ.com

SCOUTING REPORT: STRENGTHS​

• Has a big strong arm, is able to effortlessly throw a deep out without any effort. The Sugar bowl proved he was more than capable of making any NFL pass with ease
  • Exhibits elite field generalship; excels in dissecting defensive alignments pre-snap, ensuring high-percentage throws post-snap.
  • Shows touch on deep balls and intermediate routes, demonstrating an ability to drop dimes in tight coverage.
  • Shows continued progression in arm mechanics, adept at layering throws over linebackers and under safeties with precision.
  • Routinely identifies mismatches and exploits secondary weaknesses with rapid progression reads.
  • Instills confidence in his receiving corps, delivering throws that allow for yards-after-catch opportunities and highlight-reel grabs.
  • Displays pocket mobility with subtle slide and step-up maneuvers, maintaining downfield focus under duress.
  • Able to quickly bounce back from setbacks - has a short memory - just what you need in a signal caller
  • Physical toolkit meshes well with pro-style offenses; has the build and athleticism to extend plays and absorb contact at the next level.

SCOUTING REPORT: WEAKNESSES​

• Penix's game could benefit from further refinement, particularly in achieving consistency and precision in pocket drop timing, impacting his ball placement.
  • Experiences occasional accuracy lapses across various field zones, especially on finesse throws, potentially linked to his unorthodox and elongated throwing motion.
  • His extensive injury history, including multiple ACL tears, raises durability concerns, a critical factor for quarterbacks in the demanding NFL environment.
  • As a left-handed quarterback, Penix may pose a challenge for some NFL teams that would need to adjust their offensive scheme to suit his playing style.
  • Penix's age and extended college tenure may limit perceived upside; at 24, scouts question his potential for development compared to younger prospects.
  • While capable of quality throws, Penix's arm mechanics sometimes slow his release, offering defenders a split-second advantage in the quicker pro game.

SCOUTING REPORT: SUMMARY​

Michael Penix Jr. is a modern NFL quarterback, combining precise passing, athleticism, and a high football IQ. His proficiency in making every throw and his leadership in the pocket distinguish him as a compelling prospect for the 2024 NFL Draft. While concerns about his injury history and being 24 at draft time persist, his arm talent and resilience position him as a top quarterback prospect.

Penix, despite potential worries about his age and past injuries. His character, demonstrated by his tribute to teammates at the Heisman ceremony, highlights his leadership. His record at UW and resilience through injuries underscore his NFL readiness.

As a top-tier player in UW's history and a close contender for the Heisman Trophy, Penix has proven his skill and determination. His journey of overcoming adversity and dominating at Washington signals a player prepared for the challenge of the pro game.

We currently don't expect him to last longer than pick 20 in the first round of the 2024 NFL.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Question for you. Let’s say at 16 we have penix, nix and McCarthy available. Which of these three do you want?
Nix would be my pick.

I was not a Nix guy necessarily. But the more I watched his film, the more I liked him as a prospect. I have my concerns with Penix. Those are mostly tied to his health & mobility. Meanwhile, I just haven't seen enough out of McCarthy to take him that early.

I think you could realistically grab Nix somewhere in the late 1st to early 2nd round. That's my expectation. You could trade down (16) & pick up more draft capital in the process.

Last edited:

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
McCarthy is the epitome of a one read QB. No thank you.

As not excited about Nix as I am, I'd take him in a heartbeat over McCarthy. Good God.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I’d rather have JJ than Nix, even if Nix has a bit better accuracy. At least JJ has a gun. But both of them feel like good college QBs. If they could both get picked in the 3rd+ rounds and not have an expectation of starting they'd have much better chances.

Penix would be a top 5 if he wasn’t going to be 24 with multiple season enders. Probably doesn't help that he's a lefty.

CactusJack

Reaction score
He's 21. Good grief, cut the guy some slack.
Which is understandable. He could still develop into a good player. But he hasn't shown enough on film for me to take him in Round 1.

Last edited: