Penix

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Here's my logic:

Jake Locker was drafted #3 overall. Michael Penix is much better than Jake Locker. Therefore, Michael Penix will be drafted at #1 or #2 overall.

Prove me wrong.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Jake Locker was the #8 pick. But still was drafted higher than most thought he would be.

Not that it matters, but there you go, proven wrong. He was picked 8th in the draft.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I tried to bet on when he would get drafted, no takers. Oh well, he's gonna' be 1st round, imo. Some were saying 3rd round. Not really here to argue, but that's hilarious. It was then and it still is.

warden

Reaction score
I'll say it again he's off the board before we pick at 16, if he's not? we're taking him. Though a trade back is attractive given the current holes in the roster I will admit. the ultimate would be a trade back and get him in the 2nd round but that's just not realistic considering the QB needy teams in front of us. the best thing for him would be for him to land here and not some shit team like the Raiders.
Yeah, he may not be an option at 16. If available at 16, our team is gone to have to put some serious thought into it

WarHawks

Reaction score
Yeah, he may not be an option at 16. If available at 16, our team is gone to have to put some serious thought into it
It would be managerial malpractice not to pick him at 16 if he's there. After his rave review pro day, I seriously doubt he will be.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Sure feels like he ends up with the Raiders. Just a guess. But I can honestly say that I went from thinking Late 1st early 2nd to thinking he goes top 15 now.
It's not uncommon for something like this to happen at QB. Passing all the medicals with flying colors, plus killing it at the combine and his pro day etc. Add that to the fact that he's a flat out winner and total team guy, class kid, all of it. And no, it's NOT just because I'm a UW fan, he just throws the ball differently. Period. He is one hell of a passer.

Last edited:

WarHawks

Reaction score
I have reservations about him, but if I had to choose, I'd certainly take him over Howell. Penix is an assassin who can sling it, no doubt. If he had a better NC game, he would be top 5 for sure.

Ostatehawk

Reaction score
Sure feels like he ends up with the Raiders. Just a guess. But I can honestly say that I went from thinking Late 1st early 2nd to thinking he goes top 15 now.
It's not uncommon for something like this to happen at QB. Passing all the medicals with flying colors, plus killing it at the combine and his pro day etc. Add that to the fact that he's a flat out winner and total team guy, class kid, all of it. And no, it's NOT just because I'm a UW fan, he just throws the ball differently. Period. He is one hell of a passer.
Why put that evil on Penix? Going to the Raiders is a death sentence - they still have the stink of Jamarcus Russell and his "Purple Drank" all over them.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I have reservations about him, but if I had to choose, I'd certainly take him over Howell. Penix is an assassin who can sling it, no doubt. If he had a better NC game, he would be top 5 for sure.
A lot people just want to judge him on one bad game, when the entire team had a bad game. Seems odd, but that's ok. All opinions.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
There is a weird irony that the absolute perfect landing place for Penix would have been a team run by Carroll.

He is the Carroll wet dream of QBs.

-Incredible accuracy w/ long ball.
-Does not take sacks.
-Rarely throws INTs.
-Doesn't throw much over the middle.
-Gets rid of the ball quickly.
-Makes great reads presnap
-Can throw with perfect leverage against inside or outside leverage by the CB
-Back shoulder throw genius

Add in being flush w wide receivers and a run game purpose planned to open up the passing game?
Carroll would have walked to the playoffs repeatedly with Penix.

Wsumatt1982

Reaction score
I tried to bet on when he would get drafted, no takers. Oh well, he's gonna' be 1st round, imo. Some were saying 3rd round. Not really here to argue, but that's hilarious. It was then and it still is.
In all fairness what round you get drafted in means nothing as a QB from a talent standpoint on so many levels. Every draft is different. Team needs and desperation are different. Going to the right place matters a million times more than what pick you’re selected.

With that said. I like Penix, I really do but I don’t see him making it as more than a solid backup in the nfl. I would love to eat crow, especially if he is drafted by Seattle. I’m rooting for the guy I just can’t see the hype.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
sliding a bit to the back half of the 1st could be the best thing to happen to Penix, garbage franchises ruin good QB prospects. Caled could be all world and I think the bears will fock it up.

Ostatehawk

Reaction score
In all fairness what round you get drafted in means nothing as a QB from a talent standpoint on so many levels. Every draft is different. Team needs and desperation are different. Going to the right place matters a million times more than what pick you’re selected.

With that said. I like Penix, I really do but I don’t see him making it as more than a solid backup in the nfl. I would love to eat crow, especially if he is drafted by Seattle. I’m rooting for the guy I just can’t see the hype.
Agree - Talent to be sure - and if the Hawks get him (doubtful IMO) I will root for him to be a huge success. But he relied far too much on tossing up 50/50 balls to Odunze anytime he was in trouble. You can't do that in the NFL - you will get picked. Odunze is/was a freak and was almost always playing against guys who simply couldn't hang with him in a jump ball situation.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Did you watch him play? Honest question. This guy threw passes in to tight windows unlike any QB in country. If you honestly think he's just throwing up 50/50 balls all the time, you didn't watch him. His back shoulder throws and/or dropping one in the bucket is as good as it gets. Dude is flat out nails.

Last edited:

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Agree - Talent to be sure - and if the Hawks get him (doubtful IMO) I will root for him to be a huge success. But he relied far too much on tossing up 50/50 balls to Odunze anytime he was in trouble. You can't do that in the NFL - you will get picked. Odunze is/was a freak and was almost always playing against guys who simply couldn't hang with him in a jump ball situation.
Clearly didn't watch him.